Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maybe an option near the beginning of the game to have NPCs call you something besides your screenname? A lot of people have screennames with like weird random letters that look funky and a bunch of random numbers in them because the exact screenname you want is usually taken, but it doesn't seem too much to ask to store a seperate value on the account for an alternate, casual name for NPCs to use that CAN be duplicated amongst the userbase unlike real screennames, while real screennames are still used for functions like whispers. It's kind of weird to walk up to a guard and they're like "Oh hello there Xx~0201grrrrawrargh1020~xX, how are you today?" I mean, how many *real* people use your entire screen name when they refer to you?

Granted you could say that it's the user's fault for having such a weird screenname, but I think that a good deal of them weren't created under the assumption that a Gaia MMO would be created in the future, thus they would have been created to be read, not repeated in an alien context as part of an otherwise coherent sentence by a computer program.

Basically, this would provide the function of unique screennames (whispering, identification) without the drawbacks ("nicknames" could not be "taken" like screennames, and are created and used in a more correct context).

Thoughts?
I believe that the NPCs should maintain their professional distance and call me by my full name. I don't want them to be too presumptuous.

Ice-Cold Abomination

14,325 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Tessa Illyanovich
I believe that the NPCs should maintain their professional distance and call me by my full name. I don't want them to be too presumptuous.

This.

All that needs be said.

Professional Novice

User Image
Anyone who would give themselves such a name in the first place probably does care what anyone calls them. Besides it serves them right for having such a terrible name. xd

Shy Werewolf

User Image The Way of the Sword User Image
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Eh, with the amount of work and memory required, it's not comparatively such a big deal. The thought has crossed my mind before, though, of NPCs calling me Blade (like most others do) but it's not something I'd like the Devs to spend time doing.

Undead Enchantress

In terms of seniority, I will be called Erin and you with thus be referred to as The.
Oh. I wonder what the NPCs will call me? Foxy? Fox? Ox? Oxy?
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery...

Heh I think it's better to keep it as it is. If people don't like an NPC calling them by their insanely long username, they should just change their name. User Image

...but Today is a Gift. That is why they call it the Present.
Do you know what you're seeing here...

i can see the usefulness of this, but i can see problems with it. mostly it's not worth the complexity to program because no matter the NPC says to you, it's no affecting overall gameplay.

the most beneficial woudl be how your name appears on shout, but the problem is then you could see about 20 Marshall's, and then where woudl we be.
keep thinking!
Fantastic!
Oh well. That's what they get!
TheErin
you could say that it's the user's fault for having such a weird screenname

3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers