Welcome to Gaia! ::

So over all, how was this contest for you guys?

It was really fun and I'm pleased with the story I wrote. Let me know when you hold another. 0.7027027027027 70.3% [ 26 ]
Nice concept but it just didn't inspire me. 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 1 ]
The idea was stupid but hey, my story was still pretty awesome. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Eh, it was alright, I've been in better. 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 1 ]
The idea was good but it needs new management. You made a sucky host. 0.054054054054054 5.4% [ 2 ]
I don't care, I didn't even enter this contest. 0.18918918918919 18.9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 50 51 52 > >>

User Image

Greetings Gaians of the Writer’s Forum. I am Caesural and this is my first ever writing contest. Go easy on me. As you can see, the theme of this contest is famous last words. I have a list of famous last words from fictional characters and your task will be to take one of the lines and incorporate it in an original story as one of your characters last words before dying. Sounds fun, no?

|~*Overview*~|~*Rules*~|~*Logistics*~|~*The Lines*~|~*Judging*~|~*Likes and Dislikes*~|~*Entrants*~|~*Blacklist/Whitelist*~|~*Advertisements*~|~*Winners*~|~*Open/Updates*~|
User Image
User Image

1. Follow the ToS. This really shouldn’t need to be said. They’re in place for a reason. If you get banned it’s not my fault. 3nodding .
2. Be original. This is an original fiction competition. Ergo, fanfiction is not allowed, plagiarism (can’t believe I have to actually write this) is not allowed, and while reusing old stories is not strictly forbidden, if your line doesn’t seem to fit, you probably won’t win.
3. Your piece must be a minimum of 500 words. There is no maximum and honestly I suggest you go far over the min. I don’t see how you can do a good job with what I want you to do in 500 words. If you manage it though, brownie points.
4. No more than three (3) entries. Awards don’t stack and honestly, I think it’s better for you to put a lot of effort into one piece than spread it over three. Leave it up to talent not up to chance.
5. Don’t pm me! If I pm you first that's different but I don't want like ten people blowing up my inbox with repeat questions and stuff. Post your questions here and your entries here. Post them proud for the world to see.
6. No flaming. That said, I will allow constructive critiquing. If you don’t want it, post so at the end of your entry. I personally think criticism is instrumental in growing as a writer.
7. No spamming. This means no trolling, no page stretching, no random posts like “I like cheese” and “this is the sole of my shoe”, and absolutely no begging. Please no begging. It’s annoying. Feel free to bump or chat though. Preferably chat.
8. You must use one and only line from the list. I’ve got a limited number of lines and want as many people as want to join to join. If you need context clarification, all quotes were found on wikiquote or you can just ask. You may NOT choose a line other than what I’ve got up here. That just sucks the fun right out of it, don’t you agree^^. Also, you can't just quote the line. If the quote is “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done”, it won’t count for you to write, “'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done,' David said, quoting his favorite book”. That’s a cop out and will thus disqualify you.
9. I reserve the right to add more rules later. Betta recognize^^.

|~*Overview*~|~*Rules*~|~*Logistics*~|~*The Lines*~|~*Judging*~|~*Likes and Dislikes*~|~*Entrants*~|~*Blacklist/Whitelist*~|~*Advertisements*~|~*Winners*~|~*Open/Updates*~|
User Image
User Image

Prizes (What Everyone Wants to Know)

1st Place: 30k
2nd Pace: 15k
3rd Place: 10k
Funniest: 2k
Saddest: 2k
Most Creative: 3k
My Personal Favorite: 5k
Kisa's Personal Favorite: 5k
Ryiel's Personal Favorite: 5k (Possibly)

Fees (Cower in fear!!!)

Rejoice everyone for there is no entry fee; this one's on me. If you want to donate though, feel free. All donations sent to Caesural will go toward this contest's prizes or a future one's.

Dates (I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as they fly by)

July 3— OPEN 4laugh !
Aug 15— Closed gonk .
Aug 23— Winners Announced blaugh !!!

User Image

Are you insane?! taken by Tofshnogin

Never shall we die. (at Ryiel's request) taken by Asphalt Lion

But... I'm a little tired. Please... let me rest for a bit. taken by 0Kyuu0

Come lightning; give me a funeral worth remembering! taken by Eternity Eclipse

Come on, you can do better than that! taken by Inu2Gura

Despite what you may think, I am not the enemy, we are not the enemy. But if you shoot me, that’s exactly what we’ll become. taken by Faust Gilraen

Dying sucks... don't it...? taken by noMintheletterI

Guys? I don't feel so good... taken by Grike

I only kneel before God. I don't see Him here. taken by ken-san1990

I wanna see how it ends. taken by Alexander J Luthor

I won't be a monster! taken by Schraufl

I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king. taken by SnowRune

I...I love... taken by Childlike Fantasy

I’m melting. taken by RosesShadow

I'll come back again, if you want me to. taken by kappy-and-tea

I'm so sorry.taken by Wolf_Lover999

Is this the history chosen by mankind... What fragile things humans are.taken by MadMaddy1200

It was a pleasure playing with you sport. Now get out. Get out while you can.]taken by Tyman0618

Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes.taken by RosesFallingLikeRain

Look! No hands!taken by QueenofMidnightRoses

Loser. taken by clovereffect

Oh Danny, for God's sake— taken by Chigotsa

Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that. taken by Toikey

Oh s**t, we're all ******** by SneakyGeeky

Oh... Yes. The sun, can you see it Goliath? It is beautiful. taken by dark_muse008

Oh? And what is that? taken by Lady Amalthea Serafina

Over our dead bodies!

Sometimes I just kill myself.taken by Sealeereon

Thank you. You've always been a good friend. taken by Shallarinath

That's the way it works. taken by Sunshine Civilization

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not wander... taken by Schizophrenic Nightmares

What will happen to your children once I've killed you? When Mummy's gone the same way as Freddie?taken by javi721

You promised you'd come play with me. taken by Chester French

You're...not...real... taken by Mayfall

I must admit, these are some of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen. Cherish them. taken by dark_muse0008

You believe in mercy don't you? taken by Rahaziel

I have to tell him... I have to. taken by EdElricRules

I did do the right thing, didn't I? taken by Zana Bonanza

You liar. taken by Stand Alone Origin

I know it cannot be, but I wish I could go to where you have gone. Oh, I wish I could join you there. taken by N a n n e r p u s

Are you going to fight me, boy? taken by MadMaddy

...because I just swallowed a cyanide pill... taken by WolfmoonFANG

You lied... right? Saying stuff like wanting to kill me... that you hated me... taken by senribear

You b*****d! You sanctimonious bas- taken by InkDreamer93

I just didn't want to be a loser anymore. taken by Proud_to_be_Pinoy

How...does...it...feel...to be...so beautiful? taken by Miki Vee

Never mind, it stopped. taken by Walkinthevoid

INITIATING SHUTDOWN SEQUENCE. YOU BASTARDS. taken by fangurl_dreamz

I can't feel anything. taken by Elisabeth-Z

Do you even appreciate why we did this thing? taken by Lady Nekochan

Good thing you told me your name. taken by _-0-_ Notos

Sorry friend. I've gotta catch this fish on my own. taken by Slash3334

It hurts! Stop!

I know, Cass. Isn't it cool? taken by Lady of the Nightrose

User Image

First let me introduce your fabulous judges^^!

Myself, of course (and my main account Delitescence)
Ryiel (the mean one)
Kisa_the Silent (the quiet one; it’s always the quiet one)

We will be judging you based on the below criteria:

Execution
This is how well you used your line, how well you portrayed your concept, and how well you presented your story. You can have one of the most cliché stories in the world but if it is engaging and you’ve done it well, you won’t be deducted here. FYI, this is the most subjective criterion of the three. How much the other judges and I like your piece factors in here.

Creativity
Basically this is just how original you were in your story. While you may not have had points deducted from the execution heading for a cliché story, they will be taken from here. Points are also deducted from here if your line was not taken significantly out of its original context.

Grammar/Spelling/Style
Spellchecker is your friend. Love it, treasure it, use it. There is no excuse for repeated lapses in spelling and grammar (unless you are ESOL or in character at the time) and I will be very unimpressed with you if you exhibit such. Ryiel will probably b***h slap you.

User Image

Likes (How to Win Brownie Points)

I like:
· TITLES!!! (Untitled works bother me)
· Violence/gore/horror
· Double entendres
· The supernatural
· Verbal irony
· Religious undertones
· Gay relationships (these must be wellwritten--if you can't then don't)

Ryiel likes:
· Fantasy/magic
· Well created/thought out/logical/realistic characters
· Good, well thought up plot
· Well thought out coming of age stories (What can I say, they are touching in some weird way)(Are they now Ryiel. In what way and place is that? -C)
· Don't aim to please me, aim to write well (That is really good advice. Follow it. -C)

Kisa_the Silent likes:
· Violence
· Wit
· Double meanings
· Sarcastic humor
· Dirty jokes

Dislikes (How to Annoy the Crap out of Us)

I Dislike
· Endless angst (Just because someone is dying doesn't mean your story has to be sad)
· Wimpy women (I think she doth protest too much)

Ryiel dislikes:
· Cheap a** allusions (I really don't know what he means -C)
· long writing (so say what needs to be said without dragging it out with side details)
· Lack of decent/convincing characters
· Lack of decent plot (I don't care WHAT it is, just as long as it doesn't cross over my tolerance level for "disbelief" )
· teen/highschool stories (they are never written well anymore but if you can, kudos)
· Fail grammar
· Twilight or anything reminiscent
· Gay characters (the crappy a** "I'm gay, see my frilly shirt and the flower in my hair and the way I hold my hand at my side and how I'm always jumping around and acting so... so, like, totally... GAY!".) (I'm certain he does not mean to sound homophobic or to offend anyone here.)

Kisa_the Silent dislikes:
· Helpless people flailing about
· Overly depressing people or situations (Oh gag me with a spoon)
· Flatly stated and/or superfluous facts (He washed and conditioned his hair. He did this because he wanted his hair to be shiny and healthy-looking. That’s why you’ll find that he washed and conditioned his hair twice daily. Once in the morning and once at night.) NO

User Image

1. Untitled by Tofshnogin~ Page 5
2. The Gambler by clovereffect~ Page 6
3. Their Sinful Ways by Ken-san1990~ Page 7
4. ALEA IACTA EST by Asphalt Lion~ Page 9
5. Sound of the Ocean by Sunshine Civalization~ Page 9
6. Musical Miss Murderer by Childlike Fantasy~ Page 10
7. For the Birds by kappy-and-tea~ Page 10
8. Three Words by Toikey~ Page 14
9. A Moment of Hatred by senribear~ Page 16
10. Forewarned, Forearmed by MadMaddy1200~ Page 16
11. Demonic Reflection by Lady of the Nightrose~ Page 17
12. Seventh Deadliest by Walkinthevoid~ Page 26
13. Caligo Obit Luctem Albam by Elisabeth-Z~ Page 27
14. The Hell Chronicles by SnowRune~ Page 30
15. Don't Tempt Fate by The Real SilverMyst~ Page 30
16. An Unfinished Story by Alexander J Luthor~ Page 31
17. The Final Knell of The Dead King’s Bell by Shallarinath~ Page 33
18. Lethal Accuracy by MadMaddy1200~ Page 33
19. Untitled by fangurl_dreamz~ Page 33
20. Funny How the Mind Works by EdElricRules~ Page 34
21. Recordatio by Stand Alone Origin~ Page 34
22. Untitled by Chigotsa~ Page 34
23. Just Like the Movies by _-0-_ Notos~ Page 35
24. After Sunset by N a n n e r p u s~ Page 35
25. Perched Birds by Lady Nekochan~ Page 35

User Image

Black List:

Breaking the rules consciously (namely pming me) and repeatedly will land you here. You don't want to be here.

1. Akihana Haruna
2. I Wanna Brownie

White List

This is a happy place be. Strive to be here 3nodding .

1. Smexy Mad Hatter; thanks so much for the donation, amazing one!

Advertisements/Banners

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

I promise you guys this was an extremely difficult decision to make and I wish I was rich enough to give you all prizes because there was some serious talent in this competition. However, I am not made of money, pixelated or otherwise and so had to narrow it down with judging help from Kisa and Tezzy. That said, here are those winners that stood above the rest.

1st Place: An Unfinished Story by Alexander J Luthor
(For creating a beautifully haunting story that stays with the reader days after having read it and is just as poignant each time it is read)

2nd Place: For the Birds by kappy-and-tea
(For writing about renewal in a story about death)

3rd Place: Lethal Accuracy by MadMaddy1200
(For an enjoyable read and delicious irony)

Honorable Mention: Caligo Obit Luctem Albam by Elisabeth-Z
(For being so good that I had to add an Honorable Mention)

Funniest: Don't Tempt Fate by The Real SilverMyst
(For having me literally ROFL)

Saddest: An Unfinished Story by Alexander J Luthor
(Because even though I said awards don't stack, awarding this to anyone else seemed like robbery)

Most Creative: The Hell Chronicles by SnowRune
(For taking a line somewhere completely unexpected)

My Personal Favorite: Three Words by Toikey
(For moving me)

User Image

Alright guys, let's get to it then^^.

NOTE

The lines cannot be reused and it's first come, first serve so if you want to reserve a line then do and when you choose a line let me know. It would suck to write your story then realize someone else had already used your line. 7/3/09

A little clarification: The line you use must be someone's dying words!!! The line must be the last thing they say before dying. I can't emphasize this enough. Your entry will be invalid if the dying character says anything after speaking your chosen line. Happy Independance Day, btw, assuming you celebrate. 7/4/09

New lines have been added. If someone feels the need to change their line, you have one time to do it. 7/15/09

Okay guys, tomorrow I am setting sail for Mexico (ariba User Image !!!) and I don't know if I will have the time or the ability to get online. I hearby turn over management of the thread to Kisa_the Silent (she will update the entrants list and such) and maintenance of the thread to Nivi (aka Ryiel) (he will answer your questions and entertain you with conversation, won't you Niv?). As the rules go though, I do not want you blowing up their or my inboxes with pms. It's grating. Just post in the thread and they'll get to you (I hope). If not, I give you permission to take your frustration out on Ryiel by drawing and quartering him. Sound good? 7/22/09

I'm BAAAA-AAACK! 7/27/08

Also, due to a very generous donation from the one and only Smexy Mad Hatter, the top three prizes will be increased by 5k. I'll fix that on the prize post eventually. 7/27/08

I'm back from orientation, which was a long, obnoxious and grueling process, thanks for asking but it is over now. Okay, people, here's the deal: I am officially BLACKLISTING for pming me if I or one of the judges didn't pm you first. Blacklist means, you're disqualified from this contest and any other contest/giveaway I hold in the future AND I will report you as spamming my inbox. Don't do it! I promise you it's not that hard. Post the line you want, your story, and any questions you may have ON THE THREAD! I know I haven't been on lately but Ryiel, Kisa, or myself will get to you at some point. Pming wil not get you a faster reply as checking the thread is the first thing I do when I get on after getting the DCs. Got it? Okay? Have I made my point crystal clear? Does everyone understand? No one do it again. So that said, who wants a cookie? 7/31/09

Can we say: MINI CONTEST!!! Tomorrow on August 3rd, in honor of World Wide Randomness Day, I'm going to hold a randomness contest. The mini contest will be open to only those who reserved lines prior to page 25. You will be allowed one random post between 12am and 11:59pm tomorrow and whoever's is funniest gets a prize between 1k and 5k (haven't decided yet). Nothing too obscene, nonsense is ok but randomness that makes sense amuses me more. Cheers and enjoy. 8/2/09

Ok, I mentioned this in passing but I figured I'd actually put this here so it's all official-like. The deadline is extended...by two days. It was rather pointless to make it the thirteenth since I won't have the opportunity to even look at them until the 16th (15th is move in day! Yay!!!) so yeah. Late comers who are bogged down in crunch time, thank thine lucky stars or whatever deity you choose to worship. New deadline is 11:59 August 15, 2009. We all clear. There are no exceptions to this final deadline. Hobey ho, let's go. 8/11/09

Internet is mine once more twisted ! Anyway, due to the delay of no internet and college troubleshooting on my end, judging will be pushed back to the 1st. Now, this is the important part: ALL ENTRANTS POST THAT YOUR STORY IS ON THE LIST. I would really hate to miss you. 8/17/09

Here's the deal, mes cheres. Due to extenuating circumstances (illness, college level hecticness, swine flu, acts of god, and shitty internet) I have lost one judge and another will not be finished judging on time. I (Caesural) however, will be finished judging by September 1st. My question to you is would you rather have the results on the first as planned based solely on the scores I've given you or wait a few more days to give the remaining judge time to finish up so that you may have the averaged scores of the both of us. The choice is yours, I'm fine either way and do apologize for things falling apart at the end after you guys were so great. Sorry. emo 8/30/09

A week is a week. Winners announced. Everyone has a crit so if you want it, post that you want it pmed or posted. It's been a pleasure working with you guys. 09/08/09
Posts to assert dominance over thread^^.

Shameless Raider

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
Awesomeness, thanks Em. I'm working on one too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff