Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you like zombie novels? Do you have a favourite author or book? Do you read them at all? Do you hate them and wish they never existed? I want to know what you all think.. Don't hesitate to post, and I don't want arguments between anyone over difference of opinion, we're all allowed to think differently =)
I dislike 'em. While I do believe nearly anything has potential, I haven't seen the zombie novel really try for that potential beyond a few mediocre comedies and two 'of the dead' movies (one of which was a great comedy).

A) Everyone who has useful skills dies, leaving one a*****e and possibly his girlfriend to die horribly, the end

B) The author forgets about the zombies and 90% writes about how the left over population turns into rapists and 10% of the time the main characters try to stop a mad scientist whose plan won't work anyway, so they're wasting their energy, time, and resources.

C) No one ever mentions why a zombie attack would fail (hills, stairs, animals, cold, heat, time)

D)People keep using the 'let's cure zombie' plots, which defy basic logic

E) Zombies are given superpowers that are either boring or ridiculous

Zombies suffer the same problem as most horror movies: That's all that defines it. Slasher movies, monster movies, vampire horror movies, disaster movies, all tend to be defined by the enemy, which little more than special effects go into developing them. The heroes aren't interesting, the plot is 'escape X', usually there's sex to make it sell and that's it--maybe an attempt at science that makes you faceplam or something political or preach that makes you roll your eyes.

Are all horror or zombie movies like this? No. Are all horror movies like this? No. But sameness and repetitiveness is cheap and easy, making them the majority.

If you write a good zombie story, I'd probably read it, but it'd need to be more interesting than the schlock for that to happen (if you want to write schlock for those who like schlock, go ahead, I won't think less of you).
I only read one novel. It was by Stephen King. I just realized now that he did a fine job in portraying the gory depictions. It's a bit harsh, is describing things about zombies and whatnot. I wonder how well pulled off the other novels are. Anyway, I LOVE the theme of a zombie apocalypse. It's the most thrilling thing that could ever be possible. That's just my thoughts.
I wrote a short a while back with zombies in it. It was an excuse to poke fun at zombie stories and movies in terms of a few issues that always had me scratching my head. I haven't really read any zombie stuff. I've seen quite a few movies ranging from terrible to good.
I find them to be just the same old, same old. Plus, I could never buy into the whole slow-a** threat of your classic zombie. I mean, how much of a threat is there when a brisk walk leaves 'em in the dust? I just couldn't, didn't get it.

Gash

Eloquent Sex Symbol

I wrote my dissertation on curing and creating disease in post millennial science fiction cinema - and touched upon the zombie narrative a lot. I love it. Really do. I even love the awful ones, I get annoyed and shout out how wrong they are but I love them still.

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
The Phoenix Rises Again

It sounds like you haven't read World War Z. The characters aren't that fleshed out because it's written like a journalistic account of the event, but it's really interesting and brings a lot of things together to explain how the zombie pandemic would work and how people react to the threat. Quite a fun read in my opinion. Usually, I don't really like zombie novels, much less movies (they all look the same to me: gross, boring, and a sad excuse to pull out improvised weapons.) World War Z is the only zombie novel that managed to keep me really curious as to what was going to happen. Oh, and it's very different from the movie, so don't be misguided by the movie trailer. XD

Firebreathing Duck

6,625 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
I think the only
undead walking book
I have liked was Warm Bodies
and that was a bout it in truth
in how he wrote it well from a zombies
point of view of all things.
oXAmy-CakesXo
Do you like zombie novels?

I can't say I like them, I can't say I hate them either. What I can say is that I've never bothered to read one, and have no desire to start. I don't like the way the subject matter is handled.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
To me, zombie plots are one of those things that aren't inherently bad or boring, but a lot of people just use the same types of stories and settings over and over again, which turns me off from them. Like Phoenix says, not a lot of authors try for something different. People wander a post-apocalyptic land trying to survive while zombies chase them. Ooooh, real original. Yes, I know that not ALL zombie novels use that plot, but a large portion do.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
GashNburn
I find them to be just the same old, same old. Plus, I could never buy into the whole slow-a** threat of your classic zombie. I mean, how much of a threat is there when a brisk walk leaves 'em in the dust? I just couldn't, didn't get it.

Gash

Not to mention zombies being depicted as walking corpses. A walking corpse wouldn't be walking very long in most environments. Its wounds can't heal, and since they're usually pretty clumsy, that's going to be a problem. Bugs and scavengers would probably try to eat them. And if there's extreme heat or cold, the zombie isn't gonna last two days. I live in south Texas. My "plan" for a classic zombie apocalypse involves locking myself inside for a few days. Wait until the heat makes the bodies fall apart. Also, biting isn't a great way to spread a disease, especially if the infected one is very slow moving.

Greedy Capitalist

Zombies have become so popularised that they're just not scary any more. What's scary is what people in those situations do to each other.

Diligent Sophomore

3,850 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
FindingJackie
The Phoenix Rises Again

It sounds like you haven't read World War Z. The characters aren't that fleshed out because it's written like a journalistic account of the event, but it's really interesting and brings a lot of things together to explain how the zombie pandemic would work and how people react to the threat. Quite a fun read in my opinion. Usually, I don't really like zombie novels, much less movies (they all look the same to me: gross, boring, and a sad excuse to pull out improvised weapons.) World War Z is the only zombie novel that managed to keep me really curious as to what was going to happen. Oh, and it's very different from the movie, so don't be misguided by the movie trailer. XD

I was wondering if someone would bring up World War Z. I'm only partway through it, but it's the only zombie book I've ever read that actually made me THINK about what would really happen if some sort of zombie plague actually happened, because the logic of it and the way it's described as starting is so human. The book could very well be about just any old type of disease outbreak followed by rioting, honestly.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
The Colonist
Zombies have become so popularised that they're just not scary any more. What's scary is what people in those situations do to each other.

That's been the case for a long time, not a result of the more recent fad. With the way zombies are usually portrayed, they're often not much of a threat unless the characters are idiots, or if they get surrounded.
FindingJackie
The Phoenix Rises Again

Actually, I was turned away it as the movies followed nearly all of what I posted was wrong. Either a) there is no cure as you have to die to be a zombie (you also lose limbs, jaws, guts, etc, so you wouldn't be able to survive even if there was a cure for death) or b)those aren't zombies; they're monsters called zombie with ridiculous powers. Not to mention the CDC exists and wouldn't let it become a pandemic, plus they'd explode, freeze, and be eaten pretty fast.

If it's way different from then how is it an improvement? Do the zombies act like zombies and not ants and water? Does the news report it properly? What does the CDC do? How do the zombies not freeze/explode/etc?

Is it like the comic about a zombie pandemic written by the CDC?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff