Welcome to Gaia! ::

The following is a very long, drawn out explaination of why you are an utter failure at thread making if you have to end all of your threads with a discussion tag. If you don't want to read any of it, you can use the sentence preceding this one as a summary of it's contents. I expect less than 25% of you will read it, but I fully anticipate 90% of you will have something to say on the subject anyways.

Quotes are from real threads. If you don't like being quoted, try copywrites rofl

What is a discussion tag: Many posters follow up the immediate body of their thread with an underlined, bulleted summary of points to be addressed for discussion. Traditionally, the look like this-

Quote:
Discuss:
- China
- Food
- Et cetera

They serve the purpose of informing the reader of what they are supposed to talk about in this particular thread. Sometimes they are presented in the form of a list of brief questions, othertimes they are simple outlines of the supposed context and importance of the thread.

Why some users use them: Nine times out of ten, discussion tags follow a post that is lacking in discussable content. Most often they are found at the end of little anecdotes about what happened to the poster that day.

Quote:
So I decided I wanted a switch... deleted my character, got a new haircut and eyestyle.

But now I've decided that I hate the haircut.

So I went back to delete my character again but... of course... the haircut I had (Amore) is one you have to buy. And I don't have enough gold to aford it.

With the money I spent on my fishing gear (my other get-rich-quick scheme) I'm now out 4850, which would have been enough to buy the Top Hat I've been questing for for ********' ever.

Discuss:
>Being funtionaly retarded.
>Stupid mistakes
>Donating money for my 2600g haircut, or my 4111g Top Hat.

Now really, why would I donate to anyone who makes a thread just to b***h about their own mistake as if any of us should care what they spend their gold on, or how badly they want that Top Hat?

Why you don't need Discussion Tags: Imagine you're writing an essay. It's just finished, but you're considering how to conclude it. Would you conclude it by listing off a simplified list of everything you addressed in the essay?

"I have talked about the following things in my essay

-Shelter for the homeless
-Tax payer contribution
-Government solutions"

is not a proper way to conclude an essay. It insults the intelligence of the reader. What you just wrote about should be perfectly evident unless you're or your readers are mildly retarded.

Likewise, a quickly summarized list of the things your reader just read about is a tactless way to spark a discussion. Discussion tags are put on lazy excuses for threads, where the thread maker couldn't actually think of anything interesting to say, and the thread posters are replying most generally out of boredom and the want for post count +1. Learn how to write a good essay, and you'll know how to write a fantastic, discussion worthy thread where lively discourse on the relative topics of interest comes naturally.

Anatomy of a thread

For your proliferation, I will not only b***h about the lazy uselessness of creating threads with discussion tags, I will offer alternatives. Fundamental basics of quality essay writing parallel perfectly to the aspects of a good thread. If you know one, you should have a relatively increased shot at succeeding at the other. But I don't know for sure, you could just be an idiot.

SUBJECT
In essay writting, the Title. You'd think it should be self explainatory, but here are some mind blowing examples of the type of misleading subject headers GDers make and the completely unrelated thread bodies that follow them:

Quote:
subject: i like popcorn
body: domokun

Quote:
subject: People online aren't what they seem... -New Topic-
body: ...Basically, the person you may be talking to is not going to be the mr. perfect or mrs. perfect they seem to be. ...
I only post this one here to point out the fact that, while the thread itself is new, the topic isn't. It's been beaten to a bloody, unrecognizable pulp, and yet she still manages to zombiefy it into a "new" topic.
Quote:
subject: Bush Sucks, b***h!
body: Have you ever noticed all the hate threads get the most posts?
Why are people addicted to controversy?
HOw did the fad of adding b***h to every other word start up?

Disscuss chure opinions

While in most cases the subject is of relevance to the thread body itself, it doesn't prep the reader for what they are about to read. Ask Zahir, misleading thread subjects are not allowed in the GD.

Next time, try picking out the main subject, like you would for you discussion tag, and putting it in the SUBJECT box :3

THE BODY
The body of a good essay consists of several parts. As should the body of a thread. Briefly, they should include
-introduction
-thesis
-body paragraphs
--concrete details
--commentary
-conclusion

How do these pertain to thread making?
The introduction is where you introduce your topic. The thesis is where you state your opinion on the topic (90% of threads are made for the soul purpose of expression the thread maker's opinion, this part should be a piece of cake), the body of the thread consists of concrete details (examples, real life anecdotes, facts, figures) and commentary explaining the relevence of your concrete details to your thesis, and the conclusion wraps up, WITH OUT A SINGLE DISCUSSION TAG, the purpose of your thread, the interesting points of discussion, and your standing on the topic.

How much simpler could it be guys?

Finally, as a note of upmost importance...
A lot of people believe the GD is for more flippant, half hearted topics and that well thought out discussions belong in the Extended Discussion.

Here is proof, by definition, that the General Discussion IS Extended:
The mother ******** dictionary
discussion

n 1: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic

LEARN IT LIVE IT LOVE IT. True discussions do not need discussion tags. BOYCOTT them. Challenge yourself to better thread making. Expect higher from others. Tactful threadmaking incites discussion with out easy prompts.

People who have unofficially agreed with me and do not know they are being listed here as official supporters biggrin
Kahz
Rya's Mule
.[ CuRiOsA ].
Mephianse - the helper mod KTHNX
TheMoC
Candy_Chimes_Gurl
H4rdc0re
sinfultictac
j o p e t
ElberethArcamen
[ Tequila Sunrise ]
adamgnome
Oddly Bitten
Nimisha
Vicky
Spicy Warning
Oscillate Wildly
Warrior Bard
childsdragon
Billy Bilo
Pessimistic Amoeba
Joseph_Katsuya
BrandonP
Pink Tu Tu Of Death
NogginDew
Bite-Sized Chunklet
Tessiebean
Who does that? Surely you're not saying I do that! Who are you saying does that? rolleyes
core tactic
Who does that? Surely you're not saying I do that! Who are you saying does that? rolleyes
I'm not pointing any fingers but *points*
Ruby Doe
core tactic
Yeah, but in all seriousness, most people can't find a discussion without tags, and my topic gets moved when they're not there, even if there's plenty to discuss.
core tactic
Ruby Doe
core tactic
Yeah, but in all seriousness, most people can't find a discussion without tags, and my topic gets moved when they're not there, even if there's plenty to discuss.
Tactful thread making incites responses with out them.

People love to give their two cents. Especially in the GD, it shouldn't be so hard.
I haven't used tags in ages since they become all the rage.
My discussion tags tend to be more like summary tags some of the time. It's like, a concluding statement. =]

Though I tend to agree with you partially, that some topics put a tag at the end just to make the subject seem worthy of discussion. So it might be bad, but people actually do end up discussing things in the topic, so I've always felt that maybe some of them shouldn't be reported. I do like posting in topics more though that have a more discussable thing. Where, you don't just post once, but you actually talk back and forth on length about the issue. And of late I've been trying to make my own topics better.
Kahz
I haven't used tags in ages since they become all the rage.
Then join an official boycott.

In exchange, I'll officially boycott one thing you don't like.
Candy_Chimes_Gurl
My discussion tags tend to be more like summary tags some of the time. It's like, a concluding statement. =]

Though I tend to agree with you partially, that some topics put a tag at the end just to make the subject seem worthy of discussion. So it might be bad, but people actually do end up discussing things in the topic, so I've always felt that maybe some of them shouldn't be reported. I do like posting in topics more though that have a more discussable thing. Where, you don't just post once, but you actually talk back and forth on length about the issue. And of late I've been trying to make my own topics better.
You wouldn't conclude an essay that way, and there's no particularly good reason to conclude a thread that way. Just lazy reasons.
I don't use discussion tags.

It's pointless in my opinion
I agree with you.
What's the point of an opening post if all someone needs to look at are the discussion tags?

Shadowy Gaian

tl;dr, my adhd hates walls of text. ):

but in all seriousness, my discuss tags are usually questions and not words.
Kimberly Ferris
tl;dr, my adhd hates walls of text. ):

but in all seriousness, my discuss tags are usually questions and not words.
That is not a wall of text. It is beautifully landscaped post of paragraphs, indentations, quotes, headers, and italics.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff