Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Note: WILLYWONKASOKAWAIIDESU is spaming/trolling Willy Wanka crap so add to your ignore. 8D lol@spam ^^;

I've been noticing there is less things like dress like a n00b day and attempts at site-wide or forum-wide events by other users and I kind of miss that. I don't attribute this to laziness or anything but a combinations of things.

Growth of the Gaian Population and Aging
Maybe it's just to hard for users to police the large community now and events are becoming harder to organize. Require a lot of dedication that now, people are having less time of. Maybe some people cannot deal with 904w7094 PMs of 'when will the event start? 8D' The people who were capable of creating events are sick of it or have left (because of college/life). Since it's become more of a challege for another younger and maybe less dedicate member, to take up the torch.

Also the who childish "popularity" issues. Because Gaia is such a huge community it's becoming more and more of an issue. Which in this case, yes the user is getting notirity but I think they sort of deserve it. (And who ******** cares... dramallama ) As long as people having a good time and it brings the communitry together, I see no problem. There use to be solidarity between users who thought Gaia was a place to have fun.

Gaia community (not just the GCD) is regulating itself into smaller and more specialize groups and cliques. Guilds maybe a little more active and such... and there will be more guild events.

Gaia Community Projects=less PR
Admit it, the forum is slow and intimidating. Also, hardly anyone regularly go there. So the who cycle of it started in GCD (by getting input from other users) and moved to other forums doesn't work anymore. You have to start with a very large group of people who share similar goals. Then have them promote the event up the yin yang on their sigs.

Less Gaia pride because of the decile of the anime/fandom community.

We've seen it with anime... There are more and more people who are treating Gaia like a myspace.com and not the fun wonderland that it once was. Generally anime is not something we all have in common now because we are not considered an anime role playing forum anymore, though the style of the site is just anime. This place is now a "hang out" site or social networking site. >.>; Instead of people with common interest gather. Now it's just people with common friends to hang out in guilds. The stigima of anime is for losers and ******** you~`desu.

Are Gaian's thinking Gaia is less cool to be defined as Gaian?

After reading the following text, what can we do as a community to remedy this issue?
I'm pretty sure decile is not the word you're going for here. Decline, maybe.

I think it has a lot to do with the growth of Gaia. The dedicated older users start leaving as their interest wanes, and I can't blame them, when decent forums start going bad (believe it or not, the Anime forum was kind of interesting back in the day xD). Less community spirit, especially when you run into begging n00bs, crazy lamers and attempted scams more often as the population grows.

The GCP is unfortunately a bit of a wasteland now, since the GCD and GD and CB kind of went their separate ways; there's no really good way to promote a big project on all of the boards. Maybe once the admins stop updating features they can throw us a plot that requires/encourages site-wide cooperation c:

Dapper Conversationalist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
To be honest, I wish they'd never created GCP. For the points that you said. It's slow and hardly anyone goes in there. I liked it when we had projects in the GCD.

Not only that, but if you make a project in GCD, then make the same thing in GCP, the GCD one will get A LOT bigger than the GCP one. I have my own personal proof on that, but I don't want to sound like kid who didn't get their juice box, so I'll keep quiet on it. neutral
Cid High-Wind
To be honest, I wish they'd never created GCP. For the points that you said. It's slow and hardly anyone goes in there. I liked it when we had projects in the GCD.

Not only that, but if you make a project in GCD, then make the same thing in GCP, the GCD one will get A LOT bigger than the GCP one. I have my own personal proof on that, but I don't want to sound like kid who didn't get their juice box, so I'll keep quiet on it. neutral

I agree with you completely. I miss all those projects in the GCD. This is a more active forum anyway.

I've visited the GCP ONCE, in the beginning. Maybe I'll have a look-see to find out what it's like now.

Invisible Fairy

I guess it's hard when there's millions of users on the site and with no mass PMing, it can be hard to get the word out to every forum.
I like it when each forum does it's own projects. The last one we had was what? No pants day?
omaigod, a Wonka gore-troll. surprised

I miss reading about some of the user-made events when I lurked the GCD a year ago. Some looked pretty fun, although I never joined any.
Things like 'Nakie' day and 'Dress Like A Noob' day were the bomb.
I really miss having the threads in the GCD. I never really visit the Projects forum at all. sweatdrop
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yeah, there has been a decline in site-wide user-run events over the time Gaia has existed.

Part of the reason may be that the Gaian community has lost some of its closeness. Sure, many users in a certain forum bond together, but then there is the case of bickering between forums, popularity contests, and alike. I'm not saying that these issues didn't exist before, but they are more conspicuous nowadays.

It also has something to do with the decline of anime-inspired things on this site. It has become a social networking site (and I hate it) and has lost some--but not all--of its anime roots. In the beginning, a user's love of anime/manga/whatever connected them with other users on the site, but since Gaia has 'turned the tables', some users just come here to talk to other people. Everyone doesn't share the 'common bond' anymore. Then there's the whole 'anime fan = stupid weaboo' stigma that some people have adapted into their Gaian personas. rolleyes

And yes, there's always the case of the more dedicated older members leaving the site and leaving everything to younger--more inexperienced users. I'm not saying that newer users cannot be dedicated, but the older users are usually the ones who set up user-run events.

-snickers- I hardly check the Gaia Community Projects subforum. I forget that it's there sometimes.

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
ensoul
I'm pretty sure decile is not the word you're going for here. Decline, maybe.

I think it has a lot to do with the growth of Gaia. The dedicated older users start leaving as their interest wanes, and I can't blame them, when decent forums start going bad (believe it or not, the Anime forum was kind of interesting back in the day xD). Less community spirit, especially when you run into begging n00bs, crazy lamers and attempted scams more often as the population grows.

The GCP is unfortunately a bit of a wasteland now, since the GCD and GD and CB kind of went their separate ways; there's no really good way to promote a big project on all of the boards. Maybe once the admins stop updating features they can throw us a plot that requires/encourages site-wide cooperation c:
Yep. I'm inbetween the emotes of gonk & rofl

I believe you. *sigh* Less dedicated users and more spam spam spam and non-discussable topics. But I think every problem has a solution... Or maybe it's my wishful thinking. No it's true~! We just need more advance forums of PR and better ways to regulate ourselves. Like paying new users for sig adds and s**t... and using advance programmiing to check it out.

Aww~ sadness. I think part of the problem is this attitude that there is no answer. And let's blame the admins (because it's GCP fault... that's part of it) or wait for the admins to encourage us. I think there still are enough dedicated users out there, that if they do decided to put there minds together can figure out a way/plan to regulate or encourage certain things.

Sure a little help from the admins is good, but why do users underestimate their own power?
The site has become so large that everyone has split off into their own groups, which inevitably happens in large communities. Part of the problem with trying to form a feeling of community again is that when someone wanders into a forum they don't often frequent, regulars of that forum act unfriendly, forcing this adventurer back to wherever they came from, and further isolating Gaians.

I agree that it is now more of a hangout than an anime place, but it's still pretty easy to find anime lovers (just so long as you don't visit the AMC. Ironic, eh?).

By the way, awesome topic.

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
MIGHTY MUG
Cid High-Wind

I agree with you completely. I miss all those projects in the GCD. This is a more active forum anyway.

I've visited the GCP ONCE, in the beginning. Maybe I'll have a look-see to find out what it's like now.

I agree that is part of the problem. That is a reason we cannot fix. gonk Subforums just don't get enough attention and other reasons.

SOOOOoooo~ let's us focus on how we can fix this issue. Guild, though thought of as just hang out places. But what if everyone who wants this to change *cough* everyone posting in this thread *cough* all decided to get together and forum a common allience to promote users run events. Like how to run one, what do you do... blah blah~ figure out what is hard about promoting this event and find effective and more elaberate was to promote something. :3 Gaia is coming up with some (annoying but effective) ways to get users to do watching stupid a** movies. Is it so hard to think of better ways then say, sig banners, to promote something. If it help the community, I think it's worth it.

WE must evolve... the trolls have, the spammers have and the n00b have. SO MUST WE.

Kin Collector

Actually, there is one user-run event being organized (well, actually finishing touches are being added) right now. The link is in my sig, but as you say it's difficult to get the word out.

The 5th Annual Ball is scheduled for June 9th & 10th -- and lots of people have been working on it for a few months.

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Eli Alliteration
I guess it's hard when there's millions of users on the site and with no mass PMing, it can be hard to get the word out to every forum.
I like it when each forum does it's own projects. The last one we had was what? No pants day?

I don't even remember. Yesh it's been that long~ *sigh*

But yes it's hard but I think it just means we need to be more organize and get more people who want to help. Break people into groups that fit there needs and organize. Since there are more people, in theory, there should be more people willing to help. It's just some users either don't have the skill or courage (like myself) or confidence in the others to do that. :/

Blind Dog Pride
I miss reading about some of the user-made events when I lurked the GCD a year ago. Some looked pretty fun, although I never joined any.
Things like 'Nakie' day and 'Dress Like A Noob' day were the bomb.
Yeah me too~ back when I was shy. Now I'm not and they don't exist. *shakes fist in air*

Indeed, and I thought we would have more with Trisk community user run event thread. But that bombed... xD I know why but I won't get into that.

Bonding events such as these make Gaia, Gaia. So I wonder... why users aren't bringing issues like this up, especially in the GCD. Yeah~ Gaia sucks. *cries* The feature suck/don't work... I have nothing to do. Okay, then why don't we create our own fun? ;3
I would say the decline kind of started before last summer when there was talk of getting rid of the fanthreads and other threads because they were all "off topic". Of course then people were going so far as to make fan threads about NPC's that didn't even have names or faces *coughMikeTheCameramancough* but it got people talking and involved in things. The latest plot didn't help much either. Ever since then it's like there has just been less and less topics to really discuss... and that's another thing, most discussions have become "post and move on". It's really rare to find threads where people can discuss things anymore.

Hopefully when people go to the Gaia panels in the Con's this summer they can give us some stuff to look forward to and get people involved again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff