Welcome to Gaia! ::

Congratulations to the contest winner I read Leroux. Many thanks to all others who submitted, your participation is appreciated heart

The Gaian Theatre Company Presents...

Sail For a Little: A Pirate Scene Writing Contest

There once was a pirate / Who put out to sea

The Basics:

What: A contest to write a 200-400 word scene for potential inclusion in an upcoming Gaian Theatre Company script inspired by the lyrics to the song "There Once Was a Pirate," from the off-Broadway production of Spring Awakening (included two posts down).

When: Submissions in by June 1st, results announced and prize(s) awarded June 4th, for a production that will run, ideally, sometime in mid June-early July.

What for: 3k and that warm fuzzy feeling of seeing something you wrote performed.

Submit To: A PM to [O.G.]

Read on...
The Long Story:

There once was a maiden / Who wandered the mead

The Gaian Theatre Company, approaching a year of existance, has mostly, you could say, re-enacted existing popular theatre pieces. However, the questionable legality of this and our eagerness to push things in new directions leads us to an idea we've had for a long time but have yet to act on: original scripts written by Gaians.

Before we hand the pen over to strangers, however, we're trying this as a sort of experiment. What is this exactly? Well...

Many of the veteran actors of the Gaian Theatre Company have fallen in love with the Tony-nominated musical Spring Awakening. Before the musical moved to Broadway, its second act used to start with a song called "There Once Was a Pirate", sharing a vague story of a pirate and a maiden as a sort of metaphor for the character's feelings and situation. We do not in any way expect you to be familiar with the song beyond the lyrics in the next post, nor the musical Spring Awakening. The GTC would like to, out of our love of SA and our love of pirates (the fun kind, not the scary realistic kind), make a script inspired by this song. And we want your help.

We'd like participants to submit for us a scene including the pirate and/or maiden mentioned in the song. Any other characters of your imagination can be included also. Write it as the beginning of the script or some scene in the middle that would rely on some earlier action or development that you don't give us -- feel free. The scriptwriters of the GTC will write what fits in around it. Do whatever you want -- comedy, action -- the nature of the script will depend on the scene(s) we decide to choose.

As for script writing... It's not too complicated. Your scripts should be in a form similar to this:
Quote:
CHARACTER: Talk Talk Talk
OTHER CHARACTER: Talk Talk
(a scene direction if absolutely necessary and keeping in mind the limits of Towns)

Submit however many separate submissions as you'd like to [O.G.] by June 1st.

The Judges:

The judges currently volunteering are:

User Image Arqueete

Arqueete has been the head director and script adapter for the Gaian Theatre Company since its creation in addition to other contributions such as funding and acting.

User Image TheCameraman

TheCameraman has been with the Gaian Theatre Company as an actor since its creation and has played many notable lead roles in its productions. Outside of the GTC, TheCameraman is known for contributions to fanfiction in several fandoms.

User Image Goodtoady

Goodtoady was a part of the original group of Gaian Theatre Company actors. Though she does not act with the GTC anymore, she owns The Sphere Theatre where the group performs and is an avid supporter.

So what's the deal with this song?!
The Song:

He’ll sail for a little / ‘Til she finds him

If you really want to hear the song (you certainly don't have to), it's a bonus track on the OBCR of Spring Awakening and can be purchased off iTunes.

Here are the lyrics (written by Steven Sater):

Quote:
There once was a pirate
Who put out to sea
His mates all around him
No maiden on his knee
Oh sail for a little
A little little litte
Oh sail for a little
Til she finds him

There once was a maiden
Who wandered the mead
To gather blue violets
Her mama would need
A wail through the willows
All hollow through the willows
She’ll wail through the willows
‘Til she finds him

The sea was so violent
The crew went below
They begged him to join them
But he would not go
Oh sail a little little
For just a little little
Oh sail for a little
‘Til she finds him

Her heart was so laden
She fell by a tree
Sang of some pirate
Who haunted the sea
‘Til she finds him

(sail for a little)
(the willow willows)
(sail for a little)
‘Til she finds him

He’ll sail for a little
A little little litte
He’ll sail for a little
‘Til she finds him

He’ll sail for a little ‘til she finds him
This looks set, then...

I hope it's not too confusing?
I'm looking forward to this wink
7 daaaays domokun
Come on folks, submit your scenes!

They take only a few minutes to write and you have nothing to lose.
looks fun! >w< I'm ganna try experimenting at towns now. ninja
6 days left, ooooh...
Five days oooohhhhh how spaaaarkly.

So uh, yeah you guys should definitely try this contest out... Llama? dramallama
tick... tick... tick... Wait, wrong show.
Only foooouuur moooore daaays

6,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
I submitted a script. I hope you like it.
This is ten words shorter than you asked for. I hope that's okay.

Sail For a Little

(Scene opens with CAPTAIN MORGEN at center stage and several CREW around him)

CAPTAIN MORGEN: (with emoticon music note) I'll sail for a little, a little little little, I'll sail for a little 'till I find her!

CREW: (with emoticon music note) We'll sail for a little, a little little little! We'll sail for a little until we find her! (Emote clapping.)

CAPTAIN MORGEN: Aye boys! That's what we'll do. I want a little lass to settle with. >sigh< I'm old, boys.

CREW 1: Ye' aren't old Cap'n. Just aged a bit. Like wine!

CREW: Aye!

LOOKOUT: (from away from the rest) The water looks rough ahead, Cap'n!

CAPTAIN MORGEN: To hands mates! Pull in the sails and get below!

CREW: Aye, Cap'n!

(Crew scrambles around stage and then leaves the stage platform.)

CAPTAIN MORGEN: (Music note) I'll sail for a little, a little little little. I'll sail for a little, until I find her.

CREW 1: (from offstage) Cap'n! The storm! Get off the deck!

CAPTAIN MORGEN: (Music note) I'll sail for a little, a little little little, I'll sail for a little, until I find her.

(Black out)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces