Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm sure that this thread wasn't missed by most of the regulars here, except I've been hacked twice, and I can't manage a thread if that keeps happening.

Too the point!

The thread will be broken down into these parts:

I: Introduction to the genre's sound
II: A brief history of the pioneers

Links List:
www.soniccathedral.com

Also, there are basic rules for this thread:
1. No flamming
2. No excessive image posts

That's all I ask, and please do not post until I have finished all 3 other parts to the thread.

-Matt
I: An Introduction To The Genre

Gothic metal tends to take influence from the doom metal, black metal, and death metal subgenres of Heavy metal for its composition, heavily synthesizing the styles of their melody and rhythm ideas in its guitar riffs, often causing the music to be somewhat aggressive and mid-paced. Acoustic guitars are sometimes present in gothic metal, with bands that feature two guitarists, one guitarist is often found playing a form of acoustic guitar. The acoustic guitar is used in the same way as its electronic counterpart, and is normally found playing melodies of equal technicality. The bass guitar in gothic metal is usually played using lower tones akin to doom metal, often combined with the aggressive playing of black and death metal. The bass guitar is often the main contributor to the atmosphere in songs, though has also been seen as performing a duet with the keyboarding in this regard.
II: A Brief History Of The Pioneers:

In the 1990s, a group of young bands in Northern England borrowed from the early gothic rock sound of the 1980s and incorporated it with the slow, down-tuned guitar dirges of Black Sabbath and similar doom metal bands. Doom-death, as it was known, was the first stage of the gothic-doom subgenre and the gothic-metal genre. Bands most notable for this style included Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, and Anathema.

Although death metal and black metal were two of the larger genres of metal at this time, especially in the Scandinavian region, many bands who started in either genre had progressed more toward doom-death styles; two of these bands were Moonspell and Theatre of Tragedy.

While early doom-death bands Paradise Lost and Anathema used some female vocals in their music, the Netherland's The Gathering was the first doom-death band with a leading female singer, Marike Groot on the album Always... and then Martine Van Loon on Almost a Dance (both later replaced by another female singer, Anneke van Giersbergen). This set a pattern for gothic metal by adding the first implications of using two vocalists in the bands, which later became a signature of gothic metal as it was quickly imitated by bands including Tristania and Theatre of Tragedy.
POST scream ! I WANT DISCUSSIONS! scream scream scream
I'm listening to an album a neighbor just copied for me. Lucidity by Delain. Awesome stuff, seriously! biggrin
DYin
I'm listening to an album a neighbor just copied for me. Lucidity by Delain. Awesome stuff, seriously! biggrin

I have not yet heard Delain. There are so many bands in the genre, it's unbelievable. I listened to Madder Mortem the other day and was way too weirded out by them. redface
Delain are a bit like Within Temptation, but better biggrin
DYin
Delain are a bit like Within Temptation, but better biggrin

Yay. I really don't like what they have become (WT).

domokun
THE GOTH METUHL THREAD LIVVVVES

Took a listen to Within Temptation's new album a few days ago. It was pretty... well, for lack of a better word, cruddy.

My friend is forcing me into the Madder Mortem fanbase, inch by inch. They're really begiinning to grow on me.
It's gonna take me a while to get used to Madder Mortem's sound. It was too weird for me, so I actually shut it off. It's not that it was bad... maybe it was do to my mood or something.
This is when Dee begins to whore out http://www.SonicCathedral.com, a site dedicated to female-fronted metal.

The majority of it circles around Gothic stuff, and it has a good webzine and forums (which provide links to some free mp3's of little known bands ninja ). Some of the album reviews I don't agree with (the one guy greatly praises Lacuna Coil's Karmacode and equally cruddy and commercial releases), but it's a great site.
I think I'll tag on a link list and add that on. I'll check it out.
[DeadInside]

Schweet. 3nodding
D. Lyn
[DeadInside]

Schweet. 3nodding

It's on. I also bookmarked the page.

I'm leaving for a bit... got some more important things to do than sit around at the computer emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff