1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58 59 60 > >>

Stoner Doom & Sludge Metal

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Index
i. Background
ii. Definitions
iii. Well Known Bands&Albums
iv. Links

I. Background

This thread is the remake of a thread I had going a while back that was centered around Stoner Doom and Sludge Metal. I have decided to break away from the Doom Metal thread as I feel that a better, more in depth, discussion can take place here rather then in a thread were Traditional Doom and Funeral Doom often take a precedent over these two genres, mostly due to the fact that Stoner Doom is on the far edges of “doom.” Also this is due to many people upon the first few listens do not realize the differences in the genres, so are widely considered sister genres.

But hey, I’ll be completely honest here: I was bored and had nothing better to do.

II. Definitions

Stoner Doom

Stoner Doom draws a large influence from Black Sabbath songs like Electric Funeral. With heavy distortion and any range of effects pedals creating a weird psychedelic experience the foundation for most Stoner Doom has been set. However on the flip side we have Kyuss influenced bands. Using the predominately rock band as a foundation bands will edge off the distortion, instead embracing the hard rock roots and trying to create riffs and bass lines that groove.

It should be noted that Stoner Doom plays a fine line between doom and rock. Much of the genre has actually ended up on the Rock side of the equation, so for all shapes and purposes I am including harsher Southern Rock and Stoner Rock within the thread.

Examples of Black Sabbath influenced bands: Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, and Sleep
Examples of Kyuss influenced bands: Witch, Alabama Thunderpussy, Suplecs
Examples of Stoner Rock: Nebula, Sgt. Sunshine, and Stonewall Noise Orchestra

Sludge Metal

Much I have broken up [the metal side] of Stoner Doom I will break up sludge metal. As after talking to several friends and from discussion I have seen on the Gaia Metal Forum several other people have brought this up. There are two types of Sludge Metal. “First Wave” band incorporated a heavy hardcore influence along side slow down tuned riffs and distortion to create a general wall of fuzz that you sunk yourself into.

Recently, under the evolution of Neurosis starting in the late 80’s and early 90’s a style of Sludge metal appeared that used more avant-garde styles as post-rock and post-hardcore added to the mix. This turned a wall of fuzz into a constantly moving piece that you could wade your mind and thoughts into.

Examples of First Wave: Crowbar, Eyehategod, and Graves at Sea
Examples of Second Wave: Cult of Luna, Pelican, Cardinale

III. Well Known Bands & Albums

Stoner Doom
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sleep’s Dopesmoker
An album that was made shortly after their well-known Sleep’s Holy Mountain album. By this time they had been signed to a major record label and were to make a song under a heavy contract. The label was to use one of the songs on the album and place it inside a movie as a marketing technique. However the band had other ideas in mind. Rather then make another Sleep’s Holy mountain they made a 66 minute (1:06:31 total time) epic. Shortly after the band broke up. With the drummer and bassist forming “Om” and the guitarist parting to form “High on Fire.”

Electric Wizard’s Dopethrone
Songs such as Funeralopolis and Dopethrone give a major throwback to the Black Sabbath roots of the band. Heavily distorted and covered in raspy vocals the album is a landmark in both Electric Wizard’s music, and the overall sound of Stoner Doom.

Acid King’s Busse Woods
Featuring a female vocalist Busse Woods giving haunting vocals to the band Busse Woods shows the excellence of Acid King straight out. Fun bass lines, riffs, and overall musicianship are displayed throughout the music, easily making it something you will want to sit down and be entrapped by. If you want to get into the genre, this is a must have.

Kyuss’ Blues for the Red Sun
It’s ******** Kyuss! Enough said.

A great album for a great band, starting off with
Thumb this album will already have you going, and by the end be wanting to go back for more.

Sludge metal

Crowbar’s Sonic Excess in its Purest Form
Straight from the sludge gods this album is their best to date. One cannot really get into it beyond it, while very simplistic the intensity of the vocalist and sheer crushing riffs will make you scream, growl, and by the end, whimper along with it as your throat is raw and sour.

Neurosis’ Through Silver and Blood
While this isn’t the best Neurosis release, I have it up over other albums due to its extreme hardcore influence. Songs like Locust Star show how strong the influence can be in the genre, while at the same time giving out truly original and experimental music. I would suggest this album for any fan of Metalcore, though the Eye of Every Storm for anyone who is looking for the bands overall “best” album.

Acid Bath’s When the Kite String Pops
Back in the 90’s this band was brimming with ideas. The lyrics are far fetched and out there, while at the same time some poetic justice remains to be said about them. Gritty tones and abrasive music become the hallmark of the sound. But still the band can move beyond it’s own sound, and add light clear songs that touch at ones heart.shoul

Pelican’s Australasia
A centerpiece for the post-rock movement in sludge metal to date. Without vocals this band pushes the boundaries of genres with it’s sound. The band itself though looses nothing from the lack of vocals, with the music speaking magnitudes within itself. From the wonderfully put together liner notes to the beauty of the music itself Pelican has pushed itself ahead of it’s peers, this and The Fire in Our Throats Shall Beckon the Thaw being the two albums that placed them there.

IV. Links

Stoner Rock.com
Complete with a forum, radio, and shop to buy items relating to Stoner Rock this website plays a major role in the promotion of new and underground bands within the genre. Every year there is a festival held in Texas (I believe, don’t quote me on it) in which many Stoner Rock bands appear that is sponsored by members of the site.

Wikipedia Article on Sludge metal

Wikipedia Article on Stoner Rock
Reserved if needed/trying to fix some of the picture links. Start talking.
THROUGH TEH STONER AND TEH SLUDGE WE CARRY ON!!

I LIEK ORANGE GOBLIN
PYONAGE!
THROUGH TEH STONER AND TEH SLUDGE WE CARRY ON!!

I LIEK ORANGE GOBLIN

That was fast.

Orange Goblin is good. Thieving From the House of God is an amazing album.

Anyone heard any of the Om '06 splits? I've been trying to get my hands on the CD one and am awaiting for the second one to come out in CD as well (stupid lack of vinyl player)
DRAGONBONG!

<3 at the thread coming back. Here I will whore Sleep and Al Cisneros at all costs.
I downloaded Dopethrone, but haven't listened to it yet.

I will do that now.
NOT IF I WHORE HIM MORE!

But yeah, I realized these are my two favorite genres, and besides for that I listen to mostly rock these days. So why not cut through the metal forum cake for that one slice I actually enjoy? Thus this thread was reborn.

God damn I'm pissed, I had like 4-5 more pictures, all the albums had the picture and I had one of the stoner rock.com chick for the title page. ******** Gaia hates me.
MangaManiak

I will do that now.

RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE

SMOKE

DOPETHRONE!
MangaManiak

I will do that now.
As will I. After My millionth time listening to the StS cover of Solitude.
Beyond Within
MangaManiak

I will do that now.

RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE

SMOKE

DOPETHRONE!

God damn Gaia needs a headbanging emote.

But damn straight. I love that song, personally I like Come My Fanatics more, but Dopethrone is the more visible of the two albums I feel (just as while Sleep's Holy Mountain > Dopesmoker Dopesmoker is the more talked about sleep album typically).
A Throne of Souls
Beyond Within
MangaManiak

I will do that now.

RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE
RISE

SMOKE

DOPETHRONE!

God damn Gaia needs a headbanging emote.

But damn straight. I love that song, personally I like Come My Fanatics more, but Dopethrone is the more visible of the two albums I feel (just as while Sleep's Holy Mountain > Dopesmoker Dopesmoker is the more talked about sleep album typically).

I think I like Dopethrone more. It's hard to tell for me really. But Dopethrone has many great memories associated with it.
Excellent thread. This will help people such as myself learn more about this genre heart .

Neurosis are hawt.
Lol@Stabbing. Neurosis was the first sludge band I got into, and the 4th overall metal band I got into. Of course they would be up there. Great amazing band, can't wait till this years release, supposed to rival Through Silver in Blood in 'heaviness.'

Beyond Within, I feel that both are amazing albums, and that Come My Fanatics gets a boost in the fact that it is also a re-release of their S/T so carries more raw material in which to intice people with. But personally when I think of listening to Dopethrone I feel just like listening to the title track and funeralopolis, while with CMF I chew through the whole album. Guess it's one of those personal taste things.
Would Queens of the Stone Age just be Stoner Rock? I know they aren't metal but they are related to the genre.

Also, what about Spiritual Beggars?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces