Welcome to Gaia! ::

Think you'll see the 300 when it comes out next year?

Yes. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 2 ]
Maybe. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 2 ]
No. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 6 ]

This poem is for my avatar, which was inspired by the legend of the 300 Spartans who died at the Battle of Thermopylae during the Greco-Persian War around 480 BC.

Next year, a film for the comic book about the battle, "300" by Frank Miller (also known for "Sin City" wink , will be released.

I did some research to write this poem. Most of the information I used is in this article from History.net.

The Battle of Thermolypae

Under the August heat, at Gates of Fire,
Stood silent Grecian spears and Persian bows,
'til Leonidas stoked King Xerxes' ire,
Two thousand and five hundred years ago.

Three days broke spears to swords, to tooth and nail.
The archers boasted they could blot the sun.
Their arrows mowed down Grecians in a hail,
As walls of dead grew on the Persians' run.

King Leonidas rallied a retreat,
To save from slaughter, all men but one band:
Though history withers, legends shall still speak
Of how the Spartans fought at their last stand.

I've submitted my current avatar to the Avatar Arena with this poem. Please give me some C+C. And personally, I feel this should be a longer poem, but there's a 1000-character limit in the Arena submission form.

I'll come back on Monday to post the link to my avatar entry. If you like my avatar, please click on the link and vote for me. This is my second time entering the Avatar Arena. (Last time, I was Metalmage Valentine.)
The Avatar Arena link is now added to my sig.

(I'm sure I'd get more people in I went to Chatterbox, but I want some serious opinions on this poem.)
Day 3: BUMP 1
Day 4: BUMP 2

(By Zeus, I'm not stopping 'til I get at least *one* intelligent comment!)
Day 5: BUMP 3

(Well, at least another person took the poll.)
Re: Your Poem

There's nothing really wrong withthis, deeply or fractuously or whatever. But there's nothing really right here either. Thermopylae is a big emo battle for the menfolk, and I get that (though as an aside, [********] Thermopylae and the hojillion testosterone-laden man-to-man asides it's propogated throughout pop culture among every "good death" bullshitter who thinks he's smart just because he read a damn history book once (not you, you're sweet)), but I don't see much here to convey it. Poetry isn't just a vehicle for bland encyclopedic fact. Where is the emotion? Where were you going with this? All plot and structure, no theme or pathos.

Figure out what you need to say about Thermopylae, then try again.
alterdayshift
Re: Your Poem

There's nothing really wrong withthis, deeply or fractuously or whatever. But there's nothing really right here either. Thermopylae is a big emo battle for the menfolk, and I get that (though as an aside, [********] Thermopylae and the hojillion testosterone-laden man-to-man asides it's propogated throughout pop culture among every "good death" bullshitter who thinks he's smart just because he read a damn history book once (not you, you're sweet)), but I don't see much here to convey it. Poetry isn't just a vehicle for bland encyclopedic fact. Where is the emotion? Where were you going with this? All plot and structure, no theme or pathos.

Figure out what you need to say about Thermopylae, then try again.

OMG, a critique! Yaynesses be praised!

Ok... I was going for something along the lines of Lord Byron's "Destruction of Sennacherib", which is really nothing more than a gorgeous, yet romanticized description of the slaughter that occurred. (I've another copy of my poem where I broke down the each line with notes. It really is all plot.)

I guess I'm weak on themes and emotion because I'm in it on an aesthetic level. And I'm against espousing the values inherent in these events when they're so often paraded under the male umbrella.

I hope my sense of meter is intact though.

And about Thermopylae as a cultural product, I won't disagree. Miller hyped the masculinity for all it was worth and played right into its hands for style. The 300's trailers are perfectly oozing testosterone in the celluloid. But as a piece of history, it remains the stuff of legends. But I do think the Alamo is alot more common though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff