Welcome to Gaia! ::

POINTLESS POLL YO.

Yay! 0.41666666666667 41.7% [ 25 ]
Boo! 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 4 ]
Sausage! 0.51666666666667 51.7% [ 31 ]
Total Votes:[ 60 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 277 278 279 > >> >>> »|

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Welcome to Irrationality, a shop for dragon lovers, math geeks, and anyone who likes pretty spirals. You have now entered the shop. Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.

1. you are here
2. story
3. wtf?
4. rules
5. previews and stages
6. sales
7. customs
8. breeding
9. f.a.q.
10. current owners
11. lists
12. affiliates
13. disclaimers
14. random math stuff
15. about pi

Announcements!!

'kay so yea. Leaving for college August and I need some time to get my life in order. Gaia's not on the schedule. Move-in date is August 22, so I'll be back sometime after that I hope. Pg. 277 and the journal on my Lupe account have more info.
Sorry guys. Love you all. <3

The Staff (and friends)

3.14I592654/Lupe_Oceana: lineartist, fractalist, shop owner, conqueror of the multiverse, etc., etc... basically, omnipotent.
Vahyla/Vees Girl: Lineart Inker
Wolf Autumnleaf/Raven Blackstar and DraconicFeline: Role-Play Overlords

User Image

Math, on the whole, is a pretty abstract world. Sure, we know what five and six are, but who's really seen infinity, or the fifth dimension, or the square root of -5? You can't make friends with a cosine or hang out with an exponential function.

What if you could?

What if the numbers were somehow concrete- not just concrete, but alive and conscious?

Now, thanks to some spiffy-tastic new technology (discovered by accident in a complicated process involving a laptop computer, some canned peaches and a particle accelerator), you can. The new shiny printer spits out, not paper, but eggs that later hatch into dragons. Don't ask why. We don't have a clue.

The shop, Irrationality, sells these eggs. Now you can buy a mathematical friend for your very own!

Yaaay. [/lamestory]
User Image

Fractals?
A fractal is the graph of a mathematical equation. It's graphed on a special plane that involves complex numbers (a real number and an imaginary number, the square root of -1). Fractals are unique because they are self-similar (they look similar at different magnifications), they can be magnified infinitely (at least until your computer explodes from the number crunching), and they exist in fractional dimensions (like 1 1/2D or 2 3/4D).

Does your brain hurt yet? Don't worry, this won't be on the test. It's just pretty damn cool.

More info on fractals: http://www.fractalus.com/

Dragons?
If you don't get this one, that's kind of sad. Big-a** flying lizards who breathe fire.

Fractals + dragons?
I like fractals. I like dragons. One day, I decided to smash the two together. I don't need any better reason; it's my shop. Just be glad I didn't try to mix in all the other things I like.
User Image

Obey them. Y'arr. If you don't, I may be forced to donate a pint of your face blood to the wall. <333

+ Be literate. None of that godawful noobspeak.
+ Be nice.
+ Don't beg.
+ Don't steal art. Do I really have to say this?
+ Don't resell your dragon someplace else.
+ Read through the entire front page before asking questions.
+ No trying to cheat in a flatsale or auction. I WILL hunt you down.
+ Obey the Gaia TOS.
+ Post your questions IN THIS THREAD.
+ No PMing. Please.
+ Have fun. This is an ORDER, private!
User Image

There are three known species of fractals. All fractal species go through four stages:

Egg= It's a little fractal egg. How cute. Don't break it!
(1 wk.)

Baby= Can you say awwwwwwww??? Baby dragons are very dependent on their owners and need frequent interaction with them. Be sure to feed them lots of numbers (old homework problems or the stock exchange section of the paper work fine) or else they'll try and eat your calculator. Or your money.
(1 wks.)

Teen= Teens are more independent, and they're starting to learn to talk. Not any language you would know, though. These guys take "math is a language" to the extreme, and unless you know what "1476, 3.4, e, pi, sin(42) z^y" means, you're better off trying not to understand them. They might also get angsty, rebellious, or romantic... eeeek.
(2 wks.)

Adults= Fully grown, mature, and quite intelligent, adults are the epitome of... uh... fractalness? Whatever. One way or the other, they're very large, good at flying, and have fully developed personalities.

The known fractal species include:

---

Standard Fractals
Most of these are fractals like the Mandelbrot Set (z = z^2 + c) or Julia Set (closely related to the Mandelbrot Set. These fractals are self-similar and usually symmetrically, geometrically patterned.

Standard Fractal Dragons are fairly traditional-looking, what with the claws, spines, and bat-like wings.

-----

Flame Fractals
Members of the Iterated Function System class of fractals, flames plot the output of a chaotic system directly onto the image plane. ...don't worry. I don't get it either. The point is, flame fractals are all asymmetrical, swirly, and cool.

Flame Fractal Dragons have feathered wings and a silky mane instead of spikes.

-----

Hybrid Fractals
A hybrid between flame and standard fractals, these dragons can only be obtained through breeding. Their wings are a mix of standard and flame wings, and really don't look all that areodynamic... but who cares? It's supposed to be irrational, after all.
(note: this example picture really isn't that great because all the hybrids in it are realted to each other! When more hybrids are born I'll update the example.)

-----

Asian Dragons?

Comin' soon....

----

Unique/special fractals- special events only.
Well, these are the dragons with unique linart and even more unique features and abilities. Our current special fractals include:
Quantum weather butterflies, who can control the weather.
User Image

(build a little fractal in your soul)

These guys are mostly sold at flatsales. The rules for that are here. When special events and things come up, the rules for those will be posted separately.

The Flatsale Process
1. Pick which egg you want. Remember its ID number.
2. Wait until I say GO!
3. Post the flatsale form (below) with all the appropriate things filled out.
4. If you got your egg, send me a trade for 2000g.
5. I'll PM you your dragon.

Rules:
1. You can only buy one per flatsale.
2. No mule accounts or editing posts
3. No freaking out if you don't get what you want.
4. If you didn't get the egg you wanted, you can try again for another egg. But you can only buy ONE egg per flatsale.

Payment:
I take gold and items (priced at mid-Lucky Devil), and pet trades.
My pet-trade list was very long, so I removed it, but if you're interested- just ask. We'll talk. I've also traded dragons for art in the past.

Flatsale form:

[color=red]
FLATSALE PURCHASE
Egg ID number:
Owner name:
Dragon's name:
Dragon's gender:
[/color]

CURRENT FLATSALE

ALL EGGS COST 2000g. <3

none

Standard fractals

none

Flame fractals

none

Special events

Big-a** event in the works.... poetry? Asian dragons? Math problems? Who knows?

FREEBIES!

Everyone who posts on the following pages will get a free dragon!:

Plus, some freebies are given out on special days.
User Image

Basic Custom

COST: 7k

You chose:
Type of dragon (standard fractal or flame fractal)
Type of fractal (standard or flame)
Basic color of fractal (green, red, blue, teal, mauve, a mix of the above, whatever)
Dragon's name
Dragon's gender

...yes, you can even get flame fractal coloring on standard fractal lineart. Cool, huh?

Slots:
1. Kimmy
2. DMInuysaha
3. Open

To buy a custom, post the form, then send Pi a trade for 7k.

[color=blue]CUSTOM WHOO!
Type of dragon:
Type of coloring:
Colors:
Dragon's name:
Dragon's gender:
Owner's name:[/color]

Advanced Custom

Cost: varies

It is possible to get a fractal dragon with edited or unique lineart. However, I will have to talk to my inker (Vahyla) to see what we can and cannot do. Price will be based on the complexity of what you want, and what Vahyla says.

Slots:
1. Closed

User Image

Huzzah and wOOt! It's time for the much-anticipated possibility of breeding your fractal dragons!

Mathematically, I take the equation that defines each dragon, multiply them, cancel the twos, carry the ones, round off a little, throw in some imaginary numbers and square roots just for fun, round it again, cube the whole thing....

Artistically, I find a way to combine the fractal images of each dragon. Depending on the images, I might use part of each image, layer both images and merge them somehow, recolor one image with the colors of another, create a whole new fractal with characteristics of both.... you'll just have to wait and see.

In addition to spiffy art, breeding is the ONLY way to obtain a new, never-before-seen species... the hybrid dragon. Dun dun DUN.

So. Here's the basic info.

1. Breeding costs 3.5k for standard, hybrid, and flame fractals breeding with other standard, hybrid, and flame fractals. Right now, breeding is not open for dragons with unique lineart. Only adult dragons can breed.
Fairy dragons cost 1k to breed and can only breed with each other.
2. You can ONLY breed your dragons when there are breeding slots open. More on this later.
3. Dragons can only breed 3 times in their lifetime.
4. You may breed two of your own dragons, or you may have one of yours breed with one of a friend's. If you choose the latter, BOTH of you must agree to this, and you BOTH must post in the thread saying so. You have to agree how to split the payment. Do it however you want, as long as I get the cash.
5. If one person owns both parents, there will be 1-2 children (50% chance of each). If the parents are owned by two people, there will be 2-3 children (50% chance of each). More on deciding who gets who later.
6. If you want, you may sell an egg back to me for 1000g. I will resell the egg at a later flatsale.

Now, here's the process.

1. Check to see when the next breeding slots open (below).
2. When I post BREEDING SLOTS OPEN, post the breeding form (below). If two people own the parents, you BOTH must post the form within 48 hours of each other, unless you've worked something out with me beforehand.
*if you are breeding fairy dragons, please post the picture of your dragon instead of the ID number!
3. When your breeding slot is successfully claimed, I'll do random numbers to determine the number of eggs, lineart, gender, etc.
4. When the dragons are completed, I'll post the eggs. If one person owns both parents, it's done. If two people own the parents, one of the owners will call “odd” or “even.“ I’ll roll a 100-sided die. If the caller called it correctly, he/she gets to pick first. If not, the other owner picks first. (if you’ve worked something else out, however, that’s fine.)

[color=orange]Breeding form!
Dragon 1-
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Id #:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Owner:[/b]

Dragon 2-
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Id #:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Owner:[/b][/color]

breeding slots!

Slot 1: Yasuaki x Kiara (p. 15 cool
Slot 2: Roh x Icthaeru (p. 160)
Slot 3: Din x Aigean
Slot 4: Qwill x Airgead
Slot 5: open
Slot 6: open

Mmm, lots of slots today! I'm feeling happy. 'Cause I like babies.

Fractal genetics!

For each possible pairing, here's the possible lineart the babies could have and the chances each baby has of getting each one. I'll use random numbers to determine how it all works out.

These were all worked out using Punett squares (thank you, biology class!) so they're all biologically accurate.

If special dragons (unique lineart) are involved, things will be different and all the babies will have unique lineart.

IMPORTANT! These odds apply to each SINGLE baby. So if you breed hybrid x standard and get 2 eggs, there is no guarantee that there will be 1 standard and 1 hybrid. Genetics, and gender, are determined by dice rolling.

Standard x standard=
100% standard

Flame x flame=
100% flame

Standard x flame=
100% hybrid

Hybrid x hybrid=
25% standard
25% flame
50% hybrid

Hybrid x standard=
50% standard
50% hybrid

Hybrid x flame=
50% flame
50% hybrid

User Image

(friggin' annoying questions)

Shop-related:
=Can I have one?
See the "Sales" post.

=Do you direct-link?
You can direct-link growing dragons until adulthood. Then I expect you to host on your own server. Fairy dragons should always be hosted on your own server.

=WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU SO BLOODY LONG TO GET THINGS CERTED/CREATED/POSTED/DONE??!!!??!!
...because I operate on 3 computers (home, home laptop, and school), and I only have the art software on one of them, and that's the one without Internet access. And then when I finally get the certs made, Photobucket goes all screwy on me....

=Is RP required?
Nope. It’s fun, though. Check the first post for the guild, where all the RP goodness goes down.

=How many can I own?
As many as you can pay for, but you can only buy one per flatsale/auction/whatever.

=Who is Lupe_Oceana and why does she take over your job sometimes?
She's my mule. Or, more accurately, I'm her mule. XP

=I have another question that you didn't answer.
Post in the thread. I'll answer it.

General:
= Fractals? My brain hurts!
Read the "wtf" post and check out the links in the math stuff post. If it's all too much for you, just forget the numbers and look at the pretty pictures.

=What fractal progams do you use?
The standard fractals are created in Ultra Fractal 3, and the flame fractals are created in Apophysis 2.02.

= They look kind of 2D, like you used too much photoshop or something.
Welp, what you’re seeing is a fractal transferred to a dragon lineart... it does come out a little funny looking, though I try to fix as much of it as I can. Just deal with it... it’s my style.

=Where can I see fractals that aren't all... dragony??
Check out my reeeally old Deviantart account.

=How the hell do you make these?
Veeery carefully.
Honestly, I'm working on a little description of this right now. In the meantime, go onto Fractalus, poke around, and I'm sure you'll find something that explains this. [/laziness]

=I MAKE FRACTALS!!
Yay! Let me know! We could be friends! Show me what you can do. Maybe you can get a guest fractal designer job....
User Image

DESPERATELY NEEDS UPDATING. I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON.

IF YOU WANT YOUR SECRET SANTA DRAGONS ON THIS LIST: Please post your name, the names of your dragons, and links to their pictures. Thank you!

Asahi Kumoru: Sigma, Asymptote
bettybopliao: Pheona
Blade Kuroda: Hinote, Exquaer'd, Akuma, Asterick, Undefined, Hex, Zeta
Celira: Secanti, Deriv, Alcyone
Crouching_Tiger: Bubbles
Dark Phoenix of Chaos:Angelus, Roh, Dubbance, Morbid, Tolli, Solium, Ka Cho
.o.Destiny.o.: (unnamed)
spongebert99: Ember
diamonddragonwolf: Desert Wind, Desdemona, Keegan
Doodle p***s: Lillith, Fuu Cho, Valentine
DraconicFeline: Din, Kale, Taerac
EmeraldViox: Christine
Fiern: Wylde
Genderqueer Genevieve:Kiara, Syan, Icthaeru
JaganshiMalfoy: Eris
jerzeeboii: Soul'less
KadajFish: (unnamed)
Kaze no Takuto: Sierpinski
Ketoblaze: Koolda
Klein Bottle: Spatial
Krisness of Chaos: Blue Fang
Kyrianna: Jasmine
Lady Evelon: Sora
Leilani204: (unnamed)
_lions_pride_: Pyrros
Lupe_Oceana/3.14I592654: Koch, Gamma, Sulfur, Tycho
Lygophobia: Omega, Tarasso
Master Wild Mage: Shayla, Devilin
Mythee: Kephisos
Neshaka: Quasar, Radial
Julia the Weird: Violet, Clarissa
nozomi_ga_kanau: Glowstick Jr.
Riftwing: Alexandria, Zaphod
Roserain: Raziel
Shiara Moon: Rifujin
Shiningsupernova: Trig, Quad, Assael
Super-Squirt!: Michio, Skye, Rose, Emerald, Ash
Syrcaid: Penrose, (unnamed)
Vahyla: Lanius, Fixayshun, Kess, Yasuaki, Apocalypse
Wolf Autumnleaf: Aigean, Angelus, Dantalian

Lupe_Oceana
Ok, here we go:

GiGi: Regenerist, Sayuki, Johari, Keeran, Heluwen
Wolf- Tinuviel, Silaen, Achaeron, Safariel, Aislinn, Lorohaz, Arsozah, Ancalagon
DraconicMaiden: Kalliyan
DraconicFeline- Ripple, Occin, Evereta
DragonEnchantress – Brede
Sound of a Splitting Atom- (unnamed)
Blade Kuroda –
Urami, Frost
Loba_Negra – Orion
Vahyla-
Kuaki,
Egrafov, Dawn, Ayleskin
Top Quark – Selacious
Lupe_Oceana –
Nebula,
Icicle
Kimmy – Snepelly
Dark Phoenix of Chaos –Iridescence, Zyn
Luana_Blodwyn – Denya
Doodle p***s – Ashes, Sin

DareDelvil
Owner's List Request:

X107, Vallye - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/daredelvil/Vallye.jpg

X206, Melodia - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/daredelvil/Melodia.jpg

X311, Kaitos - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/daredelvil/Kaitos.jpg

All for DareDelvil, this account. Thanks. ^w^

Latest Flatsale

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/M065.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/M064.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/M063.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/F066.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/F065.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/Lupe-chan/F064.jpg
User Image

Whitelist

Vahyla, for inking my lineart and being the BEST PERSON EVER.
Top Quark, for being an occasional inker/helper/best friend.
Celira, for being the uber-spiffy banner goddess.

Graylist

Blacklist

Sparkle-tastic rainbow list

I have no idea what this one's for. I just wanted it.
User Image

Want to be affiliates? Post your link in the thread, and grab one of my links.

User ImageUser Image

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image

User Image
User Image

Link me! Please?
ROCK-TASTIC BANNERS BY CELIRA. WORSHIP HER. NOW.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/hxmy8][img]http://i2.tinypic.com/x22tra.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/hxmy8][img]http://i3.tinypic.com/x22tud.png[/img][/url]
User Image

This concept and all art (dragon, fractal, and otherwise) is copyright me. No stealy.

Fractals in general were NOT designed by me. The formulas and coloring algorithms I use are too numerous to list, but I owe these people a lot of gratitude and maybe money:
Benoit Mandelbrot
Gaston Julia
Mark Townsend
Kerry Mitchell
Damien M. Jones
Frederik Slijkerman
This ain't inclusive- there are a lot I use that I can't remember right now. If you see your algorithm here, let me know and I'll give you the credit. Then tell me what a genius like you is doing wasting their time on Gaia.

I reserve the rights to all the original fractals (the images that were pasted into the dragon lineart, not the dragons themselves), including the rights to post them in online galleries (aka DeviantART), enter them in contests, and possibly sell them. Not like I WILL, because I suck. XP
User Image

Yay for weird math-related crap. Submit your own! (still under construction)
Working on getting the stuff from Pi Day up. XD

Fractal Resources

Fractalus (really cool fractal website)
Intro to the Mandelbrot Set (great explanation!)
Fractint (really cool FREE fractal program!)
Ultra Fractal (the program I use)
Apophysis (the other program I use)

Weird Fractal Stuffs

...stuff we can't categorize

The Twin Prime Conjuncture Song
Math Jokes. Be afraid.
Gabriel's Horn- you can fill it with paint, but you can't paint it...

User Image

Horribly egocentric and unnecessary artist bio shall go here one of these days. Joy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff