Welcome to Gaia! ::

Note. The makers know exactly what emo and 'screamo' are, and these bands are neither of these.

I know the band list needs some fixing.

I wish to make this thread for the fact that I need to tell people every day what it is. So to help people learn and make it so that I need to type less, I made this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRIST!
Know this, Metalcore is a musical genre consisting of a mix between heavy metal and hardcore. It is not Hardcore or Metal, is it's own genre and you sould not spam metalcore bands in the punk/hardcore 101 or Metal sub forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1 - Metalcore the start:
While Metalcore band are everywhere today it started back in the 80's, bands such as Integrity have been around since the late 1980s.

Nuclear Assault was amongst the first to call their music a Heavy Metal-Hardcore Punk Hybrid. Although not thought of as a metalcore band today. More of a Proto Metalcore in a way.

In 1989 a band known as Integrity came out. Most songwriting by metalcore bands at this time was similar to New York hardcore bands, but differed in their harder sound thanks to use of double bass drums, harder distortion and louder, more gruff vocal shouts.

During the middle of the 1990s, bands started expanding the metalcore sound, prime examples being All Out War who used straightforward thrash riffing, as well as bands such as Rorschach, Starkweather, Orange County's Adamantium, and Deadguy, who experimented with looser, often discordant songwriting as well as more untraditional rhythm.
Zao is another band that left a mark upon the genre with their Carcass-like vocals and varied songwriting, particularly the Christian bands of the genre.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 Metalcore on the rise(Today)
In the late 90's metalcore band were on the rise with Lamb Of God's "Ashes Of The Wake" and Norma Jean's "O' God, the Aftermath" have managed to sell well enough to make it onto Billboard charts.

One sound that has become immensely popular is to mix Gothenburg melodic death metal, popularized by more traditional metal bands such as At the Gates, and In Flames and newer bands such as Children of Bodom, together with a more traditional metalcore sound and occasionally slow, melodic breakdowns. Today, many famous metalcore bands play this style, such as Killswitch Engage, The Agony Scene, As I Lay Dying,Unearth, and Lamb Of God.

This is where people mix up Metalcore bands for Melodic Death metal.

Now with Links for listening(DONEZ): I can't find Acme, if you can please pm the link.

Metalcore Bands
The following artists are considered part of the metalcore genre:
A Live Once Lost
Alleged
All Shall Perish
A Thousand Falling Skies
Acme (band)
All that Remains
Analog/ Ms
As I lay Dying
At Daggers Drawn
Atreyu
August Burns Red
The Autumn Offering
Avenged Sevenfold
Between The Buried and Me
Bleeding Through
Bloodsimple
Botch
Bullet For My Valentine
Buried Inside
Bury Your Dead
Caliban(Official site)
Chimaira
Conducting From The Grave
Converge
Darkest Hour
Deadlock
Dead To Fall
Death By Stereo
Demon Hunter
Despised Icon
Diecast
Donnybrook!
(A) Dozen Furies
Dry Kill Logic
Earth Crisis
Eighteen Visions
Elysia
Embrace The End
Embrace Today
Evergreen Terrace
Every Time I Die
Execute
Fear Before the March of Flames
Fordirelifesake
From Autumn to Ashes
From A Second Story Window
From First to Last
Frontside
Full Blown Chaos
Gizmachi
Glass Casket
God Forbid
Grace Gale
Greeley Estates
Hatebreed
Haste The Day
Heaven Shall Burn
Himsa
I Killed The Prom Queen
In Flames(Post R2R)
Inner Surge
It Dies Today
Into The Moat
Ion Dissonance
Job For A Cowboy
Kids In the way
Killswitch Engage
Killwhitneydead
Kittie
Lamb of God
Liar
Living Sacrifice
Manntis
Maroon
Martyr AD
Misery Signals
Most Precious Blood
Mortal Treason
MyChildren MyBride
Nehemiah
Nodes of Ranvier
Norma Jean
One Step Too Many
Paria
Parkway Drive
Poison The Well
Protest the Hero
PsyOpus
Rafflesia
Remembering Never
Scarlet
Scars of Tomorrow
Silent Civilian
Sinai Beach
Shadows Fall
Shai Hulud
Shogun
Spitfire
Still Remains
Stretch Arm Strong
Suicide Silence
Swarm Of The Lotus
Symphony in Peril
Terror
Texas Is On Fire
The Acacia Strain
The Agony Scene
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Bled
The Burning Season
The Chariot
The Chronicles of Adam West
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Haunted
The Psyke Project
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Trepidation
Trivium
Through The Eyes Of The Dead
Unbroken
Underminded
UnderOATH
Undying
Unearth
Walls Of Jericho
With Dead Hands Rising
Winter Solstice
Zao
Zombie Apocalypse

If I miss a band or put a band that doesn't go in this genre please feel free to pm me about it.

Note once more, Metalcore isn't Metal or Hardcore. It is it's own genre.
I don't care how much you see these bands on Head bangers Ball or what ever.

-----------------------------

Learning! On GAIA!?

Hip-hop 101:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1215722

Goth 101:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3803397

[ Emo ] 101:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3367188

Hardcore 101:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8815105

Pop-Core
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15017907&page=1

----------------------------------
But wait there's more:
Official thread listening of metalcore bands on gaia(This is all I could fine, so help me out if you find others)-

Avenged Sevenfold (Main):
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5455034

From First to Last (Main):
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12345886

----------------------------------

Funny post on this thread:

Amythe
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
I dunno why, but I really like From First to Last.

Do you know why you like MCR? surprised

Because they're emo.

--------------------------------------
READ THIS!

maggie iratus
The metalcore thread is getting mighty spammy. I wanted to give you a bit of a warning before just boxing it. Please encourage the people of the thread to stay on topic and avoid using it as a Hang out thread.

You see that? Come in and talk about Metalcore or I'm going to kick your pixels in the a**, Aka Ignored list.

Much Love Moonlight.

wink heart
Sweetass.
I like some metalcore. What about From First to Last?
And I wouldn't neccisarily call From a Second Story Window metalcore. They seem more like real metal than anything.
Amythe
Sweetass.
And I wouldn't neccisarily call From a Second Story Window metalcore. They seem more like real metal than anything.

From a Second story Window real metal?
Like Iron Maiden?

I'll add FFTL. wink
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Sweetass.

Like Iron Maiden?

I'll add FFTL. wink

I'm a big fan of theirs, and they do sound like metal. More black metal, really.
Amythe
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Sweetass.

Like Iron Maiden?

I'll add FFTL. wink

I'm a big fan of theirs, and they do sound like metal. More black metal, really.

Now when you say Black metal. Like Venom or Old Dimmu?
I dislike most Metalcore bands a great deal, but I like the idea of there being a 101 topic for it. I am hoping this will prove helpful in keeping the music forum organized.
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Sweetass.

Like Iron Maiden?

I'll add FFTL. wink

No ******** clue. I'm not that huge on metal. You decide for yourself:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0X13T1M92S6DF3MUEOTB4BR565
Evil Tim
I dislike most Metalcore bands a great deal, but I like the idea of their being a 101 topic for it. I am hoping this will prove helpful in keeping the music forum organized.

Too many people mix up Death metal, Hardcore, and "Screamo" with Metalcore.
I for one don't like Metalcore. </3
Amythe
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Moonlight Agony
Amythe
Sweetass.

Like Iron Maiden?

I'll add FFTL. wink

No ******** clue. I'm not that huge on metal. You decide for yourself:

]http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0X13T1M92S6DF3MUEOTB4BR565

gonk
That doesn't sound like a Black metal band.
Moonlight Agony
Evil Tim
I dislike most Metalcore bands a great deal, but I like the idea of their being a 101 topic for it. I am hoping this will prove helpful in keeping the music forum organized.

Too true.

By the way, I just checked MA for info on From A Second Story Window, and it says they are Metalcore. confused
Although that site's data is not 100% accurate, I think it is safe to list them here.
Evil Tim
Moonlight Agony
Evil Tim

Too true.

By the way, I just checked MA for info on From A Second Story Window, and it says they are Metalcore. confused
Although that site's data is not 100% accurate, I think it is safe to list them here.

I can't really place them in a genre, if not metal. I don't detect much hardcore influences, unless you're talking hardcore grind. ninja
Amythe
Evil Tim
Moonlight Agony
Evil Tim

Too true.

I can't really place them in a genre, if not metal. I don't detect much hardcore influences, unless you're talking hardcore grind. ninja

Some metalcore bands have grindcore influences.
Amythe

I'm Dling the song as we speak, so I'll see what I think about it.

I'm not sure where you're getting Black Metal mixed up with Metalcore, though. You must be thinking Death Metal. ninja
Evil Tim
Amythe

I'm Dling the song as we speak, so I'll see what I think about it.

I'm not sure where you're getting Black Metal mixed up with Metalcore, though. You must be thinking Death Metal. ninja

I'm a big fan of melodic death metal. Too bad some of my old favorite bands lost their edge.
Listening to it now.

And yeah, I'm pretty positive this is Metalcore.
And its actually tolerable, too. Can't say its great, but its better than the average Metalcore band is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff