Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who's your favourite character?

OTHER (PM Falmariel and tell her... too many characters to name, the poll results is the third post.) 1 100.0% [ 235 ]
Total Votes:[ 235 ]
1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 >

Rules:

1: Please stay on topic. This means that as tempting as it is sometimes, don't bring History of Middle-earth stuff into the thread if you can help it, and explain it completely if you absolutely must.

2: Absolutely no flaming.

3: No repeat threads.

The Silmarillion - a beloved and yet very difficult book - is a compilation of the stories of Middle-earth, mostly those of the First Age. It begins by describing the creation of Ea (the universe), and Arda (the solar system, or more typically, Earth) by Eru (the God of Middle-earth), and the labours of the Valar (the powers, or lesser gods) to make his idea a reality.

Sauron's master, Morgoth, is the main villain of the Silmarillion. He is the primordial, first evil. His fall is a parallel to that of Lucifer in Christian theology. The Silmarillion is primarily the story of the Elves of the First Age, and the wars they faught in Middle-earth against Morgoth.

The title refers to the Silmarils, the beautiful jewels that were the creation of one of Feanor, "the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came the greatest renown of the Noldor, and their most grievous woe." When Morgoth stole these jewels and murdered Feanor's father, the king of the Noldor (the High Elves), Feanor vowed revenge and swearing a blasphemous Oath that would lead his sons and people to ruin, convinced most of the Noldor to chase after Morgoth.

Those of you who are familiar with the story should know what happens next, and I would hate to ruin the glory and tragedy of the Wars of Beleriand for those of you who have not. Falathrim, however, is ready to do so and I'll post his summary in the next post.

My final post beginning post will be discussing "favourite characters." So that this thread (and my inbox) does not get weighed down by discussion of favourite characters, please PM my mule Falmariel and tell me the name of your favourite (there are too many for a poll).

Thank you and enjoy the thread!

Any relevant discussion is allowed and encouraged.

2nd Post: Falathrim's Summary... Will probably be updated so that we can add a better summary. wink

3rd Post: FAVOURITE CHARACTERS, PM FALMARIEL WITH YOUR FAVOURITE

4th Post: Those who have voted in the previous post.
Fala's Summary, stolen from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page:

Quote:
Well, this book is really complicated, but I'll try to hit the high points real quickly. Maybe someday, when I have more time, I can improve on this.

God created the angels, and the angels created the world. But the Elves created the Silmarils, the Great Jewels, and fought over them for generations until Melkor, one of the greatest angels, took them away for safekeeping.

But Melkor's brother Morgoth stole the Silmarils, and the Elves swore they would fight the angels forever until they got the Silmarils back. The story is an allegory for greed, and also a tale JRRT told to demonstrate that you can never hope to fight God. In the end a brave Man named Beren steals the Silmarils from Morgoth, and when the Elves try to kill him to get them back (this is where the estrangement of Elves and Men occurs, which is to haunt JRRT's other works), he gives them to his son Earendil to take across the Sea and back to Heaven. And that's how peace is restored to Middle-earth.
Favourite Character Results

PM Falmariel if you haven't voted yet.

IMPORTANT: You can vote for people NOT ON THIS LIST.

First Place
Second Place
Third Place

Beren: 1
Celebrimbor: 1
Ecthelion: 1
Finarfin: 1
Fingolfin: 2
Finwe: 1
Glorfindel: 1
Hunthor: 2
Idril: 1
Luthien: 3
Maedhros: 5
Maglor: 2
Turin: 5
Maeglin: 1
Everyone Else: 0
Those Who Have Voted:

Rhaella (who wishes she could vote five more times domokun )
Falathrim
PearlZenith
Edhellos
Glorfirith Annun
Elainya (Maedhros fan! heart )
Thaxul
Nimbrethil
Yoh-ko Rapper Ithilvalan
Yrch
G. F. Handel
Teh Imy
SYFFER
Curumo
Nessule
=SkiRacerKy458=
Bluering Bearer (who looks like she would also have liked to vote five more times xd )
Nienna of the Valar
Moriquendi
Kanafinwe
Angel-of-Valinor
Russandol
Aglarien
Nenya
Frogger_Man
Saithis Bladewing
Fur-elise
Right, I'm going to try and start some discussion.

Which story/chapter was your favourite out of the Sil and why?
I haven't read it yet, unfortunately, but I'm planning to.
Ha! And you even needed to ask me...I am ASHAMED, Ellie, ASHAMED!

But actually, if Annatar counts, he comes as a close second. whee
Yoh-ko Rapper Ithilvalan
Ha! And you even needed to ask me...I am ASHAMED, Ellie, ASHAMED!

But actually, if Annatar counts, he comes as a close second. whee

Oh, Annatar counts. But if there were seconds and thirds and fourths... well, that just isn't the way it works. cry

And I knew what your answer would be. blaugh

@ Thaxul: My favourite chapter is Of Beren and Luthien. It seems something like the last spark of hope before everything goes to hell (until Earendil comes, at least whee ). I like many smaller parts of chapters... Fingon's rescue of Maedhros, Finrod finding Men, I suppose the entirety of the Nirnaeth domokun , and most certainly some of Feanor's temper tantrums (especially when they involve Morgoth and slamming doors), but altogether, Beren and Luthien has the perfect mix of wonder, tragedy, irony, and the interwoven seeds of destruction and of hope that will blossom fully in time.

I also love the last segment of the Quenta, which might count as its own chapter. domokun Here ends the SILMARILLION. If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwe and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos.
Of Beren and Luthien is my favourite too, and for mostly the same reasons as yours. The tragedy, happiness, and the retrieving of one of the Silmarili. Breathtaking stuff, indeed.

Other parts that I realy liked was the Alkallabeth. Having been apart of the Numenore guild for almost a year, I finally knew where it came from, and how it related to the Subforum. xd
Pippin is my favorite. Why? I'm not sure, actually. I just like him. However, Aragorn and Sam tie for second.
bardlover
Pippin is my favorite. Why? I'm not sure, actually. I just like him. However, Aragorn and Sam tie for second.

Pippin wan't in the Sil.
Neither was Aragorn nor Sam.
I tired reading it in 6th grade and was utterly defeated....
but my favorite is Finwe.... I think I heard that he destroyed the Lord of the Balrogs or something.... and also the Finwe's sword, Glamdring, eventually comes into the hands of Gandalf who uses it to defeat the last Balrog, in moria...
G. F. Handel
I tired reading it in 6th grade and was utterly defeated....
but my favorite is Finwe.... I think I heard that he destroyed the Lord of the Balrogs or something.... and also the Finwe's sword, Glamdring, eventually comes into the hands of Gandalf who uses it to defeat the last Balrog, in moria...

Sadly, you heard wrong. It was Ecthelion, an Elf-captain of Gondolin, who defeated the Lord of the Balrogs. Also, Glamdring was Turgon's sword, not Finwe.

My favorite (published) Silmarillion chapter, obviously, is Of Turin Turambar. Turin is easily my favorite character, and so that throws a lot of weight towards liking his chapter. Furthermore, I absolutely love his story, even if it's not a very particularly pretty one. Tragedy upon tragedy befalls the House of Hador, and yet nonetheless Hurin and Turin remained ever headstrong against the Enemy. It wasn't until he unwittingly ******** his sister that he gave up.

...in his shoes, I would've done quite a bit more than giving up.

I also like the second half that Tolkien never really finished and thus didn't make it into the published Silmarillion, but I'm not supposed to go there so... sorry Nandelle, I had to mention it, I couldn't help it! >.<
Falathrim
I also like the second half that Tolkien never really finished and thus didn't make it into the published Silmarillion, but I'm not supposed to go there so... sorry Nandelle, I had to mention it, I couldn't help it! >.<

Lindy knows that you can't help it.

Hence the disclaimer.
Falathrim
It was Ecthelion, an Elf-captain of Gondolin, who defeated the Lord of the Balrogs. Also, Glamdring was Turgon's sword, not Finwe.

Ecthelion! heart [/fangirl moment]

My favourite part of the Silmarillion starts with Tuor and his long journey along the sea, and then to Gondolin as a messenger of Ulmo. I just really love the scenery that he passes through, and the sea he journeys along for a while. And in BoLT, he plays a harp and carves pretty things. sweatdrop

Have to go to class, see you guys around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff