Welcome to Gaia! ::

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Greetings Site Feedback,

I come here on behalf of the Bug Reports and Tech Support Forum.
Today, I would like to discuss a little something which has been growing to be a problem for all of us over the past year or two:
The Item Cap
"We have an item cap?" some of you might say. And my answer is yes, yes we do.
This was confirmed over a year ago by carbonphyber, but the cap itself has existed since the creation of the site (or so we theorize)

The limit itself is a rather large number (20,000 items), so some of you might think that it isn't much of a threat.
However, with 1,000 pack Caches, increased item hoarding, and hundreds of Boost CIs being granted to single accounts (thanks to the recent event),
there has been an alarming increase in the amount of people hitting this item cap. And the symptoms of hitting the cap aren't pretty:
Trades are broken, Inventories won't load, and some people can't even make a forum post to report their problems.

I brought up this issue back in February at AtS and managed to get a reply, but all we were told was that the staff was "looking into it"
It is now 8 months later and it doesn't look like anything has been "looked into", and the number of accounts affected by this only grows.
... and trying to fix it on the user side is a pain, since it heavily relies on if you are lucky enough to still get your inventory to load.
(We have heard little to no replies about actual staff members stepping in to help fix this)

In conclusion... my feedback is that I would really love to see some work being done in order to increase/fix the item cap bugs.
If the staff needs us to do any testings as users in order to provide further information, I would be happy to help.
I can even redirect you to some of the many threads posted about the issue in BR&TS, if you want to talk to victims of this bug.

Thank you for your time and discussion.

P.S. I realize that "fix this bug" threads are generally discouraged in this forum, but this sort of information/discussion thread doesn't exactly belong in BR&TS. I apologize if you still think that it shouldn't be in here, but this is the best place for me to reach out to the staff about it, as well as raise community awareness about the problem.

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

Desirable Sex Symbol

Lady Saxophone
▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Greetings Site Feedback,

I come here on behalf of the Bug Reports and Tech Support Forum.
Today, I would like to discuss a little something which has been growing to be a problem for all of us over the past year or two:
The Item Cap
"We have an item cap?" some of you might say. And my answer is yes, yes we do.
This was confirmed over a year ago by carbonphyber, but the cap itself has existed since the creation of the site (or so we theorize)

The limit itself is a rather large number (20,000 items), so some of you might think that it isn't much of a threat.
However, with 1,000 pack Caches, increased item hoarding, and hundreds of Boost CIs being granted to single accounts (thanks to the recent event),
there has been an alarming increase in the amount of people hitting this item cap. And the symptoms of hitting the cap aren't pretty:
Trades are broken, Inventories won't load, and some people can't even make a forum post to report their problems.

I brought up this issue back in February at AtS and managed to get a reply, but all we were told was that the staff was "looking into it"
It is now 8 months later and it doesn't look like anything has been "looked into", and the number of accounts affected by this only grows.
... and trying to fix it on the user side is a pain, since it heavily relies on if you are lucky enough to still get your inventory to load.
(We have heard little to no replies about actual staff members stepping in to help fix this)

In conclusion... my feedback is that I would really love to see some work being done in order to increase/fix the item cap bugs.
If the staff needs us to do any testings as users in order to provide further information, I would be happy to help.
I can even redirect you to some of the many threads posted about the issue in BR&TS, if you want to talk to victims of this bug.

Thank you for your time and discussion.

P.S. I realize that "fix this bug" threads are generally discouraged in this forum, but this sort of information/discussion thread doesn't exactly belong in BR&TS. I apologize if you still think that it shouldn't be in here, but this is the best place for me to reach out to the staff about it, as well as raise community awareness about the problem.

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃

I have had the misfortune of dealing with this bug on my prior account with the Philosopher's Caches. A real pain this one can be. I reached out to the devs to see about them fixing my invo, but 3 months later, no changes have been made.

🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃
Holy crap, i only have 1,139 items

Hoarding Hoarder

Not sure if I'm just lucky or not, but I have over 20k items and haven't noticed any problems other than long loading wait times?

User Image

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Bee Movie Suit
Not sure if I'm just lucky or not, but I have over 20k items and haven't noticed any problems other than long loading wait times?

User Image
Some people don't start experiencing the issues until a little later... I'm just basing the 20k limit off of what carbonphyber posted ^^;
From what I've gathered, trades typically break first, followed by posting, and then inventories.
Just as a heads up though, you might want to consider doing an inventory clean-out...

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

Destructive Bunny

I'm at 12k items and starting to feel the pain while loading inventory and dress ups.

Opening a lot of rigs is a painfully slow process. I now no longer open alchemy caches or rigs like royal's shuffle on this account.

I'm sure I will reach 20k items sooner or later so I hope there are no further issues then,

Lucky Hoarder

74,775 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I recently had an issue with an item grant were I was given the wrong prize (Lake Kindred) and they told me that nothing could be done without ''investing a ton of resources'' because of my huge inventory and that I should try to aim for no more than 10k items. I told them there was no way I could get rid of that many items and decided to move on.

Nowadays with events granting 50+ different items, the dumpster dive and the flow of freebies is hard to keep a low inventory without having to constantly sell/trash/donate stuff.

Hoarding Hoarder

Lady Saxophone
▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Some people don't start experiencing the issues until a little later... I'm just basing the 20k limit off of what carbonphyber posted ^^;
From what I've gathered, trades typically break first, followed by posting, and then inventories.
Just as a heads up though, you might want to consider doing an inventory clean-out...

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

I wish I could but I'm just too terrible at letting thigs go. redface I'll keep going until they either have a solution or my account breaks. Besides, the description for the inventory tab says 'Whoever dies with the most toys wins!' So I may as well go out that way. smile

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200

Didn't they just raise the item cap?

Maybe selling or hosting giveaways would be a better option than having them try and raise the cap for hoarders.

I get to around 3 pages in my inventory and I just giveaway like crazy or create mules to try and decrease the clutter, or give stuff away to questors that can sell it to fund their quest or it's an item they're questing for..

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Astra Green

Maybe selling or hosting giveaways would be a better option than having them try and raise the cap for hoarders.

I get to around 3 pages in my inventory and I just giveaway like crazy or create mules to try and decrease the clutter, or give stuff away to questors that can sell it to fund their quest or it's an item they're questing for..

They raised the gold cap back in April of 2014. I haven't heard anything about an item cap being raised though, in relation to any part of the site. If you found a post about that, could you link me to it?

True, it isn't much of a problem for most of the site. Even I only have about 6,000 items ^^; But that's because I manage my inventory nicely and spread certain items onto mule accounts for safe-keeping. Some people build up large collections, like those who hoard SDPlus Dolls or MCs or Caches. Those are kind of hard to all transfer to another account...

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Lady Saxophone
▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Astra Green

They raised the gold cap back in April of 2014. I haven't heard anything about an item cap being raised though, in relation to any part of the site. If you found a post about that, could you link me to it?

True, it isn't much of a problem for most of the site. Even I only have about 6,000 items ^^; But that's because I manage my inventory nicely and spread certain items onto mule accounts for safe-keeping. Some people build up large collections, like those who hoard SDPlus Dolls or MCs or Caches. Those are kind of hard to all transfer to another account...

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

They raise the trade item limit from 12 to 30, and it's actually not hard to transfer 30 items over 5 accounts. I do it anytime the stock on my vending mules run low..

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Astra Green

They raise the trade item limit from 12 to 30, and it's actually not hard to transfer 30 items over 5 accounts. I do it anytime the stock on my vending mules run low..
Ah, yeah, that cap ' w ' ;;
The "cap" I am referring to in the OP though is different. It isn't any set system cap which says "you can only have 30 items in your trades" or "you can only have 500 items on your wishlist". It's more of a structural flaw... kind of like how if you stack a bunch of books on top of each other: eventually the tower of books will lean and become unstable and fall.

Actually on that subject, a good way to restructure things might be to set a specified inventory cap for everyone, so that they could not physically go over the 20k line and break things. That could lead to a lot of problems in the long run though (ex: if you have 19,999 items and accept a trade for 10 new items. Will the trade be denied?)

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

Ariellati's Bestie

I can't believe this bug exists and has existed for a long time. I hope they fix this soon because this is something one would consider a major bug. If they can't at least fix it, they should at least inform us, what the exact number is, or by adding a notification if we're close to the cap.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff