Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Bibliophile

I suppose this belongs MORE in the writers forum than anywhere else, and besides I'm most interested in artlanging as a facet of conworlding as a facet of writing u3u Do we have any other conlangers in the house? Or anybody interested in learning more about it? What are you guys working on? Tell me about your language(s) and projects~~

If anyone is curious, and doesn't know what I'm talking about, a conlang is a constructed language, and an artlang (artistic language) is like Sindarin, Klingon, Dothraki or Na'vi, a language you make up for fun, to explore how beautiful sounds and syntax are, or for use by a fictional culture! David J. Peterson and Mark Rosenfelder have a lot of interesting stuff on their respective sites. It's way more than just making up sounds to replace English words or words in other natural languages (natlangs, in the jargon)-- conlanging entails generating your own sounds, grammar, and vocabulary, as if it were a completely different foreign language. u3u

Somebody tell me if there's a better place for this D: i wanna talk about my obscure internet hobby with otherssss

Sparkly Gekko

There's a kinda-sorta-dead guild for this floating around somewhere. I stuck Yiwoyuwa up there a while back but have since stalled on its creation.

The main characters in a story I intend to write after I'm finished with my current laundry list of projects speak Yiwoyuwa. I've got a dictionary saved in MS Excel and a document full of grammar rules too.

Bashful Bibliophile

Goddess Rukus
There's a kinda-sorta-dead guild for this floating around somewhere. I stuck Yiwoyuwa up there a while back but have since stalled on its creation.

The main characters in a story I intend to write after I'm finished with my current laundry list of projects speak Yiwoyuwa. I've got a dictionary saved in MS Excel and a document full of grammar rules too.

Maybe I'll go look for this guild of which you speak....kinda dead is better than completely dead, I guess ;D Is that a /w/ in Yiwoyuwa? I love its name it's so melodious @____@. What're some of its features?

I've finally managed to divert myself into actually writing...anything...but my best-developed language is Shiari, which is ergative and agglutinative and has like eight honorificity levels uwu It's supposed to be a ""sociolinguistic language"" like Arabic with a ton of almost mutually unintelligible dialects and caste differences and stuff, buuuuut I'm lazy so really there's just the eastern noble dialect rn because that's what the character speaks |D

If your dictionary ever starts getting unwieldy in Excel, I've been looking around for a dictionary software and have found SIL Toolbox pretty handy P: Of course now I have to actually like, transfer over several thousand words. sigh

Sparkly Gekko

Eoskara
Good luck. It's called The Constructed Languages Guild and I think it's hidden or something last I checked.

I'm not up to speed on IPA but the 'w' in Yiwoyuwa is pronounced as the American English 'w' in 'what'. Generally I was just trying to make my words sound pretty but I do have the phonetic rules written down somewhere. I've got an alphabet too but it needs a revision since I haven't looked at it in a while. Some features are simple conjugations for verbs that get more and more complicated the more inferences you want to make with what you're saying and particles because particles are amazing and I love them.

Excel has the find function, so I'm good. Truthfully I have little vocabulary compared to most conlangers.

Bashful Bibliophile

Goddess Rukus

No worries, my IPA is mediocre at best, but I believe we're talking about the same sound...unless you happen to pronounce it "hwat" ;D Phonology is one of the last things I got into-- I'm more excited about it now, but I used to haaaate phonology @____@ I still like basically everything better u3u

I tried to transfer over to Excel when I first started revamping Shiari, but I've never used Excel for aaanything so I was pretty hopeless eheheh

Is Yiwoyuwa your only lang? It seems like most people either have one language they work all the time on, or keep accidentally stumbling into new ones that distract them, like me |D

Sparkly Gekko

Eoskara
I'm not talking about the breathy "hw" sound, so I'm pretty sure we're on the same page. I actually really really like phonology. But it's difficult for me to find something about constructing languages that I dislike.

Yiwoyuwa isn't my only conlang but it is the only one I really care about finishing, if you can even use the word "finishing" to describe anything related to language. (I've also got one that I did a lot of work on and then put away years ago. That one is completely different than Yiwoyuwa but if you look at the actual ability to form sentences and use the vocabulary it might be considered more complete. I don't work on it anymore though.)

I had used Excel before so making a dictionary out of it wasn't too difficult. Then again, my dictionaries only had literal direct translations and nothing else, pretty much. But that's fine for me because I'm not far along enough to include nuances and dialectal stuff anyways.

Bashful Bibliophile

Goddess Rukus

Yeah, I tend towards complicated dictionaries |D I just like weird little words I'm never going to be able to use, and since I do a lot of my vocabulary building by translation...I end up with situations where, when I started rebooting Shiari, I had a word for the inside of the mouth but not one for the number seven |D SEVEN JUST...NEVER HAPPENED TO COME UP...

These days, I don't mind anything about it-- when I started I pretty well just cribbed my sounds from natlangs, even more so than every other mistake I used to make P: But I still think semantics and usage is my favorite part! One reason I translate with texts is I get to make up a lot of slang and idioms [/SIGHS HAPPILY]

Sparkly Gekko

Eoskara
Oh my gosh that happened to me so much with Yiwoyuwa. Instead of translating word lists I would translate songs and passages from my favorite stories and stuff, but then I ended up with a word spread that was totally schizo. I have five words for rose but nothing for snow, how the hell did that happen?

Still though, since I intend to use Yiwoyuwa for a story it's okay if I only make the words I need.

Bashful Bibliophile

Goddess Rukus

That's what I keep telling myself...it's all okay...|D It was an especially awkward process when I got excited about putting together an actual grammar pdf with an example text, only to realize that my most productive example tests were all dirty top 10 pop songs because that was all this character wanted translated. OOPS

Or words I just know I'm only ever going to use in one extremely specific context, like...I have a word for "snappiness when you're tired" that I don't think I've EVER used, but I like it so much P:

One thing I still have a LOT of trouble with is language evolution and language families...ever since I read The Language Construction Kit (which I highly recommend) I've been kind of trying to get into it, but man, it's not easy stuff for me! With Shiari and the other languages in that world it was way easier since they were all superpowers on seperate continents and they didn't need to be descended from anything the same, but now that I'm looking at Estyeki, Kzhamiran, and Yulduzi--which are all in the same geographical area-- I know it's going to be a lot easier if I have a mother lang since they're all so close together @___@

Sparkly Gekko

Eoskara
Oh, I've got the Language Construction Kit on the reference section of my bookshelf. It's a good resource. 3nodding

Yeah that happens to me too. I haven't done much with making languages that are related to each other though. It seems like it'd be a challenge.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I've been playing with conlangs since middle school. Been working on one particular since about... high school? Haven't touched on it much lately though. I really should again. There is so much I need to refine.

Been toying with some other languages, too. But I keep wanting them to be based around this one I'm working on, so... yeah.

Goddess Rukus
Eoskara
Oh, I've got the Language Construction Kit on the reference section of my bookshelf. It's a good resource. 3nodding

Yeah that happens to me too. I haven't done much with making languages that are related to each other though. It seems like it'd be a challenge.

Language Construction Kit? That sounds useful. eek
Xiam
Goddess Rukus

If it's anything like the online version.
- 3nodding

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
Goddess Rukus

If it's anything like the online version.
- 3nodding

I should give that some further perusal in the future. emotion_awesome I need to really buckle down and get working on my conlang. I've noticed it's requiring some use in my this world I've been wandering lately when I drift off into daydreams. Unfortunately, since I don't know it, it's hard to understand anybody who uses it. rofl

Celestial Spirit

I've got several related languages in my main project, but I haven't finished working out the syntax for the mother tongue. It's one of those things I keep going back and forth on whether or not I actually need it. I mean I'd really like to have at least the two most useful ones, but damn it's a lot of work! sweatdrop

Bashful Bibliophile

Goddess Rukus
Eoskara

I think it's probably the hardest thing I've done! @____@ The only one where I keep just scrapping ALL my work and starting over again because I'm unsatisfied, rather than just forging forward and changing it to something I like better, you know...

Sianserais

Gosh, I know @__@ And the Language Construction Kit was what finally convinced me I probably ought to work out mother-tongue stuff, but it's so much work ahha. There's a certain level of beauty in inputing words you like and getting out words you like with the sound change applier, but I just don't get the same rush out of creating words that way, it's just like, idk theres something about just putting pretty sounds together I really like~~~ At the same time it feels more purposeful for grammar than just tossing on prefixes...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff