Yes 0.83333333333333 83.3% [ 105 ]
No 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 21 ]
Total Votes:[ 126 ]
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 >

6,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • First step to fame 200
We all talk about the best writing advice we receive or want to know what the best writing advice is. Who doesn't want to be in on that juicy little secret? I want to know what the WORST writing advice you have ever received is or any writing advice that didn't apply to you or rules you broke.

I'm having a hard time thinking of the WORST, advice I ever received off the top of my head, so I will go with a piece of advice that didn't apply to me as a children's author.

dramallama Don't write rhyming stories.

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Destiny is your Faith
We all talk about the best writing advice we receive or want to know what the best writing advice is. Who doesn't want to be in on that juicy little secret? I want to know what the WORST writing advice you have ever received is or any writing advice that didn't apply to you or rules you broke.

I'm having a hard time thinking of the WORST, advice I ever received off the top of my head, so I will go with a piece of advice that didn't apply to me as a children's author.

dramallama Don't write rhyming stories.

The worst writing advice I received was actually in this forum, and it wasn't necessarily writing advice. I had writer's block in what others saw as an inspirational setting, because I was struggling with depression. Writing was my only gateway to peace, and I was panicking because I couldn't write anymore. Their advice?

"Stop making excuses and write. You're just looking for attention. "

My reaction?

Attempted suicide. Thanks, guys~
"Don't ever write about death"

Given to me by a writing professor in response to a short story. I honestly knew it wasn't my best or most original piece but I was a bit shocked that it was used as an example to the class about why writing about death is so bad. (She never really made it clear why writing about death but it sounded like it was mostly because it's overdone)

It wasn't even a statement uniquely intended for me because she thought I was incapable of it or something. It was to the whole class.

Something better might have been to "Tread carefully when writing about death. It's easy to tread into cliches or unrealistic fiction. Ask yourself what role the death plays and why is it important?"
Singing Seraph

The worst writing advice I received was actually in this forum, and it wasn't necessarily writing advice. I had writer's block in what others saw as an inspirational setting, because I was struggling with depression. Writing was my only gateway to peace, and I was panicking because I couldn't write anymore. Their advice?

"Stop making excuses and write. You're just looking for attention. "

My reaction?

Attempted suicide. Thanks, guys~

Oh no that's absolutely horrible. I can't even imagine. I wish I could say that I can't believe someone would respond like that, but sadly that kind of response is far too common. I hope you were able to get your Muse back. I know how it is. When writing used to be your solace, but then you find the inspiration won't come. Something I've delt with as well. sad

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I don't think I've ever been given bad writing advice.

I've seen people here give really shitty advice though. Pretty much any response to the "mary sue" problem that isn't "there are no mary sues" is poison. I've seen people told there's no such thing as writer's block...Then of course there's the folks who think first drafts should be meticulously checked for grammar and spelling, as if large chunks of what's been written aren't likely to be cut.

Hygienic Browser

I don't think I've been given bad writing advice before, but I've talked to someone who has actually tried to justify his bad grammar and punctuation. He made a thread asking for people's opinions, so I gave him mine: his grammar was off (he even made up words rather than open a dictionary to see if they even existed), his punctuation caused his sentences to be badly constructed to the point of confusion for the reader, which is frustrating in general; as well, he had a bad habit of trying to make his writing cerebral, which only made it tedious because it was clearly forced.

Needless to say, he didn't like my opinions, but he had no issue with others who praised him. He immediately began defending his writing mistakes as "style," trying to use the writing styles of other writers as examples--like C.S. Lewis using excessive amounts of parentheses in his writing. It was ridiculous. This guy tried to guilt trip me after I gave him my critique because he was butthurt, too. It didn't work, mostly because at that point, I was fed up with his attitude.

So I guess in this case, his bad advice would have been this: bad punctuation, grammar, and the attempt to make your writing artificially intellectual is all just another form of style, not bad writing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Look at C.S. Lewis!

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Possibly the worst is: "Write like [blank author]." Doesn't mater what author. We all have flaws, and someone else's style isn't going to work for me or even necessarily my ideas.

Other bad writing advice:

"Do twelve revisions, and in each one check for different things (adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, everything)." Who the f**k does that for a 90k novel?

"Don't write in restricted third person."

"Don't open with dialogue ever." Ever, really?

"Cut all 'be' verbs." Oh, God, I hate hearing this, and I hear it in all of my writing classes. Am I supposed to write, "I experienced 17 years on this Earth before today," (because any linking verbs are also evil) when someone asks a character how old they are? I'll admit that doesn't sound as bad I expected, but com'on. No one talks like that.

Hygienic Browser

Sinann of Erin

"Do twelve revisions, and in each one check for different things (adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, everything)." Who the f**k does that for a 90k novel?

emotion_puke

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Sea Thrift
Sinann of Erin

emotion_puke
I'm convinced he's only ever written short stories and mainly for his classes, but I could be wrong. Still don't think he'd say that if he had that much to revise, though.

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Klaark
Pretty much any response to the "mary sue" problem that isn't "there are no mary sues" is poison.
The worst piece of writing advice I've ever gotten was "don't write Mary Sues." I don't remember if someone ever told me this point blank, but there was (and maybe still is, I dunno) a big part of fandom dedicated to making fun of Mary Sue and self-insert fanfiction, so it made me shy of writing anything with original [female] characters.

Thankfully, I've since grown out of this. I love writing Mary Sues, and I'm not even sorry.

O.G. Elder

Sinann of Erin

I've found this one out there a lot and I understand the reasoning behind it. Starting with dialogue drops a reader right into something already in progress and this is not usually handled very well. It's typically much smoother to guide someone into the dialogue with narrative even if the dialogue is the first thing that actually happens. Doesn't need to be much, just a little bit of scene setting.

Quote:

"Cut all 'be' verbs." Oh, God, I hate hearing this, and I hear it in all of my writing classes. Am I supposed to write, "I experienced 17 years on this Earth before today," (because any linking verbs are also evil) when someone asks a character how old they are? I'll admit that doesn't sound as bad I expected, but com'on. No one talks like that.

This one honest-to-God originated from a good place. 'Be' verbs are particularly common in passive voice which is generally less interesting to read than active voice writing. It's supposed to drive you to write more about what characters are doing and show what they are through their actions rather than have you take up valuable narrative saying what they are.

That said, sometimes the 'be' verb route is the smoothest, most efficient way to get something across.

Klaark
I've seen people told there's no such thing as writer's block.

I tend to preach that line, not because there's nothing of the sort but because it's much too commonly blamed instead of the real solvable problems that are holding up the writing process. Then people tend to ask "how can I fix Writer's Block" as if it's some single issue that can always be tackled the same way instead of addressing the underlying issues.

There's no mystical wall that appears in front of a writer and prevents him from doing what he wants to do.

Obsessive Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Invisibility 100
I think any absolute advice is bad advice such as "Never do this" Or "Always do that" a skilled writer can make occasional use of things that less skilled do poorly in amazing ways and using absolutes can back you into a corner.
I think the worst advice would be: Don't write.

Can't say I've ever received any bad writing advice. It's all a matter of opinion, so I try to consider what advice I'm given. Now, I may not have agreed with the advice, but the few I can think of weren't what I'd call bad.

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Black Gabriel
Sinann of Erin

I've found this one out there a lot and I understand the reasoning behind it. Starting with dialogue drops a reader right into something already in progress and this is not usually handled very well. It's typically much smoother to guide someone into the dialogue with narrative even if the dialogue is the first thing that actually happens. Doesn't need to be much, just a little bit of scene setting.
I suppose, but I hate anything that says "always" or "never". It's just stupid to assume all writing needs any one thing. Besides, I've found it can make a pretty good hook if handled correctly."

Black Gabriel
Quote:

This one honest-to-God originated from a good place. 'Be' verbs are particularly common in passive voice which is generally less interesting to read than active voice writing. It's supposed to drive you to write more about what characters are doing and show what they are through their actions rather than have you take up valuable narrative saying what they are.

That said, sometimes the 'be' verb route is the smoothest, most efficient way to get something across.
I think cutting all passive voice is just as heavyhanded and ridiculous. There are absolutely valid reasons to write in passive voice (Generally, if you want to focus the sentence on something or avoid "someone" or "something" (which isn't even a part of speech, really, it's a grammatical construct to avoid passive voice), but also if you're talking about groups of people, and a variety of other reasons), and it's a grammatically valid sentence structure that also provides some variety to a sentence.

Consider:

I was nearly hit by that car! (Passive)
That car nearly hit me! (Active)

This kind of sounds ridiculous, because a car really isn't "hitting" anything, because it's an object, and also: we're worried about our friend, not the bloody car, so putting the person first makes the sentence have a different emphasis.

Sparkly Gekko

I've found linking verbs useful for when two things happen simultaneously. If I read these two sentences, for example:

He ate the hamburger. He pet the dog.

I assume that he first ate the hamburger and then, after he was done eating, pet the dog. But if it's got a linking verb then it looks like this:

He was eating the hamburger. He pet the dog.

In that structure he is petting the dog while eating a hamburger.

(Excuse the fact that the example sentences are ridiculously simple and choppy.)

The common advice to never use or avoid linking verbs seems silly to me. Actually, I agree with everyone who said that advice which demands a "never use this type of word, never do this, never do that" mentality is pretty stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff