Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I wasn't sure where to post this. I am not really seeking advice, I'm actually kind of giving it to all of you, because sometimes good books/movies get ruined by unnecessary deaths.
By unnecessary deaths, I mean, like, a person dying in a story simply to make the reader/audience feel sad. Or like when the author thinks "Hurm, no one's died yet. That's odd. *KILLS MOST LIKABLE CHARACTER*"

Examples? HINT: THERE ARE SPOILERSThe Hunger Games. Prim. She seriously had no reason to die, except to make you sad and make Katniss sad. BUT KATNISS WAS ALREADY SAD. In fact, she was borderline suicidal. I'm surprised she didn't jump off a bridge after the death of her sister because of all the other crap that was happening. Oh yeah, and Finnick. His death was there simply to make someone important die so we all could realize what a dangerous situation they were all in.
Need more examples? Wash from Firefly. Cyclops in X-Men. I could go on and on with a lot of random examples.

By the way, no, I am not complaining because I liked these characters. (Although I really did like Wash, Finnick, and Prim). I am complaining because it messes up the story and makes the author look a little stupid.

So my advice? When you guys are writing, think about WHY this person is dying. Not, like, "Gosh, I need to get an emotional response from my readers." Or better yet: "Gosh, I don't want my main character cheating on this guy. How do I get rid of him so she can date this other character without her looking like a bad guy? I KNOW. I'LL KILL HIM."

The death needs to be important to the plot. It needs to make sense. If you need a situation to look dangerous, injure a couple of people, or at least MOURN the person's death when necessary. I was seriously waiting for people to mourn Finnick, but NO ONE EVER DID. At least not enough. It was just like, "Damn, he died. That sucks. Oh well. He was a really close friend of mine, but I'm not gonna care. WHOOOO..."

Okay, I'm done ranting.

TL;DR: When you kill a character in a story, it should be there only to have some kind of meaning to the plot. In fact, everything in your story should have meaning.

So. Discuss: Characters who didn't need to die, characters you want to kill, et cetera...

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Bump my rant~

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Oh yeah, and the reason Wash's death angers me so much is because he was the comedy relief. You don't kill the comedy relief. That is a big no-no.
My brother said Jayne was pretty funny, but that's a different kind of funny. Jayne's funny because he's stupid. Wash is funny because he's witty and silly. YOU DON'T KILL THAT.

The shepherd's death was alright for the story. Because it was a little important. He had some last minute things he needed to say to Mal about his faith, plus they needed the bodies for cover from reevers, and it showed how bad the Alliance was. I mean, that all kind of makes sense.
You won't need to bump here. It's a very slow forum.
Singing Seraph
You don't kill the comedy relief. That is a big no-no.

Why not? Life doesn't care if you're witty or silly - if you hang around a giant space battle between two massive fleets, there's always a chance you could take an arrow to the knee, or a spike to the chest. If being funny gave a character some sort of immunity to danger, it would kinda ruin the tension and suspense, wouldn't it?

Infinite Space did this perfectly. Characters died. Sometimes they were assholes who'd been doing horrible things to you and your crew. Other times they were friends, and allies. One of the most emotionally charged scenes in that game is where an important character dies trying to save the main character. This individual had been fighting along side you for most of the Second Act, and he/she (I don't want to spoil it, if you've played it, you'll know who I'm talking about. If not, I'll keep it as vague as I can) brought a lot of light hearted fun to what would have been an otherwise dark and depressing chapter. His/Her death showed that the upcoming conflict was big, and that none of the main characters were safe.

Obsessive Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Invisibility 100
Can I just ask are you sure these deaths were unnecessary? I don't think a good writer would spontaneously kill off characters without some reason. Are you positive that they don't have motivations you don't understand? also what kind of response where you hoping to get here?

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Maltese_Falcon91

Why not? Life doesn't care if you're witty or silly - if you hang around a giant space battle between two massive fleets, there's always a chance you could take an arrow to the knee, or a spike to the chest. If being funny gave a character some sort of immunity to danger, it would kinda ruin the tension and suspense, wouldn't it?

Infinite Space did this perfectly. Characters died. Sometimes they were assholes who'd been doing horrible things to you and your crew. Other times they were friends, and allies. One of the most emotionally charged scenes in that game is where an important character dies trying to save the main character. This individual had been fighting along side you for most of the Second Act, and he/she (I don't want to spoil it, if you've played it, you'll know who I'm talking about. If not, I'll keep it as vague as I can) brought a lot of light hearted fun to what would have been an otherwise dark and depressing chapter. His/Her death showed that the upcoming conflict was big, and that none of the main characters were safe.

Okay, that is a very good point. I do stand corrected on that.
And did you say an arrow to the knee on purpose? Because I caught that. Kudos. Lol.

Enduring Member

12,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Firestarter 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
SerenaLyoko720
Can I just ask are you sure these deaths were unnecessary? I don't think a good writer would spontaneously kill off characters without some reason. Are you positive that they don't have motivations you don't understand? also what kind of response where you hoping to get here?

You're right. A good writer wouldn't kill off characters without a good reason. Which proves my point. Suzanne Collins just isn't that great of a writer. Granted, the story was very interesting, thought-provoking, and compelling. But the unnecessary deaths, her frequent use of the words "stuff" and "things," and other points I just don't feel like getting into right now prove my point. She's just not a good writer. Probably a potential good writer, seeing as I was willing to look past the flaws and accept the story as a good one. Even though it's a lot like Battle Royale.
And if there's motivations for the deaths of those characters that I can't understand, shouldn't it be the writer's job to let the audience understand why? Because the only logical reasons I can see are for emotional responses from the readers, an opening for another character to get the girl, a person just simply needing to die, or a TV series that needs to end with no hope of ever returning.
Singing Seraph
Okay, that is a very good point. I do stand corrected on that.

I've never been big into plot armour, myself. Actually, one of things I've always despised is action without consequence. If a character is injured, it's sort of expected that the injury will slow him or her down, or cause them at least some grief. Most media is pretty good about this, but then you do get the odd book where a violent and bloody car chase scene is thrown in from the hell of it, and never really seems to come up, ever again.
Singing Seraph
How do I get rid of him so she can date this other character without her looking like a bad guy? I KNOW. I'LL KILL HIM."

This is one point I completely agree on. Killing someone just for the sake of a character's relationship is a horrible idea. The best case scenario is that it's just taking the easy way out. The worst is that it's a Deus Ex Machina
Singing Seraph
And did you say an arrow to the knee on purpose? Because I caught that. Kudos. Lol.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
SerenaLyoko720
I don't think a good writer would spontaneously kill off characters without some reason.

Wait, does "It's super fun!" qualify as a good reason?

Obsessive Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Invisibility 100
Singing Seraph
SerenaLyoko720

You're right. A good writer wouldn't kill off characters without a good reason. Which proves my point. Suzanne Collins just isn't that great of a writer. Granted, the story was very interesting, thought-provoking, and compelling. But the unnecessary deaths, her frequent use of the words "stuff" and "things," and other points I just don't feel like getting into right now prove my point. She's just not a good writer. Probably a potential good writer, seeing as I was willing to look past the flaws and accept the story as a good one. Even though it's a lot like Battle Royale.
And if there's motivations for the deaths of those characters that I can't understand, shouldn't it be the writer's job to let the audience understand why? Because the only logical reasons I can see are for emotional responses from the readers, an opening for another character to get the girl, a person just simply needing to die, or a TV series that needs to end with no hope of ever returning.

Well maybe the author did convey there reasons just because you don't like the reasons doesn't really mean much. Also as a writer a huge part of what I'm doing is attempting to get readers to respond emotionally and there isn't anything wrong with that reason. In fact I think its a great reason. Also a person needing to die just because is also a good reason if what you're writing is suppose to contain death as a main theme. The other two could be good reasons too although usually are executed poorly.

Maltese_Falcon91

SerenaLyoko720
I don't think a good writer would spontaneously kill off characters without some reason.

Wait, does "It's super fun!" qualify as a good reason?

It's super fun could be a good reason It really depends. although I didn't ever say it had to be a good one I said some reason. Even a bad reason would be acceptable as long as its good writing.

Shy Phantom

Bump emotion_kirakira
Prim's death was necessary to cause both the reader and Katniss to realize that one government is much the same as another. It was far from a useless death.

Death happens in life. If a book as action packed as The Hunger Games didn't have death, i would find it unrealistic.
Singing Seraph
SerenaLyoko720

I think you need to go back and critique the book again. As I said below it seemed extremely obvious to me that Prim's death was to show Katniss that one government is much the same as another. I don't think that not killing characters off because it will hurt the feelings of your main character is a good excuse not to further your story.

O.G. Elder

I've always been of two minds about this subject.

On one hand, I believe that every word of a story should be useful and meaningful. To steal from a short story I read recently "there's got to be 'stuff' on every page." If you waste a lot of pages on a death scene that ultimately doesn't contribute anything, then that's a waste of pages.

However, on the other hand, death does not have to be necessary. Death is an arbitrary and capricious force. There are things out there at every moment that can take your life away, and there's nothing you can do about it and there's no reason it should be any different in fiction. If you felt something reading it, then it was not for nothing. If the character's absence is notable, then the death was not unnecessary.

Dapper Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Singing Seraph
Even though it's a lot like Battle Royale.
You saying that makes me believe you never actually read Battle Royale. The only similarities is that it has children fighting and killing one another but for drastically different reasons.

Hunger Games it was to instill fear among the people of the Districts. "We make your children fight and die for our entertainment. That is the kind of power we have."

In Battle Royale it was to instill paranoia among the people. "If children are willing to kill their classmates how can you trust anyone?"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff