Welcome to Gaia! ::

would you like your name mentioned in it? (RP characters...some usernames wont work...like mine)

YES 0.625 62.5% [ 5 ]
DEAR GOD, NO! 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
GOLDGOLDGOLDGOLDGOLDGOLD!!!!! 0.375 37.5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
This is a story i started working on over a year ago, i recently started working on it again due to the hype over Undermountain.

Unfortunately, I lost my original piece (along with 10 chapters) on my old laptop, and am stuck with the error filled version from before sweatdrop

Here is chapter one (as far as i had gotten to spelling/grammar checking). this is still in the rough draft phase, so i apologize ahead of time for the lack of description in some areas, feel free to add critisms after reading it smile

(WARNING: may be TL;DR, names of some areas have been changed/are working names because of lack of permission from Gaiaonline--should i ever publish this ninja )
Prologue

Science is key to our modern world; for without science, all the technological advances our race is proud to have achieved wouldn’t exist. An even greater force that we humans seem to have abandoned was the power of magic. While not as understood as science, magic itself is a much more potent force. A force which governs another world, a world lost to another time; the world of Gaia.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Chapter 1: Child of the Stars

Deep across the vastness of space, a deep purple asteroid slowly glided past Loreon, a small planet outside of Gaia’s orbit, lifeless and barren, Lore is much like Earth’s moon. Slowly glowing red as it punched Gaia’s atmosphere. The citizens of Gaia rushed to their windows as the great ball of red and purple broke apart into 6 smaller pyres of light.

“Hey, do you see that?” ask Alyx, a small elven boy, looking up at the clouds,” a shooting star!”

Shooting stars were rarely ever seen on Gaia, the elves believed it was a message from the gods. Five at once, however, has never been recorded, and must mean big change was coming, and fast.

“Yeah, beautiful,” said Lin, Alyx’s sister. The two were twins, something considered unique in the Elf community. Alyx, a tall muscular boy, contrasted strongly with his short, skinny sister. Both were skilled with different weapons; Lin, the bow and arrow, and Alyx, the sword. It was not uncommon for the elves to learn the ways of weaponry at a young age; this would prepare them for service when they were older.

“I wonder if we could find bits and pieces of it,” said Alyx, sitting up, his bright eyes trained on where he thought the meteor had landed.

“No, it probably landed in the water,” said Lin, walking toward a giant oak tree. Lin was the more cautious of the two, always thinking before acting, it was not uncommon for her to question often before acting.

“Come on, it’ll be fun,” said Alyx, standing up. He slowly walked in the direction the meteor had fallen, leaving his sister behind. Sitting up, she quickly ran after Alyx, not wanting to be left behind.

“Over there,” said Lin,” see that?” The two walk over to a burned patch of ground, small plumes of fire and smoke poked through the grass. Several trees lay snapped in half, a large gaping hole protruded from the side of the hill where the shooting star hit.

“Ooh,” exclaimed Alyx, craning his neck to get a better view.

“Stay away from that!” yelled a man in a grey cloak.

“Who are you?” asked Lin, looking over at the piece of meteorite, and then quickly back at the man.

“I am Leon, commander of the Cross Borders Army,” said the tall man in a gruff voice,” and right now, you two need to move along, this area isn’t safe for you kids.”

“We were just leaving,” said Lin, She and Alyx turned back toward Barton, murmuring to each other.

Barton was the main village that the elves and gnomes came together in the woods. The exact origins of how Barton came to be are unknown; many think it was the first settlement of the elves after the Great War, eons ago. Still, Barton is widely recognized as the home of the every-man, a place where people can come to enjoy time with friends and family.

Later that night, the officials of the Cross Borders Army gathered around in the chambers of King Das. They met in the library, the largest room in the whole castle. It was comprised of massive arched shelving, each decorated to match the theme of books it held; a dark theme for horror, a bright theme for those with joyous endings, and even an aged shelf for scholarly books. King Das was known for his love of books; when he wasn’t on duty watching over the kingdom, you could guarantee that he was reading some form of literature.

“My king, they have arrived,” said a man in uniform, scurrying into the room.

“Good, have the maids set out some wine,” replied King Das, laying his book down on his ornate reading chair.

“As you wish,” said the man, walking out of the room. The meeting commenced as King Das, Queen Evylen, and Commander Leon gathered at the table.

“Reports are coming in of a large number of everyday household objects coming to life,” said Commander Leon, looking down at a sheet of paper. He had spent the day calming everyone, and his tired expression showed through is gruff facial features. Even so, he talked with an almost casual tone.

“This does pose an intriguing problem,” replied the King, sipping his tea,” have the animated shown any signs that they are a threat to our people?”

“Not yet, they seem to be keeping to themselves at the moment,” said Commander Leon, “although the gnomes at the southern end of the gate appear to be almost hive-minded toward some goal. One I am not certain of.”

“We should keep watch over them,” said Queen Evylen,” just in case.”

“I agree,” said Commander Leon,” something about them, I just don’t trust them.”

“What should we tell the citizens?” asked Queen Evylen,” obviously they will begin to panic when their household items come to life as well.”

“I propose we send a team to investigate,” said King Das, setting his cup down.

“I second this,” said Commander Leon.

“Very well,” said King Das,” Leon, pick from the regiments the best of your men.”

“On it, Sir,” replied the commander. The meeting came to a close as they finished the last of trivial
matters in everyday life.

“I wonder what that was about,” said Lin, she and Alyx were walking back to their house.

“Not sure,” replied Alyx, skipping a stone,” whatever it was seemed pretty important to have the Legion over in this area.”

“I know, maybe Old Man Gupp will know something,” said Lin, walking into the house.

The next day, Alyx and Lin headed out toward Bass’ken Lake, home of Old Man Gupp and his quirky little fishing shop. A meteor had struck near his shop and he spent the morning putting the fires out.

“Hey kiddies,” said Gupp as the twins approached his counter. Gupp was an experience fisherman with stories that could liven up even the most monotonous of moments. He has literally seen it all and not much out there that can surprise him anymore.

“Did you happen to see the shooting star that hit last night?” asked Alyx, toying with a fishing lure.

“Nope, I must’ve been asleep,” said Gupp, walking over to the fishing poles,” although I am missing some of my fishing jackets.”

“Oh, well we wanted to ask you something,” said Lin,” something about why the Cross Borders were there so fast, it’s like they knew where the meteors were before they hit the ground.

“Huh, well something probably just spooked ‘em is all,” said Gupp,” you know how they are. Every time something small happens, they always want credit for it.”

“Well, they wouldn’t even let us look,” said Alyx.

“Probably for your safety,” said Gupp, sitting on his chair, he motioned for the two to join him.

“Well, what could have been there that they didn’t want us to see?” asked Lin, sitting across from Alyx.

“I don’t know, maybe a fire broke out,” said Gupp,” You know fires can be very dangerous.”

“Well, we didn’t see any fires,” said Lin.

“Look, you two should probably be heading back to your dad, I’m sure he could use some help around the yard.”

“Okay, see ya Gupp,” said Alyx. He and Lin left the store to go back to their dad. Meanwhile, Gupp hurriedly went to the back of his store, opened a secret underground door, and left the store.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Chapter 2: The Mighty Durem

The city of Durem is all but impenetrable, the crown jewel of Gnome creation. It sits atop of a mighty hill, surrounded by a river to the north, and a river to the south. To the west, sits the rear of a jagged mountain, protecting her from any attack from behind; to the east is a road that stretches over three hundred feet and is heavily guarded from attack. As for the city heart herself, it is nestled at the center of a set of 3 walls, each a last line of defense. In all its seven hundred years of existence, no one has ever made it passed the road to even enter the city for an attack, let alone the three inner walls.

No attack on Durem has ever been successful thanks to the famed Cross-Borders Army, a group of one thousand soldiers who spend their entire lives in active duty. While most soldiers also have a job outside of the Army, such as wood working or crafting, they are all on call at any moment.

“I have gathered you four because you each show what this great army has to offer,” said King Das, looking down at four uniformed soldiers.

“Why exactly are we here?” asked Tyre,” should we not be with our brothers watching over these ‘animated?’” Tyre was strong and had a tough, war-hardened exterior to him; he wanted nothing more than to return the animated back to their place.

“Excellent question,” said King Das,” as of yet, we do not know what exactly has brought them to life; only that our current weapons cannot even harm them.” The King picked up a piece of paper, looked over it, then gently set it down.

“So what can we do that you guys haven’t already done?” asked Caleb, turning to the other three soldiers.

“I have sent a man to investigate happenings in Dead Man’s Valley,” replied the King,” he has not returned, so I am sending you four on a rescue mission.”

“Should we not be preparing for war, instead?” asked Tyre,” It is obvious the trolls are amassing an army if they have found your man.”

“We do not know that he has been captured,” said King Das,” but you four must also gather as much information on these animated as you can. If possible, find and bring Ali back to us.”

“We will not fail you,” said Kronos.

“I know,” replied the King,” you are all fine soldiers, do me your best, find a way to keep this from turning to war.”
The meeting ended and the four soldiers, Kronos, Tyre, Caleb and Shia, went on to prepare for their journey. Later that evening, they met in the galley to enjoy a nice meal before leaving.

“Ali was a good friend of mine,” said Tyre, inspecting his piece of chicken, then slowly taking a bite,” we grew up not far from each other.”

“He probably just ran into a little trouble is all,” said Caleb,” for all we know, he could be on his way
to the city right now.”

“A naive dream,” said Tyre,” but I hope you are right.” They finished their meals and headed to their barracks before leaving the next day.

Dead Man’s Valley, so called because everyone who has ever entered has never come out, is believed to be guarded by a mighty beast. Legend tells of a time when the Valley used to be the common route taken by all traders and wanderers to and from the northern half of Gaia to southern half. Then began the Great War, a war which ravaged all of Gaia, the trolls attacked a gnome village, causing other gnomes to fight back. The elves, originally not wanting any part were drawn into battle after a troll hunting party murdered King Menos. The war, which lasted over four hundred years, eventually ended when the gnomes and elves managed to force the trolls into a valley way, where they constructed a mighty wall, sealing them in to this day.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Chapter 3: Calypso

The Group set out early in the morning for Dead Man’s Pass, the only entry into the valley.

“So, do any of you really believe the tales of the beast guarding the valley?” asked Caleb. Caleb was one of the newer members to join the Cross Borders Army, but his above average skill with a bow and arrow helped him gain rank quickly compared to the average soldier.

“Of course not,” said Kronos, looking over at Caleb,” Everyone knows those are just stories parents tell their kids to keep them close to the house.” Kronos was the opposite of Caleb; he was tall, strong, and a good swordsman; But he was also somewhat of a brute, who relied on his axe more so than his wit.

“Yeah, I know,” said Caleb, shuffling arrows on his back. The crew continued their trek in relative silence.
Gaia faced constant war, usually after groups had settled their differences, or one just wiped out the other, other people would soon take their place and war would start back up again. Few people could walk through the woods and not always be alert at the constant threat of a troll hunting party attacking or the bandits wandering the forest looking for the next priceless item to put on the Black Market. When one does have the chance to admire the true beauty of the forest, it is usually within the confines of the Zen Gardens west of the Barton gates.

“This looks like a nice place to set up camp,” said Tyre, lowering his pack,” Kronos, make sure there is nothing lurking in the woods. Caleb, go and fetch some water.”

“On it,” said Kronos, he and Caleb walked off to search for a fresh source of water. The sounds of nature could be heard all around Caleb as he walked toward the stream; crickets chirping, birds calling to one another.
Caleb lowered himself to the babbling stream, opening his canteen to fill it with the cold water. Suddenly, the whole forest grew eerily quiet, not even the leaves made a sound.

“Hello? Is someone there?” His reply was met with more silence. The ground began to shake violently, knocking him to the ground and spilling the water. On the other side of the stream, the ground begam to rise up, revealing a large eight-legged creature. Its face was a twisted mass of earth and metal, it clamored around screeching a loud and piercing shriek. Caleb quickly stood up and pulled his bow to his chest, he released an arrow into the other-worldly being’s head. Pausing only for a second, it yelped and charged Caleb with its large right claw, slamming him into the ground.

“Caleb!” yelled Kronos, pulling his axe from his back and swinging at the behemoth, knocking it to the ground.

“Shia, he needs help,” said Tyre, kneeling at Caleb’s side. The two dragged his unconscious body from the river and set him on his back.

“I’ll stay with him, go help Kronos,” said Shia, sitting beside Caleb. The monster let out another screeching yelp as Kronos chopped off another leg.

“Aim for the eyes!” said Tyre, lunging at the beast with his rapier.

Not far from the brawl, a woman pulled her dishes from the stream. Grabbing her staff, she ran toward Caleb and Shia.

“Come with me,” said the woman, helping Shia lift Caleb. The eight-legged brute, now stumbling on its two legs, lets out a final screech and borrowed itself into the ground, leaving as swiftly as it had appeared.

“Who are you?” asked Tyre, sheathing his sword.

“They call me Calypso,” said the woman, pouring chopped leaves into a bowl of boiling water.

“Okay, Calypso, why are you here, so far from anyone else?” asked Tyre, sitting down.

“I keep to myself,” she replied,” where I can work on my magic in privacy.”

“Magic? I thought only the elders could learn magic,” exclaimed Shia, taking the cup from Calypso.

“Ignorance, magic is much more widely used than you think,” said Calypso,” why do you think the gods gave it to us? To waste?”

“No, it’s just where we are from, magic isn’t taught to kids,” said Shia, taking a sip. Calypso poured some of the broth down Caleb’s mouth.

“Remedies, my child,” said Calypso,” a sip of this should make him feel better.”

Darkness settled over Barton town as day creeped to night. All the citizens have settled for the night and the town is quiet. Not far from Alyx and Lin’s farm, a black mist started swarm and ebb into a figure resembling a person. The figure, seemingly separate from time itself, floated above the ground as a blue flame flicked to life around its chest. The masked silhouette began to move toward the house silently.

“Hey, don’t stay up too late, you two,” said Troy, Alyx and Lin’s father,” you know we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow.” Troy was a single father since his wife had been found stabbed by a group of bandits. His young face constantly carried an aged expression of both guilt and remorse for her death.

“We know,” said Lin, turning a page in her book, half ignoring him.

“Okay, well I am off to bed, you guys should follow soon,” said their father.

“Night, pop,” said Alyx, walking out of the kitchen. Outside, the tall apparition hovered outside the window. Pressing a hidden button on his wrist, a small box drops from his shoulder. Slowly, the box grew four tendrils of legs and climbed through a small hole in the wall. Slowly, the mist that created the figure started to dissipate, leaving no trace that anyone, or anything, had been there.

“Well, you have been living here a while,” said Tyre, changing the subject,” have you any idea what that thing that attacked us was?”

“It wasn’t of man, if that’s what you are asking,” replied Calypso. Caleb slowly stood up from the couch he was resting on.

Groggily, he asked,” did you guys kill it?”

“We aren’t sure,” said Shia, inspecting him,” we do know that we definitely wounded it.”

“Rest as long as you need to,” said Calypso,” I foresee grave danger ahead, and you will need your strength.”

10,600 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
intresting o.0

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
tacos rule2