Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Hi, I was just wondering how fast everyone's Internet connections are. You should go to speedtest.net to test the speed of your Internet. Then post it up, and people can compare speeds. You can see mine below.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
1. The main C&T board is for technical help threads only
2. Internet speed ≠ Computer's speed
3. I believe there is already a thread for this in Tech-Talk, somewhere

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
That was a fatal flaw... but your computer speed may have something to do with your internet speed, because, lets say, your computer has only a little RAM, but a fast internet connection, and good ISP, the person could still have slow internet. And I will change the topic right now. I'm not sure if this is already there though. Link?

Sparkly Lunatic

Hmm, good down speeds for me tonight neutral

also, net speed has precisely nothing to do with computer speed.

That's on a brand new mac book pro.

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
trezoid

Is your internet normally like that? neutral

Sparkly Lunatic

XSleepless
trezoid

Is your internet normally like that? neutral

or slower.

I meant it when I said download was pretty quick tonight.
I highly doubt the accuracy of this download speed. It was hovering around 4 or 5 Mbps then jumped up at the last second.

I'm paying for 15.5 times that. I normally get it, too. Must be heavy load on the system at the moment. Upload's about normal, though. Kinda amuses me I have better upload speeds than trezoid has download. XD
Nothing special
XSleepless
That was a fatal flaw... but your computer speed may have something to do with your internet speed, because, lets say, your computer has only a little RAM, but a fast internet connection, and good ISP, the person could still have slow internet.
That's not really how it works. You can have a very, very slow computer with very, very little RAM, and you can still handle 100mbit traffic with ease. Case in point, the ARM-based Gumstix Verdex has a 100mbit network adapter, and it gets good performance despite the fact that it's a 400MHz ARM CPU with 128MB RAM. That's also ignoring the fact that cell phones like the iPhone and most Android phones have comparable, if not slower, ARM CPUs and even less RAM (less than 32MB on some models) and they still get very good network performance on Wi-Fi and 3G.

Your computer has very little to do with network throughput. It has more to do with latency, which SpeedTest doesn't measure.
XSleepless
And I will change the topic right now. I'm not sure if this is already there though. Link?
We've had this kind of thread at least half a dozen times in the last 3 years. A not-so-simple Google search brings up a few of those threads.

6,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
You win xd . Actually, I believe latency might be calculated in the speed test during it.

10,950 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1003109963.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1003115166.png

interesting, a server closer to my house has a higher ping but faster speed than a server further away from my house with lower ping but slower speeds
Pah.... Yea right.
Average of 200KBs download.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas