Welcome to Gaia! ::

This thread is meant to give people a place to post their preferences when it comes to web browsers and to create a place to discuss different web browsers in general:

1. What desktop and mobile browser(s) do you use and why do you like using it(them) over others?

2. If any, what add-ons or extensions do you use with your browser?

3. What other browsers have you used?

*Updated 8/19/2011*
I use the beta channel release of Firefox as my browser of choice on my laptop and my preference comes from being a longtime Firefox user (since version 2) in-conjunction with being a fan of the new (post FF3) interface and the huge extension catalog... My secondary browser is the canary build of Chrome and I use it every now and then for browsing outside of Firefox as well as for checking out the latest features Google's adding and it's lightning fast speed... On my iPad I'm presently using Safari since Atomic isn't running correctly under the current iOS 5 beta and the only real difference between the two is greater speed vs adblocking capabilities

Firefox Add-ons
Adblock Plus
Download Statusbar
Stylish
Scriptish
Better Gmail 2
Add-on Compatibility Reporter
Chrome Extensions
Adblock
Chrome for a Cause

I've used IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, AOL & Konqueror

*Updated 8/19/2011*
Firefox because i love some particular Add-ons and the availability of so many, along with Greasemonkey , and Chrome because well , it's quick and small , I use it for bloated sites.

Sparkly Lunatic

Gin Fushicho
Firefox because i love some particular Add-ons and the availability of so many, along with Greasemonkey , and Chrome because well , it's quick and small , I use it for bloated sites.
Pretty much this to the letter, with the addition of Stylish, and as much as quite a few people hate on Firebug, it does EXACTLY what I need with minimum fuss.
I'm trying out Chrome/Chromium for primary use on Linux today. So far the only behaviors I dislike is the way searching is performed in the address bar (not as versitile as Firefox), and the lack of a conventional bookmarks menu or bar.
nightfly19
I'm trying out Chrome/Chromium for primary use on Linux today. So far the only behaviors I dislike is the way searching is performed in the address bar (not as versitile as Firefox), and the lack of a conventional bookmarks menu or bar.
Click the wrench and hit always show bookmark bar for a conventional bookmark bar
PacJack360
nightfly19
Click the wrench and hit always show bookmark bar for a conventional bookmark bar

I'm apparently blind, thank you.

Shameless Enabler

I use Chrome. I used Firefox for years, even on OS X, but I gave Chrome a chance and never really went back. It's fast, it's purdy, and I can have it running for days without it slowly devouring my RAM like Firefox used to.

The only extension I use is FlashBlock.

7,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Used Firefox for years now google chrome cause more web dev friendly, plus easy for make extensions.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Firefox for it's spell checking function (yes there are certain words that I can't spell without that or a dictionary) and it loads pages faster than IE, the latter could be to do with Adblock Plus.
I use Firefox.
The main/ major reasons being because it has:
    Adblock
    Firebug
    Web Developer Toolbar
    tektek Toolbar
    Spell check

There are other various reasons, but those are the key ones which have kept me with it. Couldn't pry mah' Foxxy browser from my cold, dead hands-- cuz' I'd go zombie on ya'.

Oh-- and it has the most awesome name for a browser ever.
On my computer I use Firefox. Until three years ago I used IE, but only because I hated Firefox's design (Looked to... gray and bleak) but then I manned the ******** up and gave Firefox a try. I was pleasantly surprised with it's speed and spent 6 months convincing everyone else to upgrade to Firefox.

Then I tried Chrome, and I wanted to ditch Firefox soooo bad. I even escaped for a while but... SkipScreen, GreaseMonkey, DownThemAll!... it was too much, I had to go back...

I upgraded my mothers PC to Windows 7 a couple weeks ago and installed Chrome on it (about to do the same to my sister) because they don't use addons.

On a side note, I finally got my mother to ditch Outlook and join Thunderbird. It was because her Outlook crashed, and it automatically deleted her e-mails as it fetches them, so when it crashes she looses important work info.

Shameless Enabler

Garethp
On my computer I use Firefox. Until three years ago I used IE, but only because I hated Firefox's design (Looked to... gray and bleak) but then I manned the ******** up and gave Firefox a try. I was pleasantly surprised with it's speed and spent 6 months convincing everyone else to upgrade to Firefox.

Then I tried Chrome, and I wanted to ditch Firefox soooo bad. I even escaped for a while but... SkipScreen, GreaseMonkey, DownThemAll!... it was too much, I had to go back...

I upgraded my mothers PC to Windows 7 a couple weeks ago and installed Chrome on it (about to do the same to my sister) because they don't use addons.

On a side note, I finally got my mother to ditch Outlook and join Thunderbird. It was because her Outlook crashed, and it automatically deleted her e-mails as it fetches them, so when it crashes she looses important work info.
Thunderbird isn't much better for crashes. Chrome has extensions enabled again, though I haven't delved too deeply into whats on offer,and I don't think there's a Greasemonkey equivalent just yet.
Lanackse-Kanvae
Firefox for it's spell checking function (yes there are certain words that I can't spell without that or a dictionary) and it loads pages faster than IE, the latter could be to do with Adblock Plus.

It also doesn't catch "it's" vs. "its", clearly.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Rayquazza
Lanackse-Kanvae

It also doesn't catch "it's" vs. "its", clearly.

That would be a grammar check and a slightly different matter. It's usually spelling words like "diarrhoea" that stump me more the the "it's" and "its" dilemma or the "there", "they're" and "their" situation.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff