Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you a fan of The God of Discord Tezzy (AKA Ryiel)

Of course. You're like... the best. 0.11074918566775 11.1% [ 34 ]
I'm so in love with you... 0.087947882736156 8.8% [ 27 ]
I'm fan enough to join your army to take over gaia! 0.087947882736156 8.8% [ 27 ]
I bow and worship Tezzy! 0.029315960912052 2.9% [ 9 ]
No, cuz I'm retarded lololol 0.019543973941368 2.0% [ 6 ]
NO! I HATE YOU! 0.045602605863192 4.6% [ 14 ]
No, cuz you're a superfreak! SUPERFREAK! 0.09771986970684 9.8% [ 30 ]
I dunno 0.52117263843648 52.1% [ 160 ]
Total Votes:[ 307 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 425 426 427 > >> >>> »|

User Image

Alright, we here at the FrankenThread are here to help everyone begin their stories. 2 things: One, we don't do contest stories here, because that is cheating. And two: I don't like fanfiction, so you'll probably get no help if you ask (but you are allowed to)
Now, for the sake of everyone, there will be a few rules:

1) Anyone who breaks these will receive an official slap across the face by anyone who deems it necessary. Anyone who says/does anything stupid here will receive a slap across the face as well. AKA THE SLAP OF DOOM!!!
2) Do NOT post the story here. If you do, then you shouldn't even be here, because you've already started. I'm certain someone out there will benefit from this. Since there are just so many stupid people If you simply must, then leave a link to somewhere else (another thread, fictionpress, etc.)
3) Please for the love of whatever deity you choose to worship (or your mother if you are atheist) DON'T just ask for help. Anyone who says "I need help for my beginning too" will need to refer to rule #1.
4) Give a short (yet somewhat descript) summary of your plot. I'm not giving any limit, but obviously I don't want it extremely long. We will need more than a simple overall "boy meets girl and saves world" plot. We want a semi-beginning idea (we are here to help with scenes really), a few middle plot points, and a general direction it's going in.
5) Give us a short (and I mean short) bio on the major characters (and I mean major. If I get "well he's the 7/11 clerk behind the desk the one time my character goes in there," refer to rule #1.) It can be a simple paragraph, or a short character spreadsheet with only vital information. Their favorite food, dress, etc. will annoy me (and cause a Rule #1 reaction.) Either way, we need to know if they are the protagonist or antagonist or just a supporting character that you want to start the story with. EDIT: I made a mistake when I said short. Short does not mean what they do for an occupation or useless abilities, so I'm going to give you a character spreadsheet to fill out for the major characters in hopes that this will help out.
Quote:
Name:
Good character traits:
Bad character traits:
Personality traits:
Abilities/race:
Any weakness that is important:
Role in the story:
Appearance: (only if it's going to help us. If there isn't something about his appearance that is important, skip this)
Other important details: (key word: Important)

(If you have ideas for something else important please post it and I will put it here. I don't use spread sheets, so I'm not very good with them)
5) Tell us what the stories setting is. If you don't, please read rule #1 It's just not helpful. If you are set in a suburb of California and we don't know that, one could reply "Have him meet the King." We will need the type of world, whether there is magic or not. If they are extremely bound by culture or not (and if so what culture.) If the landscape affects the peoples lives drastically (freezing cold, mountainous, etc.) Essentially, give more information. Skimpy details are impossible to decode. But keep it rather short, so determine what is important.
6) Anyone can reply here this isn't an "Ask Ryiel" thread. But I must ask, be kind yet helpful. We aren't here to say how stupid someones idea is, just to help them start.
7) I'm sure I'll add more, or change something, so be prepared

Mrs. Teach
GIVE ME MORE OF THE PLOT! I can't help you if I don't know what's supposed to happen.

I'm making three requests:
1) Please give help, whether in general and just "I do this" or more specific to a person and actually telling them what you think they should do.
2)Please DO NOT BUMP! If your post has no purpose, you will instantly receive a SLAP OF DOOM. I don't think this was a rule before, but Mrs. Teach is right... it's annoying so we will do so.
3)If you've received help that actually allows you to begin a story with a BANG! please give us a testimonial. Come back and post what we did, how we helped (basically say this place is wonderful) and then click the thumbs up at the top (cuz I have a dream of making it to sticky-hood and that other thing in the community section where the favorite threads of the day or week are put.
User Image

1) Take a lesson from Shakespeare. He was a firm believer in capturing the attention of the audience. When you have about a thousand people in a theater talking away and you don't have microphones, you have to be damn good to shut the audience up. In Romeo and Juliet, he started by having two groups of people essentially trash talking each other. One bit his thumb at another (the equivalent of flipping the bird nowadays) and then moved on to the plot. Moral: Do something interesting, something that still pertains to the plot, but something interesting. The characters involved could be unimportant. Start with a death, a fight, an emotional passage, a birth, just something that makes people say "Wow, what's next."

2) Though not always advisable, a simple way to go start a story is to do one of three things. Give a preface to the plot. (Example: About war, explain how war started.) Give a history to your character, this will help with characterization and if done right reasoning. Or go through the setting. This would be helpful if you are world creating. It would allow for explanation of the world and how the citizens live there. All of this would make for a much easier job later. (Of course, the trick is to keep the reader interested while you do it.)

3) Though I personally find them quite annoying to work with because they are filled with superfluous information, thing such as Character sheets can easily familiarize you with your story. By taking the time to understand your character, you will be able to understand exactly how they will act in a story. If you want to write short stories involving this character then go ahead. Though I will say I never do this because I've never needed to.

4) ORGANIZE VIA AN OUTLINE. Right, I'm getting the twitching eye look currently, but I'm serious. Sure, outlines are boring, but with that idea you can easily see where the story is going in detail, and from those detials choose something (Motifs, themes, explaining something,etc.) to begin your story. This may not always work, but who knows.

Helpful tips from other users (who aren't on page 1) They are in no order of importance.

LilacKyuubi
I find writing from the middle of the story kills the flow for when you go back to write the first part. However, I also feel if there is no motivation for the beginning, then the whole story will collapse. Does that make any sense?

In other words, consult your muse (mine deserted me a while back...)

Glisandra
My biggest problem with beginnings has always been actually starting anything. So here's what I do now: I simply don't write a beginning. I skip it and begin with the plot that I already know. Then, when I finish (or at least am more comfortable with the characters), I go back and create a beginning... because obviously the beginning is so important. biggrin
Of course, if you're planning on showing your work to anyone before it's finished, this might not work very well for you.

A good strategy for a lot of people who find that beginnings are difficult, the only thing I suggest is using this time to think about how everything you write could be used for a beginning. (I'm talking about motifs, themes, repetition, explanation, etc.)

A-N-A
If there is a part of your story that you really want to write down, Aka a fight or death. Write that first and then go ahead and write the reast after that or go back to the beginning.

I agree that this could be a brilliant way to get ideas. Not only does it allow you to start writing, but you can familiarize yourself with the characters and setting as well.

-L A D Y S I-
To start a story, I usually start with a vague description of the setting and the mood of the area. Then I introduce the main character(s). Sometimes this is action packed and sometimes its calm. Its really just to get started and often I go back and edit it a bit so its more interesting. Basically, I do what Majkai said: I just sit down and write and worry about making it better later after I've started it.

BTW: This is what I do, due to my need for chronology.

Senari1 (AKA Mrs. Teach)
I find that asking questions is the best way to get answers.

Basically ask who, what, where, when, WHY, and how.

Samira Roseblood
As far as Character sketches go I took a course in creative writing in college last semester, a course in short fiction and memoir this semester, and am going on for a BA in writing; One suggestion one of my professors suggested is to make sure your character has something he/she/it desires. Another suggestion is if your stuck put your character into a vehicle and make them go somewhere or write about food. Also as a great writer (I can't spell his name and I'm not sure exactly what the wording is) once said there should be nothing in your story that does not advance action or reveal character.

Though I disagree only slightly with that last statement. I believe everything should have a purpose, but that purpose could be simply to have the audience connect with a character (without actually giving information on the character) or it could simply be used for creating a sense of realism. BUT! There should (and I'm changing it to MUST!) be a reason for everything.

red and white flower
random idea to anyone out there: Go to quizilla.com or some other quiz site and take quizzes on personality or character or even writing. This always gets me pumped up and excited, and then I just pull some ideas out of my results.

I'm telling you, quizzes get you writing

While strange, if it works go for it.

partypunkgirl
what i do is write profiles on my character so i know a little about them before i start. then once i know my characters are like-like what their personality tends to be, what they like, and how their background behind their behavior, etc.-then i can get started. but usually what i suggest to people is to write the ending first.

Penden
I like this article about beginnings:

Sci-Fi beginning article

Very interesting article, I added the link to help you all. Still, kiss up to the mod assisstant, tell her how great this thread is and how much help we've given, and how great it would be if this thread was a sticky... so that I can be the proud God of a stickied thread... and then Tia could be the proud goddess of a sticky-thread. WOOT! SO KISS UP! KISS WHOEVER'S CHEEKS YOU HAVE TO! (and no, I'm not talking about the face)

These are contest advice, but they are still extremely valuable and should be read. Go CONTEST!!!

ENTRY 1 (2 part)
SiggyChan
ADVICE:
(a) Go with your gut. Unless you have craptastic instincts, this usually works out well. Don't always fall back on logical planning. Instead, ask yourself, "What feels right?"
(b) Play scenarios out in your head. If so-and-so does this, how does that change the plot? How will the other characters react? What if so-and-so doesn't do that? Play with the plot; the plot is your putty.

ENTRY 2 (3 part)
Aeris Merai
Anyway, I personally tend to do a few things when writing: 1) When I get an idea, I write it down, and later put it on an outline, that way I get some sort of sense of time and chronology. I sometimes write chapters out of order, so this helps me stay on track.
2) When you don't feel like writing, don't write. I've seen people that are like "I really want to finish this story and get it over with!" and their beginning is great, but their ending is rushed without a lot of description. I find that when I'm not in the mood to write, I don't write as well. The same things goes for if I'm craving a certain type of scene (Fighting, kissing, whatever), I do that scene and it comes out very well.
3) I make short profiles about my characters (very basic) including personality, name, and appearance, along with a relative age, and as I write, I fill in the profile and tweak it. I've even changed names to ones completely different. The characters change just like your writing styles and ideas.
User Image

Advice Contest. 20 people will offer up to 3 pieces of advice each, when all 20 are done, the judges will... judge. Best advice for beginning or ending (the ending guide will house the advice pertaining to an ending) wins. That simple. 5000 gold to the winner.
1) It ends when 20 people enter, no sooner or later.

I'd say that's enough, but we'll just do this too, some rules:
1) I will allow multiple attempts. If you have three good ideas, then post all three, I'll take the BEST one. In other words, I'm taking twenty people, not twenty ideas. But I will limit the number ideas I'll take from one person to three. Otherwise others won't have a fair chance.
2) Please, no cursing
3) The winner will be chosen by Captain and Teach. No one else. Nobody can sway our decision (at least Teach's, line my pockets and I might let you win... course I can't see how that helps you in the long run) So yes, no arguing. I don't care if your friend/your mother/your god thinks your idea is the best, this is MY contest, so MY rules.
4) You must follow all of the thread rules or I'll disqualify you (And keep your tips)
5) Don't repeat previous entries/ideas (or I'll tell you to change your entry)
6) Do use good grammar/spelling, if I don't understand you, you'll fail right away
7) Do understand, I don't speak netspeak/chattalk, or any of that crap, so if you use this and I can't figure it out, not only will I not let you win, but I'll remove you from the contest, keep any entry fee, and give you a SLAP OF DOOM!
8 ) No refunds... sorry
9) I reserve the right to change these rules and any time (probably sooner rather than later)

There is an entry fee of 50 gold that must be paid to Prince Yorae (my mule) if you wish to enter. All gold goes to the prize pot, and the prize money is set in place (unless someone donates money to it, in which case it will go up.) This contest is easy and simple, so I don't think it deserves much more gold than that, but more importantly: Please give good help. It will benifit this and the ending guide more than you know.

And finally breaking any rule but number 7 will result in the SLAP OF FAILURE! It's a lesser slap, not as powerful as the SLAP OF DOOM! But it is still a formidable slap and painful too. Please don't break the rules. Thank you, have fun, enter the contest, don't forget the entry fee, enjoy.

User Image

THREAD GODS! (We are in charge. We've been here the longest and helped out the most. Essentially we are like the Captain and Vice Captains of a guild. We can change stuff at our discretion, and ban you from the thread at our discretion. We each wield a powerful punishment weapon, don't get hit by it.)

--Ryiel (Me, and you will call me Tezzy, or tezcotlipoca... yeah, I thought you'd like Tezzy better)
--Senari1 (Teach, and you will call her Tia or Tiamat. The dragon goddess of chaos)

DEMI-GODS! (These are important. They help out a lot, have come back often to ensure everything is going well and are my trusted aids. Don't disrespect them, they are the crew of my thread. They can tell me to put you on a banned list. I've never needed a ban list, and I don't want one, but I will use one if necessary. Don't anger them.)

--Astrid-57 ( Freya, the goddess of cats)
--Hellenistic (Ganesha, god of squirrels)
--Strawberriekey (Narco, goddess of Nightmares)
--Shalaal (Crow, god of Black Fire)

MORTAL DENIZENS! (These are people who find the thread so fun (or helpful... mainly helpful) that they return several times. While they are not in any way in charge, they are generally good rule followers, will possibly help you, have offered great advice (or not) and probably should be listened to. They are like thread regulars, they know the rules. If they tell you to fix something, you should do it, so that I don't see it. Make sense?)

--SiggyChan (Nature)
--Moyayuki (Aka Star)
--Oni Akai
--Reinna Asteral
--Karaiya
--Aeris Merai (needs a nickname)

Alright, anyone else is simply a mortal asking for help at our lovely... shrine? Anyway, I'm also going to include a special thanks area here.

Special thanks to Senari1 for being so amazing and helping out.
Special thanks to Aeris Merai for the aid with the character spreadsheet
A not so special but still somewhat special thanks to all those who offered advice (regardless of the contest)

User Image

Do you think this will be helpful to anyone?
It will help with all the threads asking the same question==== 47.1%====> [ 64 ]
Sure, anyone who needs this answered will be able to====== 47.1%====> [ 64 ]
What? Why would we need this?===================== 2.9%=====> [ 4 ]
No, it's just as bad=============================== 2.9%=====> [ 4 ]
Total Votes: 136

I officially hate everyone who chose the last one, and wonder about the sanity of the four people who chose the third.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have you read the rules?
Yes, and will obey them completely=============================17.6%====>[ 65 ]
Yes, I fear the wrath of the SLAP OF DOOM=======================23.8%====>[ 88 ]
Rules? Okay, going to read right now...===========================19.5%====>[ 72 ]
I hate rules, I'm outta here *I glare at you evilly* =====================4.6%====>[ 17 ]
Rules? Whatever, I'm don't care *posts* (I prepare the SLAP OF DOOM*)===8.4%====>[ 31 ]
Goldz/Poll whore option=======================================20.9%===>[ 77 ]
I will obey your every whim Master Ryiel (and Lady Teach)==============5.1%====>[ 19 ]
Total Votes: 369

Okay: 19 people on the last choice: THAT'S RIGHT, GROVEL AT OUR FEET MWAHAHAHAHAHA, okay no, seriously, I'm glad you like us that much.
The 65 people on the first choice, good job.
The 88 people in the second one, and the 72 people in the third one, that's right, read them.
The 17 in the fourth choice: Good riddance. Off with you!
The 31 in that fifth one: SLAP OF DOOM!!!
And those poll whores... how sad.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How do you like your beginnings?
The beginning should be quick. Slam it onto the page and catch my attention real fast=============28.4%=====>[322]
I like my beginnings to be a little... dirty. A few sex jokes, a little dirty scenes and I'm hooked=========2.9%=====>[33]
Please! Explain the setting and stuff. I can't take it when I don't understand things================14.6%=====>[165]
Are you kidding, jump right in. If I'm confused I have more reason to read: to figure out what's going on==21.9%=====>[248]
In Medias Res (in the middle of things, so that you have to go back and explain)==================10.9%=====>[124]
I like my beginnings to be a little slow, and then pick up later on=============================10.1%=====>[114]
Gimme the goldz (why the Z?)/poll whore option==========================================6.7%=====>[76]
You missed how I like it: (note the colon, that means you should post it somewhere to help me out)=====4.5%=====>[51]
Total Votes: 1133

User Image

Since I'm certain that some people could be afraid that we will steal there work, or even worse, we won't help out at all and make things terrible for you, I've decided that anyone who receives help and it works SHOULD post something about how great this thread is (or just PM me.) I'm not able to give out prizes or anything, but think of it this way: We helped you get your story started or organized, the least you could do is help us out by giving this thread a testimonial (and then clicking the button up top that's a thumbs up) Anyway, if you do either, you will be loved for eternity.
Here goes:

Drew Thirte3n
I just wanted to drop in and see how things were going. I honestly can't believe I'm on the first page of this thread... it's come so far.
n_____n
Good job, guys!

Oh, and just as a sort of throwback, you've really helped me with my story. The beginning is still a little off-kilter, but I'm going somewhere, which is more than I can say for the first eight months I had the idea for it in mind.
<3

Rain0209

Thanks for making this thread. I don't know if this is breaking the rules of not, since I read them but was unable to fully comprehend them due to the length (haha sorry), but it really helped me. I've been a writer since I was very, very little, and now I'm taking it seriously. I've got an idea, now I just need to know how to start putting it down. Once I put it down, however, I can't stop. So thanks again.

P.S. Expect me back. ahaha X]

Angel Of The Defiant
DEAR LOVELY, SEXY, GOD-SENT THREAD,

I love you! biggrin I want to marry you and have your babies. (Or maybe I just want to be shown with the other appreciation notes in the first post.) Ahem. You guys were very helpful and you helped me begin a short story I've been procrastinating for...about a month. XD Also writing the out line and making me thing of positive and negative traits will not only help me in this current work but in many more to come. I probably will be back here groveling at the feet of Ryiel and all of the others since theres been a muse shortage and I too have been a victim.

But to anyone whos reading this really, if you need help don't be shy about it.

Mia!

XxDreamBigxX
To Captain.

Thank you so much for the help you gave me (although, looking back, I realize I should have thought of that... But doesn't that just explain life?) I'll admit that I have yet to fully write anything, though I have gone back to look at the death of the character that I already had to see what I had planned then. But, by having my beginning idea, I have been able to solidify my time line I have for the story. Which, I knew would take me a long time, because I really want to finish this story, since I want to write the one after this one.

I have a better chance of finishing a story that is better planned, and so, I thank you so much for giving me a beginning idea so I could plan. If I hadn't of gotten your help, I probably would have just started, not planned, and thus not finished. I have a better chance of getting to the story I really wanted to write now, thanks to you guys. My heroes!

SiggyChan
'm just popping in to let you know that the story is progressing fairly well. Thanks so much for the continual advice!

very merry unbirthday
This thread is the best(:
Thanks alot.

Other Threads By Ryiel:
The "I need help with the ending" Guide [Gasp]
A thread with the expressed intent opposite of this one. If you've already nearly finished, you probably want to come here (assuming you need help) because, let's face it, we're experts (and by we, I mean me, the combined front of the God of Discord and the God of Truth, however impossible that may seem)
Let's Bring a Little Culture to this Place [A Guide]
We realize that there are others, but we wanted a nice, comprehensive guide about a very complex structure and element of the fantasy realm. Click if you want help with your culture.
Finally, I've killed Mary-Sue *Hooray!*
Because we are sick and tired of mary-sue threads that don't adress the real problem: SETTING.
The One Rule of Writing to Rule Them All
A thread about the totality of writing being FAR more important than any single aspect or any single "rule/guideline" you may think you HAVE to follow.
Where do you get your inspiration!??!!one?!1?!eleven!1
Because inspiration is not only useless in the long run, but not a part of the actual writing, and thus should not be posted in this forum.

Affiliated threads of helpfulness: (upon request or my volition)
"NEW STORY IDEA! Comments Plz." An Idea Feedback Thread By Ophuicha
Because if you are past getting ideas, but not quite at beginning ideas, you need to critique and go over your ideas. Between the Think Tank and FrankenThread is: THE LINK ABOVE! *gasp*

2,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
*Raises hand.* Oh oh oh! I have some advice!

When trying to decide where to start, one should look at their overall plot. What events are important to the story? When does all the action start? Can some things be referenced later or do they have to be out there first?

You don't want to start a story about someone's mystical journey to fetch some mystical item that they were randomly selected to undertake with their childhood. Unless, of course, they weren't selected randomly and something in their childhood was the reason why they were selected. However, even then, their childhood can be referenced later when they find out why they were selected. This sort of example would only need to start *le gasp* at the beginning of the journey!

*Blink.* Ugh, I'm tired and I hope that made sense.

Edit: I also wanted to add on a thank you, Ryiel. I have also noticed the random surge in "how do I start" posts.
You receive a hug for being th first poster. (other than me)

(>0.0)>

I'm glad someone else saw the same problem.

2,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
Ryiel
You receive a hug for being th first poster. (other than me)

(>0.0)>

I'm glad someone else saw the same problem.

Yay! I got a hug!

Anyway, I was starting to wonder what was going on. It seems like the seasons are changing, on my end anyway, and with the new season everyone has decided to start that story they wanted to write.

Oh! Another piece of advice that just smacked me in the head. If one is having an extremely difficult time coming up with a good place to start, then don't start at the beginning. Write the middle and the end. Sometimes when the middle and end are fashioned and ready to go, the beginning can come easier.
I think this will help a lot with the repeat threads, and just overall. Could you help me with mine?

Plot...
In a nutshell, the story follows a group of two kinds of people who basically act as bodyguards to other people. The first kind of person is, in essence, a guardian angel, and anyone they protect are generally unaware of it. The other kind is a living human who has slightly enhanced reflexes and so on. They people they protect are aware of it. The country/county/whatever is also split into people who support these 'bodyguards' and those who don't-- and both of them want to control the angels for themselves as greedy humans do. The opposed group sets to work on making a poison which would render the angels visible and pull them to the living plane, while the group for the angels try and do the same thing through ritualistic uses of urns and ashes and so on. They begin to find bodies of their associates as the story progresses. Glossing over some smaller events, what happens eventually is the group of 'bodyguards' gets raided by these two groups and separated, forcing them to protect themselves instead of others. Their built in instinct to save people makes this incredibly difficult.

I'm not entirely sure where the plot is going to go in the end, but I have a fair idea.

Main characters...
There are four main characters, one of whom doubles as the main antagonist.

Aderyn is one of the angels. He is maliciously forgetful-- as in, he tends to conventiently 'forget' to help the person he's watching over unless it's honestly life-threatening. He isn't antisocial so much as reluctant to talk to those he thinks are below his standard, and even then he will grudgingly engage in sarcastic conversation.

Blythe is another angel. She is professional but really quite emotionally extroverted. She and Aderyn are in a sort of odd little relationship, and she quite often tags along when he's protecting someone to pull them out of harm's way when he won't.

Inen is not an angel, but one of the human bodyguards. He is very emotionally extroverted. A little after the beginning of the story and just prior to the raid, he is captured and tortured to death in the hope he will reveal information on the group. The process of being resurrected as an angel serves to scar him emotionally for the remainder of his afterlife.

Jeremy is the human that Inen protected. He is a bookish young man and is apparently completely pro-angel. He gets dragged off with Inen, Aderyn, and Blythe after the raid and begins to learn more about them. He plays both sides of the field-- discretely offering information to both the pro- and anti-angel groups for money.

So... the problem I have here is that I don't have any clue where to actually start this book. I've got such a complete idea of what will happen mapped out in my head, but I can't think of where to begin. Help?
I wish someone stupid would show up so I could slap them across the face. Oh well.
People should also consider what's pertinent to the story and what could just be considered filler, or just take them into a whole other direction. If your character starts out wishing he was a knight, he shouldn't start a quest for a magical dragon egg that will make him a vampire or something. Random idea.
Drew Thirte3n
I think this will help a lot with the repeat threads, and just overall. Could you help me with mine?

Plot...
In a nutshell, the story follows a group of two kinds of people who basically act as bodyguards to other people. The first kind of person is, in essence, a guardian angel, and anyone they protect are generally unaware of it. The other kind is a living human who has slightly enhanced reflexes and so on. They people they protect are aware of it. The country/county/whatever is also split into people who support these 'bodyguards' and those who don't-- and both of them want to control the angels for themselves as greedy humans do. The opposed group sets to work on making a poison which would render the angels visible and pull them to the living plane, while the group for the angels try and do the same thing through ritualistic uses of urns and ashes and so on. They begin to find bodies of their associates as the story progresses. Glossing over some smaller events, what happens eventually is the group of 'bodyguards' gets raided by these two groups and separated, forcing them to protect themselves instead of others. Their built in instinct to save people makes this incredibly difficult.

I'm not entirely sure where the plot is going to go in the end, but I have a fair idea.

Main characters...
There are four main characters, one of whom doubles as the main antagonist.

Aderyn is one of the angels. He is maliciously forgetful-- as in, he tends to conventiently 'forget' to help the person he's watching over unless it's honestly life-threatening. He isn't antisocial so much as reluctant to talk to those he thinks are below his standard, and even then he will grudgingly engage in sarcastic conversation.

Blythe is another angel. She is professional but really quite emotionally extroverted. She and Aderyn are in a sort of odd little relationship, and she quite often tags along when he's protecting someone to pull them out of harm's way when he won't.

Inen is not an angel, but one of the human bodyguards. He is very emotionally extroverted. A little after the beginning of the story and just prior to the raid, he is captured and tortured to death in the hope he will reveal information on the group. The process of being resurrected as an angel serves to scar him emotionally for the remainder of his afterlife.

Jeremy is the human that Inen protected. He is a bookish young man and is apparently completely pro-angel. He gets dragged off with Inen, Aderyn, and Blythe after the raid and begins to learn more about them. He plays both sides of the field-- discretely offering information to both the pro- and anti-angel groups for money.

So... the problem I have here is that I don't have any clue where to actually start this book. I've got such a complete idea of what will happen mapped out in my head, but I can't think of where to begin. Help?

I can think of two ways to help.

1) Have Blythe ( I like that name) saves someone when Aderyn doesn't and then maybe (if it's in her character) reprimand him, then he retort with a casual nonchalant response (if that's in his character)
2) I like this one best, have Inen and Jeremy get attacked and Inen captured right away. Start out this way, and then you can drop it for a couple of chapters. Then come back to him being tortured and ressurected.
3) Do both, start with Inen, then Blythe, then back to Inen (or just start with blythe and then move to Inen.

In the process of him being captured, try to explain what's going on. I have to say, I honestly haven't seen a stroyline like this ever, so congrats on being original (At least to me)

Sorry if this is vague or doesn't make sense. It's near 2 here, so I'm super tired. *yawns*

Edit: *Slaps himself for being unable to count.* I said two, then meant three.
Kahahana
I wish someone stupid would show up so I could slap them across the face. Oh well.
People should also consider what's pertinent to the story and what could just be considered filler, or just take them into a whole other direction. If your character starts out wishing he was a knight, he shouldn't start a quest for a magical dragon egg that will make him a vampire or something. Random idea.

Don't worry, they'll come.

I have an idea! How about we go around slapping people in the face if they post anything that says "Help me with my beginning" while this is still on the first page. Then we can bump (just mask it so know one knows) so that it stays on the front page. Then we can slap people silly. Woohoo.
@w@ Thank you so much for those suggestions, Ryiel! I really appreciate them and I think I will implement your second suggestion. Also... you've really flattered me on this, which I also obviously appreciate. <3~

Mind if I stick around?
When Starting. Give as Much information about the Character as you feel you can. Careful not to give too much info. You could leave some peices out of the story, and let the reader figure Some of the plot for themselves. This leaves them Wondering and Wanting to Read More.

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
This thread is pretty cool! I would Love help and suggestions with a plot idea I have been formulating on the backburner for quite a bit.

Now, I have a plot that is in a need of a decent beginning.

The story focuses on the primary viewpoints of two siblings, their Aunt and their cousin who seem to be getting odd powers. They aren't sure why, but they think that their powers are linked to the prescription drugs they have. When a malformed person attacks Johnathen and leaves him in the hospital, The character begin to gather enough evidence to suggest that a sinister cult is responsible for these pills. I intend to have a larger cast than this along with telling the viewpoints of some of the cult members, but here are the main characters who are first introduced.

Johnathen, a Teenage bookworm and a aspiring author. He is arrogant, prone to reading Satire and Science fiction books as a hobby and fiercely protective of his little Sister Kelly due to his mother's wild behavior, and hates to see her hurt due to her naive and bashful behavior. He is under the legal guardianship of his aunt Shelly, and he stays with his aunt for the duration of the story. He takes prescription pills due to pain relief from a previous injury sustained from Domestic abuse. His odd power is the ability to create balls of light that are very warm to the touch.

Kelly is a American Anime Fangirl, and a fan of Japanese culture. She is bashful, extremely nervous, has been trying to improve her social skills and is extremely self-conscious. She takes some pills due to suffering from a minor headache, and she is advised to take a local generic brand of drugs. Her odd power is to Shapeshift her body.

Shelly: is a retired K-9 unit officer, currently a PR consultant. She is intelligent, firm, a bit of a smart-a** and wishes that her sister get into a clinic. She is very smart, and hopes to help her Niece and nephew grow up well. She takes pills for a secret reason. Her odd power is to predict the future.

Albert is a well-fed artist. He is a Mute, and always carries a notepad for when he is asked a question. He is pretty smart, and Shelly had adopted him a few months ago due to a desire to help a kid who seemed to need her help. He gets along with his cousins, and likes to draw. His odd power is to create what he draws to life.

The biggest problem is actually picking where to start. (The first few chapters are told at the school that Shelly lives in. Which is Moorhead, Minnesota. They later move to a town called Shepard's falls, and the plot paces faster from there.

The second thing is that I am not sure how many chapters I can do to let the main characters find out their powers before I have to kick myself in my rear and pick up the pace of the story. surprised

Oh yeah, is this too much information? It's only the information explaining their situation, and their general personality)
Mmm, my plot. I need help beginning, and yes, I have attempted to start at the middle and got nowhere. It really is a fantastic plot that I am still fleshing out.

PLOT: Three siblings live in this tribe in my fantasy world. They're basically in an era where tribes and empires co-exist like in the time of ancient Greece. There are two main empires, Tynes and Acteon. Acteon as an empire is unimportant to the story. Tynes however, is. My main characters are twins, Dawn and Valon. My secondary main is their younger sister, Jade. Dawn and Valon betray Jade and sell her to barbarians who are in reality the Tynes Empire.

Now, Jade isn't immediately accepted, and I have an idea of Romeo x Juliet thing happening there. Not too sure yet.

Valon and Dawn however are exiled, or run away, and somehow end up in charge of a small city they've got to make into an ever expanding Empire.

My problem, however, is beginning it.

My Characters -

Dawn: introvert, spontaneous, quiet, free-thinking, proud, learns easily, enjoys having fun.

Valon: proud, strategist, introvert, excellent leader, enjoys fun, learns easily from his mistakes.

Jade: extrovert, likes being centre of attn, also proud, blossoms in social situations and reads emotions very well. A good leader, enjoys being in command.

Where should I begin? I've already decided how I want the first part of the plot to be told. When Jade gets sold to babarians is told throughout the story before each chapter. I just need to know how to begin the thing.
you should just edit into your first post the steps of the most simple and most effective story and novel-starting process as yet developed by humankind:

1. turn on computer.

2. open word.

3. start typing.

works every time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items