Welcome to Gaia! ::

Right?

Yes. 0.52380952380952 52.4% [ 33 ]
No. 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 7 ]
Other. 0.36507936507937 36.5% [ 23 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Yes. All ideas are okay. Unfortunately, ideas don't mean s**t until they've been put to use. So write the story, and then let your peers read it. Take their feedback and apply it.

Now stop asking the WF about every single thought that pops into your head.

Dapper Businesswoman

Cheers! heart
V for Venereal Disease
Yes. All ideas are okay. Unfortunately, ideas don't mean s**t until they've been put to use. So write the story, and then let your peers read it. Take their feedback and apply it.

I guess this is well deserved, but when you think about it, WF is here to discuss and help everyone no matter how little and annoying the problem is..

people just need to share their ideas with others, or just to show or ask/discuss the idea... they look for either positive or negative feedback.. just so they can move forward... or backwards to improve.
HiddenBeliefs
V for Venereal Disease

I guess this is well deserved, but when you think about it, WF is here to discuss and help everyone no matter how little and annoying the problem is..

people just need to share their ideas with others, or just to show or ask/discuss the idea... they look for either positive or negative feedback.. just so they can move forward... or backwards to improve.

What does that have to do with what I said?
V for Venereal Disease
HiddenBeliefs
V for Venereal Disease

if you dont get it theres no point in me explaining it....again
All ideas are not okay. Only all internally consistent ideas are okay. If your idea doesn't make sense even in its own context, it is a shitty idea.
HiddenBeliefs
V for Venereal Disease
HiddenBeliefs
V for Venereal Disease

if you dont get it theres no point in me explaining it....again

No, come on. Explain it for the first time. Explain how the WF's "being here"for discussion and "help" relates to what I've said. How does that statement affect my claim that there's no real help to be had until you've done some actual writing? Are we here to help with writing, or are we here to bandy about ideas that haven't been written and can't be placed into context without being written? How can we "help" someone "move forward" or "improve" when they haven't even started?

Please do explain. I imagine I'd love to hear it. Before writing is involved, it ain't writing.

Axioma: Bullshit, for the following reasons:

1. As an idea does not equate to its material manifestation in the form of writing, as your statement implies, and we are concerned with writing as opposed to some non-writing, your statement cannot be taken as valid for the present circumstances.

2. Your statement implies that all "inconsistent" ideas are bad in all situations; this is fundamentally not true.

3. The implication of your statement suggests that ideas and writing must hold to some statute of "consistency"; this is not the case, however, and is merely a value judgment on your part.

4. "Consistency" and, of actual importance, effectiveness of writing cannot be judged until it's been transformed into actual writing; it simply does not follow that what is "inconsistent" in the abstract will be so in the concrete.

I maintain: Any idea is okay. But no idea is writing.
V for Venereal Disease
No, come on. Explain it for the first time.

If you don't know what she means

then there's no point in her telling you dramallama
PAnZuRiEL
V for Venereal Disease

I IZ RETRDZ ONO gonk
I mean, come on. I'd almost bet money that a mod kills this thread and maybe even bans me by the time I get up in the morning, but I am so very serious it almost hurts.

Write the goddamn story. Write it. Write.

Write, followed by a period.

Consider this, people:

Quote:
I would want the main character to be in a boarding school. So that there isn't parents to much involved with her life and I think adding a cool faculty member as the supporting character with the girl's life. Yes!! My main character is going to be a girl who needs something exciting to happen to her and it does lots of people are involved too but I need to Know if this sounds interesting enough maybe it needs some mystical stuff too.I just want some feed back. I could possibly make the guy mystical in fantisize wise or he could be a yakuza mob prince. (it sounds a little lame now). I'm not really sure how i should start it though. Thats wut sux most. If you guys wanna give any feed backs or ideas I'm open to anything right now.

Lifted directly from a thread. This is the post in its entirety. How could anyone possibly respond to this in a way that is helpful in terms of writing. Now:

1. It's obviously just seeking that anonymous approval kids seem to want, and that has nothing to do with actual writing. That should be enough to prove the point, here.

2. It's entirely abstract, and it sounds pretty retarded, sure. And I know a lot of you kids have developed a system of code for responding to this sort of thing (it sound like x; x is a so-called "cliche idea" ), but that doesn't mean it's actually useful at all. I bet The Count of Monte Cristo sounded like a real ******** stupid project when Dumas first posted it on the Internet. Really: Think about that book in the abstract for a little while. You've gotta see it on paper, kids, before you can analyze it as a piece of writing. That's just the plain and simple. Once it's on paper, you can actually see how it's working. It's writing at that point.

Dapper Businesswoman

I'm trying not to cry out, "Can't we all just get along?" because I'm a bit past that age.

Still, I agree with V in that there should be some actual writing involved, not just, "Hey, I had this awesome idea yesterday evening while in the loo. What do you think?" Every other post is about this: Requests for users to say aye or nay to an idea based on a sentence or two. Most are cliches, involve stereotypes, or are just plain stupid. But, hey, who knows? Maybe the user requesting help is the next Ernest Hemingway or Virginia Woolf. Maybe they're so good any plot idea can sound original coming from them.

The point is, how can we know this for sure when we haven't read anything from that person? Huh? So go write down your ideas already and stop asking if they're good. You can ask me to read yout story and tell you what I think, but that's about something completely different.

Furthermore, I think brainstorming should be done in the privacy of a private chat or through PM with a select number of people, say the ones who are actively supporting your writing. Or maybe on a forum designed especially for this purpose.

-AjaCharlotte
PAnZuRiEL
V for Venereal Disease

Thank you

---

I wouldnt post an Idea on the WF because of what you said, that yes an idea isn't writing and i personally like constructive criticism... something that i can approve on.

But as i said above people like their ideas to be heard, and just to see if their on the right track and if anyone thinks what they have is any good.

Dapper Businesswoman

V for Venereal Disease
I bet The Count of Monte Cristo sounded like a real ******** stupid project when Dumas first posted it on the Internet.

Mrs Dalloway is about a broad hosting a party. And then this guy kills himself.

V for Venereal Disease
I mean, come on. I'd almost bet money that a mod kills this thread and maybe even bans me by the time I get up in the morning, but I am so very serious it almost hurts.

I say we start up a petition to reinstate you already. *grin*

-AjaCharlotte
V for Venereal Disease

I say we start up a petition to reinstate you already. *grin*

-AjaCharlotte

Would they really ban you for something like this?

I gues maybe for bringing in someones idea proabably and saying that it was lame... but i dont know.

Cliches... the fountain of writing, cliches stay the same its the way of writing them that get the readers attention.
It's like this. Suppose I post a story about this girl who goes to highschool, and then a secret government agency recruits her to fight vampires who are plotting to take over America by getting one of them elected as President.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? We can't tell, but there are questions that can be asked.

For an example, why the hell are secret government agencies recruiting highschool girls? And why would highschool girls want to go through the hassle of fighting vampires when it interferes with their daily MTV watching quota?

It's not about good ideas and bad ideas, it's about ideas that make SENSE. A story isn't just one idea (unless it's like 300 words long). Invariably, stories are made of strings of ideas, and it's entirely possible that the configuration you've imagined simply DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, but you can't see that because you're standing too close to it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff