Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did your foot start hurting while reading this?

Yes. 0.23655913978495 23.7% [ 22 ]
No. 0.24731182795699 24.7% [ 23 ]
My eyes hurt from reading this. Does that count? 0.26881720430108 26.9% [ 25 ]
Poll whore! 0.24731182795699 24.7% [ 23 ]
Total Votes:[ 93 ]

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
I've got this character, call him Joe who's got quite a destiny. At exactly 3:58 p.m. tomorrow, Joe will go into the basement of his sheltered suburban home and step on the rusty nail by the water heater and contract tetanus. It's not a pleasant destiny, and while he'll probably live, it's gonna hurt like hell, more than anything Joe's ever been through. And no one ever goes near that water-heater anyway, so why?

This is a question of motivation and destiny.

Oh, he's destined. It will happen. The (completely hypothetical) story says so, the Author says so. But the destiny, for the character, does not take the place of motivation.

Joe either knows about his destiny, or he doesn't.

Say that a homeless prophet grabs Joe by the arm on his way home from school today, and her sandpapery, crazy-cat-lady voice subsides to give way to an angel telling him of his destiny. Well, now Joe knows about his destiny. If he's got even a lick of common sense and a desire to avoid pain, he can stay out of the basement, or at least look underfoot and wear shoes while he's messing with the water-heater. To be even somewhat believable, he needs a reason to go down there. It can be external. His sister's been pissing him off lately, and she's in the shower at that time. The water heater malfunctioning for some reason. Or his mom is telling him to go down there, and her punishments can be worse than the risk of a rusty nail, right through the sole of his foot. It can be internal. Maybe he's the type of guy who when told something bad is going to happen, doesn't believe it. Maybe the Prophet told him that if he steps on this rusty nail and gets Tetanus he's going to cure cancer, or get a million dollars, and Joe wants to believe in destiny. Maybe he just likes pain, or the attention this will get him, without thinking about the actual effects.

If he doesn't know about his destiny, and the basement, down by the water-heater isn't a place he normally goes, why would he just happen to be in a place where a rusty nail will puncture his foot and give him tetanus?

Whatever it is, he needs a reason. It doesn't even have to be a smart one, just one that he can believe in.

Okay...maybe not needs. After all, a contrary wind could blow Joe down to the basement, and the rusty nail could fly towards the bottom of his foot. The point is, without a motive or a reason, it's not really believable that a character would subject themselves to the suffering that inevitably comes with any destiny.

The point is, for all that we authors create and control the characters and their situations, to be a really good piece of fiction, the readers need to at least be able to suspend their disbelief about why Character A, would put him or herself into unpleasant Situation B.

((See, see, my random spam thread did have a point!))
True, what motivates Joe to step on the nail?

What could possibly be of importance that he has to walk into that situation? Could it be that the pilot on the water heater went out and he goes to relight it? Or was he just stupid?

So many questions, really. Maybe he was a victim of what most of us term "fate", it was in some galatic plan that he had to step on the nail. For whatever reasons he steps on the nail, it seems impossible to concoct a plausible scenario other than maybe poor Joe just wasn't thinking....

It sounds like a book I once read, The Short but Happy Life of Mr. Glickha. In said story, the author continues to refer to a moment in Glickha's childhood of a monkey that choked to death on a doorknob before his eyes. Throughout the story, everyone around continues to die and at the end, Glickha is a motorcycle accident in which he sees the monkey holding the door knob before the actual end.

On that cryptic ending note, it made me question the author's motivation as to why Glickha recalls that moment. And why he's even wondering through life at all with all this strange and unconnected tragic events happening.

I don't know. I scratched my head at the end of the book in complete bewilderment, supposedly it's to help inspire writers, but it's a wonder the author was even published to begin with. I'm lost now......... sweatdrop
o_O

Wow. This is all so very deep.
People step on rusty nails on accident all the time.

They don't do it on purpose, not usually.

All in all, stepping on a nail isn't a story, it is an event. It is a plot element. Maybe the pilot light goes out and he needs to relight it. Simple as that. The story is tetanus, cause that's a nasty disease.

And anyway, people generally contract tetanus from outside, because that's where the bacteria live.

But I'm sure that's beside the point.

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
Quote:

People step on rusty nails on accident all the time.

They don't do it on purpose, not usually.

All in all, stepping on a nail isn't a story, it is an event. It is a plot element. Maybe the pilot light goes out and he needs to relight it. Simple as that. The story is tetanus, cause that's a nasty disease.

And anyway, people generally contract tetanus from outside, because that's where the bacteria live.

But I'm sure that's beside the point.

Yep.

The point is, if the big rusty nail (which would hurt tetanus or not) or the like is something easily avoided, then there needs to be a reason why someone would subject themselves to it.
This is unrelated, but I kept trying to access your eljay (since I do post my writing on eljay as well so OF COURSE I was interested), but I kept typing it "ice_day_fics" (clicking on gaialinks = potential keylogging/cookie-grabbin'). And I kept retyping it. And retyping it--

and then I realized it was icy.

me: *facepalm* durrr.

Dapper Smoker

Why would a guy, with his full faculties, step on a nail that will give him tetanus? Because it's his destiny.

Hmmm, destiny is such a misused force. In many stories, it just exists, without explanation. Why is there destiny? Who enforces it? Is there a god? What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

Well, 42, but other than that...

If it were my story, Joe would see the nail and not step on it, then be accosted by time travelers saying, because he didn't step of said nail, he would not contract tetanus, which means that he didn't get his leg amputated, which means that his family didn't have to support him through that process, meaning that his younger sibling didn't gain some perspective about life, which means said younger sibling couldn't use said perspective to avoid becoming the megalomaniacal tyrant du jour of their time, thus giving Hoe the option to knowingly maim himself or live with the purported dystopia to come, knowing he could've stopped it. But that's just me. 3nodding

It depends on what you want this to be. If you want an exploration of the nature of destiny, go crazy with it. If you want a story about a guy contracting tetanus, downplay it or do away with it altogether. Both ways are potentially good. Which one are you destined to pick? razz
Hmm...

Never mind the annoying tendency of most authors to forget that he probably would have had a tetanus shot before then anyway...

But yes, I see what you mean...
Yeh....People are stubborn. If someone tells you not to do something, you automatically want to do it.

So if someone warns Joe not to go there, he'll likely go there because of human nature.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff