Welcome to Gaia! ::

These aren't ranked by importance. They're just ranked by what I thought up first. Rules 1 to 11 are mine (except for rule 4.5), but beyond that I can't take any further credit. I do agree with them however, and will accordingly defend them to the best of my ability.

1.) Force-writing is okay.

2.) Inspiration will not automatically make your story good, nor does every good story need to be inspired.

3.) Talent is not everything.

4.) There will always be a better writer than you.

4.5) There will always be a worse writer than you.

5.) No matter what you may believe, you are not better than the majority of published authors.

6.) The majority of published authors are better than you, at least at selling a product and most likely at writing. That's why they're published.

7.) Your manuscript will not be immediately accepted and published.

8.) It may take years to get your manuscript published, if at all.

9.) It doesn't matter if you're better than most people in your age group.

10.) If you work hard enough and have enough of a passion, the obstacles don't matter. You can do it. Have faith in yourself.

11.) Write anyway.

12.) Unless you make the time to write, you won't get anywhere.

13) Anything can be improved by revision.

14) Sometimes you'll want ego-boosts, and sometimes you'll want honest feedback. Know where to go for both, and don't ever confuse the two.

15) Money flows towards the writer. But not a lot of money.

16.) If you don't feel inspired when you start writing, you can get inspiration by writing. Being disciplined and writing 500 words each day will get you farther than only writing when feeling inspired and writing an average of 2000 a week.

17.) Not everything you write is going to be good, even with revising. Feel free to write badfic, just because. At least you're writing, and that's what matters.

If anyone has any other ideas for realistic writer rules, or wants to tell me how much I suck, post below.
you dont suck at all, but i slightly disagree.

1. force-writing can be dangerous for a story

2.inspiration is where good stories come from.

3.talent is almost everything.

4.there may not be any better writers than you, but pretend there is.

thats all i have to say. but yeah, dont let things get you down. keep writing.

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
The most important factor in being a realistic writer is taking--or making--the time to write. Unless you do that, you're not going to get anywhere.

(...I've been pretty bad about that lately, because of work and school. I am, however, trying to get back in the habit again.)
Athenianmagic

thats all i have to say. but yeah, dont let things get you down. keep writing.

I disagree, but I bet you already knew that from my top post. wink

Inspiration is a finicky creature. If you're always waiting for it, you get dependent. You should be able to write, even force-write, anyway.

Good storytelling is where good stories come from.

Talent is also finicky. If you're talented and do nothing with it, you're worse off than somebody that starts off sucking at English and works their way to the top.

If you want to pretend, go ahead. Even I sometimes do that.
I agree with Rose Ember.
Disgruntled Peony
The most important factor in being a realistic writer is taking--or making--the time to write. Unless you do that, you're not going to get anywhere.

(...I've been pretty bad about that lately, because of work and school. I am, however, trying to get back in the habit again.)

I added that into the rules. I'm not going to be here this weekend so I won't be able to put in everything else that gets posted this weekend, but when I return I will do so.
writing is awesosome now give me some fukcing gold thank you good bye
Athenianmagic

Can we clarify what force-writing is, and why it's good/dangerous for a story?

My take: Forcing a story to go in a direction when the characters and plot are clearly trying to go in another is dangerous for the story -- for example, sticking to an outline even if you get a better idea is bad.

Forcing yourself to sit down and write 2 pages a day, or an hour a day, or a chapter every weekend, isn't bad. There's a danger of writing insipid, plodding, boring prose, but it's a lot less than you think. And even if you realize you just spent an hour writing absolute crap, that's what revision's for! You can *always* make something better.

Quote:

Yes, in the same sense that I came from my mother's womb. But that was only the beginning point -- taking that baby and turning it into a decent human being that other people will enjoy being around takes a LOT of work, much of it unpleasant. (Someone really should extend this metaphor, I'll be interested to see how potty-training fits into it.)

Quote:

Talent makes a person's learning curve easier, but the learning curve still exists.

Quote:

Well, better is largely a subjective term, and people may rate one thing as "better" because of personal preference, but there ARE writers better than me. It's a fact of life.

I'd add to the rules:

14) Sometimes you'll want ego-boosts, and sometimes you'll want honest feedback. Know where to go for both, and don't ever confuse the two.

As both a writer and an artist, I often find it important to take a break and step back from what you're working on every now and then, and work on something else. When you come back later, you may have some new perspectives and it may be easier to pick out mistakes that you didn't notice earlier because you were so bent on finishing.

Honestly, staring at the same thing every time I sit down to write or paint can be mentally exhausting. Sometimes you just need to sleep on it.
Talent is actually pretty important, so is inspiration. If you aren't inspired, what keeps you going? If you don't have talent, how do you expect anyone to even care?

You have to note that there is a definite increase in being GOOD if you have talent and inspiration.
Adversative
Athenianmagic

Can we clarify what force-writing is, and why it's good/dangerous for a story?

My take: Forcing a story to go in a direction when the characters and plot are clearly trying to go in another is dangerous for the story -- for example, sticking to an outline even if you get a better idea is bad.

Forcing yourself to sit down and write 2 pages a day, or an hour a day, or a chapter every weekend, isn't bad. There's a danger of writing insipid, plodding, boring prose, but it's a lot less than you think. And even if you realize you just spent an hour writing absolute crap, that's what revision's for! You can *always* make something better.

Quote:

Yes, in the same sense that I came from my mother's womb. But that was only the beginning point -- taking that baby and turning it into a decent human being that other people will enjoy being around takes a LOT of work, much of it unpleasant. (Someone really should extend this metaphor, I'll be interested to see how potty-training fits into it.)

Quote:

Talent makes a person's learning curve easier, but the learning curve still exists.

Quote:

Well, better is largely a subjective term, and people may rate one thing as "better" because of personal preference, but there ARE writers better than me. It's a fact of life.

I'd add to the rules:

Thank you! I added those rules. heart
TriccCene
Talent is actually pretty important, so is inspiration. If you aren't inspired, what keeps you going? If you don't have talent, how do you expect anyone to even care?

You have to note that there is a definite increase in being GOOD if you have talent and inspiration.

The desire to pound out a good product keeps me going. Inspiration is not a winning card that turns everything into gold.

If you have a good enough work ethic, you don't need natural talent. But if you have natural talent, you still need a good work ethic. Talent doesn't make people care. Good writing makes people care, and unfortunately talent does not guarantee good writing.

Haven't you ever read a good book by a talent writer, and then also read a bad book by them? That writer didn't become any less talented. Talent just wasn't enough to carry them all the way. So no, I don't note that talent and inspiration give you a definite increase. I'm willing to note that it helps, to varying degrees - but it also isn't everything.
3. Talent is not everything.

That just sounds like an excuse, or an escape route. Talent is EVERYTHING in art. You either got it, or you don't. Talent is two things: natural ability and originality. If you can write something that comes from the heart, and not from the mass-consciousness, then I'm happy and dandy, even if there's no present natural ability.
-giants.Orbiting-
3. Talent is not everything.

That just sounds like an excuse, or an escape route. Talent is EVERYTHING in art. You either got it, or you don't. Talent is two things: natural ability and originality. If you can write something that comes from the heart, and not from the mass-consciousness, then I'm happy and dandy, even if there's no present natural ability.

Actually, your reasoning sounds like an excuse to me. Does it scare you that untalented people can work hard and churn out good products?

How about this? If we want to look at talent as merely skilled ability, then people can develop talent. But if we're always going to view talent as natural ability, then I say it's not everything. It doesn't mean you're an amazing writer because you have talent, and it doesn't mean you'll never do something great because you don't. That's a black-white view of the world that I refuse to prescribe to.

Also, what am I trying to escape from? I consider myself talented in the natural ability way, since I've just been naturally good at English the same way I'm naturally bad at math. But I know that's not going to be enough for me. If I wanted an escape route, I would have said: Talent is everything. But I didn't, because I honestly don't think it is.
TriccCene

(I really need to put a disclaimer on all my posts. Warning: Loves splitting hairs.)

For the past two weeks I've sat down every single day and written between a page and 3 pages. I think there were two or three days where I decided not to write because I was too busy, and the next day I did double to make up for it.

On none of those days did I run around going, "Ah, the muse is upon me!" As a matter of fact, on several of those days I sat down cringing and going, "Oh god I don't want to do this, why can't I skip today and do double tomorrow?" But I'd grit my teeth, I'd do my one page, and if I felt like doing more, I did. And if I didn't want to, I didn't. Usually, I did feel like doing more; I'd built up momentum, I was in the story, and it was enjoyable. It was just getting through that first half-page that was miserable.

Even on the days where I sit down and go, "Wow, this story is the most miserable piece of s**t ever committed to paper by mankind," I still write that page, because I love my characters, I love this story, and I want to do it justice. (And I have people who genuinely enjoy reading the rough draft and nag me about when I'll have the next chapter done.)

I don't call that inspiration, although you might. I call that pigheaded stubbornness, with a slight helping of vanity.

Talent ... talent's a tricky b*****d. It puts you ahead in the race, but it doesn't win the race for you. And if you just sit on the racetrack and go, "wow, look at how far I am already!" someone who started behind you and is actually moving forward will surpass you pretty easily.

Disclaimer: I don't have all the answers, but I do have my own experience. If you want to see whether or not I'm a good enough writer for you to trust my philosophy on writing, feel free to PM me and ask for a sample.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff