Welcome to Gaia! ::

Characters are bogus, and Plot is second-rate: a new approach to writing
(or, Why Your Characterization Rants are Wrong)

On this forum, I see a lot of people going on about how to write: should your stories be character-based, should your plots dictate how the characters are formed? How well should you know your characters? Recently, I saw a thread asking how to improve characterization, the author felt her characters were too much like her own personality. She got a lot of advice about finding out who characters were by filling out personality quizzes.

Every time I see one of these threads, I want to hurl.

The fact is, I consider myself a fairly good writer. There’s a lot that I can improve on, sure, and I have betas that let me know these things regularly. I also hang out with a lot of fairly good writers, and we write together, not on the same stories, but in the same spaces, stretched out on each other’s beds, sprawled across couches or curled up on cushions on the floor. Six or eight people in the same space, just writing. And in spite of fairly frequent interactions with various writing communities, I don’t think that anyone I know has produced worthwhile work while writing off character sheets, or fretting over whether plots are character-driven or vice-versa. No one writes well while worrying about whether they know their characters well enough (in fact, people who know their characters too well often have more problems than are necessary).

The fact is, I think this forum is trying to capture something for beginner writers, and is going about it the wrong way. When I sit down to write a story, I don’t think “Well, today I’ll write about a vampire and… let’s see, a leprechaun, that’s something different. And the leprechaun will feel guilty over losing his family, and the vampire will need gold to keep from being evicted from his house. Now, does my main need another flaw?” That’s the way to write a character driven story (albeit not a very good one), but it’s not the way to write well. Instead, I start at something more basic than plots, something more fundamental than characters. I figure out what story I want to tell, what message I want to write.

I can hear people think “More fundamental than plot or characters?” Yes, here’s what I mean. When I sit down to write, I think to myself, “What is interesting to me about people? What do I want to explore?” The answer to this question is not a plot, but instead is a message, a way of looking at humanity. The easiest way of illustrating this will be by example, so here’s the message ideas I started with for a few of my more recent stories:

- I want to know what it’s like to build an entire worldview around the love and presence of one person, and then lose that person and have to cope.
- I want to know what it’s like to have utterly blind faith in a sibling, even if that person doesn’t return it.
- I want to know what it’s like for a fundamentally moral person to commit unfathomable moral atrocities, and then find a way to be okay with it.
- I want to know what it’s like to lack respect for someone you know will be a leader, and support them anyway, by deliberate choice. I want to know what it takes to cope with that choice.

None of these things are plots, I could fill them in with any number of characters, in any number of genres (incidentally, one of the above turned out to be a historical drama, one turned into magical realism, one turned out sci-fi, and one became a sort of fable). And none of these little quips dictate the kind of character traits I could fill out on a personality quiz. But without the foundation of these very fundamental ideas, no characters I could drum up out of my brain, and no plot that I could outline would make for a very good story. Why are these messages so essential? Because these are the foundational ideas about what it means to be human that I’m exploring. These are the heartbeat of the story in a way that even plot and character can’t be. I think that a lot of writers forget that we write to reflect things about ourselves: why we are how we are, whether we could be better or differently. These are the ideas that make the audience think after they finish reading: Does it have to be this way? Do I see aspects of this in myself?

Once you’ve got a message, then you can build plot and characters in service to that message. Take one of the examples I mentioned above:

I want to know what it’s like for a fundamentally moral person to commit unfathomable moral atrocities, and then find a way to be okay with it.

In this case, it became a sci-fi story. The MC was an Irish spaceship captain who immigrated to another planet, and eventually blew up the Earth. He blasted the planet apart, killing a lot of people in the process, and came to terms with the decision. The plot grew organically out of my original message: I wanted to know what it was like for a fundamentally moral person to commit atrocities, so the plot filled in the ‘what’ of the message: what atrocity he commits.

Characterization also grows organically out of the message that you’re writing. In this case, I needed someone who was moral, who was respected and deserved that respect. I made him a ship captain. Other aspects of characterization also arise from the message: I’ve got his motivation for the whole story down pat in that one little statement. I don’t need to worry about what his mental state will be like, the message tells me: he’s going to be conflicted, but ultimately okay with himself. At this point, I fill in a few peripheral details (where in Ireland he grew up, whether or not he was married, what his home on another planet looked like) and I’ve got a full-fledged character. Not only that, but I very rarely have difficulties with getting characters to do what I need them to, because their characterization and the plot that I have planned for them all come from the same basic source. Writing based on messages is a more holistic way of writing stories, because all your story elements are derived from one very basic idea. It creates a very focused piece of writing, and a style of writing that lends itself to the inclusion of things like metaphors, because you always know what the goal is, you’re always aware as an author of what story you’re ultimately telling.

Other nifty things that I see people on this board wrestle with can also be easily derived from a clear idea of what the message of the story will be. In the case of my example story, point of view was a non-issue. Since I was focusing on the moral struggles of one character, the story would be either tight third-person or first-person. I chose tight third, because my style works better with that. Either way, I find that I rarely have debates with myself over how I’m going to write a story, because details like that fall out of the message that I have in mind.

I’m not advocating here that everyone write in the exact style that I do. I am, however, stating my firm belief that this board all-too-frequently puts the cart before the horse. People discuss how to write characters without the context of the story they’ll be included in, discuss plot without benefit of knowing how the writer is going to tie that to an exploration of the human condition. I think that this very piecemeal approach to writing cannot, in the end, create writers of real quality, because it doesn’t create stories that hang together seamlessly. So the next time someone on this board asks “how can I write better”, don’t give advice about characters or plot first, ask them what they’re writing about, whether they have a firm idea of the message they’re exploring through the medium of story.
Mmm, I love you. What you're talking about is the difference between literature and storytelling. Although some of the "wrong" kind of writing can be entertaining when written with skill, it has little or no value outside the realm of personal enjoyment. The writing that you support is the kind that inspires change and can truly be regarded as "classic."

I find it ironic that the only people who will read that are probably the ones who already know the difference.
I see where you are coming from afterall every story, just like a building, needs some sort of foundation other wise it can never hope to stand. It needs a bit of everything though, character, plot, and message. This is what bothers me a bit about all these rants and advice. They all seem to adhere to only one part of the writing process while it should have an overview of it all.

Maybe this is part of what made you write this. But I understand why you wrote about what you did, you want to start where you think it's best to begin, the foundation.

Of course it's hard to connect to something that I didn't do when I came up with my story. Mind I was only about twelve at the time and had little idea what I was doing other then the fact that I wanted to write a fantasy story.

And now I've lost track of where I was going so I am just going to stop now. redface
Thank you so effing much. XD I made a thread addressing this issue, but I don't believe I ever ranted about it. I just asked people what they thought about stories not revolving around characters, plot, etc., and instead focusing on an idea or message to convey.

That being said, I approve of this rant. *thumbs up* Thank you for saying something.
It's generally assumed, I think, that they already have a driving concept or a "message". They do, really, because it's what characters and plots sprout from. If there's no soil for a flower to take root, it doesn't grow. Some just don't notice it. It is something constantly overlooked in this forum, I do not deny that.

But it doesn't disprove what all the characterization rants have said. In a way, you are backing them up. You speak of the foundation of it all, they speak of refining things that have sprung from that foundation.
Somebody needs to read the last few pages of discussion in the WF links thread.
Luzerne
It's generally assumed, I think, that they already have a driving concept or a "message". They do, really, because it's what characters and plots sprout from. If there's no soil for a flower to take root, it doesn't grow. Some just don't notice it. It is something constantly overlooked in this forum, I do not deny that.

But it doesn't disprove what all the characterization rants have said. In a way, you are backing them up. You speak of the foundation of it all, they speak of refining things that have sprung from that foundation.

But many of those plots and characters don't have that foundation--which is part of the reason that they are never finished, or, if they are, the reason that they are no good.
I don't even start with that.

It's probably a very sloppy way to write, but I almost always begin with an image or a sound or a sensation. All my characters and plotlines and, I suppose, ideas for the story spring from that. At some point I might get around to thinking-- using your example-- what if this character I've bunged in here is fundamentally moral, but... and so forth, but I begin with a single 'snapshot'. Character traits and quirks come naturally in the course of the story; plotlines and ideas are developed as I write.

This sloppy and rather sketchy way of writing is one of the reasons I've never felt comfortable in the main WF forum: everyone seems to have different priorities for their stories, and they rarely make sense to me. I don't want to know about a character's name and eye colour and strange physical characteristics: I just want to write about them. I don't want to start with a detailed plan of where I want to take the story, sub-plots and all: I want my plot to develop naturally, as it would in real life.

Quote:
Either way, I find that I rarely have debates with myself over how I’m going to write a story, because details like that fall out of the message that I have in mind.

Yes, I find that too. Often I'm able to choose a point of view because a character's voice or narrator's tone occurs to me; I don't think I've ever sat down and debated which p.o.v. to use.
I'm sorry, [Alphabravo], but I've lost all respect for you. sad

Sorry.
Sathe
Luzerne

But many of those plots and characters don't have that foundation--which is part of the reason that they are never finished, or, if they are, the reason that they are no good.

Hence why I said it was constantly overlooked. They have inklings of it if there's a central theme at all present, but it might not be refined or clear. If they don't realize what it is eventually, they fail because the story seems to have no point.

Newbies start with "I want to be cool and write a fantasy trilogy" and they fail because not only does it have no purpose but they're expecting it to be easy. When they find the cold, hard truth that novel-writing isn't all fun and games, they fret and worry and begin to see non-existent problems. So they run here and ask us about all sorts of things that really don't matter in the end. They're scared of everything and afraid to take a step forward. That's why nothing develops and the concept never comes out of its hiding place.

It's possible to find your purpose or message after you have a basic plot or a character. The message is not the only way to start a good story.
Oh, my, this has gotten some varied responses! I'll try and address everyone, but it may take me a few posts.

@Sathe: Well, I'm kind of hoping that the ones who know the difference will read it, and that we can talk about it and figure out how it fits into what gets told to new people when threads like "help me fix my characters?" pop up. I really wrote it because of a difference I see between how the OP/L tries to mentor new poets and how the main writer's forum tries to mentor new prose writers. The OP/L tends to be a lot more holistic in their approach, and I was curious about how a different approach than the usualy piecemeal would be taken here by the people who regularly deal with such things.

@Sho-Shonojo:
Quote:
I see where you are coming from afterall every story, just like a building, needs some sort of foundation other wise it can never hope to stand. It needs a bit of everything though, character, plot, and message. This is what bothers me a bit about all these rants and advice. They all seem to adhere to only one part of the writing process while it should have an overview of it all.

Yes, that's it exactly. I got really frustrated with the one-thing-or-another approach. I was writing the part of the process that I think gets ignored a lot.

@ Fidei: You had a thread about this? Hmmm. I must have missed it (my Gaia attendance tends to be spotty, and my main writers forum attendance spottier).

@Luxerne: You're right that I don't disprove much of what's written in the big characterization rants. I actually agree with a lot of what's written in threads like Veive's, though I suspect I agree with a lot less than most people on these boards. What I'm really trying to take issue with is their implied emphasis on character as the aspect on which stories need to be built.

@ x_haphazard_x: You mean the exchange between Ace and Calviness on messages getting drilled into people's heads? I thought about that while writing this actually, and I tried to make clear with examples that I'm not really talking about morals, per se, but about just ideas of what needs to get explored ("I want to know" statements that leave things more open instead of "You should" statements that turn into closed moral wrecking balls). It's possible that I didn't make this clear enough. Sorry. sad
Alphabravo

@ x_haphazard_x: You mean the exchange between Ace and Calviness on messages getting drilled into people's heads? I thought about that while writing this actually, and I tried to make clear with examples that I'm not really talking about morals, per se, but about just ideas of what needs to get explored ("I want to know" statements that leave things more open instead of "You should" statements that turn into closed moral wrecking balls). It's possible that I didn't make this clear enough. Sorry. sad

Mostly what I'm angry about is the idea of taking all your ideas from ONE ideas. That's about the worst idea I've ever heard... it creates a sterile 'verse. If you focus on one thing too much, everyone's fixated. Everything bends to that one thing, and that's just... wrong. It's extremely important to have nonessential personnel in stories. Honestly. It's fine to have a Big Idea, but with nothing else, it comes out dull and lifeless, nothing but a pretty bit of writing.

This is the opposite end of the spectrum with amateur writers, the ones opposite the vampire-goth-pirate-half-vetrenarian characters, the kind you find enjoying themselves at creative writing camps (Oh, did I really just say that? sweatdrop ). You've got to find a medium.
Responses, continued:

@ Panthino: It's funny, but that's usually exactly how I start when I'm building poems! I really start with those on a really clear, really striking image, and it might not even show up in the final produst, but that's where it all begins. I tend to be a lot like you in that I don't know stuff like eye colour and physical quirks. I sometimes don't even have names before a second draft. To each his own, as far as style goes, really. I kind of tried to write this in the style of other rants on this forum ("thou shalt", rules for writing, and all), mostly because it's the easiest way to provoke discussion.

@ x_haphazard_x: ... okay? I'm curious as to why you'd lose all respect for me. Because I haven't replied to poeple yet? Because it's a different way of writing (that I presume you view as harmful, or silly)? Hmmm. sad If nothing else, it'd be good to know what mistakes not to make again.
ETA: Oh, haha, you'd already replied (I am SLOW). Okay, gimme a minute on that one.
x_haphazard_x

Mostly what I'm angry about is the idea of taking all your ideas from ONE ideas. That's about the worst idea I've ever heard... it creates a sterile 'verse. If you focus on one thing too much, everyone's fixated. Everything bends to that one thing, and that's just... wrong. It's extremely important to have nonessential personnel in stories. Honestly. It's fine to have a Big Idea, but with nothing else, it comes out dull and lifeless, nothing but a pretty bit of writing.

This is the opposite end of the spectrum with amateur writers, the ones opposite the vampire-goth-pirate-half-vetrenarian characters, the kind you find enjoying themselves at creative writing camps (Oh, did I really just say that? sweatdrop ). You've got to find a medium.

Oh interesting! I'm not sure that it does create a sterile 'verse, but I could see how it might lead that way.

On reflection, it's possible that this is a difference between someone who primarily writes short stories (cough*me*cough), and someone who writes longer works, or novels. Short stories can more easily afford to be focussed in the way that writing like this can cause you to focus. Often, short story authors don't have the luxury of a large cast, or multiple settings.

On the other hand, when I've tried novels, it's worked fairly well. The key is just creativity. You can try to write a message like this as a novel, and what I tend to find (in my own writing, at least) is that if you don't create subplots or secondary characters, you run out of story. If you stretch it out without accoutrements, you're right, you'd probably get a sterile verse. A little creativity can give you major plot twists that require secondary characters and such. It's not really writing away from the central idea, it's just another way to get there, with more bumps and curves. I wonder if the longevity of a central idea (how long you can stretch it out before sucking the life out of the verse) is more related to the plot you come up with than with the message itself? Hmmm.
Alphabravo

Oh interesting! I'm not sure that it does create a sterile 'verse, but I could see how it might lead that way.

On reflection, it's possible that this is a difference between someone who primarily writes short stories (cough*me*cough), and someone who writes longer works, or novels. Short stories can more easily afford to be focussed in the way that writing like this can cause you to focus. Often, short story authors don't have the luxury of a large cast, or multiple settings.

On the other hand, when I've tried novels, it's worked fairly well. The key is just creativity. You can try to write a message like this as a novel, and what I tend to find (in my own writing, at least) is that if you don't create subplots or secondary characters, you run out of story. If you stretch it out without accoutrements, you're right, you'd probably get a sterile verse. A little creativity can give you major plot twists that require secondary characters and such. It's not really writing away from the central idea, it's just another way to get there, with more bumps and curves. I wonder if the longevity of a central idea (how long you can stretch it out before sucking the life out of the verse) is more related to the plot you come up with than with the message itself? Hmmm.

I mean, one of the biggest problems of a lot of amateurs is finding "this is what this story is about" and being fixated on that. Sure, it works for short stories, but anything longer NEEDS more. You don't have to be as ADD as The Catcher in the Rye, but if you look at a good Simpsons episode, there are two, sometimes three, plots going on at once. It's probably a bigger problem with more experienced writers and satire. You spend so much time satirizing someone that there's no value to the actual writing.

So you're not really helping the problem, you're just changing the focus the energy is being wasted on.

And then there's my personal issue with working in the exact opposite direction as you, but that's personal preference. I personally can't work that direction. If given anything with that much possibilities, I can only think about trying everything I can think of, or worse, not think of anything at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff