Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Fatcat

4,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ X E R O ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

User Image

Well, in my opinion, I kind of think that button is pointless.
No one tells you why they will dislike your thread or like it either way. Just a way to earn gold? Well it also increases silent trolling :/

I think they should add a little box where people must type in why they are disliking the thread then it would make more sense than silent trolling.

║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║║█║▌║█║▌│

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

The like/dislike button is there so you can express your opinion and you don't have to post. :/ putting in a description of why you hit the button would completely defeat the purpose. If you think it's pointless, then just ignore it. I like it. Just because you don't doesn't make it 'silent trolling'.

Versatile Fatcat

4,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

User Image
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.

Wow don't need to get all mad, I was just asking for others opinion.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

Xero Siah

User Image
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.

Wow don't need to get all mad, I was just asking for others opinion.

I was unaware that I was mad.

People hit the button for various reasons. A lot of time I just hit it because what I have to say has already been said and is being expressed already by other users.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
I was unaware that I was mad.

People hit the button for various reasons. A lot of time I just hit it because what I have to say has already been said and is being expressed already by other users.

Same here. And sometimes I'm just tired and don't want to say anything. Or maybe I have a reason to fear getting a hostile response from the poster (like why I don't always comment in the avatar arenas, just voting on some avatars) and want to be able to show my opinion without fear of getting attacked.

Also, OP... You don't get gold from giving a <3 or a </3 to a thread. confused

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Hitting the dislike button =/= trolling, and I should not have to give my reasons why I dislike a thread, especially if said thread is a troll thread or a thread that breaks the rules and TOS. Plus, other websites like Youtube have a like/dislike button, and you don't see people complaining about the feature.

Also, you don't get gold from hitting the like/dislike button.

Desirable Genius

8,500 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Everything that is right or reasonable pleads for separation.

User Image

wel some parts of it may seem pointless. but also how can we tell if it's a so called 'popular' thread?. the number of posts? But yeah the dislikes and all. . . well it's really all there opinion. but a reason would be nice.

The blood of the slain, the weeping voice of nature cries, 'tis time to part.

Invisible Hunter

9,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Xero Siah

User Image

Well, in my opinion, I kind of think that button is pointless.
No one tells you why they will dislike your thread or like it either way. Just a way to earn gold? Well it also increases silent trolling :/

I think they should add a little box where people must type in why they are disliking the thread then it would make more sense than silent trolling.

Currently, I have a thread going on in the Spring Cleaning Proposals concerning this topic. Go here, and believe me you are far from alone on thinking this.

I'm currently waiting to see if Pan will bother putting it into the Spring Cleaning Forum, as that might get it more feedback and votes..

Dangerous Visionary

It's pointless to have in the Life Issues, Lifestyle, and sometimes the exchange and arts forums. That's for sure. Yeah people will use it to troll people that's not uncommon. Also people on your ignore list still have the ability to downrate your thread as well.

O.G. Firestarter

22,425 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
People can easily tell you why they like/don't like your thread. It's called posting.

Personally I'm fine with it as is. If I had to type out why I like/dislike a thread every time I voted, I can guarantee that I'll get lazy and just type "asdfasdfasdf" every time.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Every time I see someone making a thread complaining about the voting system; it is always, ALWAYS have something to do with the person's paper thin skin. How many ******** times must people tell you guys who can't handle negative votes that the people who vote you down, AREN'T TROLLS! And look everyone. Once again these people never have a problem with POSITIVE votes. Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The voting system is bad because it isn't bias. rolleyes It should be like Facebook where all you can do is like someone statues.

By the way. I vote this thread down because I'm getting tired of repeating the various reasons why the voting system is a marvelous way for someone to anonymously express their like or dislike of a thread. People should not be obligated to tell you why you deserved the vote you earn. If you see more votes than posts; it only means what have been said won't be said for the next 10 times.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Miss-dark8607
It's pointless to have in the Life Issues, Lifestyle, and sometimes the exchange and arts forums. That's for sure. Yeah people will use it to troll people that's not uncommon. Also people on your ignore list still have the ability to downrate your thread as well.

I can understand getting rid of it in Life Issues and Lifestyle forums, but I think other forum threads should be fair game, even art forums.

Anyway... Anyone else find it ironic that 7 people gave this thread <3's? I mean, this is a thread saying the like/dislike feature is pointless, so anyone who gives a <3 to support it is going against what they're saying... Like some kind of oxymoron, really. cat_ninja

Dangerous Visionary

marshmallowcreampie
Miss-dark8607

I can understand getting rid of it in Life Issues and Lifestyle forums, but I think other forum threads should be fair game, even art forums.

Anyway... Anyone else find it ironic that 7 people gave this thread <3's? I mean, this is a thread saying the like/dislike feature is pointless, so anyone who gives a <3 to support it is going against what they're saying... Like some kind of oxymoron, really. cat_ninja

I don't know for sure but I remember seeing a thread here talking about other artists like to gang up and downvote newer artists or something like that. It's silly how simple things like this can really bring out the worst in the Gaia communities.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Miss-dark8607

I don't know for sure but I remember seeing a thread here talking about other artists like to gang up and downvote newer artists or something like that. It's silly how simple things like this can really bring out the worst in the Gaia communities.

Eh, the way I see it, just because some people abuse a feature doesn't mean we should get rid of it altogether. Maybe do more to prevent abuse, like if the mods find out users are ganging up on one thread or user to give downvotes for teh lulz, the people ganging up could receive warnings. But getting rid of it altogether would be annoying. There are legitimate reasons to downvote an art thread, like if the art is overpriced or plagiarized or if the OP is a total jerk.

Shy Gaian

I use that button if I really like a post, or really dislike it. I probably won't use it for this thread.
But lately I've been having "post block" and haven't had much of anything to say, so that button is a life savor.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff