Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Feeder

11,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
I make a lot of roleplays, etc on Gaia and the one thing I'm not a massive fan of is the "Like and dislike" Options. Especially to the fact that I can see if someone disliked a forum. If someone for example suggested something in a forum like a new voting system and it was disliked, that person may feel reluctant to posting any more of their ideas. In my opinion if you want to have the like and dislike buttons you should change the following:

- It shouldn't go into minus numbers: I've seen some stupid topics out there that were made to just tick people off that get -10 votes but what about the topics that people poured their heart and soul into that get negative votes? That's unfair.
or
- Don't show the total of the likes and dislikes: Same reason as above really only if you can see it has 1 vote and you just want to make it 0 (Because you're a selfish -----) and you click the dislike button without even reading the topic. Unfair.

- Like on the old community page, have a chart with the most liked topics: I missed looking about on there seeing what petitions were up and ready and well liked.

- Get rid of the dislike button: You try and promote "positive" on gaia and to be quite blunt, disliking something isn't really "positive."

I'm not saying it was a bad idea at all but to be quite honest most of the people who actually do vote down, don't even read the topic first. It's just a crime that's just as bad as spamming on a topic.

Shirtless Powerhouse

I love the dislike button. Let's face it; if you get a lot of dislikes, you're probably doing something wrong that is making people dislike your thread. The dislike allows you to voice your disapproval or disagreement with an idea when all of your feelings on it have already been voiced by others, which is nice.

In short, I don't think it's a problem. And I think that people really need to grow a thicker skin over it. The culture of overprotection and ego-stroking has to end, because it's turning us all into pussies who can't deal with disagreement or disapproval.

The number of votes in either direction is a good indicator of the general feel of the thread, in most cases.

The only place I support it being removed is Life Issues, where people are voicing legit problems and concerns, and many of them are emotionally compromised and already depressed. Honestly? Your RP gets a few negative votes, boo hoo. Maybe you should look at your originality or content, or the way you treat prospective members.

Toothsome Treasure

Ganon Firenight
I love the dislike button. Let's face it; if you get a lot of dislikes, you're probably doing something wrong that is making people dislike your thread. The dislike allows you to voice your disapproval or disagreement with an idea when all of your feelings on it have already been voiced by others, which is nice.

In short, I don't think it's a problem. And I think that people really need to grow a thicker skin over it. The culture of overprotection and ego-stroking has to end, because it's turning us all into pussies who can't deal with disagreement or disapproval.

The number of votes in either direction is a good indicator of the general feel of the thread, in most cases.

The only place I support it being removed is Life Issues, where people are voicing legit problems and concerns, and many of them are emotionally compromised and already depressed. Honestly? Your RP gets a few negative votes, boo hoo. Maybe you should look at your originality or content, or the way you treat prospective members.

This, exactly.

I just had a thread where not only was the guy a total d**k to me, but yo my boyfriend and another person who joined as well. It wasn't just a, "Sorry, we don't think you could handle the roleplay", but he called everyone a mary-sue who didn't fit in with his idea of the roleplay exactly, and didn't stop other people from insulting previous members. His roleplay has been downvoted a lot because of how he treated people, and he rightly deserved it.

Besides, most threads in Barton don't get a lot of votes except from the people in it or looking into joining. Aside from a few spammers, it's a pretty exclusive forum. People keep to their own threads, and only a few people who usually do it in other places as well will just spam downvote.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Ganon Firenight

I agree with everything you have said. As a writer, do you know who my favorite type of reviewers are? Those who don't hesitate to rip apart what's wrong with my works because it's by having the flaws pointed out I can try to correct them. Studies have shown that people tend to overvalue the quality of their work and sometimes this can be sobering.

I often use like or dislike (and I think that adding the negitive was a good thing) to add my aproval or disaproval even when everything I wanted to say was said.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I like the dislike button, so no, it should not go. If I see a troll thread, I can just hit the dislike button. That way, I can show my distaste without having to feed the troll. After all, who in their right mind who upvote a troll thread? :/

Also, thread voting has been around for a long time. It used to be in the form of a thumbs up/thumbs down button.

Magical Girl

35,050 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Sorry but I agree with everyone on here. I like the dislike button. The only place I don't think it should be is in the Life Issues forum.

O.G. Firestarter

22,425 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
Hey, anyone remember that official feedback thread about redesigning thread pages?
If so, remember how many people asked for a </3 button just to make it less like Facebook's "Like" button?
Because if memory serves, it was a shitload of people asking for that.

A negative thread rating isn't necessarily a sign of a troll invasion. It's entirely possible you're doing something people don't like. Be willing to take some criticism and learn from your mistakes next time.

Really the only difference between this and the old thumbs up/down thing is that the results are visible.

Gaian

No thank you. I like the dislike button.

Rainbow Lover

24,375 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
If it makes you feel better, I read the entire OP before I clicked the </3, as I always do.

Your assumption that all people </3 a topic without even reading it is false. I can't speak for other forums, but generally in this forum </3ing a topic means you dislike the idea, but someone's already said whatever you would say, so it's easy to express your opinion with a button without repeating what someone already said. That's why I love these buttons and I'm very glad we have them.

People need to stop being so butthurt over a little </3. My threads get them and I don't care. People are just expressing their opinions and I don't expect everyone to think like I do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff