Welcome to Gaia! ::

When are we going to get one of the newer bug removal topics made as a sticky on the computer and tech forum. the old one has broken pictures and things like that unless a dev can take new pictures and edit the sticky to put them in where they should be or something.

but i want to know has the computer and tech forum been forgotten?
Good idea. I think that user has either been banned or quit for the longest time.
It's a darn helpful thread and it needs to be fixed up.

Maybe you can also poke the admins during the Ask the Staff if you are available or get it touch with Gaians who are active there to post this concern for you.

Everyday Cat

That user quit a good while back, partially due to this very issue. I'm a lurker over there. The problem is that technology changes so quickly that something like that needs to be updated on a regular basis. But only higher-ups can edit stickies, not that user, who is but a regular user.

He had been trying for many years before he quit. I don't think there's much of a chance of it happening now.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
I'd suggest giving up hope on getting the sticky updated. It's been years since the last update for a reason. The moderator team has strict policies and hoops to jump through to make any stickied posts. By the time they get a new one up it would already be outdated, which is exactly what happened with Rydian's thread. It wasn't even up for a week before it needed to be updated again. It was dicks.

Self-sustaining Simp

Is this the one you mean?
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/computers-technology/spyware-adware-virus-trojan-rootkit-keylogger-removal-guide/t.56156111/

If not, PM me a link to the right one.

I'll see if we can get things updated over there. It might take a little while, but it's definitely something we can look at. Perhaps with a better way to keep things up-to-date as well(eg: linking to reliable resources, rather than reposting the content), if the problem is it becoming outdated quickly even when it is updated.
UNSUB
Good idea. I think that user has either been banned or quit for the longest time.
It's a darn helpful thread and it needs to be fixed up.

Maybe you can also poke the admins during the Ask the Staff if you are available or get it touch with Gaians who are active there to post this concern for you.
he quit years a go the maker of it.
idleRAT
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/computers-technology/spyware-adware-virus-trojan-rootkit-keylogger-removal-guide/t.56156111/

I'll see if we can get things updated over there. It might take a little while, but it's definitely something we can look at. Perhaps with a better way to keep things up-to-date as well(eg: linking to reliable resources, rather than reposting the content), if the problem is it becoming outdated quickly even when it is updated.

I will get you the link and yes that is the sticky i am talking about
'Sup.

The issue wasn't specifically the sticky being outdated quickly, but that it needed updating at all. That just didn't fit with the way the C&T was being treated at the time.

Years ago, that guide was getting updated... I'd say every few months, as needed. I'd do a revision (for clarity), some new tools would come out, some info would be added for more modern threats, etc. Years ago it was no problem to stick a new version up or just have a mod edit my posts every few months ('cause stickied = locked to normal users on this forum as far as permissions go).

But that changed, the C&T was put under a strict "no moderation" order, and things floundered. I had a new version of it written, but mods were under orders to not do any moderation in the C&T, so it (along with various other things) never got updated.

At the time I was still active I sent out tons of PMs and requests to mods and staff, but "we'll see" lip service was the best response I got, (in the cases I got a response at all). The guide was already over two years outdated when I simply gave up and left.

I'm willing to write a new version targeting modern OSes and threats and with updated protection info, but... unless the "no moderation" order on the C&T has been lifted, nothing's actually going to happen.
idleRAT

The guy who wrote it years a go btw is at the bottom of this topic.

so let me ask you is there any chance you think this will happen?

he even said he is willing to write a new one for the forum.

Perfect Saint

The Last Rydian
'Sup.

The issue wasn't specifically the sticky being outdated quickly, but that it needed updating at all. That just didn't fit with the way the C&T was being treated at the time.

Years ago, that guide was getting updated... I'd say every few months, as needed. I'd do a revision (for clarity), some new tools would come out, some info would be added for more modern threats, etc. Years ago it was no problem to stick a new version up or just have a mod edit my posts every few months ('cause stickied = locked to normal users on this forum as far as permissions go).

But that changed, the C&T was put under a strict "no moderation" order, and things floundered. I had a new version of it written, but mods were under orders to not do any moderation in the C&T, so it (along with various other things) never got updated.

At the time I was still active I sent out tons of PMs and requests to mods and staff, but "we'll see" lip service was the best response I got, (in the cases I got a response at all). The guide was already over two years outdated when I simply gave up and left.

I'm willing to write a new version targeting modern OSes and threats and with updated protection info, but... unless the "no moderation" order on the C&T has been lifted, nothing's actually going to happen.
I don't understand that policy of theirs but I would love that your sticky gets updated. It helped me with some issues some years ago.

Self-sustaining Simp

@Rydian: There have been no orders of any kind for us not to moderate any specific forums, we're just really short of moderators and it's ended up getting overlooked. Thank you for offering to contribute, I'll shoot you a PM in a little while about that. heart

Contest and Guild
idleRAT

The guy who wrote it years a go btw is at the bottom of this topic.

so let me ask you is there any chance you think this will happen?

he even said he is willing to write a new one for the forum.

There's a process we have to go through to get new stickies sorted so it may take a short while, but yes, this is something we can do. I can't give you a timeline for when it'll be done, but it's being worked on now. Sorry if that was not clear from my original post.
bump.
wondering if any dev mod or staff member has an update on this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff