Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think that we should disable the "Like/Dislike" button in criticism forums such as Picture Post, Avatar Talk, Ect. I am posting this for everyone who has asked for feedback, and are not getting it because of the "Like/dislike" buttons.

When I am in a thread like Picture Post, I am posting for feedback, and constructive critisism.
<3/ </3 Doesnt tell me s**t about what im doing good, or what to improve on.
I find it distracting when I have -3 and only one post.

Criticism: the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.

I, as well as any other artist, find feedback very important to success.

This is quoted from the Rules and Guidelines in Picture Post.
Quote:
Post things that you actually want serious feedback on and have put effort into.
Picture Post is a place for members to get serious comments and critiques on their artwork. Posting art that you don't care about is not fair to users who actually want help with their art and users who are providing critique. A ten-second MSPaint doodle is not considered acceptable to be posted in Picture Post. It's not funny, and can be considered spamming or trolling.

Posting artwork implies that you want criticism.
Not everyone will like your art, and many of them will say so bluntly. If you want your art and your posts to be taken seriously, try to understand the feedback that is given you rather than immediately dismissing any critique that you don't like.

I do not feel that <3 or </3 gives us the criticism that we are asking for.

Liberal Citizen

10,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Bigt275316
no

Explain why?

Liberal Citizen

10,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
falling airplanes
Bigt275316
no

Explain why?

Because it allows for people lurking to express their opinion without needing to type.
Bigt275316
falling airplanes
Bigt275316
no

Explain why?

Because it allows for people lurking to express their opinion without needing to type.

Did you even read my OP?
I post in Picture post for FEEDBACK.
<3/</3 Doesn't tell me s**t.
If people hate my art, then I want to know why, and how to change it. -_-

9,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Isn't Picture Post for real life photos...?
    There's a forum/area specifically for art/drawings, and I think there's a photo subforum inside of them.
    Maybe direct your posts there? Sometimes people will just </3 in a misplaced thread without bothering to report and move it.
Girasoles

There's a forum/area specifically for art/drawings, and I think there's a photo subforum inside of them.
    Maybe direct your posts there? Sometimes people will just </3 in a misplaced thread without bothering to report and move it.

I did post real life photos.
I want to get better at photography, and i thought I could get some feedback on some pictures I took.
But I guess thats not the point of the form is it. the only purpose is for people to <3 or </3 it.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
I disagree. Just how I always disagree every time I see these "please disable the voting because I can't take anonymous criticism," threads. I don't care what forum you resign in. People should have the choice to vote without ever reveling why if they so please. Those who do verbalize will. And most likely the verbal ones don't even vote. So stop being so damn discourage every time you see your thread in the negative numbers.

9,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
falling airplanes
Girasoles

I want to get better at photography, and i thought I could get some feedback on some pictures I took.
But I guess thats not the point of the form is it. the only purpose is for people to <3 or </3 it.

Hmm, sorry. I thought there was a forum for photography itself, since Picture Post takes all sorts of finished art.

I happened to look over it and noticed one of your threads, it looked like you got feedback in it and some criticism. I also read the forum guidelines, and it specifically says that posting there means you want criticism. Unfortunately, I guess in this regards, you're getting negative criticism.

I'm personally still for the system of <3 or </3, but it might be a good idea where disabling it (like in the test forums), or giving the option to enable/disable it, would be better.
Hikarulawl
I disagree. Just how I always disagree every time I see these "please disable the voting because I can't take anonymous criticism," threads. I don't care what forum you resign in. People should have the choice to vote without ever reveling why if they so please. Those who do verbalize will. And most likely the verbal ones don't even vote. So stop being so damn discourage every time you see your thread in the negative numbers.

Get your head out of your a** and see the real picture.

I go to picture post to get feedback of my photo or art.
I want to know how to improve. Which is the ENTIRE POINT OF THAT THREAD!

CRITICISM:
the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.

If i get a </3 how am i going to improve? How do i know what specifically is wrong with my picture?
Girasoles
falling airplanes
Girasoles

Hmm, sorry. I thought there was a forum for photography itself, since Picture Post takes all sorts of finished art.

I happened to look over it and noticed one of your threads, it looked like you got feedback in it and some criticism. I also read the forum guidelines, and it specifically says that posting there means you want criticism. Unfortunately, I guess in this regards, you're getting negative criticism.

I'm personally still for the system of <3 or </3, but it might be a good idea where disabling it (like in the test forums), or giving the option to enable/disable it, would be better.

I went there because I wanted people to tell me how to improve, yes, last i checked there was a girl there, but searching through multiple threads, I found there was more votes than feedback.
I dont think in all forum it should be disabled, but in this one it should.
Thats the whole point of the forum.

9,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
falling airplanes
Girasoles
falling airplanes
Girasoles

I went there because I wanted people to tell me how to improve, yes, last i checked there was a girl there, but searching through multiple threads, I found there was more votes than feedback.
I dont think in all forum it should be disabled, but in this one it should.
Thats the whole point of the forum.

If I were you, I would either change your OP post in this thread to clarify that you want it disabled for the Picture Post forum and your Title to something like 'Disabling <3 </3 for the Picture Post Forum' - or waiting for a while and making a new thread with that changed information.

The issue right now is that your title is a blanket statement - Disable the Dislike/Like button. However, you're looking for something specific - Disable the Dislike/Like button for the Picture Post forum. Explain why as you have to me - it's a forum for criticism and silent </3 votes do nothing to help provide any helpful criticism.

Though, even then I could see a devil's advocate saying that the </3 vote could be used because OP was rude to those who offered the constructive criticism... I think it's still worth editing your OP and Title.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
falling airplanes
Hikarulawl

CRITICISM:
the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.

If i get a </3 how am i going to improve? How do i know what specifically is wrong with my picture?

How are you going to know what to improve you say? By the people who DO verbally tell you why! Some people are lurkers. And some are posters. And besides... people can vote for all or part of you opening post. Perhaps the people who voted down didn't like your presentation. Perhaps what they would rather have said would be so critical they didn't want to hurt your feelings and still have the need to give an opinion one way or another. Quite frankly if you are so damn upset about a vote. I would hate to see your reaction to the people who do analyze your work. But judging the way you spoken to me just now; I have feeling what most of those down votes are for.
Hikarulawl
falling airplanes
Hikarulawl

CRITICISM:

How are you going to know what to improve you say? By the people who DO verbally tell you why! Some people are lurkers. And some are posters. And besides... people can vote for all or part of you opening post. Perhaps the people who voted down didn't like your presentation. Perhaps what they would rather have said would be so critical they didn't want to hurt your feelings and still have the need to give an opinion one way or another. Quite frankly if you are so damn upset about a vote. I would hate to see your reaction to the people who do analyze your work. But judging the way you spoken to me just now; I have feeling what most of those down votes are for.

And if no one verbally tells you? I like when people are up front and tell me what I need to work on. Then I can get better.

Im not upset about a down vote. I'm upset that they dont tell me what is wrong with my photo in the first place.

Edit. <3 or </3 Isnt criticism no matter what you think.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Girasoles

No, Picture Post is where you post finished artwork. If you hover over the Picture Post forum link, it says "show off your finished art for all to see." The subforum in PP, Works in Progress, is only for showing off works in progress, sketches, or roughs. There's also no photography subforum (yet).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff