Welcome to Gaia! ::

wow, a year and only 28 pages? oh well Time skip nao?

Yes please! 0.42857142857143 42.9% [ 3 ]
Nooooooo 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
GOLLLLLLLLLLD <3 0.57142857142857 57.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 7 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 32 33 > >>

Invisible Pawn

Welcome to Another Land, a Naruto themed adventure set on another continent. Want to learn more and figure out how to join? Then visit the OC thread here

We'll be starting in the post after this. If your character has NOT been approved by my first, do NOT post! I am fairly lenient and tolerant with character approval, so no one should feel like it is taking them forever to get accepted.

I hope to have a map of the world sometime. As of right now, there is no set arrangement of...anything. I've dumped this work on my assistant, but she tends to have more of a life than I do, so it might take awhile. I'm being lazy, that's all.

Now then, to those of you who have been approved alright. Congradulations, and good luck!

Invisible Pawn

~BEGIN NOW!~

In the Jade Palace, the young emperor was still ill. His father had passed away recently, leaving his vast empire to his young son of 12 years of age. The Royal Adviser was acting as Regent. Initially, people suspected him of having had something to do with the young emperor's mysterious illness, however, he has been desperately seeking someone who can cure his highness's ailment.

A declaration has been issued to any who have information concerning a mysterious priestess who may possess the power to heal him. Not much is known about this woman, except that she possesses great purifying powers and is believed to be both old and beautiful. The sound of bells seems to sound whenever she walks is the only other clue.

The Adviser is willing to pay handsomely anyone who can bring this priestess to the palace. A squad of Ryuuken Samurai have been dispatched openly, and secretly so have the Ryuuken shinobi. There is also an underground contract for the live capture of the priestess as well.

Meanwhile, in the Shinki Mountains....

The last of the Shinki Priesthood, Mikomi, was still ill. Legend in the village said that as long as she remained in the Shinki Mountain area, she would never age, never grow ill, and never die. Unfortunately, this did not mean that if she became ill outside this area that she would automatically be made well once she returned. As a result, she seemed not to be able to recover normally at all.

Several months ago, she had rescued a small child and had tended to his injuries. He had been kidnapped by shinobi and taken far from his home. Mikomi decided to travel with him and return him to his parents. Unfortunately, before she returned home, she had helped treated a person who was ill outside the Shinki Mountain area. As a result, she herself had became ill by the time she returned to the temple.

Fortunately for her, she now had a young apprentice miko working for her. Shiro was a meek young lady whom Mikomi herself had raised. Shiro was an orphan who had the potential to tap into spiritual power. She was hungry and weak when Mikomi found her wandering in the mountains alone, ten years ago. Even though there was no need to train a future generation of Shinki priestesses, as she was suppose to be able to live indefinitely in the area, she decided she would not let the young girl's talent be wasted.

Shiro deeply admired Mikomi and saw her as an older sister. She was also worried about her welfare, but she was also very timid and afraid. She seldom left the temple and was afraid of most people. Mikomi told her that she could leave whenever she wanted, but Shiro decided she would rather stay. The villagers do not know that their priestess was ill; Shiro dismissed it as her being tired in preparation for a very important ritual.

Mikomi was acted tough. Her duty as a priestess was more important than anything else. Although she was clearly ill, she did not let it interfere with her responsibilities. Shiro had to force her to rest.

Invisible Pawn

((herro? anyone there? no posties? crying ))
Deep in the forests at the base of Mount Rekka...

Wind rustled gently through the trees. Kamen reclined against a tree trunk, closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Her fingers toyed with the opal necklace around her neck.

"Kamen!"

Kamen's eyes shot open. She reached for the kunai in the pouch strapped to her hip. "Who's there?"

A tall shinobi stepped out from the bushes. He was completely dressed in black, from the bandana on his head to his sandals. He held his hands up. "Kamen, relax. It's me!"

"Oh... it's just you. Kenshiki..." Kamen put away the knife. "What are you doing out here?"

"I was looking for you. What are you doing out here anyway? You know that ninja of the Village Hidden in the Embers are supposed to stay within the village limits at all times!"

Kamen stood up and looked at him with a giggle. "And yet you're out here."

"That's not the point, Kamen." Kenshiki shook his head. "Lord Yama wanted to see us, and we can't show up without our leader."

"Oh great... another job for the 'Mole Squad', huh? Ok then. Lead the way."

Together they shot down a rugged path toward Mount Rekka. The path seemed to get grayer and more depressing the closer they got to the mountain. Before they knew it, they were racing up the bleak and lifeless face of the slope.

"So what kinda mission is this then?"

Kenshiki shrugged. "Dunno. He didn't really give me any details. C'mon. We're almost to the entrance."

The duo came to a halt on a thin ledge that was mostly covered by a huge boulder. Kenshiki quickly glanced around before approaching the large rock. He placed his right hand in a large, worn out groove on the side of the rock and closed his eyes. The ring on his middle finger glowed for a brief moment before the rock rumbled and rolled aside, revealing a dark cavern.

Kenshiki motioned toward the cave. "Ladies first."

Kamen rolled her eyes and walked through the stony arch. Kenshiki slid inside and the rock rolled back into place. The cavern was illuminated by small steams of magma that flowed beside a thin, craggy trail. Further down this path, a bright orange light popped out of the blackness. Kamen coughed. The whole cave smelled like sulfur and smoke.

"Gah... I hate it in here..." Kamen commented as she led Kenshiki down the path. "Why do we gotta live in a volcano?"

"Just stop complaining."

They entered into a large, dome-shaped room. The ceiling was constructed of flowing magma that shimmered with the chakra that supported it. Buildings made of ashy black rock emerged out of the floor. A large, pure black palace shot up in the center of this room. The streets that separated the buildings were quiet and bare, except for an occasional wandering child or stray dog. The Village Hidden in the Embers.

Invisible Pawn

Yukimaru headed towards the nearest Mission Outpost. There, Yukimaru was to act as if an intermediate picking up a mission for a master. However, this mission would actually be for the Neko Ninja of the super-secret-rumored-and-mysterious Nekomata Village. Yukimaru was so excited to be able to preform this task.

Yukimaru had the all the paperwork needed so that the individuals running the Mission Outpost would know why a very unusually cat was there. It was rather convenient for the neko ninja to pose as couriers. They could receive missions, and payment for said missions, without anyone ever realizing their true ability. It was an ideal situation.

The trip would still take a couple of days by foot. Caution would be necessary, since the path cut through a forest filled with wild animals.

((love the avie assistant GM, you've noticed I've changed into by Tsunade outfit eh?))
(( yay! we finally start!! is it ok if i do it in 1st person? from the eyes of Kimiko.))
A FEW DAYS AGO....

something sweet went into my mouth. i chewed it, but found it was vary hard, like rock. i opened my eyes, and spit out the rock-like candy onto my bed. it was a jawbreaker.
"NEE-SAN!!" i shouted at the teenager with long black hair standing at the door. im my anger, i threw a pillow at her. she sidestepped, and it landed on the wooden floor with a thud.
"That's the only way to wake you up." she said, smugly. "c'mon. new mission for both of us. let's go." i grumbled out of bed lazily, and grabbed my headband from my nightstand. i picked up my rice hat from the post near the door, and me and my sister walked out into the busy streets of Saru-ken, or the Village Hidden in the Trees. i put on my rice hat, and tipped the rim downwards in order to hide my eyes.
"Where to, Hikari?" i mumbled, walking close behind her.
"apparently, we just need to wait near the exit of the town, and a 'Friend' will tell us of our mission." she said, shrugging. i hate these kinds of missions.. i thought, looking at the light blue sky grimly. "how many days will we be gone?" i asked.
"no more than 5." Hikari said plainly.
"you got supplies?" i asked, a depressive tone in my voice. my sister tapped a large backpack strapped on her back.
"ok, then." i sighed, gritting my teeth. i wasnt in the mood to go on missions. i just came back from one, and my wrist was still broken from the last mission i went on in Uma-ken. this is gonna be a looong day... i sighed, slowly walking behind my sister, as the exit of Saru-ken came nearer and nearer.
"Don't be like that." Hikari said, concerned. "think of these missions like another training session. you do want to be jounin, dont you?" i mumbled something that my sister couldn't hear. "WHAT?!" she yelled right in my ear.
"YES MA'AM!!" i shouted in my sister's face. she hit me hard on the back.
"That's the spirit!" she said, happily.
Arriving at the exit of the Village hidden in the trees, we found that no one was there. we sat down against one of the nearby trees, and picked an apple off one of the lower hanging branches. i chewed into my apple, and immediately spit it out. looking into it, i saw a small, green worm wiggling around inside the core. narrowing my eyes, i threw the apple behind me. i turned instead to my pocket, fishing around to find a small chocolate coin that had a sun (Mayu family symbol) imprint on it. i unwrapped it, and swallowed it in one bite.
[I wasn't quite sure where to start off, but here we go;]

‘I bet she’ll bring her friends back soon…’ came the idle thought of Kotori, as she casually waved and grinned to a leaving customer. The girl, early teens and civilian, waved eagerly back, her newly bandaged hand clear in view, as she wandered off.

As soon as she was out of sight, the fortune teller let out a sigh and subconsciously fixed her posture. ‘I don’t think I can handle much more of them today…’ The girl had been the third today, and if she brought her friends- no, not a pleasant thought.

This girl hadn’t done anything in particular to set this off, and that was sort of the point. Many girls her age were the same. They’d approach Kotori, with either shy nervous glances or mischievous fangirl glints in their eyes and then they would somehow ask her, usually after a five minute explanation, if they would end up with their crush.

It had amused Kotori for a while, but all she needed now was a gaggle of them, giggling and enjoying the best years of their lives! “So, so, do you see me and Haru? Together?” they’d ask, in wonder and amazement. It tore Kotori’s heart out to say no. But she wouldn’t let them work themselves up, only to be cast down.

So, with a concerned glance up, not baring to look into their eyes, she’d mutter something along the lines of; “Sometimes, when you’re young, you think you want something desperately, but when you get older you realize that you were mistaken…Life doesn’t always go the way you want…” This cliché lesson usually earned a scowl or a disappointed frown from the customers, but it was better from some random fortune teller’s mouth, than a broken heart from their beloved.

Thankfully, not all girls were like that. A good majority of them usually asked a variety of different things, particularly the kunoichi’s. While some of them still asked about the object of their affections, most of their questions were easier to answer like; “Will I become chuunin at the exam next month?” Even if she had to say no, she could always remind them that there was always next year.

This was why Kotori was currently sitting in the Village Hidden by the Embers. It had been hard to gain clearance to enter the village, particularly as she was slinging a crossbow on her back, but after a while they had finally let her enter the volcano village.

In retrospect, this was pretty pointless. The same as ever questions, but with a nasty stench of sulphur in the background. Also, it was warm. Very warm. Hot, in fact. The girl was glad that her robe was light; otherwise she wouldn’t be pretty sight. Still, she was sure the only thing that kept her from passing out was the round fan she was deftly swinging by her face. Kotori resisted slouching on her stall with an iron will, but it was slowly getting more tempting.

‘What time is it…?’ she thought, but the real question she wanted was more along the lines of; ‘How much longer am I here for…?’ There was no point wasting the pass she had got into the village, and she needed some customers. That was the most important, so she remained alert.

As she carefully suppressed a yawn, Kotori saw something hopeful. Youngish ninjas, returned from a mission or something. They had money from their missions; hopefully they’d be willing to spend a bit? She straightened herself up, and tried to look as approachable as possible. Yes, the sign was visible, and the stall looked clean. She grinned at the ninjas, hoping to catch one of their eyes.

Once you had eye contact, you were harder to ignore.
Wouldn't mind if I bump this thread? Bump!
(I take it those youngish ninjas were Kamen and Kenshiki... alright then.)

Kamen and Kenshiki wandered through the depressing ashy-black buildings. The only sound that fell upon their ears where those of their own footsteps.

Kamen took a deep breath, but then exploded in a fit of coughs. "Ack... soot... Why of all places did our ancestors pick this place? No clean air, no sunlight, no plants..."

"Can you go through one day without complaining about the village? If you hate it so much, why don't you just take your chances and leave?"

Kenshiki's comment was ignored. Kamen sighed and continued trudging through the alleys. Suddenly, Kenshiki stopped.

"What's wrong Kenshiki?" Kamen looked where he was staring. A girl about Kamen's age was sitting at a stall. She looked out of place among the gray and dark of the buildings around her, and she seemed to be staring at them.

After a moment, Kamen finally whispered, "An outsider?"

"Probably. Odd, not many outsiders know of this place, much less get inside."

Kamen glanced at the sign posted by the stall. "Fortune telling?"

"Ignore it... It's just a way to make a quick buck. They usually just tell you what you want to know and take your money." Kenshiki started to walk away.

"No, wait." Kamen grabbed his shoulder. "It looks fun. And... I... uh..."

Kenshiki jerked away from her. "Forget it. I'm not stopping for that."

"Fine. Then just keep going. I'll be back soon."

Kenshiki shook his head and walked away. "Stubborn..."

Kamen groaned and turned towards the stall. She quickly put on a smile and stepped forward.
we waited at the entrance for about 2 or 3 hours or so. finally, my sister sighed in frustration, and got up. "since i went through the trouble of packing our bags, and no one's coming, let's go on a field trip." she said happily, brushing back her long black hair.
"where to, nee-san?" i asked, curious, and cocking my head to the side.
"you choose!" she said, pointing her pointer finger at me. i thought for a moment, looking up at the sky.
"Ember village?" i said, after some thought.
"let's go!" my sister said, pointing into the deep forest that lay ahead of us. i got up, and cocked my head to the side
"why?" i asked.
"when's the last time we've had a vacation?" she asked, jokingly. i thought for a second.
"never." i said.
"then, let's go!" she said, hoisting me to my feet by my collar.
"what about the shop?" i asked, holding my sister back in order to prevent her from galloping into the woods. Hikari stopped, and turned around.
"wait right here!" she said, putting down her heavy backpack. she ran back into the village, and returned a few minutes later with her money purse.
"i closed the shop for a few days." she said, grabbing her backpack. "now, let's go?" i didnt know what to say, so i shrugged. "good answer!" she said, happily. i sighed. this really will be a long day. i thought. i looked at the sky one more time, and trudged behind my sister into the huge and treacherous woods that surrounded our village.
Yesterday, noonish

User Image
Click.

"... Good move." Click.

"Yes, I know. It was the winning move." Click.

"You're pretty confident." Click.

"Be respectful to your elders, little girl... ... I win." Click

"..."

"Do you have nothing to say?"

"You may have won this battle, but you will not win the war."

"I think I've won that too, as the score is sixty to zero."

"Fifty-nine to zero, Sensei."
Tomoe stood up from her cushion, and pushed her arms up to the sky, stretching. The game had gone on for about forty-five minutes give or take a few. Too long to be sitting that position as far as she was concerned. Truthfully, she didn’t have the patience for it, unlike her Master. Tomoe looked around, wanting to make sure her neck got a good stretch in too.

They had seated their game area on her Master’s long porch, where they could overlook his courtyard scenery, and see the clouds in their many shapes. So far, the day had been very enjoyable, with the occasional breeze. She sighed, stepping off the porch and into her black tabi. The game was over, as she saw it, no point in sitting when she could be training. Once finished with her shoes, she stood, reaching back onto the porch for her bokken. “I‘m going to train, Sensei.”

“Hmm… I‘d wait a bit if I were you.”

“Why, sensei?” Tomoe cocked her head to the side, eyes locked on her master in curiosity. What did the old fart want her to hang around for? He was usually a stickler for ‘train train eat train train train sleep TRAIN!’ motto. Yes, that does mean only one meal a day.

“Komoto sensei, excuse my intrusion.” A middle aged Samurai had appeared at the rickety old fence, head bowed respectfully. Then he looked up, showing how scarred his face was.

”Good afternoon.” Tomoe did a half assed bow, barely moving he neck to her better. The sight of this made her Master sigh audibly. Just in order to please him, she bowed like a ‘woman should’. Bunch of misogynist arses-

”I have been sent to retrieve Tomoe Kohai- It seems your requests to the Ryuukken have gotten through, Sensei.” The man’s attention turned to Tomoe’s master, eyes narrowed.

”So they will use Tomoe, and allow her to get field time with other Samurai?”

”Yes. I have been sent to retrieve her.”

“Woderful. Tomoe, go. Send me updates through the parrot.” The Master gave a light chuckle, as he laid back on the wood, and put his hands behind his head. He sighed, now watching the clouds contently.
Obviously, he was looking forward to the break. And he was not taking any sort of argument from his pupil.

”… Will I get paid?” Tomoe thought she’d ask, as she wasn’t getting a choice in the matter. She started towards the Samurai who had come for her, eyes directly on his with a proud, yet rather nasty, glare. He didn’t cower, but his face said clearly he didn’t approve of the situation.

“Nope. Free labour.” Cheery master.

“Lucky me.…”

“You’re too troublesome… Think of it as making connections, for when you are a teacher yourself, and looking for a job. Bai bai.” This statement was followed by another sigh from her Sensei.

[Well, I did try at decent beginning... I hope it's not too horrible, especially considering it's lateness.]

Invisible Pawn

(pretty good. since HD's not on at the moment, we'll just play here. lol this is where everyone's at anyway)

Yukimaru successfully retrieved a top secret mission for the Mission Outpost. It would be their best assignment ever. Yukimaru wasn't allowed to read it, but it seemed like a very important mission. It might be A or even S-ranked! Whatever was in the letter written by the Nekokaze, must have been very convincing!

Unfortunately, Yukimaru had to make a detour on the way back to Nekomata. A pack of hungry wolves drove the young neko ninja off course. Yukimaru escaped, but was rather lost.

It also was a bit unsettling to be passing by a volcano.

Yukimaru was tired...exhausted. Yukimaru had very little to eat. If only there was a village or a merchant or something nearby. Someone who would feel sorry for the poor little kitty. Of course, that would be hard to do with the sunglasses and weapons.

Fortunately, there was a way to fix that. Yukimaru had a Scroll of Holding hidden in its fur. With the right paw signs and a bit of tongue (yah, they lick stuff instead of using their blood) ~POOF~, Yukimaru looked like an ordinary white cat.

Of course, a simple transformation jutsu would have had about the same effect....
TODAY...

"OH MY GOSH!!" i gasped, pointing at a huge volcano that stood in our way. Hikari nodded.
"the entrance is really close now...." she said, walking through the black, sooty mountain ash. i felt something gritty between my toes, so i looked down.
"AH!" i shrieked, shaking my feet wildly. "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!?"
"mountain ash." said my sister calmly. "i remember it from the last time i went on mission here.... not a very pleasant place, but it's nice if it's your first time." we walked up a small slope that led to the foot of the mountain. i looked up at the sky, and expected to see clear blue sky staring back at me. instead, i was greeted with black clouds, and not a small bit of sunlight to be seen. i shivered, and followed my sister.
about 2 hours of hiking passed, and we finally found ourselves at a large, stone gateway carved into the mountain. my mouth dropped, and we walked right in, weary from the hours of hiking. looking around, i saw no one on the streets, and the buildings were a sooty black, unlike the comfortable, wooden cottages we had at home. the street was lined with small shops, most of them empty. i looked in horror at my surroundings.
"this is not what i was expecting at all...." i whispered, looking at the dead street, and the sooty ground. my sister sneezed. i forgot... i thought. sister has allergies... poor thing..
we walked for a short while, and we came to a small fortune telling booth.
"excuse me." my sister asked, walking into the small booth. we saw a girl with purple hair was working there at the moment. "we are kind of lost.... is there any place we can stay? any inn, or hotel of some sort?"
Kotori quickly glanced over the newcomers, with a small grin. She laid her fan down carefully on the wooden surface.

The first was clearly a local, just by her attitude to the surroundings. The pair, ‘Siblings?’, were clearly not local, their headbands proved that. Also, they was lost and looking for an inn. Ahh, the irony that she asked Kotori for directions, when the local stood right next to her.

The fortune teller nodded to the first girl and began, “Welcome to Kotori’s stall of fortune!” She could have embellished it a little, adding huge flowing words to describe the amazing wonders that awaited her customers, like she had seen some other tellers do, but chose not to. They only usually worked on the younger bewildered ones, and of course, some of the tipsy ones. “If you could just wait a second...” Kotori didn’t want to come off as rude, so added this before she turned to the other girl.

She certainly looked travel worn. Both of the siblings did. “My apologies, but I’m not from around here...” Kotori thought that was pretty obvious, her outfit and appearance would look out of place in Tora-ken, but maybe not? Or maybe these girls were slightly-Ah, she shouldn’t be thinking this about people she’s just met! “But perhaps a local, like yourself, would know?” the teller looked at the lighter haired kunoichi.
a lightbulb went off in my head.
"You're a fortune teller, right?" i asked the girl running the stall. "do you only tell the future, or can you tell the past, too?"
"Kimiko!" my sister whispered angrily. "Don't waste your money on such stupid things!" she hit my cheek with the back of her hand.
"I'm curious!" i protested, rubbing the pink mark that suddenly appeared on my cheek. "I wanna know who killed mom and dad!"
Hikari's face turned pale.
"Yes, i am curious to know that, too. However, this is not the place to discuss family matters. Come on, Kimiko, we're leaving." she walked out of the stand.
"nee-san!" i whined.
"Now, Kimiko." my sister said, coming back in, and pulling me out by the ear.
"oww!!" i said, forced to follow my sister. i looked at the fortune teller. "I'll be back, Kotori! Be expecting me back soon!"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff