Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Citizen

17,050 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
gaia_star The Guide to Shiny Hunting! gaia_star

First of all, this is a guide! (more or less) It explains the Do's and Don'ts of chaining! Gives you a quick, and easy way to understand the rules of chaining and maybe why your chains are breaking!

I would like to welcome you to my guide on shiny hunting! This guide will explain how to use the Pokeradar; and how to get shiny pokemon using this method!

Before starting this guide there is a few things i am going to automatically assume that you have or know already, these are:

1. The Pokeradar is only available in Pokemon Pearl, Diamond and Platinum.

2. You already have the Pokeradar, and the Poketch app for chaining (app #20).

3. You know what "chaining" is, or having some knowledge of it.

4. You know what a "Shiny" Pokemon is.

Section 1: What's needed

Before starting, you need to have a few things with you, this will be listed below:

1. Max Repels, Preferably around 150 - 200 minimum.

2. Pokemon capable of fainting what you're chaining with one hit. Basically higher level pokemon.

3. Pokeballs (obviously) I recommend Quick balls; and Repeat balls.

4. Make sure you have patience, and persistence, it may take some time!

Section 2: Rules, tips, tricks and explanation's

I will be honest, there are allot of rules and technicalities to chaining, however if you keep in mind everything I tell you, I guarantee you will get a shiny! I will use images to help with my explanations.

1. When chaining make sure you have a max repel active at all times! This prevents wild encounters and stops your chain from breaking!

2. "Resetting the Radar" refers to using the radar again; make sure the key item is registered. To reset the radar take 50 steps then use it again.
Please keep in mind this will NOT break your chain

3. Reset the radar by moving in a vertical or horizontal line! Never run around at random, you may accidentally run into a patch and break your chain! Also make sure there is at least one of the patches on-screen while resetting. If none are on-screen this will break your chain.

4. There are 3 types of patches, which I like to call Common, Rare and Shiny.
~ Common: shake very slowly
~ Rare: Shake quickly and vigorously
~ Shiny: Don't shake, and sparkle with 4 stars (This patch has a shiny pokemon in it!)

5. Always stick to the same patch! If you start chaining a pokemon in a common patch, then don't go into rare patches!

6.Some/different pokemon may appear more frequently depending on the patch you chain in.

7. No more than 4 Patches of grass will shake at any one time!

8. Never step directly upwards after using the radar, the area above your head is called a "blind spot" a patch may shake here! So stepping directly upwards may break your chain!

9. Never step in a patch that is next to a tree, sign, fence, object, persona/NPC or where there is no more grass in a direction, this has a high probability of breaking your chain!

This is by far one of the most important rules! I will be using an image to explain it better!

User Image

10. Okay, referring to the image above the yellow dots represent patches of grass that are shaking. The numbers show the best patch to go into (1 being the best, 4 is the worst).

This is worked out from a system I use. Only go into patches that are 4 spaces away in a vertical or horizontal direction! Look at the picture again, notice dot 1 is 1 step down, then 4 steps right? This is the best patch to step into, since it is 4 away in a horizontal direction.

Dot 2 is 3 steps to the left, then 3 steps down, this is the second best, it doesn't follow the rules, specifically it breaks rule #9! however it looks like a good patch at a glimpse, don't let the 3 by 3's fool you!

The third dot also looks like its in a good position, but remember looks can fool you!

Dot number 4 is directly above you in the blind spot! The chances are you didn't even see this one shake, never step directly up as this will most probably break your chain!

So remember to keep in mind the patch has to be 4 steps Vertically or Horizontally from where you are standing at the time of resetting the radar!

11. Shiny patches will never break your chain upon entering them, however if the patch is on an edge, then there is a possibility that your chain will break, of course you will still get your shiny, but if you're looking for a set amount; then you will have to restart your chain again.

12. The poketch app is your best friend! It records your top 3 chains! (As shown below):

User Image

13. Not only that but the app also keeps track of your current chain! A handy tip to know if your chain has broke before the battle begins is looking at the app. If the image of your currently chained pokemon disappears, this means it has broke.

User Image

14. Chain till you hit 40 pokemon then start resting for a shiny. Why you ask? This is simple, pokemon have a rate in which they show up as shiny, this is 1/8192. However, if your chain is 2 it changes it to 2/8192. That is the equivalent to 1/4096. If your chain is 40 this ups the rate to 1/204.08!! That's the chance you will have to encounter a shiny pokemon! Not only that but the rate will never increase any higher than 1/204.08, so there is no point in going higher than a chain of 40.

15. When you start shiny hunting it's always a good idea to only carry 5 pokemon with you, this lets you catch one of the pokemon you're chaining, enabling you to see its move set and PP. This is important since you can determine whether sad the pokemon has moves such as, roar/teleport/whirlwind/self destruct or explosion. Even moves that make it suffer recoil damage can be costly at times.

16. Pokemon moves and abilities can play a very important part in shiny hunting, here are a few that can help when your pokemon with the ability is leading the party:
~ Static: Increase electric type pokemon encounters by 50%
~ Magnet pull: Increases steel type encounters by 150% of their original encounter rate.
~ Cute charm: Increases the chance of getting a pokemon of the opposing gender.
~ Damp: Stops pokemon using moves such as explosion and self desruct.
~ Soundproof: This gives the pokemon full immunity to sound based moves.

17. if you're chaining a pokémon that has Take Down or Double Edge, be sure to take a ghost pokémon with you or put the shiny to sleep before it can kill itself.
Also be careful in sandstorms and hail if the pokémon you're chaining isn't resistant to it. Or use Sunny Day or Rain Dance in battle with a shiny.

18. Also False Swipe is a move that leaves the pokémon on 1HP, however only use this if you know the pokemon won't suffer from environmental effects (such as a Sandstorm or Hail) or has any moves which make it suffer from recoil damage( Double-Edge or Take Down). This works extremely well when chaining low level pokemon if your party consists of high leveled ones.

Honestly I hope this guide served as being of valuable use to some people. I will admit it is still a work in progress. However; I will try to get more information on here as possible. Also one last thing, its best to start out small and practice chaining, so try going for a pokemon on route 202 and use the grassy are shown in one of the pictures above! Also my youtube channel has videos, which may seem helpful if you want to check them out! my username is at the bottom.

If there is anything specific you would like to know, just ask me!

Thank you for taking the time to read my guide
Much Love,

Smithey8 (Chaining name, and youtube name)

Also a special thanks to "Ditto Blob, Justicecream and ikyo-kun" for supplying me with some of the information!

Generous Citizen

17,050 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500

Generous Citizen

17,050 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500

Generous Citizen

17,050 Points