Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think?

I like it 0.375 37.5% [ 3 ]
It's okay 0.25 25.0% [ 2 ]
It needs a lot of work 0.375 37.5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]

Alright, so I think most everyone here knows the drill. I'm looking for comments and critiques, any helpful input on improving the piece. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance to all those who take the time to read and respond. Your help is greatly appreciated. 3nodding

Time to Go

The ocean ferociously cascaded off the rocks to the left of the beach, swirling and twirling in a violent current below the towering Margaritas restaurant. The building's white plaster peeling from the daily bombardment of salty sea spray. The sun was nearing the horizon yet again, sinking little by little into an orange-blue fiasco of color. The ocean was constantly at war with itself, at least here on the Pacific side.

The waves had gotten smaller, the tide now out. All the surfers had disappeared and left the beach near empty save for a few small families that didn't challenge the current beyond knee height; watching their small children closely. The golden flecks that littered the beach, giving it the name Playa del Oro, now shimmered meekly in the orange toned light.

A young woman sat amongst the sand in one of the plain wooden chairs rented out by Margarita's bar. She had no intention of paying for it and the servers knew that. She wasn't one of the tourists from the all inclusive hotel across the street. Although her features screamed Gringa or Americana, in every way possible, she came to the beach with the local surfers, not with the obese American families. And her Spanish wasn't half bad either.

She emptied the ash from the bowl of her hookah, repacking it with fresh flavored tobacco. She watched as the small Mexican children splashed in the surf. Allowing the current to knock them from their feet and wash them onto the beach before they leapt up and ran back for the next wave.

That is kind of like life, she thought absently as she observed the children. We allow ourselves to be knocked down with such fervor that we don't even give ourselves time to assess the damages before diving back in, just to be tossed down to the ground again. We know we're going to get hurt, yet we keep going back and with higher hopes and expectations than ever before.

The gentle sea breeze picked up again, rattling the coconut trees on the boulevard above. She would have checked her watch, but she didn't carry one when she was in Mexico. She didn't feel the need to. When things got done, they got done, there was no need to worry about them.

She was well into month two of her “excursion.” She wasn't supposed to be in Mexico. She was supposed to be in Spain. Visiting the man she had thought she loved. But as he himself so gently put it “People grow apart, they fall out of love...” Thing was, she never really fell out of love, and she wasn't entirely convinced he had either. But needless to say her trip had been canceled. But before she had had time to assess the full damage, she had driven to Mexico with an amigo.

But things in that regard hadn't worked out entirely either. Her friend and her had parted ways. That was why she sat on a sandy beach overlooking the Pacific ocean, rather than in the dense crowds of Mexico City where he lived. She liked it better here anyway. It was hot, it was beautiful, and it was calm. All things that varied drastically from her cold northern homeland of Wisconsin.

The thing that pained her the most though, sitting on that beach, was not, for the first time, the regret of not going to Spain, but rather, the pain of knowing this paradise had to end. College was beginning again in little less then a month, and her mother kept finding miraculous ways to track her down and beg her to come home. She knew her mother needed her and that she needed her education. But at the moment, every reality, and every truth she'd ever been told in her life, felt empty and pointless. The structures that everyone gave to life seemed to evaporate.

But it was time. It was time to go back. It was time to abandon what made her so happy here. She took her last toke from the hookah and began dismantling it. She packed it back into her backpack. She gathered up her assorted things; pack of cigarette, beach towel, sunglasses, and began her climb up the winding steps nestled beneath Margarita's bar.

She reached the top and smiled as the servers waved goodbye for the day. She exited onto the boulevard. From here she could smell the horses across the street where Gama kept his calmer animals for the tourists. She had led a few of the trail rides this summer for him. She spoke English which was a bonus and wasn't too shabby at riding either. It was a fun ride, up the mountain, around the lagoon, and down along the beach for a canter. She would miss her little Patito, or Ducky, the horse she had ridden there. He was a sweetheart.

She turned past Margarita's and walked down to the building alongside it. The bar there, Bora's, was just opening as the last rays of sun were finally disappearing. The hammock outside lay empty and the surf lessons truck was parked out front. A man emerged from the building, leaning down slightly to kiss her gently on the forehead.

“Hola, mi amor,” he whispered sweetly. She could smell the salt water on his skin, his dark black hair glued to his forehead by sea water. He was more fish then man. She loved that about him. She was his girl for now, but she knew in all reality the only woman he would ever love was the ocean herself. Surfing was his life.

They entered the bar together and she deposited her bags on a chair. The bartender smiled at her as he arrange things for opening. She would miss so many people here, but she knew what she had to do. Her boy headed to the stage, helping his friends set up equipment for the band that would be playing that evening.

She slipped out of the bar and made her way to the street. She knew what she had to do. Even though tears were growing in her eyes. She reached the dilapidated pay phone and picked up the receiver with a heavy sigh, sliding her worn international phone card through its designated slot. Dialing the long string of digits. She waited. It rang. She inhaled and exhaled gently. Then came a familiar voice, and her resolve strengthened, a strong feeling of homesickness, several months in waiting, washed over her.

“Mom. I'm coming home.”

Edit: Feel free to comment and critique my other pieces as well. Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Love Letters, A Child's Realization, Where has my Pillow Gone?, and No Time for Fear
This is a wonderful story ^_^ I love your description! How it's not overwhelming like some people tend to do, but just enough to paint a good detailed picture of what's happening.

One question I have though, is did she go to Spain, and then to Mexico? Or did she never go to Spain and drive to Mexico instead? Exactly where she went and how she got there confused me a little bit, but that's a quick fix.

Also when you write you have a lot of short sentences that make it sound a little choppy at times. For example:
Quote:
She was well into month two of her “excursion.” She wasn't supposed to be in Mexico. She was supposed to be in Spain. Visiting the man she had thought she loved.

Most of the periods in this part could be commas, or some other punctuation depending on how you want it to sound. Although I understand that sometimes short sentences add effect but too many make it sound extremely choppy.

But it truly is a great short story! I'll have to make time to read some more of your work! ^_^
xXxRaindrops on RosesxXx
This is a wonderful story ^_^ I love your description! How it's not overwhelming like some people tend to do, but just enough to paint a good detailed picture of what's happening.

One question I have though, is did she go to Spain, and then to Mexico? Or did she never go to Spain and drive to Mexico instead? Exactly where she went and how she got there confused me a little bit, but that's a quick fix.

Also when you write you have a lot of short sentences that make it sound a little choppy at times. For example:
Quote:
She was well into month two of her “excursion.” She wasn't supposed to be in Mexico. She was supposed to be in Spain. Visiting the man she had thought she loved.

Most of the periods in this part could be commas, or some other punctuation depending on how you want it to sound. Although I understand that sometimes short sentences add effect but too many make it sound extremely choppy.

But it truly is a great short story! I'll have to make time to read some more of your work! ^_^

Thank you for your help! I'll try clarifying how it is that she came to Mexico. This is actually based loosely on a trip I myself took to Mexico. I had a boyfriend in Spain who dumped me. I had made plans to go to Spain for the second time to see him but we broke up so I got a refund on my plane ticket and used the money to runaway to Mexico for a few months instead. So I was trying to explain that but its kind of complicated, maybe I'll try simplifying it.

And I don't want to sound choppy, I'll try working on some of those sentences and see what I can do. 3nodding

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
You access your bank account.
You assess damage.

The only time you'd access damage is if you pick a scab off or something.
Firlodge_the_second
You access your bank account.
You assess damage.

The only time you'd access damage is if you pick a scab off or something.

Thank you. I'll fix that typo right away 3nodding
Jackie Tekila

Time to Go

The ocean ferociously cascaded off the rocks to the left of the beach, swirling and twirling in a violent current below the towering Margaritas

That needs and apostrophe

Jackie Tekila
restaurant.

Start a new paragraph

Jackie Tekila
The building's white plaster peeling from the daily bombardment of salty sea spray.

Either that's a very weird sentence fragment or a tense needs to be shifted.

Jackie Tekila
The sun was nearing the horizon yet again, sinking little by little into an orange-blue fiasco of color.

Start a new paragraph

Jackie Tekila
The ocean was constantly at war with itself, at least here on the Pacific side.

At least here on the Pacific side what?

Jackie Tekila
The waves had gotten smaller, the tide now out.

That should be 'the tide was out now.'

Jackie Tekila
All the surfers had disappeared and left the beach near

This should be 'nearly,' not near

Jackie Tekila
empty save for a few small families that didn't challenge the current beyond knee height;

'as they watched' in stead of a semicolon and 'watching'

Jackie Tekila
watching their small children closely.

Start a new paragraph

Jackie Tekila
The golden flecks that littered the beach, giving it the name Playa del Oro, now shimmered meekly in the orange toned light.

A young woman sat amongst the sand

I'm pretty sure you mean 'on' or 'near' the sand. I doubt she's half-buried.

Jackie Tekila
in one of the plain wooden chairs rented out by Margarita's bar. She had no intention of paying for it and the servers knew that. She wasn't one of the tourists from the all inclusive

hyphenate that

Jackie Tekila
hotel across the street. Although her features screamed Gringa or Americana,

ditch the comma

Jackie Tekila
in every way possible, she came to the beach with the local surfers, not with the obese American families. And her Spanish wasn't half bad either.

This last sentence seems amazingly incongruous. In fact, I don't even know what it means.

Jackie Tekila
She emptied the ash from the bowl of her hookah, repacking it with fresh flavored tobacco.

as opposed to fresh unflavored tobacco?

Why were we not told she was smoking form a hookah earlier?

Jackie Tekila
She watched as the small Mexican children splashed in the surf.

I thought you wanted the impression to be that the only ones still on the beach were tourists

Jackie Tekila
Allowing the current to knock them from their feet and wash them onto the beach before they leapt

it's spelled 'leaped'

Jackie Tekila
up and ran back for the next wave.

That is kind of like life, she thought absently as she observed the children. We allow ourselves to be knocked down with such fervor that we don't even give ourselves time to assess the damages before diving back in, just to be tossed down to the ground again. We know we're going to get hurt, yet we keep going back and with higher hopes and expectations than ever before.

This is a very nice sentiment, but I am a bit confused. Are the children getting hurt? What are their parents doing about this? Are they just being knocked down and the metaphor for life mentions getting hurt? How do those paralell if there's a difference in damage? It's seems like a strangled thought if the situation and the sentiment are radically different.

Jackie Tekila
The gentle sea breeze picked up again,

I've never actually known sea breeze to die before, and I've been to Mexican beaches. Perhaps this one's different?

Jackie Tekila
rattling the coconut trees on the boulevard above.

Um, I'm confused. I know you don't mean there's a flying boulevard in the air, but...I cna't htink of any other place it would be by that description.

Jackie Tekila
She would have checked her watch, but she didn't carry one when she was in Mexico. She didn't feel the need to. When things got done, they got done, there was no need to worry about them.

You may want to reword the first sentence. If there was no need, she wouldn't have checked her watch anyway.

Jackie Tekila
She was well into month two of her “excursion.”

single quotes

Jackie Tekila
She wasn't supposed to be in Mexico.

Then why is she here and why has she been in it for two months?

Jackie Tekila
She was supposed to be in Spain.

Uh... I think you confused your readers. Your character is nonchalantly lost on the wrong side of a continent, let alone the wrong side of an ocean. This should be important, but the paragraph is treating it as if it's not and readers are wondering if this is a narrative of a flunked game of Carmen Sandiego.

Jackie Tekila
Visiting the man she had thought she loved. But as he himself so gently put it “People grow apart, they fall out of love...”

You want to double space here. You're starting a new sentence (this does not appear properly spaced, though it may be or it maybe the fault of a program not aligning things well here )

Jackie Tekila
Thing was, she never really fell out of love, and she wasn't entirely convinced he had either.

She seems pretty calm that her lover is emotionally confused about ending their relationship

Jackie Tekila
But needless to say her trip had been canceled. But before she had had time to assess the full damage, she had driven to Mexico with an amigo.

Should we know about the amigo? Shouldn't we know this earlier? Shouldn't that word be italicized? Where'd the amigo go?

Jackie Tekila
But things in that regard hadn't worked out entirely either. Her friend and her had parted ways.

This sounds important. Should we know about this?

Jackie Tekila
That was why she sat on a sandy beach overlooking the Pacific ocean, rather than in the dense crowds of Mexico City where he lived. She liked it better here. anyway

She doesn't seem very upset that she lost a friend.

Jackie Tekila
It was hot, it was beautiful, and it was calm.

comma, not period

Jackie Tekila
All things that varied drastically from her cold northern homeland of Wisconsin.

The thing that pained her the most though, sitting on that beach, was not, for the first time, the regret of not going to Spain, but rather,

All the other commas look fine. Ditch this one.

Jackie Tekila
the pain of knowing this paradise had to end. College was beginning again in little

'a little'

Jackie Tekila
less then a month,

That comma does not belong

Jackie Tekila
and her mother kept finding miraculous ways to track her down and beg her to come home. She knew her mother needed her and that she needed her education. But at the moment, every reality, and every truth she'd ever been told in her life, felt empty and pointless. The structures that everyone gave to life seemed to evaporate.

But it was time.

Add 'now' or it sounds like your blaming a dimension

Jackie Tekila
It was time to go back. It was time to abandon what made her so happy here.

'here' is superfluous. In fact, it ruins the sentence since 'here' is what makes her happy.

Jackie Tekila
She took her last toke from the hookah and began dismantling it.

I think this sentence is missing a 'then.' I don't know how she cna take a toke when she's taking it apart.

Jackie Tekila
She packed it back into her backpack. She gathered up her assorted things; pack of cigarette,

Packs contain more than just one cigarette.

Jackie Tekila
beach towel,

insert the word 'and' before the word 'sunglasses'

Jackie Tekila
sunglasses, and began her climb up the winding steps nestled beneath Margarita's bar.

She reached the top and smiled as the servers waved goodbye for the day.

End this sentence at either 'waved' or 'goodbye.'

Jackie Tekila
She exited onto the boulevard. From here she could smell the horses across the street where Gama kept his calmer animals for the tourists.

Um, ew. This is not a happy thought if you've smelled horse stables.

Jackie Tekila
She had led a few of the trail rides this summer for him.

I doubt it. They don't let random tourists, even ones who have been here for two months do stuff like that.

Jackie Tekila
She spoke English which was a bonus and wasn't too shabby at riding either. It was a fun ride, up the mountain, around the lagoon,

everywhere else has a name, why don't the mountain and the lagoon?

Jackie Tekila
and down along the beach for a canter.

I think the horses would be too tired to canter by then

Jackie Tekila
She would miss her little Patito, or Ducky, the horse she had ridden there. He was a sweetheart.

So what's Patito like?

Jackie Tekila
She turned past Margarita's and walked down to the building alongside it. The bar there, Bora's,

'Bora's, the bar there,'

Jackie Tekila
was just opening as the last rays of sun were finally disappearing. The hammock outside lay empty and the surf lessons truck

Is 'surf lesson' an adjective I've never seen before, or is it a title which needs italicization?

Jackie Tekila
was parked out front. A man emerged from the building, leaning down slightly to kiss her gently on the forehead.

“Hola, mi amor,” he whispered sweetly. She could smell the salt water on his skin, his dark black hair glued to his forehead by sea water.

Run-on sentence. It's made of two separate thoughts anyway, so it should be two sentences

Jackie Tekila
He was more fish then man.

I don't think 'being wet' is the only qualification to be fish-like. In fact, he's just damp,, so I don't see any resemblance to a fish with this guy.

Jackie Tekila
She loved that about him. She was his girl for now, but she knew in all reality the only woman he would ever love was the ocean herself. Surfing was his life.

Fish don't surf

Jackie Tekila
They entered the bar together and she deposited her bags

I thought she only had one bag

Jackie Tekila
on a chair. The bartender smiled at her as he arrange

wrong tense. 'arranged'

Jackie Tekila
things for opening.

The phrasing of this sentence implies he's going to open the things, not the bar

Jackie Tekila
She would miss so many people here, but she knew what she had to do. Her boy

given that she's in college, I hope this changes to 'man.' I'm pretty sure Mexico has laws against dating kids, especially for tourists

Jackie Tekila
headed to the stage, helping his friends set up equipment for the band that would be playing that evening.

She slipped out of the bar and made her way to the street. She knew what she had to do. Even though tears were growing in her eyes. She reached the dilapidated pay phone and picked up the receiver with a heavy sigh, sliding her worn international phone card through its designated slot. Dialing the long string of digits. She waited. It rang. She inhaled and exhaled gently. Then came a familiar voice, and her resolve strengthened, a strong feeling of homesickness, several months in waiting, washed over her.

“Mom. I'm coming home.”

The end leaves a lot of confusion. I know she liked the place and got a sense of philosophy form it, but I don't feel its enough to call home crying.

The crying into the pay phone bit came out of left field for me. The whole story is a calm, relaxing tale--albeit hard to beleive given how easily she integrated into Mexican society-- that was clam all the way through and then the main character runs off sobbing and what she's doing is obviously really important, but all we get is a non-sequitor bit of dialog and the end of the story.

The sequence doesn't flow either. It was jarring to read. I thought I missed something or that I was reading an entirely different post.

Why is she crying when she nonchalantly decided 'yeah, I gotta go back?' The decision in the middle of the story does not match up with the action later and what happens in between does not warrant it.

Sorry if I seem to be ragging on about one single detail, but that's the major things that happened in the story, since the rest of the action was wandering around and thinking about things.
I really see nothing wrong with it. I don't have the best grammer so if you messed up well I probably make all the same mistakes as well. But I did want to comment that it was a very wonderfully written peice. The details were fantastic, I love how you slipped just a tad of spanish in here and there. Not to mention how you described the beach it sounded very romantic. I laughed when you mentioned she was from WI I live there myself, and like her would much prefer being in the warmer weather. Overall very good write, I hope you get better critiques then I can offer. Good luck smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff