Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Hello and welcome. I am currently co-authoring a book with a friend. We are closing in on being 1/4 of the way finished and we are ready to start getting some real feedback from readers in our target market, ages 13-25 - 'Young Adult'. Please read on if you think you'd be interested in participating in a readers panel for this book.

User Image

What we're looking for:

A small group of people (5-10) willing to read through what we have and what we will write in the future. This will be a long term 'job', but hopefully enjoyable. We'd like to get feedback on if you like it, what you feel about the characters, etc. We're not necessarily looking for someone to point out sentences they don't like so much as if they're enjoying the book, or not enjoying it. You will need to say why, e.g 'I like this character because ___' or 'I think this scene is out of character because ___'. A general 'I like it' will not really give us insight into what's working or what's not working.

Book Summary

Birchwood, Idaho doesn't warrant much interest for anyone who needs more than an elevator ride to get them excited. Moving to Birchwood was just another disappointment in a string of failed attempts to make life better. Logan and his father have been traveling the country and bouncing from job to job for months now and Logan knew the routine by heart. However, there's one thing about Birchwood that isn't fitting the routine. A paranormal fanatic, likely destined to someday work for a trashy black and white conspiracy magazine, begins to take an unhealthy interest in Logan. The trouble is, he just might be on to something...

-----

MFCT is primarily a story about two boys who become friends. Both characters are strange in their own way, and a part of the adventure is discovering where Logan is from, his family's past, and even what he is. Through the course of the book the boys become good friends, and eventually take a romantic interest in each other. Romance however is far from the main theme of this story. Genre: Fiction

Writing Samples

Logan's smirk faded as he caught sight of the shoes. Edwin's self control gave in and he finally did start squirming on his milk crate chair. The shoes in question were still dirty, just like he'd found them in the field. Covered in little clumps of dirt and mud, safely encased in a shield of clear plastic ziplock. Logan's frown averted itself and his face melted into a neutral, calm expression. He shrugged, as if it was nothing.

"Just something I like to do," he answered. Edwin caught the slightly frosty edge to his words, and felt a little guilty for digging up the shoes. What if they had some sort of cultural significance to his people? What if he'd interrupted some sort of important ceremony or ritual? Well, it wasn't like he'd done it on purpose, and it was all in the name of research. The truth couldn't wait to be polite.

"'Kay..." Edwin gnawed at his lower lip, looking at Logan nervously. He needed to get back on his good side before asking any more real questions, otherwise he'd just get stonewalled. "What's your favorite kind of meat?"

"Well... I like meatloaf and roast beef."

Edwin nodded enthusiastically, jotting the foods down. Perhaps he could get his mother to make roast beef sandwiches in the future and he could trade it for the name of Logan's home planet. "And are you allergic to anything? You know, steak sauce, mayonnaise, garlic, silver, holy water...?"

Logan stared at him blankly for a few long seconds and Edwin stared back expectantly. They were legitimate questions. He didn't want to accidentally kill Logan by putting mustard and garlic on his roast beef sandwich. How was he supposed to know what Logan was allergic to when he didn't even know what species he was?

"Uh... No, not allergic to anything."

"Fantastic!" Edwin replied excitedly. He took a nosedive back into his lists, scribbling things down furiously with his pen. "That really narrows things down- Well, not really, but you know it rules out some of the more conventional possibilities." Edwin nodded firmly and then sat back, looking at Logan.

"So, Logan, how do you feel about heights?"
Application:
How old are you?
What is your favorite genre?
What is your least favorite genre?
What is your favorite book?
What is the last book you read?
What is your writing pet peeve?
Why do you want to be on our Panel?
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules?

Copy and paste the whole code into your post or PM
[b]How old are you? [/b]
[b]What is your favorite genre? [/b]
[b]What is your least favorite genre? [/b]
[b]What is your favorite book? [/b]
[b]What is the last book you read? [/b]
[b]What is your writing pet peeve? [/b]
[b]Why do you want to be on our Panel?[/b]
[b]Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? [/b]

If you are interested in participating in our readers panel, please fill out the application, and either post it here or send it to us in PM.
Betas. Gotcha.

*conspiratorial whisper* In complete honesty, I don't really think Gaia's the best place to look.
Jasper Riddle
Betas. Gotcha.

*conspiratorial whisper* In complete honesty, I don't really think Gaia's the best place to look.

We have a professional writers circle that we go to for professional advice.
What we are looking for now is people who are in our actual target market.
We don't need writing tips. We need peoples' impressions on the book.
Jasper Riddle
Betas. Gotcha.

*with the voice of a drill sergeant* I HAVE TO AGREE!
Jasper Riddle
Betas. Gotcha.

Mm, I suppose it's how you look at it. Gaia holds a lot of our target YA market, so I think it will have some benefits. -conspiratorial whisper back- We're also on places like Critique Circle which is more about the technical aspect of our writing, so we've got our bases covered = )
I'm beginning to wonder why we're getting so much discouragement.
All we are looking for is people who read books.
I'm pretty sure there are people here who read books.
Just Froggy
Well, you have to understand that the internet may as well be one of the largest congregation of idiots I've seen since the Graphic novel club of mine tried to learn Japanese. And this idiocy, in my opinion, isn't restricted to just Gaia.

Nonetheless, I'm just bored enough to consider doing this. Also, I have a history essay to write.

How old are you? I am sixteen going on seventeen. Fellows will fall in line...
What is your favorite genre? Crime mystery.
What is your least favorite genre? Fantasy.
What is your favorite book? James Patterson's Violets are Blue and Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.
What is the last book you read? Well, if you want to be technical, Huck Finn.
What is your writing pet peeve? The phrases "in conclusion" to end an essay; "ironically" as a sentence adverb in creative writing narration.
Why do you want to be on our Panel? I'm bored.
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? I'm not particularly known for playing by the rules.
Special Agent Nishin
Just Froggy
Well, you have to understand that the internet may as well be one of the largest congregation of idiots I've seen since the Graphic novel club of mine tried to learn Japanese. And this idiocy, in my opinion, isn't restricted to just Gaia.

Nonetheless, I'm just bored enough to consider doing this. Also, I have a history essay to write.

How old are you? I am sixteen going on seventeen. Fellows will fall in line...
What is your favorite genre? Crime mystery.
What is your least favorite genre? Fantasy.
What is your favorite book? James Patterson's Violets are Blue and Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.
What is the last book you read? Well, if you want to be technical, Huck Finn.
What is your writing pet peeve? The phrases "in conclusion" to end an essay; "ironically" as a sentence adverb in creative writing narration.
Why do you want to be on our Panel? I'm bored.
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? I'm not particularly known for playing by the rules.

We're aware of the average intelligence of people on the internet. However, as long as the person is smart enough to read a book, they are in our target market. We aren't particularly worried about how intelligent they are.

There's nothing we need you to do today. What we plan to do once we have a small group is create a guild where chapters will be posted and members will be able to read and leave comments. There won't be an entry fee or anything. Actually, we've been considering paying people gold as an incentive to leave quality reviews.

As for the rules, basically all that really matters is that you agree that you won't steal from us or share our work with others. Can you agree to that much?
How old are you? 18
What is your favorite genre? Anything that falls under the realm of Fiction
What is your least favorite genre? Auto-Biographies
What is your favorite book? Beauty: A retelling of Beauty and The Beast by Robin McKinley
What is the last book you read? I can't remember what I last read, but I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice.
What is your writing pet peeve? Not sure.
Why do you want to be on our Panel? I'm interested in just reading something
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? Yes
Thank you Angelkeeper = ) We'll be in touch.
How old are you? 15
What is your favorite genre? Horror/Suspense
What is your least favorite genre? Science fiction and/or badly done romance
What is your favorite book? And then there were none by Agatha Christie. and I hate to admit it, but Harry Potter. They converted me young.
What is the last book you read? Erm, I don't know. Right now I'm reading a tale of two cities.
What is your writing pet peeve? When a writer describes the character in the first paragraph of a novel.
Why do you want to be on our Panel?Because I liked the writing sample, i need I book to read, and it looks interesting.
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? Yes, gosh darnit!
Oh ho ho, who doesn't enjoy a badly done romance? xD

Thank you Karma, we'll be in touch.
How old are you? 19 and dangerously close to 20
What is your favorite genre? General Fiction, Fantasy
What is your least favorite genre? ...dry text book...that's a genre, right?
What is your favorite book? The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
What is the last book you read? White Noise by Don DeLillo
What is your writing pet peeve? Using the word 'orbs' to describe someone's eyes. Why oh why do so many people do that?
Why do you want to be on our Panel? The sample was entertaining and has me curious
Do you agree to abide by the writing panel rules? But of course!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff