Welcome to Gaia! ::

Your piece of opinion on the story so far?

Awesome! 0.5 50.0% [ 2 ]
Good, just some minor errors 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
OK 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Bad (If so, please tell me why!) 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
Too Boring/ Didn't Read 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]
1 2 3 >

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

About the Story

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ayo~ Thank you for visiting and reading this post. I'm writing a story called Maiden of War right now. I guess the audience would somewhere be from teens to young adults. I would like your opinions on the plot, whether it is confusing or boring, and the grammar or spelling. Just please don't attempt to change the plot though. Anyway, the genre for this is fantasy, action, romance, tragedy, some comedy and drama. I hope you guys would take it easy on me since I'm only in my very early teens. Hope you enjoy my story!

Summary

The summary shall be edited as the story progresses!

Notes:

Outside the story:
-Since Gaia doesn't allow me to indent, I break my rule and double spaced instead, which I'm totally not used to. For a more proper version, visit here. I also tend to update daily over there instead of weekly, so you get the story faster.

Inside the story:
-The currency in MOW is known as erixions. For more info, click here.

Rules:

-Please don't quote whole passages from first pages
-Please attempt to give helpful reviews
-Please follow the TOC
-Please be respectful
-When giving a review, please be specific!

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Prologue

Have I been asleep? Where am I? Who am I? I awoke to find myself on a battlefield, whose bodies have been rotting and what remains was only the skeleton of these poor men. These remains looked as if they have been there for a thousand year. But, that’s not what is odd, what was odd was how I got here. Another question arose was why am I here? There was endless of wandering thoughts in my head but the memory is a blur.

I started toward the forest but my legs were stiff. I tumbled and fell several times until I got the hang of it. The rays of sunlight were filtered through the trees. There were voices echoing in my head, but they were the screams of distress. My head felt numb as I went farther away from where I was. I could see a village in the distance. Suddenly, there was a figure before me. I couldn’t make out the details of this feminine figure as my vision started to blur. This seems unreal but I could see the shadows of what seemed to be her wings; it was great white wings. I could hear a song from her, which felt soft and comforting. I started feeling sleepy and mists began surrounding me.

The figure whispered to me as my senses started to fade, “It is not time yet…. You shall stay in that village until the day comes.”

My mind and body betrayed me and I collapsed into a deep sleep.

I awoke to find myself on something soft and comfy; unlike the forest. My vision was still hazy but it started clearing up after a while. I could finally identify on where I was; I was in a house. It was already dusk and I was quite confused as to how I arrived here since I recalled that I was in the woods. Strangely, I couldn’t remember anything except for the fact that I was in the middle of the forest. I couldn’t even remember how I got there or why I was there. It was queer but just then two silhouettes walked in. As they got closer, I could identify them with the help of the candle on the nightstand. The first one was an old, chubby lady with grey hair. The second one seems to be a young gentleman with short brown hair and a pair of green eyes; he was beautiful.

“You’re awake,” the old lady said, smiling, “how are you feeling?”

In my defensive instinct, I didn’t reply to the woman and she went on, “It’s not good for a beautiful young lady like you to be out in the woods alone. There can be some awful people out there.”

I still didn’t reply as I was suspicious. The young man seems to whisper something to the lady and my defensive instinct became even stronger. The lady mood seems to fell and I decided to finally say something.

“…What do you want from me.” I growled.

The man seems disturbed as he responded, “We helped you and this is what you give us in return? Have you got no shame on yourself?”

“Help? You’re just trying to convince me and then sell me!” My voice was raised more than I expected.

“You—” The man was interrupted by the lady as she stopped him. The man seems to be agitated at the interruption but the women seemed to be upset.

“I am sorry to make you think that way,” she said, in a gentle voice, “but we wish no harm on you.”

Somehow, my instinct told me that I could trust her. I decided to lower my defense but I still had suspicions.

“How do I know that I can trust you?”

“Well…” The old woman said, “let us tell our story on how we found you.”

They told me everything that happened and I asked plenty of questions to suck their facts out. Apparently, it was the lady who found me and the young man that carried me. Finally, I decided to trust them, but I had to verify my conclusion; I will observe them carefully.

“Oh my,” the women said, realizing how dark the room had become, “it’s already this late, you need to rest.”

The lady bowed to me and exits the room. The man followed after her and bid me good night, still seeming to be a little upset. It was a short day but I did felt tired. I then realize that I forgot to ask for the name of those two but right now, sleep comes first.

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Chapter 1

[In Progress]

It was another day in my village. My mom and I were stacking hay for our horse, Kyra. Well, actually, “mom” is not my real parent. She just happened to adopted me a year ago as I was in the woods. I had no idea why I was there. I could only remember waking up and seeing the curious animals looking at me from a distance, but I am grateful of this wonderful person.
Today breeze was strong, so I expected there is to be a storm. Dark clouds rolled over the skies as it blanket our village below.

“Mom, I think we should take a break,” I yelled, for she is becoming deaf, “a storm is coming!”

“What did you say?” Mom yelled back. Then, she realized the bundle of black clouds overhead, “Freya, a storm is coming!”

Geez! That’s what I just told mom, but I can’t blame her. We went inside as it started to pour. The winds were picking up and the trees were howling. Suddenly, the strings that were holding up the batches of hay snapped. These grasses started flying everywhere and we were not alone.

“There goes our hard work for today.” I mumbled.

“What,” mom yelled, “did you say something?”

“No, it’s nothing!”

In a joking manner, she said, “If you’re talking about the hay, I can see missy!” Although, this is true, she can see pretty well for her age.

The storm continued with a stronger force than ever. Not only did our hard work get thrown away, the other houses in the village were also devastated. The chickens were clinging to their dear life and the flowers were ripped out of their soil. Unfortunately, some livestock went flying and hitting the houses. Oh, it’s a good thing that we owned Kyra for she is too heavy to fly.

When the storm died, livestock and crops were everywhere. A lot of the animals that flew ended up dying. I went further toward the forest to help clean up and I found something; or rather someone. I wasn’t sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me or if this is a dream; but I was wide awake.

There lay a little boy, who was literally glowing. He has soft, wavy hair that seems to be white and fair pale skin. What’s extraordinary was that he had wings. It was the wings of an angel; white as snow and soft as cotton.

The boy was unconscious and bare. I didn’t know what to do but to stand there and blush. I could call for mom, but she will think I’m crazy. I decided to try to wake up the boy. The feeling of his skin was so delicate and soft, like a baby. After the third try, the little boy is finally awake. His lavender eyes were staring through my soul. He was beautiful.

I was kind of nervous, since I never spoke with anyone outside of my village before.

“H-hello...” I whispered.

The boy stared at me and replied, “Who are you?”

I guess I was a little ashamed of myself for expecting him to be mute. “...I’m Freya,” I started, “I am from that village over there and we’re in the Kingdom of Eris.”

The boy took out an old-looking piece of paper from nowhere and started examining it. “...Wrong,” he responded, “your name is Zorya.”

He shoved at me the paper on his hand and it has a picture of a girl who looks identical to me. Beneath the picture said “WANTED: Zorya Chesed” and it labeled the bounty of one million erixions.

“W-what?” I was confused.

“Apparently, you seem to have forgotten your past,” the boy sternly said, “but your real name is Zorya.”

It is true that I can’t remember anything from my past, but then, how could this boy knows? Is it true that my name was Zorya? I was bewildered and suddenly, a sharp pain went through my head. The pain was so intense that no word could have described the aching. It felt like a million knives was stabbing at my brain. At the same time, the name, Zorya, was echoing through my skull, as if someone was calling me. But nothing else seems to be a matter right now. All I want to do is escape from this torturing hell. My knees budged and before I knew it, I was on the ground, unconscious.

I woke up to find myself back at home, on my bed. The first person I saw was Gerwyn Anteros, who is my neighbor. He sighed as if a ton has been lifted off of him when he saw that I was conscious.

“Good thing you’re finally awake,” he scolded me, but there was a hint of relief in his voice, “I was worried when I heard you have collapsed!”

“Sorry to have worried you.” I smiled.

I wasn’t sure if it was just my imagination but he seems to have blushed. “I-it’s okay…” he stuttered, “but are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fin—” My knees buckled when I attempted to stand up.

Gerwyn rushed over to me, “You’re not fine!” He said, sounding worried, he hoisted me up back into the bed.

“…But I feel fine.”

“It doesn’t look like you’re fine in my eyes.” He scolded me; once again, “Now rests up until you’re strong enough to walk!”

Gerwyn left the room and I just laid there. I have no idea how long I had been unconscious, but I could see that it is evening now. It was dark in the room; the only light source was coming through the window from the moon. I decided to collect my thought on what has happened today but there was the intense pain again. It wasn’t as bad as the first one but it felt as if it was trying to prevent me from remembering something. The pain wouldn’t let me shut up; so a groan escaped from my lips. I hate this feeling of helplessness. The pain started to fade away and it left me a feeling. The feeling was like as if I was trapped in the darkness, with no one to hear me. I felt my eye watering up but it wouldn’t stop, no matter how much I blinked. The tears started rolling down my cheeks as I lie there. I ended up crying myself to sleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night to find mom sitting on the bedside, placing a warm towel over my forehead.

“…Mom?” I sat up, holding the towel on my head, “What are you doing here?”

Mom sighed at me, “Geez, I was worried, you know, collapsing in the middle of the woods like that.” She said, “Good thing that boy noticed you or you would have been left there!”

“That boy… oh! You mean Gerwyn?”

“Yes, you should thank him properly tomorrow! Now go back to sleep.”

“You too mom,” I said, “it’s not good for your health to stay up this late”

“Geez, you think I can stay up this late?” Mom nags at me, “I woke up in the middle of the night because I was worried about you!”

I smiled and I lie back down. Mom blew out the lantern on the nightstand and exits the room. Before I fade into my dreams, I whispered, “Thank you.”

By the time I woke up, it was already noon. I felt replenished and there was an appetizing smell in the air. I got out of bed and I realized the towel on my head had disappeared and my clothes were different from yesterday’s morning. I got thrown into a little panic on who changed my attire, but I ignored my curiosities. I decided to change into my usual outfit; which consist of a petticoat, stockings, a cap or bonnet, a corset, a gown, and an apron. Unfortunately, my only gown got filthy due to yesterday so I had nothing to wear. Laundry was something that was a duty of mine but it was a pain; it would take all day. I would have to walk to the nearest stream with the materials, then wash, and walk back home to hang up the clothes for them to dry. I had no choice though, I needed to do the laundry or else I won’t have my usual clothes to wear again tomorrow.

I totally forgot about that wonderful aroma that had filled up my room as I was lost in thoughts. “Was mom cooking?” I thought, but I was in doubt, “No… mom has to sell hays to the farmers as usual.”

I was curious and my mouth couldn’t resist the smell as it waters up. I decided to take a peek so I opened a small gap in my door but it squeaked. So much for trying to peek.

Apparently, it was Gerwyn, so he smiled at me and called out, “Oh! Good morning… or rather good afternoon now!”

“Good morning, Gerwyn,” I said as I looked over his shoulder, “I didn’t know you were such a good cook.”

“Hah…” he blushed, “this is pretty normal.”

“So, what are we having for ‘breakfast’?”

“Congee, or rice porridge, with banana,” Gerwyn said, “I figure it will help improve your health.”

“Rice?” I was bedazzled, “I don’t recall anyone growing rice in this town.”

He laughed, “No, but there are some rice growing near the stream.”

“Oh!” I said, suddenly remembering about the laundry, “I need to go to the stream later to do my laundry.”

“That explains why you’re in your chemise…” Gerwyn placed a bowl of congee that was topped with banana on the table, “but you need to eat up first.”

We both sat down, across from each other, and I started eating.

“This is delicious!” I exclaimed, “Aren’t you eating?”

He smiled at me and said, “I have ate earlier… but may I join you on your adventure?”

“Sure, but why?”

“Your laundry will finish earlier if we both do it, right?”

I smiled at him, “…Thank you.”

As I am finishing up my congee, Gerwyn decided to get the washing materials. I felt very grateful for what he has done; in fact, I felt like I am in debt to his kindness. I grabbed all the clothing that needed washing. I put on a bonnet and my winter cape to hide my chemise as it is quite embarrassing to walk around in public in this sort of fashion. We finally begin making our way to the stream using the usual path. Gerwyn hold the washing materials while I carried the clothes.

“So…” Gerwyn said, looking a little bit awkward, “it’s been a while since we get to talk like this.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” he hesitated, “we never really get the chance to be alone since we were always busy with our daily lives….”

“Oh….” I said, realizing that I didn’t know much about him, I changed the subject, “you seem to be really good with household works.”

“Really?”

I nodded, “you were really good with that cooking and you even gathered the rice from the plant.”

Gerwyn, seeming to be a little surprised, said, “How could you have guessed that I harvested the plants myself?”

I laughed as the expression on his face was priceless, “Well, it seems like you’re the only one that knows about the rice. Who else would have done it?”

“Hah,” Gerwyn snorted at me, “you sure have a brain.”

“Hey, that’s mean!”

“I’m just kidding!” He laughed and ran ahead.

I chased after him but we soon ended up running short on breath. We both decided to take a little break on a giant tree stump. It felt really nice with the breeze blowing by and the sunrays beaming at your face. We both remained silent for a while to take in our wonderful surroundings.

“…Remember the time when we first met?” I interrupted the silence.

“Oh yes,” Gerwyn replied, laughing awkwardly, “I wasn’t so fond of you back then.”

I laughed, “I guess it was the same for me.”

We both remained in an awkward silence for a while so I said, “Well… I think we should get going.”

Gerwyn agreed and we both set out on our journey again to the stream. We made it soon after and we started to set out the materials. We were quite focused on washing the clothes so there was a thin air of silence between us. We finished the laundry that would usually take a whole day. The sun was already beginning to end its course so we packed up and hurried home.

The forest around us was already dimming and the fog started to awaken from its sleep. Our visibility range began receding and it was getting chilly. It would be bad if the sun disappeared from the sky before we get home. I encourage Gerwyn to walk faster but I know how difficult it is to carry those materials. I asked him if he would like to trade with me but he refused. It was getting harder to see the path as the last rays were only peeking at us. Unfortunately, even with our effort, we were only halfway home. It was bad; it was real bad. We don’t know what dangers may lie out here nor do we know how to handle them. Now, it was completely dark. The only things I could see were the sky and the silhouettes around me.

“…Gerwyn,” I began to worry, “what should we do?”

“It’s too dark too see anything now…” Gerwyn responded.

It was scary to think what is waiting for us in the unknown. We were standing in the darkness, unsure of what to do. It was getting really chilly and I started shuddering. Gerwyn seems to place the laundry materials on the ground and wander off into the woods. I was curious yet worried about why he was going off into the forest. He was getting farther away from me and I lost him in the darkness. I called out to his name but he didn’t respond. I was scared and unsecure of what to as I stand there. Moments later, Gerwyn return with some sticks and twigs.

“Where did you go?” I asked as I was curious.

“I went to gather some dry wood so we can make a fire.” Gerwyn replied as he place the woods on the grass.

“How will we start the fire though,” I said, “neither of us has a match… right?”

He said, suggestively, “…We can try to find some flint and steel to start the fire.”

“I doubt there are any steel in this forest.”

We both remained silence for a while, standing there. We have now officially found the dead end to our solution. I stand there, feeling stupid for wanting to go to the stream in the first place. I knew that the washing would take a whole day but I still went ahead with my plans. I felt awful for having to put Gerwyn in this position with me.

Just then, I heard a rustle among the trees. I was on high alert and from what I could see, Gerwyn also seems to be wary of his surroundings. The rustling came again but this time, it came from the bushes. The noises didn’t sound like it was small. Gerwyn came up to me and held my hand as we stand next to each other. I gave him a slight squeeze to show my concern and he nods at me. We started to advance carefully; as if each step could be our last. I know that there was no such thing as a monster but I was starting to doubt in my beliefs since that incident with the boy. If that boy existed, anything could happen at this moment.

“…Do you believe in angels?” I whispered to Gerwyn.

“Of course not,” he replied, “they’re just fantasies.”

“What if I told you that I saw one yesterday?”

Gerwyn didn’t reply to this one. I tried to read his expressions for an answer but it was too dark. I was about to try to ask the question again but I was interrupted by a loud roar. What appeared in front of us was a giant silhouette. It was too big for an animal or a human; it was almost like a monster. It seems to have three horns on its head and the single golden eye was glowing in the dark. The monster held an uprooted tree in his arm with his well-built muscles. It was staring down at us, seeming to be quite pissed off.
Gerwyn ran up in front of me with some of the laundry materials, “Stay back, you monster!” He yelled.

I tried to stop Gerwyn but he wouldn’t back down. The monster was now obviously mad at us and I told him to run already but he didn’t. The beast started to lift the tree that was in his hand and I knew what was coming; I pushed Gerwyn aside before it manages to slam into us. We successfully avoid the first attack but we know we can’t avoid the second one since the monster already started lifting his tree up. I squeeze my eyes close and wait for my faith.

I waited and a few seconds passed by. Now, a few minutes have passed and nothing happened. I decided to open my eyes and I found the monster laying there, looking lifeless. I was confounded by the situation and Gerwyn seems surprised as he looks up. I followed the direction that he was looking at and I saw a slight gleam. The glowing seems to be coming closer to us and it was getting brighter. I couldn’t see clearly at that distant but it seems to be a bird. As it got closer, it seems that I was wrong; it wasn’t a bird, it was him.

Dust were flying everywhere thanks to the powerful wind from his wings. Some of the particles got into my eyes but I could tell that it was the boy from yesterday. He landed right in front of us, holding a giant bloody spear over his shoulder that is twice the size of him. The sight of the dripping red fluid caused me to feel an ache in my head. I soon started feeling dizzy and I collapsed to my knees. I held onto my head as the aching continues and Gerwyn rushes over to me.

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lonely Kitten

10,350 Points