Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which introduction do you think is better?

#1 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 1 ]
#2 0.42857142857143 42.9% [ 3 ]
I think they are both great. You should merge them together. 0.42857142857143 42.9% [ 3 ]
They both suck. Go get some writing skills. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 7 ]
This poll closed on August 16, 2009.
No longer accepting new votes.

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Hello, Fellow Gaian Readers!

My friend, Thanks for all the Fish42, and I are writing a novel together. We both wrote introductions and we want to know which you like better!

Anyway, here is a short description for the book:
Eric Coonts, an eighth grader, is haunted and tortured by the paranormal. The strangest and most cruel of the ghosts was a murderer that had gotten a death sentence. No one knows why the murderer chose to pick on Eric. Then, Eric meets Melanie Spring (a.k.a. Mel) and she is the only one who can see the paranormal.
As Eric is being taunted, Melanie and Eric start growing an unusual relationship.

Please make sure you vote!

I started to feel sick and dizzy, like the world was spinning-almost flying-around me. I was in the hallway, slowly walking towards the nearest garbage can. Almost there…so close…TOO LATE! I had already thrown up on the floor. I have no idea what there was to throw up, though, considering that I had not eaten anything all day. Oh, Gosh…it was coming back up again. This time I tried to run as fast as I can to the can, but of course, with my luck, I had to slip and fall into my own barf and throw up again. All of the students around me were laughing, except one--an average looking girl with blonde hair and brown eyes. Her name was unknown to me. She started coming towards me, she had a roll of paper towels in her hand. When, she was finally close to me, she grabbed my hand and pulled me up.

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Uh, not exactly. I think I need to go to the nurse,” I said.

“I think you should go do that. Wipe your face first and I’ll clean up the mess.” She handed me a beautifully scented paper towel.

I was off to the nurse’s office with my dirty, messed up clothing. The look on her face made me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. Only if she knew how I had felt. The nurse, Mrs. Font, took my temperature. It was a normal 98.6 degrees, which was strange. Mrs. Font was confused and started asking questions and giving me lectures.

“Mr. Eric, you’ve been coming in here a lot lately. Have you been eating regularly?”

“Not really.”

“And why not? Do you know what that does to your body if you’re not getting the vitamins and minerals you need?”

“Yes, I am aware, Mrs. Font. Not that it’s any of your business, but I don’t always have the time to eat. I come home from school, do my homework, and then, I work out right after. Then, I go straight to bed,” I answered back nastily.

“Excuse me? Instead of trying to get “pumped” or whatever, you should eat dinner! Don’t skip it all the time. You won’t even get the muscles you want unless you eat!”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever,” She was starting to get on my nerves.

“How many bottles of water do you drink a day?”

“Maybe like two or three.”

She walked to the mini-refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water. She almost shoved it in my face.

“Take this and drink it all now. You don’t want to get dehydrated. Go lie down for a bit,” I walked to the bed and once I lied down, I felt like someone punched me in the stomach.

“OWCH! WHAT THE…” The pain was torture and as the pain starting to ease, she walked in and held my hand.

I walked through the hallways, staring at my feet. I knew people were staring. I was wearing a shirt much too large for me, and pants that looked like capris. My converse sneakers flopped and splahsed for every step. They were a size 10, my brother's old pair. Of course, my brother had unusually large feet, and now wore a twelve, so what the heak, give the freakishly huge sneakers to the me, small thirteen year-old.

I thought that today would be a great day to enjoy the morning sunlight, and embrace the coming of Fall. When I had walked half a mile, a giant grey cloud had appeared from the horizon so that to make sure that Eric Coonts was soaked for the first day of school.

I took out his schedule, and looked for his homeroom. Ugh, he had Mr. Erbe. The few minutes that they would have to spend with him in homeroom, would probably ruin the whole day. I shrugged, and walked inside. My shoelaces must have untangled because of how wet they were, if that was possible, because the second I walked inside I face-planted on the disgusting floor of the Health classroom. The janitors always seemed to ignore this room because it smelled odd. I was lucky that onl a few students were there. Most of them were outside talking to missed friends that hadn't been able to visit. I didn't have any friends. There was nobody who would be wanting to "catch up" with me.

I sat in a random seat in the back of the class. A person I had never seen before was sitting next to me. She stared at me for a second, and then turned back to her book. I couldn't read the title.

"Um, whucha' reading?" I asked, trying to make some conversation.

"Horror," She said, simply.

"Huh," I looked on my desk. Why didn't I have a book to look at. Then I felt like an idiot. I didn't know why, though.

"It's about vampires," she added.

"Oh, so you're a Twilight fan..." I shrugged. I didn't really like the whole fad, but I was desperate. It certainly wasn't a time to be picky.

"No. That's an assumption."

"Oh. Sorry."

I stood up, and started my way to another desk. As I walked away I could feel the burn of her stares. I quickly turned around. She was looking at her book.

She looked up at me,"Are you trying to impress me or something?"

"Uh, no. No, I just thought you were...um, staring at me," Now I really felt like an idiot.

"Now why would I do that?" She asked. This time turning her head and squinting her eyes, suggesting that it was obvious. I was confused. I thought she hadn't stared at me.

"I don't know." I must have looked extremely confused. I was.

"Oh, don't you..." She looked back down to her book.

I turned around, completing the 360 degree turn. I went to the desk next to the one I had been sitting in. I began taking out the pencils out of my backpack. I had learned last year how to make a complex structure out of ten pencils. When I finished, there was no more satisfaction then when I started.

When is the bell going to ring?

I sat impatiently, tapping my fingers. Suddenly, the girl started staring at me. No, she was looking at the air around me. I was starting to think that she was a very odd person. I was surprised when she stood up, and sat in the desk next to mine.

"So you do not know?" She said.

"Know what?" I responded, feeling like I should know whatever it is.

"Oh, nothing," She put a friendly smile on, even though it was clearly fake. I thought that she would go back to her seat, but she didn't. She just sat there, seming to look over my head, out the window. Something was strange about the way she stared. She wasn't staring out the window at all, her eyes were focused for a closer object. Perhaps she was trying to cross her eyes, I thought. No, something told me that if this girl wanted to cross her eyes, she would have just done it. Then her eyes widened a bit, but there was still no emotion on her face. I decided to stare aboe her head, level the playing-field.

After thirty seconds of doing so, she asked,"You do!" She seemed so happy, like a gap in her heart had just been filled.

"No. I don't. What are you talking about?"

Her smile turned into an embarassed frown,"Oh, well... I guess I should go."

"Mm."

I found that if you answered "Mm" to any question, it would be accepted. It wouldn't necessarily be a "Yes," or a "No," it would simply acknowledge that I heard him/her. She walked back to her desk, and resumed reading her book. Then, she quickly turned her head above mine again, and stared. She looked... scared this time. Suddenly, without moving her legs or shifting any body weight, she fell off her desk, and smacked her head on the desk behind her. She seemed to expect the fall, she put hands behind her head, and closed her eyes as it happened.

I ran over to her.

"What was that?! Are you okay?" I probably sounded a but too panicked. I was surprised that no one else had even seemed to notice her fall. She didn't seem too surprised.

"I'm fine, thank you." She chuckled. Then she smiled. Except this time it was real. I smiled back and wondered what the hell this girl was all about.

Then the bell rang.

1,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Oh good! You posted it! For those people out there I really don't expect this to be some amazing book or anything, but we're just having a bit of fun, so please, vote. It also would be nice if you left a comment, so that to draw more people in. For #2 criticism is allowed and expected (it isn't that great), but I don't have the liberty to allow criticism on piece #1. Pleas and thank you! whee

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Please comment and vote, please!!!
Invite all of your friends to vote, we want to know which one we should use.

Thank you and happy voting!

P.S. You may criticize both #1 and #2.

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Please comment and vote! PLEASE!!!!! WE NEED YOU! lol

exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim
I like the first one better. It makes more sense then the other one and doesn't stay on one thing for too long. Both did have a few spelling mistakes, which I assume is just typos. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy writing to both of you.

~Tiger

1,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Mythical Tiger
I like the first one better. It makes more sense then the other one and doesn't stay on one thing for too long. Both did have a few spelling mistakes, which I assume is just typos. I hope this helped. Good luck and happy writing to both of you.

~Tiger

When you refer to how much sense the second one makes, do you mean when it says "I," and then says "his," because that was the product of me trying to change the passage to first person... Anyway, thanks for commenting!

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
And the votes are in! If you had more to say, then you should have before, but you can always PM me.

Please and thank you for your cooperation smile

CLOSED

1,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
You closed it!?

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Yeah, the voting session ended...