Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Conversationalist

9,050 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Just a general discussion of both films. They're not related in any way (other than both being animations and box office flops), but I just happened to think of both of them at the same time.

El Dorado
One of my favourite animations of all time, honestly. The style is beautiful. The 2D and 3D is very smooth and refined. Fantastic characters, especially Tulio and Miguel (Kline and Branagh's chemistry is fantastic for the bromance). A great story, though the pacing is strange in some places (too fast sometimes, too slow other times). The soundtrack is pretty s**t, except for a couple songs (Tough To Be a God is the one song I really enjoyed).

It lost about 20 million in the box office if I'm not mistaken, which is a shame because I've always really enjoyed the film. It was supposed to be the start of a movie series, but they abandoned that after it's failure, which, again, is a shame. Also, I've read some rumors that Miguel and Tulio were originally supposed to be a couple, but Dreamworks said no because they didn't think audiences were ready for a homosexual pair. Does anyone have more information on that?

Thief and The Cobbler
I honestly only found out about this film recently. It was supposed to be Richard Williams's masterpiece, but was stuck in development hell for 30 years. As I understand it, the project was started in 1988, changed hands between financers/distributers at least 3 times, was cut short, and was finally taken over and butchered by a different producer. If all had gone as planned, it would an amazing feat of animation in its time. Hell, even by today's standards, some of those original, hand drawn frame-by-frame, fully animated scenes are something to marvel at (Like the war machine, or the deleted scene of the old woman on top of the hand thing).
This film's downfall breaks my heart, especially since Williams is one of my all time favourite animators.

High-functioning Vampire

I LOVE thief and the cobbler! 4laugh It is probably the best animation I have ever seen especially since there's no CGI. I watched the recobbled cut. The fact that they took this movie away and added their terrible voice overs and made it look like an Aladdin rip-off makes me angry. As for El Dorado, i've never seen it but i've heard good things about it.
The Thief and the Cobbler has been around since far longer than 88. It started in 1964, and some of the earliest footage was made in the seventies. However, it was too complex to make cheaply and efficiently, so it financing came and went. This happened for a while, and they didn't bother letting him complete it until after Aladdin, so they could basically release this as a knockoff.

I don't know if it would have been a classic if they stuck to Williams' original vision, but visually it would have been one of the most striking animated film.

The Road to El Dorado is a funny, well animated film. It's a collection of great characters in a story that was not so great. Overall, definitely worth watching.

Divine Sex Symbol

9,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
The Road to El Dorado is one of my favorite childhood movies of all time. I had recently watched it, and was surprised that there was so much adult content in the film that I haven't noticed when I was a kid xd That movie is pure gold

I'm not sure what Thief and the Cobbler is about, but I vaguely remember seeing a preview of it when I was in second grade, but I'll check it out eventually
I've never seen the thief and the cobbler, but I love road to el dorado. it really is a shame it did so badly. I've heard that rumor too, that they were meant to be a couple. sad that they couldn't keep it that way, but I understand why they changed it. people had an uproar over a gay character in paranorman nowadays. back then it would have been a s**t storm. hopefully in the future that'll change

Tipsy Reveler

I love both films so much, but the Thief and the Cobbler has to be one of my favorite all time animated movies!
(Second is probably Emperor's New Groove)
I watched The Thief and the Cobbler so many times I broke the tape! Haha.
I thought the thief was hilarious trying to get those three golden balls. He was great. biggrin

I would talk about the Road to El Dorado, but I dont remember it. >_<

Artiistic's Significant Otter

Angelic Demigod

19,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
The uncobbled cut is the only acceptable way to watch The Thief and the Cobbler.
The animation is gorgeous.
I've never watched The Thief but I liked El Dorado. I thought it was hilarious and I suspected Miguel and Tulio were a thing

Dapper Lunatic

i loved the road to el dorado heart

it is a shame it was a commercial failure
i loved the characters, and the soundtrack
LOVED THE ROAD TO EL DORADO heart heart
it deserves more credit sad ((

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
The Thief and the Cobbler was a movie I thoroughly enjoyed. The animation was so unique and interesting and the subtle dialogue (like the Thief's mutterings to himself) were hilarious. I'm sad more people don't know don't know about this one.

Galactic Shapeshifter

Alexia Delarge
I LOVE thief and the cobbler! 4laugh It is probably the best animation I have ever seen especially since there's no CGI. I watched the recobbled cut. The fact that they took this movie away and added their terrible voice overs and made it look like an Aladdin rip-off makes me angry. As for El Dorado, i've never seen it but i've heard good things about it.
Thank god thoes voices weren't intended I coulden't watch it with the sound on.

Skilled Friend

8,800 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Millionaire 200
omigosh the thief and the cobbler was like my favourite movie when i was a kid.

where i live it was released as "the princess and the cobbler" and i don't recall the one i watched having the voiceovers (guess i was lucky lmao) but i absolutely LOVED the animation. i'll have to watch that one again soon.

And, only just re-watched the road to el dorado in-full a few months ago for the first time in about 6 years but i forgot how good it was, the soundtrack omfg heart heart

Dapper Gaian

Good animated films with a lot to love. I didn't watch The Thief and the Cobbler until I was much older, but grew up on The Road to El Dorado. I love how Chel seduces Tulio because hello. redface

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff