Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Hexstus
Cupcakesu

Seems like the entire class is an afterthought rather than something they intended to create from the start. I'm sure that's not actually the case but it's still very disappointing to see how little love it's getting. I am still just a lowly Arcanist but I picked it because of the fact that it suits me and because I prefer to summon stuff than outright pummel everything with spells. Which actually used to be what I enjoyed until I tried a warlock in World of Warcraft and realized that was my true calling. Though I will say that it is kind of nice sharing the same gear if only because it means gearing up a Black Mage or Summoner requires less effort, haha.

By the way, what server do you play on and is it any good? I had to choose one at random because the site I used is currently not fully operational and I'm not sure this particular world is right for me.

gaia_angelleft yum_strawberry

Well, SE has admitted Summoner was rushed, and Arcanist as a whole does feel like it was built for Scholar. But meh, I can deal with the issues for now because they're not too apparent for me since I rarely if ever venture into Coil. I believe SE has said Summoner will get some love in the expansion, as well as two new summons. Hopefully the issues get addressed there.

Note that there is some content where Summoners shine above other classes. If they can multi-DoT things (like Leviathan's head and tail) then their overall dps can surpass even a Monk. The cases where this is possible just aren't frequent enough.

I play on Sargatanas. It's a pretty populated server (if you wanted to create a character on it, you'd have to do so in the morning) and the people I've met are mostly nice and helpful. The market isn't bad either.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Hexstus
Cupcakesu

I would be inclined to agree with you if it were not for that prejudice that is so prevalent. I do hope you're right though and I hope that the expansion changes things around a bit in our favor. It's unfortunate otherwise because I was really looking forward to playing my Summoner but I guess I'll switch to a Thaumaturge/Black Mage as soon as I get the chance.

It's really not all that bad if you avoid Coil. Summoners can compete dps-wise in almost all content. But for endgame parties that are extremely picky about their jobs and trying to be as efficient as possible, SMN is just a BLM with less AoE that requires Bard's MP Song and is harder to play.

I still play Summoner because it's my favorite job in terms of playstyle and fantasy, but there's no doubting it needs work. A lot of work. Some Summoner mains even argue it needs a complete rework from bottom to top. It would be a great start though if SE split Caster gear so Summoners don't share with BLM, because as it stands 90% of Caster gear is aimed towards BLM and thus has a ton of Spellspeed that literally does nothing for SMN.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Hexstus
Cupcakesu

Because Japanese developers have a weird prejudice against anything that isn't melee. I've seen it in every game I play with ranged/casters. I'm sure if they could get away with it, everyone would be running around with swords. Still not as bad as the fact that a lot of them are sexist and gender-lock the ranged/caster classes as female, implying that the "weak" gender should play the "weak" role.

While I'm not going to refute the prejudice in general (I've seen it happen several times as well), I believe the case here for XIV is more so that melee dps need to stop attacking entirely to dodge mechanics, while ranged classes and casters can continue to hit things. Thus their overall dps if they get to stand there and continue should be "higher" to compensate.

Problem is that most of the time dodging mechanics (unless you're doing Coil) isn't as strenuous as they probably think, and so everyone who isn't melee just underperforms. Summoner, for example, is in a bad spot atm because they don't outdamage melee dps but they don't handle AoE as well as BLM does and BLM does single-target just as well anyway.

I'm hoping the upcoming expansion will balance things out or change this dynamic. @-@

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Hexstus
Cupcakesu

Why would a Machinist replace a Bard? As far as I can tell, they're not a supporting role so they wouldn't take that slot in a group. I'm disappointed the Astrologian is a healing class but their weapon design is amazing and I'll probably play around as one for that alone. I'm also fairly excited about the Dark Knight even though I can't play melee classes to save my life.

I'm just speaking from a ranged dps standpoint, since Machinist is the only other job that will fill the category. Most endgame raids will have 2 melee dps, a caster (usually a BLM nowadays), and a bard.

My point was that since they can't take Bard's niche, they'll have to compete with the melee dps, and I don't see that working out well since SE believes melee dps need to do the most damage. Unless SE makes them proficient in AoE to cover the caster's role...

Fluffy Bunny

14,075 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
  • Invisibility 100
Cupcakesu
Zysets
Japantsu
why can't square enix make it so that you go from archer to assassin instead of archer to bard?

and why does bard have a bow and not a harp?

ghhuhuhprihgoeirhgeprihgperihgeörihgerpihg

Bard technically has both a bow and a harp. Quite a few of the Bard weapons are bows with little harps on them from what I've seen.

Only the Relic weapon really has this sort of design to it, and even then once you hit Zodiac it loses the harp entirely. Generally speaking their weapons are typical bow designs.

I foresee a LOT of Bards shifting over to Machinist unless it has difficult mechanics. Bard doesn't really fulfill a high dps ranged fantasy. They have the lowest dps in the game among dps classes, and rightly so since their utility is unmatched and REQUIRED for endgame runs. Machinist is going to have to pull some great numbers to replace a Bard in any endgame party, and even if high numbers becomes its niche it'll have to compete with Monk.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Astrologian. It'll probably become my main healing class. Not too interested in Machinist since I love my Summoner too much.

I've personally been thinking of switching over to Machinist from Ninja, but Astrologian does look pretty great too.

I mean they carry around a big globe thing that's pretty ridiculous, in a cool way.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Zysets
Japantsu
why can't square enix make it so that you go from archer to assassin instead of archer to bard?

Bard technically has both a bow and a harp. Quite a few of the Bard weapons are bows with little harps on them from what I've seen.

Only the Relic weapon really has this sort of design to it, and even then once you hit Zodiac it loses the harp entirely. Generally speaking their weapons are typical bow designs.

I foresee a LOT of Bards shifting over to Machinist unless it has difficult mechanics. Bard doesn't really fulfill a high dps ranged fantasy. They have the lowest dps in the game among dps classes, and rightly so since their utility is unmatched and REQUIRED for endgame runs. Machinist is going to have to pull some great numbers to replace a Bard in any endgame party, and even if high numbers becomes its niche it'll have to compete with Monk.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Astrologian. It'll probably become my main healing class. Not too interested in Machinist since I love my Summoner too much.

Fluffy Bunny

14,075 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
  • Invisibility 100
Japantsu

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Fluffy Bunny

14,075 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
  • Invisibility 100
Teleportress
dark knight may get me to start tanking tbqh.
astro looks /so/ amazing i REALLY wanna try it out when given the chance to

I started as a GLA, and I really suck at Tanking, but Dark Knight does make me want to practice, it looks super cool. Plus the Collector's Edition of Heavensward comes with a Dark Knight helmet based on Cecil's Dark Knight look in FFIV, so that tempts me even more!

Girl-Crazy Star

dark knight may get me to start tanking tbqh.
astro looks /so/ amazing i REALLY wanna try it out when given the chance to

Shy Seeker

Zysets
I'm a bit out of the loop with all the new info on Havensward, but I heard Machinist is also going to be able to use deployable turrets. Wonder how those will work, looks like they might follow you around and attack with you or something, but that's purely my speculation.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
imma assume its gonna be like summoner/scholar with a "pet bar".it would be cool if you had to craft your new"turret"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff