Hockeypucks. 0.36231884057971 36.2% [ 25 ]
Bubble-wrap. 0.27536231884058 27.5% [ 19 ]
Dirt. 0.10144927536232 10.1% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 26 27 > >>

wahmbulance [[!ARTWORK PENDING!]] wahmbulance

This is a Yami no Matsuei/Yu Yu Hakusho crossing,
meaning the charaters are from totally separate animes,
and--in a rare moment of brilliance*--I blended the two together.
[*lies; is not a brilliant thinker]

I promise it doesn't suck; I spent hours days ironing out the kinks.

And I'm saying it now so I don't have to say it later:
I will not be writing pr0n!! Get your smut elsewhere!!!
I'm not morally against it, but I still won't write it.
I may end up writing something "fun" along those lines, but that remains to be seen.
I never quite know where a story is going until I finish it.

Please leave some constructive comments; I'm on a mission to improve my writing skills.
Tell me your reactions and even drop some suggestions or requests.
(If someone gives me a good idea, I could try and write a short too. *shrug*)
Feel free to PM me.

Also note that, if you don't post, I won't know you were here,
and I'll take that as a sign to give up.

Other than that, I want to let the story speak for itself.

---------------

Ch. 1, 2 & 3 - (Dude, don't be lazy; just scroll down the page.)
Ch. 4, 5 & 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8 & 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16

---------------
Prologue
==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==#==

The clipped tattoo of panicked footsteps echoed off the dark red walls of brick, rising up on either side of the narrow alley like solid foreboding monoliths in the few weak streetlights. It was absolutely musical to hear.

It had been so long since he had stalked in someone’s shadow, catching glimpse after glimpse of their growing fear, listening to their frantic breathing, watching the helpless terror overcome their body slowly, stiffening their stride as rationality fought against the paranoia instilled behind their darting eyes. He had almost forgotten how much dark pleasure it gave him.

He hadn’t been so amused by anything in months, and now this perfect chance had presented itself.

From where he lingered, just close enough to let his presence raise the hair on the back of her neck with chills, he could see the trembling of her fists under the streetlight as she clenched the handles of two plastic bags full of groceries. He chuckled softly somewhere behind her;

‘Poor little mouse...’

Her mouth twisted in an ugly grimace of fear as she whirled around, her bags swinging around with her, banging into the sides of her jelly-weak legs as she stared into nothing but the darkness of the alley beyond the harsh circle of orange light, stretching out behind her like a dim tunnel. A tiny dry sob escaped her at the sound of slow, menacing footsteps, gradually echoing louder from every angle.

He watched her turn around and around under the dirty light, clutching the handles of the cumbersome plastic bags to her chest so that they banged into her elbows, as if they would save her. It was all too entertaining, approaching effortlessly from behind, as her whitened face, frozen in a mask of panic, glanced left and right for the one who stalked her.

As if sensing him, she stood still, staring ahead as she breathed in little trembling gasps. Inches behind her, he leaned over her small shoulder, easily a foot taller than his victim, and paused as if drinking in her fear, then he filled her ear with the sweetest murmur that a man standing directly beside them would not have heard:

‘I want what you stole from me...’

He saw her freeze, still as a stone, the terror shining in her eyes.

‘There is nowhere you can escape me; I know everything about you...’

“Who are you?! What do you want?!” she screamed, the fear cracking her voice, and turned swiftly, expecting empty darkness to whisper again in her ear.

To her obvious horror, there was a man standing, just outside the circle of the streetlamp's light, so that his black clothes seemed to melt into the shadows and the white porcelain mask he wore was cast with sharp eerie highlights. It was the face of a Renaissance cherub, staring out from under a dark hood as if freshly ripped from the front of the statue’s marble skull, white with empty dark sockets. The bottom half of the cherub’s face had been cracked off, severing the porcelain in a jagged edge that revealed only the man’s pale narrow chin and the small leering smile that stained his lips, barely a shade darker than the smooth ivory.

Perched between the edge of the orange light and the engulfing darkness, the pale mouth beneath the cherub began to laugh and reached toward her with a hand gloved in white, so that it seemed to float out of the dark like a fragment of a ghost.

A bloodcurdling scream rent the night air above the alleyway, mingled with strangled sobs and the scrambling footfalls of terrified flight.

Alone, in the orange glow just outside the spotlight of the streetlamp, stood the hooded man wearing the cracked porcelain face of an angel, his gloved hand still outstretched. The pale mouth smiled in the grotesque light, grinning gently over the fallen groceries, his smile like the flicker of a flame over wood:

“Sayonara, Ma-Lyn....”

From behind the glass, her scream was as silent as the grave. It didn’t take a third eye to make out the words she was sobbing:

‘Hiei! Help me, Hiei, please! Help me!’

With his hands pressed against the thick glass, he could feel the percussion of her fists pounding on the other side. He was so unbearably close, and yet there was nothing he could do. Watching her cry his name and beat herself against the glass was killing him as surely as it was killing her.

Hiei clenched his teeth so tightly his ears rang, and she swam in his vision as she clawed at the smooth glass and screamed for him to save her as loud as she could. The container was an empty hourglass just large enough for her to turn in panicked circles where she stood, and he could practically see the air inside getting thinner and thinner as she hammered at the glass and cried.

He pressed his whole body against the double-curve of the thick hourglass as if he could will himself to pass through it to reach her. Hiei’s face was so near hers that he could see the tears caught in her eyelashes and the quick blurs of fog on the glass from her belabored breathing.

His throat clenched convulsively; she was running out of air, already.

“Ma-Lyn! Stop moving!” Hiei yelled at the glass, praying she could hear.

The girl inside the glass thrashed even more desperately.
‘I can’t hear you! I can’t hear you!’ she mouthed, more tears rolling down her face. Her breathing was becoming even heavier and the fists she beat against the glass were trembling weakly.

“Stop, Ma-Lyn! Don’t talk!” Even as he said this, the girl’s eyelids began to sag sleepily and her fists loosened. She leaned against the curved wall, and started to slip down to her knees while her hands dragged along the glass.

“Ma-Lyn!” Hiei cried, smashing his fists into the thick glass over and over in his desperation.
“Ma-Lyn!” The girl had locked eyes with him, even as she sank to her knees inside the hourglass, and he couldn’t look away. A fear like he’d never felt before was numbly swallowing him as he watched her eyes flutter.

He couldn’t even hear his own voice screaming her name.

Her eyelids fluttered shut once, and her lips mumbled something swallowed by the thick glass.

Hiei’s fists were past the point of being sore; they could have been bleeding or broken as he battered the invulnerable glass, without feeling any of the pain that lanced up his arms.

Her eyes fell shut.

Hiei’s panic was absolute.

She slumped over, one hand lingered against the glass for a moment, and she lay still on the floor of the hourglass.

Hiei woke with a small choked cry, and the sound of a teargem skittering across the floor in the dark. The solitary noise dwindled into quiet as it rolled towards the corner. His ears were ringing.

It was only another nightmare....

Across the room, Kazutaka’s long white fingers closed over the tiny rolling object. He remained motionless where he sat in the corner, watching Hiei. Kazutaka barely blinked as the other man covered his face with his hands and lay back on his futon, completely unaware of far more than just his roommate being awake. His dreams were only the ghosts of the things that haunted him.

It was an hour before Hiei’s restless tossing and turning ceased and his breathing became deep and relaxed in the silence of the apartment. Kazutaka’s good eye traced the dim silhouette of Hiei’s face for the thousandth time that night, and came to rest hauntingly on the curve of his sleeping eyelashes. He rolled the tiny black gem between his fingertips, watching the peaceful rise and fall of Hiei’s chest beneath the blanket. Satisfied that there would be nothing more to worry about tonight, Kazutaka closed his fist lightly around Hiei’s teargem and let his head fall back against the wall with a long quiet breath.

A length of time passed in silence as he lingered, watching the faintly breathing silhouette as if in a trance.

Finally looking away from his roommate’s sleeping face, Kazutaka ran a hand through his short silver hair and slowly crept back to his own futon. Before he settled under the blanket, he placed the teargem in a small wooden box with a black dragon painted across the cover, where it clicked against the many others crowded inside it.

Hiei was lost in thought from virtually the moment he woke and went to the cramped little bathroom to brush the unpleasant taste of morningbreath from his mouth.

He had to blink his bleary eyes a few times as he watched the toothpaste blob out of the half-flattened tube onto his brush. He stuck it in his mouth and glanced up into his own tired scarlet eyes in the mirror as he put the toothpaste away. There was a smudge of dark purple and heavy lines under each one, and they refused to open up all the way, as if he ought to be going to bed now instead of just waking.

God, I really look like s**t, he thought with an inward groan, and used both index fingers to stretch down his eyelids until two red crescents showed under his eyeballs and he looked like a groggy ghoul with a yellow plastic toothbrush sticking out of its mouth.

‘Hi-chan, you’re such a dork! Hahahahaha!’

Hiei let his face snap back and started to brush his teeth without putting any real effort into it. He stared at his tired looking reflection; right in the eye, as if he could see directly inside himself to where the problem was. But he knew the problem already. It was all in his head and he just couldn’t get over it.

She had always laughed and called him a dork when he made that face.

He stared at his reflection hard in the mirror. Why hadn’t he believed her when things started to fall apart? How could he have doubted her? Right when it counted...

Damn it....

Hiei spat forcefully into the sink, mildly realizing that when you were in a mood like his, brushing your teeth could almost be called therapeutic. Hiei spit again, putting some real oomph into it this time, and then went out to the kitchen to see what there was for breakfast, still half lost in thought.

How long had it been?

Almost a year, he realized heavily. Tomorrow would be the anniversary of her disappearance.

Kazutaka was at the stove, frying up eggs and bacon, as Hiei came into the section of their apartment marked as “the kitchen” by the tiled floor. He flopped haggardly into one of the chairs around the tiny kitchen table. A year sounded a great deal shorter than it felt. Now that he thought about it, it had seemed like a sizable chunk of forever had passed since Ma-Lyn had first been reported missing.

The scrape of the spatula in the skillet announced that the food was done as Kazutaka transferred the eggs and strips of bacon to plates. One of the plates hovered just beneath Hiei’s nose until he blinked, and then looked up at Kazutaka’s pleasant expression.

“Morning. Did you get enough sleep?”

“Yeah,” Hiei lied, and immediately yawned.

He took the plate with a scowl and a mumbled “Thanks”, and shoveled egg into his mouth without waiting. Kazutaka set a mug of black coffee in front of him and stirred in a heaping spoonful of powdered chocolate.

“Any races today? Kitchen’s closed, so I’m off work.” Hiei looked up from his eggs and noticed the coffee. “Mind if I come watch?” Kazutaka asked as Hiei picked up the steaming mug to take a sip.

“I don’t care.” Hiei said, as offhandedly as always, and drank some of the coffee. His eyebrows rose up in mild surprise at the mug beneath his nose, and as soon as he finished drinking said, “Good coffee. What’d you do to it?”

“Nothing.” Kazutaka replied quietly, turning back to the stove to hide the small smile that touched his face.

It was just a slight, happy curve of the lips, but it faded a little sadly as Kazutaka glanced out the window above the white countertop. He couldn’t really blame Hiei, it was just part of how he was. He couldn’t expect him to remember something as small to him as what the weather had been on that day. Even so, he didn’t know why he let it bother him. Hiei seemed to have honestly forgotten. And Ma-Lyn, even a year later, was still as close to his heart as she had ever been, he thought, remembering the dozens of tiny black gems hidden in the box on his dresser.

Kazutaka started to stack the dishes in the sink and run the hot water as he listened to the subtle sounds of Hiei finishing the breakfast he had made for him. It just wasn’t fair; even though she was long gone, she would probably always mean more to Hiei than he would.... No, Kazutaka corrected himself; it wasn’t supposed to be fair. Life was not fair. He had known that even before he’d met Hiei or Ma-Lyn.

He sank his hands into the scalding hot dishwater, and almost chuckled a little bitterly to himself at this. Back then, even when he’d broken every rule in his way, he still couldn’t get what he wanted. And he had wanted it so badly.

But those were the days of Muraki Kazutaka, not ¹ Mitsukeru Kazutaka. And there was no point in letting a cup of under-appreciated coffee get to him, eventhough it was selfish, and therefore just the sort of thing he would do. It didn’t matter in the larger scheme. It was just a damn cup of coffee. What mattered now, to Mitsukeru Kazutaka, was not quite getting what he wanted, but keeping it. By whatever means necessary.

Hiei’s chair scraped across the tiled floor as he got up from the table with his empty mug and plate.

Yes... I already have so much of what I want, Kazutaka thought as he watched Hiei place the dishes on the counter next to the sink. It wouldn’t do to ruin a good thing just because I want more.

Hiei’s footsteps receded into his room to get dressed while Kazutaka stood with his hands in the dishwater. He glanced over at Hiei’s empty mug: not a drop remained in the bottom of the cup. The slight curve of his lips returned, and he continued to scrub the skillet clean under the soapy water.

Hiei was always such a test of his self-control; always so callous and blunt. And god, Hiei could be dense, but Kazutaka wasn’t ever quite sure whether he was glad of it or not. He didn’t think anything good could come of Hiei realizing even half of the things he was currently not aware of. Everything was for the better with Hiei oblivious. It didn’t matter how it made Kazutaka feel; if he let anything slip, if he was reckless like he had been before, then everything he had done would be wasted. Everything he had painstakingly controlled and covered up and taken care of would go straight to hell, exactly like before.

It was what he told himself every time he was tempted to do or say anything that might jeopardize the carefully constructed niche Mitsukeru Kazutaka had carved out for the two of them; himself and Hiei. He was content to work quietly behind the scenes as a puppetmaster pulling strings, and he would not let his old ways—Muraki Kazutaka’s old ways—ruin what he had worked so hard to keep. Kazutaka often had to remind himself that he was not like that anymore; he was Mitsukeru now. Muraki had had his chance, and it had landed him and the one he wanted in the middle of a black inferno.

Hiei, now fully dressed in jeans and his leather jacket, crossed to the door of their apartment with his shiny, pitch-black helmet under his arm, and called over his shoulder, “The races start at noon. On the stretch of road behind the old parking garage. Don’t die getting there.” Hiei said shortly, as close to a goodbye as he would ever get.

“Don’t die.” Kazutaka responded, as the door closed.

His hands became still in the foamy dishwater as he stood still and listened to the sound of Hiei’s racing-bike revving up and motoring away down the boulevard, no doubt far over the speed limit.

“Yeah... don’t die....” Kazutaka mused quietly into the empty apartment, and allowed himself to think back to that time when he’d changed. When he gave up taking the direct approach to get what he wanted and put cruel Doctor Muraki in the dark, supposedly for good.

That was the day he had become Mitsukeru Kazutaka, and started to blur the line between pretending and becoming something he was not. But he would have been a fool to think that Mitsukeru was entirely real and Muraki was entirely gone.

What he was now, Kazutaka could not really say.

*Japanese Translation notes:

¹ ‘Mitsukeru’ means “to find”

Ku-chan! -Subscribed- ANyways I think I already read this much in your journal or...something like that, lol. I'll comment on it if I haven't already after I read it again. By the way, excuse my ignorance, but who is this Kazutaka character? I mean I used to be a huge Yu Yu Hakusho fan, but I don't know who he is.
Ah, see, that's the crossover part. 3nodding
Kazutaka Muraki is from Yami no Matsuei, not YYH.
In english, it's Descendants of Darkness

Here's a link to the first episode on youtube, as long as you don't mind it being subtitled.
Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VT5dV8L6UkI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlW37NN1NIk&NR=1

~3~;
(Psst! You see Kazu-chan in the church at the end of part 1.
He's such a faker... you'll see! xd heart )
The next chapter has major spoilers for Yami no Matsuei fans who haven't finished the anime,

---so BE WARNED, MAN!!!---

But for those of you who like gruesome murder mysteries, YNM is for you.

Anyways, the next chapter will help you to understand a little better
if you've never seen YNM or Muraki in action before.

Muraki Kazutaka had supposedly died in the enormous fire that happened more than a year and four months ago at the Shinigami Bureau of Human Affairs. He was a remorseless serial killer, and he would stop at nothing to possess a shinigami named Asato Tsuzuki. But all that changed when Tsuzuki’s shikigami, Touda, intervened and turned the flames surrounding them black. Touda’s infamous black flames swallowed everything, and Muraki Kazutaka had but a small margin by which to escape; his only other choice was to die in the black flames with Asato Tsuzuki.

Perhaps it was sheer selfishness that allowed Muraki to choose to live, rather than follow Tsuzuki, but nonetheless, he escaped and never looked back. That night half of the Bureau of Human Affairs burned to the ground in the inextinguishable black flames.

He sought refuge at his old friend Oriya’s establishment, and hid there for a week solid in his room, refusing to answer the door for anyone but Oriya himself. Many times his friend tried to ask what had happened and where he was going, and many times Muraki refused to answer. He said only that he had to go somewhere far away from what he had done. A short time after, Muraki left his friend’s establishment, so swiftly that he seemed to vanish without a trace. That was the last time the name Muraki Kazutaka was heard.

For almost a month, Kazutaka wandered from place to place, searching himself as much as the land around him. He scrutinized himself so thoroughly that he couldn’t have remembered everything that went through his mind even if he tried. It all seemed to pass in a massive blur of scenery and faces, until he scraped the bottom of his wallet and had to reexamine his options. He had survived countless police investigations, dozens of scuffles with the Bureau of Human Affairs, and the lethal black flames of Touda, and never once stopped. Of all the things to bring him to a halt; it was going broke.

He must have sat on the curb and laughed like the madman he was all night until the crack of dawn. It was just that funny.

By the time the sun came up, Kazutaka had decided to bury Muraki with the ashes of the Bureau of Human Affairs and Asato Tsuzuki.

Mitsukeru Kazutaka was the one to walk into the first restaurant he saw and spend his last dollar on a proper breakfast. It was there that he struck up an extraordinarily dull conversation with a waitress whose nametag read: ‘² Nusumu Ma-Lyn’. She was a chatty girl with an abnormal amount of sympathy for complete strangers, especially charming handsome ones with silver hair, and offered to let Kazutaka stay with her until he could find a place of his own.

“Aren’t you worried I might try something at night?” Kazutaka asked, obviously surprised at her lack of caution, as he stabbed a bite of pancake with his fork.

The girl shook her pigtailed head with a big naïve smile, “If you’ll pardon my saying so; I kinda got the vibe that you were gay.”

Kazutaka choked on his pancake.

As he cleared his throat behind a napkin, he thought wryly; I can’t decide whether to call this particular knife dull or sharp.

But then, this girl was just a child still. Hell, Muraki had killed his share of much hotter, craftier, and more intelligent women. This one was nothing to worry about.

“I do appreciate your generosity, especially seeing as I’m not in much of a position to refuse,” Kazutaka admitted, “but I have no money, and no job to pay you back with.”

“Hmm...” the pigtailed waitress made a thoughtful face and tilted her head as her plain brown eyes roved around the restaurant. “How are you at cooking, Mr...?”

“Mitsukeru Kazutaka. Please just call me Kazutaka.”

“Mr. Kazutaka, then. How would you be at cooking in a place like this, you think?”

“Well, I suppose I know a bit. Why?” he responded coolly, unable to keep from thinking of the few extremely successful occasions that Muraki had cooked his specialty meat—human—and managed to pawn it off as five-star gourmet.

“Oh, see, our chef told me he was submitting a letter of resignation because he found something bigger, or whatever that means. It’s not really my business, I guess, but it would be awfully convenient for the next applicant to be familiar with the menu and have a place to practice.” Nusumu Ma-Lyn’s smile was bright and seemingly naïve as she averted her eyes in a sneaky side-glance.

Kazutaka was beginning to like this girl.

“I see...” Kazutaka gave her his most charming smile, “now, how much do I owe you for this delicious breakfast?”

It didn’t take more than a day to impress Nusumu Ma-Lyn with his culinary prowess, and in another week, he had mastered the majority of the restaurant’s menu to perfection. The job was as good as his the second he walked through the restaurant door, and the owner was only too happy to hire such an informed, handsome gentleman for ³Daidokoro no Mado’s staff. In fact, he was almost ecstatic enough to shake Kazutaka’s hands—both of them—several times, with a slight blush coloring his face. The poor man appeared to be slightly crestfallen to hear that Kazutaka was staying with Ma-Lyn. All Kazutaka could do was smile sheepishly and let the owner believe what he wanted. It didn’t matter to him what this man thought; he had gotten the job.

Kazutaka could not have asked for a better situation: A place to stay and a new job that just about dropped into his lap. Kazutaka almost considered going to a temple and giving thanks for his good luck. Almost. A change of career would cover his tracks even further, just in case the Bureau of Human Affairs was still looking for him, and put that much more distance between Muraki and Mitsukeru. However, he was by no means fool enough to let his guard down now.

In a few weeks, Kazutaka had earned enough to secure his own apartment on the other side of town from Ma-Lyn’s place. His new residence turned out to be much closer to the restaurant than hers, so the two of them saw each other mostly at work. They remained casual friends and chatted together on their breaks, but there were often times when Kazutaka could feel an enormous gap between himself and Ma-Lyn.

She was just a normal girl who was too innocent to ever know about the darker side of the world around her. The side of the world that Muraki Kazutaka had once thrived in. It was these times that he would feel Muraki’s restless madness bubbling up in him, and remind himself that Tsuzuki was dead because of his old ways. It was the only remorse Muraki Kazutaka had ever really felt, and therefore, Mitsukeru Kazutaka’s only weapon against him. And Nusumu Ma-Lyn was just the kind of daily reminder he needed.

She overflowed with innocence; a thing that Kazutaka had always had difficulty holding on to. Every mundane conversation they shared helped Kazutaka to push Muraki deeper and farther away, so he forced himself to find something pleasantly intriguing about the news of her cousin’s recent engagement, or mildly saddening to hear of an elderly couple who perished in a house fire in the next city over. What did he care that her cousin was getting married? What did another two dead people mean to him if he hadn’t been the one to set fire to their house? All that mattered was that Muraki was gradually fading as he completely immersed himself in this new, inhumanly dull existence as Mitsukeru Kazutaka.

However, a profoundly interesting thing was to come to him, in the most discreet and fleeting of moments.

And it would change so much; by his very own hands.

Or perhaps they were Muraki’s.... He couldn’t seem to recall.

*Japanese Translation notes:

¹ ‘Mitsukeru’ means “to find”
² ‘Nusumu’ means “to have something stolen”
³ ‘Daidokoro no Mado’ means “the Kitchen Window”

wahmbulance heart wahmbulance
So, what do you guys think so far?
Is it too boring?
Were any points not specific enough?
Any parts you were confused on?

Any questions at all...?
gonk
I was wondering....
Does anyone think I should re-write the first chapter

...or delete it altogether...?

It makes Hiei seem so OC,
and Ma-Lyn's practically a Mary Sue...
*cringe*

(Edit: It's as close to 'fixed' as it'll ever be... DX)
isn't that kinda the point? neutral

....is it? confused

idk, i mean u know what i think of her (she's the girl from after skool nightmare to me, thats my image of her [wheeee! pigtails! heart ] ). she comes across a little as a mary sue, but.. thats why i think itll be interesting to find out how and why hiei falls in love with her...she gets quirks later on and is no longer a mary sue. right? right?! RIGHT!?! gonk
very nice biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces