Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Sleuth

ExplosiveFlan
Game-of-Hope
Renkon Root
The worst thing about belonging to a slow -or even dead- fandom, is that nobody ever seems to give a s**t except you. Spam fics, OC fic that don't even include the canon characters at all, PWP, crack, and troll fics. And you're the only shmuck actually writing fics that are clean, have a plot, and include the canon characters.

I have read some stories with OCs and they were great, mind you the story wasn't over run with them.

I dont think I have ever written my OC into a fandom... Not yet, at least.

Most of my stories are screwy reader inserts for an overrated fandom thats going to crash and burn by the end of the year or so...

I think OCs can be a great addition to stories if done right. One thing you have to be careful about is not using the some OC for every story. Fanfcition authors can fall into the trap of essentially writing the same character over and over again, and not realize until some labels there characters as Mary-Sue/ self-insert (while those can be fun to write, I wouldn't post them). However, some authors do it knowing and never changes the characters name or appearance, if that works for you then write what you want to write. In those cases I never read more then one of there stories, because it diminishes the character for me. Try to experiment with different personality types, character flaws, and back stories- even try writing a villian or the opposite gender!

Another things that can turn people away from a fanfiction with OCs, is flooding an story with them. OC's are like hot peppers; a little can spice up a meal and make more it enjoyable, but if you put in too much pepper you can't even taste your food. People read fanfiction for a reason, they want to read about characters and universes, that they know and love. If there are more OCs that canon character, its defeats the purpose.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Game-of-Hope
Another things that can turn people away from a fanfiction with OCs, is flooding an story with them. OC's are like hot peppers; a little can spice up a meal and make more it enjoyable, but if you put in too much pepper you can't even taste your food. People read fanfiction for a reason, they want to read about characters and universes, that they know and love. If there are more OCs that canon character, its defeats the purpose.

This is the main reason why I can't stand OC fics.

I understand if the fic is supposed to be like a prequel fic that takes place before most of the main characters are born. In a place on the canon's time line where only a small amount of characters are even named, let alone expanded upon. Fics like that require a large amount of OCs to fill in the empty roles. Likewise, fics that take place so far into the future that the canon characters would all -logically- be dead. Reincarnation fics or descendent fics. Those are almost 100% OCs (with the exception of immortal characters or time-travel, etc.).

Those are both perfectly understandable OC-dominant fics.

But then there are the fics that start off with one OC joining the canon central-cast -not so bad, right? But then that OC brings in an evil twin, an estranged parent, a former lover, or a long lost mentor. That secondary OC then brings in a whole slew of new antagonists and allies. So many to the point where the sheer numbers force out the canon characters until you realize you've just read three chapters where the canon characters have been mentioned maybe three times and actually appeared only once! That is when an OC-dominant fic is a bad idea and a real turn-off.

High-functioning Sleuth

Renkon Root
Game-of-Hope

This is the main reason why I can't stand OC fics.

I understand if the fic is supposed to be like a prequel fic that takes place before most of the main characters are born. In a place on the canon's time line where only a small amount of characters are even named, let alone expanded upon. Fics like that require a large amount of OCs to fill in the empty roles. Likewise, fics that take place so far into the future that the canon characters would all -logically- be dead. Reincarnation fics or descendent fics. Those are almost 100% OCs (with the exception of immortal characters or time-travel, etc.).

Those are both perfectly understandable OC-dominant fics.

But then there are the fics that start off with one OC joining the canon central-cast -not so bad, right? But then that OC brings in an evil twin, an estranged parent, a former lover, or a long lost mentor. That secondary OC then brings in a whole slew of new antagonists and allies. So many to the point where the sheer numbers force out the canon characters until you realize you've just read three chapters where the canon characters have been mentioned maybe three times and actually appeared only once! That is when an OC-dominant fic is a bad idea and a real turn-off.

Unfortunately, those are the type of stories that people think when they think of OC. sweatdrop

High-functioning Sleuth

Neko Princess Rikki
Dnangel
Full moon o Sagashite
Mamotte Lollipop
Strange Magic (animated movie if you never heard of it)
Atelier video game series

A lot of people on the internet are looking for Strange Magic fanfiction.

Salty Veteran

19,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Devin 200
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
Renkon Root
The worst thing about belonging to a slow -or even dead- fandom, is that nobody ever seems to give a s**t except you. Spam fics, OC fic that don't even include the canon characters at all, PWP, crack, and troll fics. And you're the only shmuck actually writing fics that are clean, have a plot, and include the canon characters.

See, but like, to me, that's not slow or dead. That's just other fans writing things that aren't your cup of tea. They clearly do care about the show, just not the canon in the way that you do. People write (and read!) crack and PWP fics for a bunch of different reasons, and just because you personally aren't the target audience doesn't mean that they don't care about the fandom.

Supercharged Moonwalker

I know I write in the TMNT department, but right now that's a big thing and it really doesn't need any help.

Danny Phantom has been mentioned a few times, and I totally agree. I had one started and never got around to finish it.

And I don't know if anyone remembers the Secret Saturdays? I've always, ALWAYS been a fan of the SS. When they got into an episode on Ben 10... I died. Like a little screaming fangirl. There are less than 100 fics on FF for the SS. ;-; It ended on such an open note! So much could be done there, and I would love to see some good fanfiction of this series.

Chatty Member

I wish the Heavy Rain fandom were a bit larger. I need some more fandom buddies! I have a lot of headcanons for it too. (Especially for Norman).

Romantic Bloodsucker

7,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Hi all! I really wish there were a lot more fanfics and hype in general about:
First Grave/Charley Davidson series
Sailor Moon
Dracula: Untold
Mein Liebe
Sherlock Holmes (RDJ version)
xd ninja sweatdrop heart
Dragon Age, for sure. I can't seem to find anyone here who wants to talk about it!!!

Adventuring Cat

Game-of-Hope
ExplosiveFlan
Game-of-Hope
Renkon Root

I have read some stories with OCs and they were great, mind you the story wasn't over run with them.

Most of my stories are screwy reader inserts for an overrated fandom thats going to crash and burn by the end of the year or so...

I think OCs can be a great addition to stories if done right. One thing you have to be careful about is not using the some OC for every story. Fanfcition authors can fall into the trap of essentially writing the same character over and over again, and not realize until some labels there characters as Mary-Sue/ self-insert (while those can be fun to write, I wouldn't post them). However, some authors do it knowing and never changes the characters name or appearance, if that works for you then write what you want to write. In those cases I never read more then one of there stories, because it diminishes the character for me. Try to experiment with different personality types, character flaws, and back stories- even try writing a villian or the opposite gender!

If I write a fic like that it's for friends who find it amusing to be written in. That can be fun. But I don't take it seriously and it's usually something short. I know someone who likes receiving these as presents. I don't upload them usually.

Crack pairings are ok as long as you do not become so obsessed that you annoy other people. I remember several abusive Zutara shippers who couldn't handle that their ship was not canon and never would be. Calm down and enjoy your crack pairing.

I don't like out of character much unless it's out right parody. I was a huge fan of Mad and Cracked magazines so I used to do this a lot. But I severely toned it down. The trick is to take one aspect of a character's canon personality or actions and amplify it for comedic effect. It really bugs me when a character just becomes an OC with the face of a canon character. Just write your own stories if you are gonna do that.

Some people have a different perception of why a character acts the way they do. If the original material doesn't give enough info to explain why so and so is a jerk for example, you might want to come up with your own reasons why. But don't make it the same reasons every time for every character with that personality.

Anyway, I'd like to see more fics for Phantasy Star (8 and 16 bit), 7th Saga/Mystic Ark and Lufia. You don't see much of anything there.

I've wanted to write something about the weapon shop girl and the armor shop guy from Phantasy Star 2 for awhile. But I never get around to it. Growing up I always imagined them as a couple. xd
Tiana Luscinia
Game-of-Hope
ExplosiveFlan
Game-of-Hope
Renkon Root

If I write a fic like that it's for friends who find it amusing to be written in. That can be fun. But I don't take it seriously and it's usually something short. I know someone who likes receiving these as presents. I don't upload them usually.

Crack pairings are ok as long as you do not become so obsessed that you annoy other people. I remember several abusive Zutara shippers who couldn't handle that their ship was not canon and never would be. Calm down and enjoy your crack pairing.

I don't like out of character much unless it's out right parody. I was a huge fan of Mad and Cracked magazines so I used to do this a lot. But I severely toned it down. The trick is to take one aspect of a character's canon personality or actions and amplify it for comedic effect. It really bugs me when a character just becomes an OC with the face of a canon character. Just write your own stories if you are gonna do that.

Some people have a different perception of why a character acts the way they do. If the original material doesn't give enough info to explain why so and so is a jerk for example, you might want to come up with your own reasons why. But don't make it the same reasons every time for every character with that personality.

Anyway, I'd like to see more fics for Phantasy Star (8 and 16 bit), 7th Saga/Mystic Ark and Lufia. You don't see much of anything there.

I've wanted to write something about the weapon shop girl and the armor shop guy from Phantasy Star 2 for awhile. But I never get around to it. Growing up I always imagined them as a couple. xd

You can still write it if you want smile No reason why it's not possible.

Premium Phantom

10,950 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed. Granted it's a video game, but there's room to call it a visual novel. As such, there's so much room for fanfic writers to expand upon/rewrite certain parts of the story. I'm a fan of the game, and as of writing, there are only two Akiba's Trip fanfics on Fanfiction.com.

As a fact, I don't even think Fanfiction.com had it as a topic until recently. Sad face.

Hungry Ghost

RegalFirebird
Dragon Age, for sure. I can't seem to find anyone here who wants to talk about it!!!

I find that kind of strange since that's a massively popular fandom right now. Inquisition was just released last year so that fandom is still roaring.

Divine Genius

RWBY. I know it's kind of popular already, but until people I actually know in real life notice it, I say it deserves more attention. It is only in its 3 season(volume,whatevs) though, so that might contribute to the lack of fanbase compared to other shows I've seen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff