Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you consider yourself to be body positive?

Yes 0.38888888888889 38.9% [ 28 ]
No 0.125 12.5% [ 9 ]
I don't know 0.23611111111111 23.6% [ 17 ]
Sorta but not for obese people 0.25 25.0% [ 18 ]
Total Votes:[ 72 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6

frillhaunt's Kouhai

Interstellar Gekko

Frankly I think we are all just people and needed to be treated equally. Look if you are unhappy about how you look and can change it then change it. Fat , thin , Blonde , Brunette , Shaven armpits , Hairy arm pits. Who cares.I love you as long as you aren't a douche..
CosmicJazzKitten
Old Blue Collar Joe
CosmicJazzKitten
Old Blue Collar Joe
Because, while some small portion of them it is glandular, the vast majority it is because they are ******** gluttons. They eat anything that sits still too long and their idea of exercise is walking to the fridge for another gallon of Rocky Road.

I would like a full study on the diet and exercise habits of EVERY single "fat" person in the world and then I want you to make nice detailed info-graphics after going through the math on the data you gathered. Your assignment is due by the end of the day. neutral

My rebuttal is ******** them. You can run around and try to make the world full of hugs and hershey kisses, I'm a realist. When I am conducting interviews I will go off statistical information and use that to assist me in my final determination, rather than touchy feely horseshit because someone is ashamed that they haven't seen their toes without assistance of a mirror in ten ******** years but can tell you how long it takes to wolf down a large pepperoni pizza by yourself.

So... *pulls out a red sharpie* I see you have decided to not do the project that would make or break your thesis... how lazy. *opens grade book and makes the appropriate marks for this failure* Oh well. Can't save everyone from ignorance. neutral

The only ignorance being displayed is your refusal to accept facts that reality counts dollars, especially on the job sight, where productivity rules. Nothing else matters, and statistics have proven that fat people take more sick days, produce less and are all around less efficient in a working environment.
That's the fun part about reality. It doesn't waste time with touchy feely horse s**t so someone can go to bed with this illusion of improving the world with nice words when reality is you help them more by offering to exercise with them at the gym. If they show up then they have a work out partner through their journey.
If they don't because they have a hot date with a box of Twinkies? ******** them and their arteries. I am not wasting time on losers that choose to be so.

Sexy Bunny

14,100 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Person of Interest 200
CosmicJazzKitten
I like the body positivity movement. I can feel human again because of it. neutral
ME too 3nodding
Sometimes, BP means being a beautiful person of healthy weight with a huge a** and having the guts to wear daisy dukes.

You know you're gonna get some haters, but you just have to be positive and brush them off.

Those people should just keep their hateful comments to themselves, or tell it to my face so I can give them an earful about their judgmental ways.

Shameless Mystic

Plata Plomo y Sangre
Aporeia
Since when was fat ever not an insult, at least in western society?

Being fat and pale was a sign of wealth for many years during pre-industrial revolution times.
Yes, and the general populous just LOVED the rich folk, didn't they?

Fanatical Smoker

AbsurdEffigy
It doesn't seem like the movement has made it into Gaia, but body positivity is getting very popular among other sites and groups. It essentially represents that all bodies are good bodies and that no one, regardless of their weight especially, should be treated poorly based on appearance. Some people feel that this movement of people is supporting obesity, and in some cases accuses people of encouraging it. However, this is not the case.

I am going to focus on weight primarily, because I am a fairly large individual. I get picked last for jobs, am discriminated against in public, and even harassed for my weight. Weight should not be an immediate discerning factor when considering someone for employment or even friendship. There needs to be more media representation of fat people to start to diminish the stereotypes that follow larger individuals. And most importantly the word "fat" needs to be returned to its status as a descriptor and not as a insult.

If somebody is morbidly obese it impacts their mobility, their overall health and their life expectancy, not to mention the logistics of physics presenting certain limitations on size in the workplace. I completely disagree with discriminating against people for whatever aesthetic reasons but it is possible to say employers do have a right to consider obesity as a factor when hiring. It's a business not a love in.
village midget
AbsurdEffigy
It doesn't seem like the movement has made it into Gaia, but body positivity is getting very popular among other sites and groups. It essentially represents that all bodies are good bodies and that no one, regardless of their weight especially, should be treated poorly based on appearance. Some people feel that this movement of people is supporting obesity, and in some cases accuses people of encouraging it. However, this is not the case.

I am going to focus on weight primarily, because I am a fairly large individual. I get picked last for jobs, am discriminated against in public, and even harassed for my weight. Weight should not be an immediate discerning factor when considering someone for employment or even friendship. There needs to be more media representation of fat people to start to diminish the stereotypes that follow larger individuals. And most importantly the word "fat" needs to be returned to its status as a descriptor and not as a insult.

If somebody is morbidly obese it impacts their mobility, their overall health and their life expectancy, not to mention the logistics of physics presenting certain limitations on size in the workplace. I completely disagree with discriminating against people for whatever aesthetic reasons but it is possible to say employers do have a right to consider obesity as a factor when hiring. It's a business not a love in.

Do you even know what morbidly obese means? Honestly, do you? Because I am morbidly obese according to any doctor I meet. My BMI determines that. It does NOT affect my mobility, and my health is none of my employers concern. Assuming a fat person cannot do x, y or z simply because the hiring manager is not personally experienced with fit fatties is BULLSHIT. I get passed over for jobs I know for a fact I can do better than most people. Just because of my weight. Which, as I mentioned, is bull s**t.

Fanatical Smoker

AbsurdEffigy
village midget
AbsurdEffigy

Do you even know what morbidly obese means? Honestly, do you? Because I am morbidly obese according to any doctor I meet. My BMI determines that. It does NOT affect my mobility, and my health is none of my employers concern. Assuming a fat person cannot do x, y or z simply because the hiring manager is not personally experienced with fit fatties is BULLSHIT. I get passed over for jobs I know for a fact I can do better than most people. Just because of my weight. Which, as I mentioned, is bull s**t.
Reality check time, if you really are morbidly obese you are not fit, it's not a grey area. http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/departments-centers/bariatrics/right-for-you/morbid-obesity.aspx

Employees' health is an employer's concern, especially a potential employer. They are running a business not a charity, days lost to sickness costs money. Nobody is obliged to employ anybody else, employers also steer clear of people with mental health issues and addiction problems; people in wheelchairs don't get hired for thousands of jobs because it's not physically possible for them to fulfil the role. Is it all just society discriminating or are there certain circumstances you can think of like I can - say, a pilot, or life guard or a car park kiosk attendant where it's actually just practical reasoning that prevents a morbidly obese person from qualifying for the job?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff