No, I don't use Windows. 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 18 ]
< 1 2

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
The stop of Windows XP updates isn't a big deal to most people because they have either upgraded, never had Windows XP or use it for other uses like backing up their home server and such and offline work.
Jin-Andrews
i wish microsoft would create an operating system that they can support for 100 years.

Quite impossible. No one has a clue as to what architecture we'll be using 100 years from now.
nitrocat
Jin-Andrews
i wish microsoft would create an operating system that they can support for 100 years.

Quite impossible. No one has a clue as to what architecture we'll be using 100 years from now.

extrapolating from past experience, it'll still be x86 based.
Flamesaw-chan
nitrocat
Jin-Andrews

extrapolating from past experience, it'll still be x86 based.
Not for long. The architecture is reaching the limits of what Intel and AMD can push it to do. That, combined with the strong push for more efficient architectures in the datacenter, and the ubiquity of ARM on mobile devices, I don't see x86 lasting more than another 10 years, if that.

AMD has already bet the farm on ARM on the server, and even Intel seems to be looking into getting a new ISA. x86 is simply too complicated to make it efficient - more and more silicon is dedicated to just the x86 instruction decoder, and it's not going to get any smaller as long as they keep bolting more extensions onto it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff