Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Check out my results on 6/19:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Compared to last night:

It's evil, I tells ya! Eeeeviiiiil!!!!
You're on wireless. What do you expect?

Verizon, AT&T, and the others have always been dropping the ball on wireless - promising 100% national coverage and infrastructure to support unlimited data for only the $4bn in the loose change they already have, and then never spending it (in AT&T's case, they claim they can only get the coverage and infrastructure if they buy T-mobile for $40bn.)

Get a land line or gtfo.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Psychic, I agree 100% in principle. However, my reality is a bit different and this is my choice or dialup. Where I live, the only cable companies are Comcrap (the devil) and WOW (shittiest service bar none). VZW Home Fusion might be a possibility, but it involves mounting an outdoor antenna, which I don't know how to do. DSL has never been available in my neighborhood and Google Fiber is a distant dream. Dialup is out of the question, so it's this or nothing.

At any rate, a little chat with my mobile broadband reseller seems to have remedied the situation (at least for now). I'll have to see what happens when I reach the 5 GB threshold again, as they were kind enough to reset my usage to 0 GB.

Scarred Sword Heart
[...] mounting an outdoor antenna, which I don't know how to do.
You take an antenna, affix it to an aluminum pipe, then bolt the pipe to your house with a mounting bracket.

It's not that difficult. 9-year-old amateur radio operators have been doing it for years.
I have to agree with Psychic, I did that when I was 14. Just google it. The internet is great for that kind of stuff. And just to give you an inaccurate idea of what that antenna will do...

The antenna on our building was shut off very briefly for repairs (something about a loose solar panel on our building hitting it?) and so we mooched off of the building next door with some sort of emergency system. This was our speeds then.

This is once we got the antenna again.
MyNameIsKir
I have to agree with Psychic, I did that when I was 14. Just google it. The internet is great for that kind of stuff. And just to give you an inaccurate idea of what that antenna will do...

The antenna on our building was shut off very briefly for repairs (something about a loose solar panel on our building hitting it?) and so we mooched off of the building next door with some sort of emergency system. This was our speeds then.

This is once we got the antenna again.
Why is your upload higher than your download?
The20

It's a trend I've noticed with non-major ISPs. When I was working for my university, upload was always way faster for example. I also visited other schools to help out since some universities like to scratch each other's backs and the ones providing their own internet service always also followed that trend. I'd assume that it has to do with whatever is causing that correlation. I know correlation != causation but it's my only guess.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
MyNameIsKir
The20

It's a trend I've noticed with non-major ISPs. When I was working for my university, upload was always way faster for example. I also visited other schools to help out since some universities like to scratch each other's backs and the ones providing their own internet service always also followed that trend. I'd assume that it has to do with whatever is causing that correlation. I know correlation != causation but it's my only guess.

In the case of universities I can guess it's so that handing in assignments electronically isn't a total PITA.
Lanackse-Kanvae
MyNameIsKir
The20

In the case of universities I can guess it's so that handing in assignments electronically isn't a total PITA.

There's more than student use of the network. I worked in the communications department where it was all about creating and distributing media. Especially video. Most of the traffic was media being uploaded to websites such as YouTube, blogs, Facebook, etc, and most especially those working from home downloading raw media files. Upload was still faster.

Everyday Cat

Holy ********. What are these numbers in the hundreds?! I've never seen speeds like those. Not on T-Mobile or even the home wifi through EarthLink...

Tmo throttles to 2G if you go over the data cap. I spent three weeks at those speeds because I got overzealous with the streaming. I made a strict rule not to stream video on the phone anymore but I've still eaten nearly 1.5GB in less than two weeks...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff