Welcome to Gaia! ::

::STORY::

Znasha - one of the greatest underground kingdoms in the world. Home and paradise to a great nation of vampires... And home to where a great battle took place long, long ago...

Znasha, an underground kingdom of vampires, was ruled by a great king. He was a noble, an aristocrat, and he ruled his kingdom with an iron fist, punishing those that broke the laws. The kingdom, built far down underground to escape the sun's burning light, was built under a human city that was on the surface above ground. Whenever a vampire needed a meal, he simply went up above ground at night and had his fill of any human in the city, then retreated back to his underground home before dawn. Most, if not all of the nobles, the vampires with the purest and most untainted blood in Znasha, only drank human blood. They refused to drink anything else. And most other vampires, nobles or not, were like this as well.

But there were some that were different, that were nicer and kinder towards humans. These vampire refused to drink human blood, instead resorting to drinking the blood of animals or other creature to fill their hunger for blood. To the other vampires, this was viewed as not only odd, but a horrible thing. Those that drank human blood looked down upon those that didn't, and the vampires of Znasha started to become separated into two parts. For a while, the two groups lived in Znasha, both despising each other yet managing to live in the same kingdom without fighting. This did not last long though.

The king's dislike of the vampires that refused human blood slowly grew. He kept his dislike in check for as long as he could, for he didn't want fighting to break out in his kingdom. Though he disliked them, they were all still of the same race, and all still vampires of the same kingdom. But soon, members of his royal family started to get angry with him for not doing anything about the ones that opposed him and all that vampires stood for. They said that the non-blood drinking vampires were giving the nobles, the ones that stayed true to their race and blood, a bad reputation. Somehow, the king's own family convinced him to take action against the betrayers.

One day, a terrible thing happened. Under the orders of the king, all the vampires that followed under his rule, those that stayed true to their blood, were gathered together in the great hall of his throne room. There, he ordered them all to seek out those that defied him, the ones that betrayed their own kind, and get rid of them. Loyal to their king and blood, they started a great war with the betrayers. Vampires fought, some that had once been brothers or friends now turned on each other and fighting each other to the death. The battle, so big and explosive, destroyed half of Znasha, part of the city turning into rubble and ash. The battle moved above ground before the rest of the city could be destroyed. But because of how great the battle was, the city of humans that once stood above Znasha crumbled, reduces to ruins. The battle, though it only lasted for one night, destroyed much. Many humans and vampires alike died in this great fight.

After the sun rose, the remaining groups of vampires split up. The remaining vampires that stayed true to their blood returned down to the underground city of Znasha. Though half of it was in ruins, they decided they would stay and live in the half that was still standing. The other vampires, the so called betrayers, fled away from Znasha. It is unknown where they went, but they are still alive. It has been over 500 years since that great battle and both sides are still fierce enemies. There have been incidences of fighting between the two groups when they meet, but for the most part, they avoid each other. Znasha was slowly rebuilt back to it's old self and the vampires their thrive as they once did, under a different king though, the son of the previous king, who undoubtedly follows in his father's footsteps.

Now, with both sides weak on power, even after 500 years after the great battle, their is danger ahead. Their mortal enemies, since before the battle, are becoming stronger. An organization of vampire hunters is quickly getting stronger and seek to rid the world of all vampires. The only way for the once great kingdom of Znasha to survive it if the two groups put aside their differences and work together. But they still refuse to do that, disliking each other above all else. And with the Hunters getting stronger and closer, it's only a matter of time before they are destroyed...
::MY CHARACTERS::

~Name~
Zaphikel Arehandora (but no one knows his name, because he just tells everyone to call him Z)
~Gender~
Male
~Age~
247 (appears to be 20-21)
~Race~
Vampire
~Powers & Abilities~
Zaphikel has many different powers. His voice has a hypnotic effect on those that are weaker than him, and he can basically have them do whatever he wants them to do, just by telling them to do it. Also, he has telepathy and can read minds, as well as send telepathic messages. Though he can't see into the future, he has a knack for knowing what someone will say or do before they do it. He can also manipulate shadows. He can make the shadows take on any form, be it an animal, or some unknown creature. That, and he can melt in with the shadows, which is good in order to hide from unwanted eyes.
~Appearance~
Click Pl0x :3
~Personality~
Zaphikel is a very complex person, because he has a split personality. One side of him is very kind and gentle, but at the same time, his other side is evil and sadistic. Usually, he remains on his kind side, but if he is angered, his other personality will take over, which is very bad. His kind side is also very...well brought up, if you want to call it that. He is always polite and gentlemen like, though he can be a little bit of a pervert sometimes. But he is well mannered. His other side though is the exact opposite. His other side is rude, self-centered, sadistic. Just the most evil person you would ever have met! He'd kill you just for the hell of it. When this side of him comes out, nobody around him is safe.
~Background~
Zaphikel is a descendant of the one that started the great war that took place in Znasha over 500 years ago. His father was the son of the current king of Znasha, who is the son of the man that started the war. From the moment that Zaphikel was born, he was instantly spoiled rotten by his parents and the rest of the royal family. Anyone that was a direct descendant of the one that started the war was treated better than anyone else in Znasha. Zaphikel got everything he wanted, becoming quite a spoiled child. His grandfather, the king, spoiled him most of all. There was nothing he didn't have. But then, one day, when his father had gone out to find a meal, just any wandering human, he never came back. He had been killed by a Hunter that had found him. Zaphikel was too young to understand what happened, but he was sad that his mother was sad. For a while, things were gloomy. The king's heir had died, which meant that Zaphikel would take up the thrown when he was old enough. That was something good, and after getting over the death of Zaphikel's father, things went back to normal and got a little happier. The only one that didn't get over it was Zaphikel's mother. She cried every day. She had truly loved her husband, and could barely stand to live without him. Soon, the pain became far too much and she ended up killing herself. Zaphikel ended up finding her dead body in her bedroom. He had become older, and he knew what happened when he saw his mother's bloody corpse. He drowned in grief and pain. The scene scarred him for life, seeing his mother dead before his eyes and in such a state. His grandfather started taking care of him after the incident, teaching him and helping him along and preparing him for when he would one day rule. As he grew older, Zaphikel started hiding his emotions behind a mask of elegance and royalty, acting high and mighty. And yet there were times when anger and rage suddenly took over his mind and he went on rampages. He developed a split personality that everyone disliked. It turned the kind and polite boy into a horrid being. Everyone either worried over him and tried to help him or became distant and kept their distance from him. As he grew older, his grandfather helped him to keep his split personality in check the best he could. But it was still there, hidden within him and torturing him. Now, he takes care of himself. His grandfather is still king and still watches over him though, keeping him in check for when he will become king. Zaphikel lives with the other members of the royal family in the castle, but he likes to do things for himself instead of have a servant do it for him and mess up. He ventures out of the underground city every night, enjoying the moon and stars, and he likes to be alone, though doesn't mind company. Though he never says anything, the memory of his mother still haunts him. He misses both his parents terribly. And now that he actually understands what happened to his father, he hates Hunters and wishes to destroy them before they destroy him and anyone else he cares about.
~Extra~
Zaphikel is bisexual, though favors his own gender more than women. It's not that he doesn't like women. He does, he just find his own gender more attractive and easier to understand, rather than a complicated woman. Though there is an occasional girl he'll take a liking to. But that doesn't mean he is some cross-dressing, high-pitched, pop-tart. He's all male. Zaphikel enjoys many things. He likes taking walks alongside a river that runs a little ways away from the entrance to the underground kingdom. He likes watching the stars and enjoys toying with people in a slightly mean way, but never too mean. He also likes animals, especially birds. He also likes midnight thunderstorms, finding the rain, flashes of lightning and the booming thunder calming in a way. Above all else, he hates the Hunters, and as said before, he doesn't have too much of an attraction to the opposite sex.

I am not afraid to keep on living,
I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

THE CHARACTER OF LALA

Hello, and welcome to my version of the world we live in.

I use the term live rather loosely.

My name is Numb3rs Almanzo Oranski, but you can call me Num. It’s much easier to say, and it’s a lot more like that of the average Joe, if you ask me. Everybody tells me I look like jailbait. I don’t remember how old I am, so it’s pointless to ask. All you need to know is that I’m old enough to be your grandfather – several times over. Yet there’s not a wrinkle on my face… How do I do it?

Simple. My mama was a vampire.

So am I.

Don’t worry though, your neck is perfectly safe around me. I won’t drink you dry – though that doesn’t mean I won’t hurt you if it comes down to it. You’ll probably think I’m girly for saying this, but I like the color pink. Yeah, I’ll take it how I can get it. That doesn’t mean that I’m gonna go hunting for a man though – girls are just as attractive.

I’m self-proclaimed man-whore. For some reason, people find me handsome. I think that’s a load of crap, but then, I think a lot of things are a load of crap.

You may have guessed I’ve got a bit of an attitude problem. You probably won’t notice it talking to me, though. All smiles and teasing and laughing, that’s me. You’ll never see me cry. In part, because my tears are made of blood, and people find it a bit creepy. In part, because that’s not who I am. I smile, I nod, I stand up and move on.

I’m the last of my bloodline. My mama fell for a human and turned him, so when the time came around for a war, we were put on the side of protection. Not that we want to say stop drinking blood – just stop murdering them when you do. I know, I know, now whose speaking the load of crap? Don’t worry, I’ve heard all the insults before. Blood-traitor. Filth. Human-lover. I don’t care; my old man was one of the strongest men I ever met, and he was born a human. So yeah, I’ll fight you to the death if you try to take a bite out of my friends. It’s who I am. I won’t apologize for it. If you want me to go away, bring on the brawl and I’ll kick your a**.

You doubt me? I fight with twin blades, forged centuries ago. They’re infused with the blood of my ancestors, and they cut through almost anything. My powers have infused them with two things. The ability to burn a corpse, inherited from my mama, comes from my right hand. The ability to go through objects I do not wish to cut, inherited from my old man, comes from my left.

As you may have guessed, that means I can vanish at will. It’s not so much vanishing as blending – hard to explain. Humans don’t see it, regardless, and vampires can but only if they look real hard. I don’t use it often, because it drains me. I mostly rely on my enhances senses, and my enhances strength and speed. Mama said I was faster than the other boys.

I never knew, because I never met the other boys.

Hi, I’m Num.

You’ll like me, I promise.

NUM
BOY-OH-BOY
LOOKS 18
ACTUALLY 250
VAMPIRE
VANISH**, ENHANCED SPEED
BLOND
GREEN EYES

** see above for explanation of vanish, as well as a brief insight to family, history, abilities, and his personality.
** picture to be included at a later date.

Tell me if you stay I'll be forgiven,
Nothing you can say can stop me going home.

'Cause I see you lying next to me,
With words I thought I'd never speak,
Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.

In the shadow of a building, a young man ran his hand through his shaggy blond hair. It was getting long – too long for his liking, he admitted to himself. Overdue for a cut, the mass of hair spilled into his eyes more often than not. Though, he noted as he glanced down the length of the sidewalk, his shaggy hair did tend to help his case more often than not. Narrowing vivid green eyes, he glanced about, ensuring that the charm he wore around his wrist, the one that concealed his true identity, was in place.

The small jade stone, attached to a cord of black leather, was secure. Almost the exact shade of the youths startling eyes, it blinked up at him, reflecting the light of the area around him. Smirking, the youth dropped his sleeve back over the jewelry and stepped from the shadows, quietly but purposefully striding forwards down the sidewalk. His head was bowed slightly, and his face was covered in shadow. Well, partially covered. Enough for it to be difficult to see his features, at least.

Hands stuffed deep into the pockets of his dark pants, he idly toyed with the chain there, the cool metal re-assuring against his hand. A vivid reminder of what he was doing, why he was out this night. A message to be sent to another place. Now, if only he could find somebody to relay his message… Glancing about, he eyed the passing groups for what one would call a suitable victim. A loner, one who was an easy target for the darkness in this world. Perhaps if he found an appetizing one, he could follow it until one of his kind trapped it…

But no, most of the people surrounding him were in groups, and all were very much human. The beat of their hearts was proof enough. A frown marred his features. The rundown features of the building surrounding him flagged this as the poor end of town, hunting grounds as he had once been told it was called. The place where disappearances were normal and never looked into very thoroughly. Where in the massed of bodies, a single corpse would be unnoticed, uninvestigated, unimportant. But yet, this night, though it was clear and beautiful, a perfect night, he could see no prey.

And no prey meant no predator.

His nose wrinkled turning his boyish face darker for a moment, his startling eyes – the only feature that ever gave him away – cast about a moment before dropping to the pavement in front of his well-worn shoes. His pace slowed, his body moving closer to the cold buildings, the graffiti covered landscape. Idly kicking a stone, he mused silently that he probably looked more akin to the type of people he was searching out at the moment. Alone, small for his gender, a bit on the poor side, with clothes that had seen better days… and of course his pale face – though clean, it was the type of face that many of the drug-users had. Thin and pale, and exhausted.

An idea occurred, but he ignored it immediately. Trying to trap one of his kind into catching him would do nothing but start a fight, and that was the last thing he wanted. All that would accomplish would be a fight, and really, fighting would only draw attention to himself and to whomever he fought with. And that, he knew, would draw out the whole reason he was out this night, looking for the right bait to his trap.

A sigh escaped his lips, and he idly eyed a bar down the street from him. Perhaps there would be a bit of bait in there? A scowl marred his young features, and he shook his head, reaching his hand up to push aside his unruly hair once more. That wouldn’t work. Even if he could find one of his kind in there, how would he get them alone to relay his message.

Wrapping his fingers around the chain in his pocket, he paused, eyes darting around at his surroundings. He was beginning to lose hope.

And dammit, he had the feeling he was being watched.

The blond glanced around, almost nervous. The hair on the back of his arms prickled in warning, and he listening, hearing no footsteps. But still. This uncanny feeling…

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
Just outside of a city, some long ways off in the middle of a seemingly quiet forest, a dark figure slowly stalked through the shadows. He didn't make a sound as he walked. Not a blade of grass moved as his boot-clad feet passed over them nor did the bushes rustle as he passed through them. It was almost as if the figure was a shadow itself. And it was obvious that this figure that walked with the shadows had a dark aura. As he passed by through the trees and bushes, the sounds of the night, the crickets chirping, the occasional owl sounding it's call in the night, they went silent, almost as if afraid to make a noise as the figure walked by.

The figure got closer and closer to the city until he was just on the outskirts of town, hidden within the trees. Standing still for a moment, anyone that passed by would have not even seen him. The only thing you could see was a pair of dark red eyes, glimmering slightly in the darkness. That is, until one lone ray of moonlight cast it's glimpse into the shadows, illuminating the spot.

A boy, seemingly not a day over the age of 20. He had somewhat long dark hair that hung around his neck and just barely brushed against his collar bone. He had piercing red eyes, a deep crimson, the color of blood that held an almost unearthly glow. His shirt was the same color, soft silk barely clinging to his body and open in the front, showing his pale, unmarred skin that held not a scratch, scar, or mark on it. He wore a pair of black pants, clean and made of a very fine fabric. His boots were black as well with silver buckles on them. He wore silver earrings, two in one ear and three in the other, a couple rings and what looked like a black choker made of barbed wire around his neck.

All in all...he looked quite good. Too good, in fact. Looking around the outskirts of the village, he obviously stuck out like a sore thumb. While the people there were dressed in old rags with dirt and stains, he was dressed in the finest of things. If he were to walk through the streets, no doubt it would bring trouble. But as if the moon itself favored him, as quickly as it had lit up the spot where he stood, it just as quickly disappeared, allowing only a short glimpse of the figure before he once again disappeared.

No, he would not risk going out in the open. With the type of people that resided in this part of this particular town, there was no telling what could happen. Only the lowest of the low lived here. The worthless beings that had nowhere else to go, those that had no fortune, family, or anything. It was the bad part of town... But to him, it was the perfect place.

He slowly started off, staying in the shadows on the outskirts of town as he walked by, his blood red eyes moving to look at each and every person that he spotted, sizing them up. He'd pick the most worthless one he could find. The one that would be missed the least out of the dirty wretches. He'd take his time though finding the perfect one. With his heightened senses, he would be able to tell which one had the best blood for the taking. He would be patient. It would be worth it.

He stopped beside a tree, the leaves above rustling slightly as a gentle breeze sifted through the leaves. He eyed different groups of humans. He couldn't attack a group. He had to take a loner, one that had no friends. He had to do is secretly. These humans, they were not strong or smart enough to be able to tell him apart from any other human. If it weren't for his clothes, he'd fit right in. That's how lowly these creatures were compared to him. Though he would never say it, that is what he believed. Vampires were the superior race above all...

As he continued on quietly alone the outskirts, hiding in the shadows of the buildings and trees, he searched out his victim. He ignored groups and looked for the ones that were alone. soon, his eyes came across one, and they lingered on the human. It was a boy, blond hair, dressed in horrid clothes just as everyone else. Something about this boy struck him as odd though...

He seemed like any other of the lowly humans that walked through the village, and yet there was something definitely different about him, something that he could not place. Intrigued, to say the least, his eyes followed the blond haired boy, observing every step he took every movement he made, where he went...just watching.

Perhaps...he'd found tonight's meal?

A sudden feeling, a sudden quietness lulled over his ears and in that moment, Num knew exactly what was watching him. His pace did not slow, however, for he was not afraid of the one who was watching him. His first instinct had been wrong – the one watching him was not a threat to his survival, at least, not on the level which he had originally thought. For all he knew, he could be being hunted by somebody extremely powerful, though he sincerely doubted it. The ones with power had a habit of striking fast and furious, and ignoring the rule of taking a loner, enthralled as they were with the misery of the human race.

Slipping his hand from his pocket, he brushed it one more time across the chain, the fabric of his sweater hiding his hands from view. Debating whether to tug his hood up took only a moment, and he did it, hiding his face from the view of those passing by even more thoroughly. It would not do to have them notice him, have them worry if there were a sound. Bringing a human into the fray was not what he wanted.

No, he had gotten ready for this when he’d dressed, albeit subconsciously. Though he was poor, he had better clothing, but instead he chose his jeans, holes in the knees and well worn to a light sheen. His shoes, scuffed and with broken shoelaces. His shirt, ragged edges peeking from below his sweater. The sweater itself was too big, the sleeves easily swallowing his hands and the neckline torn a small amount, slipping precariously over one shoulder, as if the one he’d taken it from had much broader shoulders. It easily sunk past his butt, the ends ragged in the same mannerism as his shirt, just as the cuffs held holes for his thumbs to easily sink through. No, he’d chosen these clothes just so he would blend in, just so that the one hunting him wouldn’t notice anything different about him.

For the same reason, he kept his gaze low, his eyes half closed. His hair was dirty, unwashed and unkempt, for washing it glowed almost ethereal, and when it glowed, it was obvious he was not human, not prey. Thought this night, that is precisely what he intended to be. A shiver of the hunt raced down his spine and tapped it down, not needing his own instincts to cause problems this night. This was about something far bigger than his personal vendetta against the blood users, and he referred to them. No, this was important, and all he needed was to draw out the hunter.

Num slowed once more, struggling within his mind to hunt out the instincts he shared with the predator watching him. What drew him to prey? Though he now drank ‘filthy’ blood, the blood of animals or whatever else he could find that was fit to survive on, he retained the natural born instincts of his darker nature, the ability to find a human and attack, and in an instant, he knew exactly what to do to seal the deal.

Of course, he was bargaining on his ability to fight, his ability to subdue his opponent before he was killed. For if he was killed… well, the message would fall dead in his hands, and that lapse would be taken advantage of. A scowl marred his features at the thought, and he frowned, questioning his line of thinking. Perhaps he ought to go back to confronted one whilst it was feeding? But no, he’d tried that once, and the blood-bloated one had wound up laughing, and taking off, having had his meal and thus, having no reason to remain in the human city. No, no, that wouldn’t work. He had to get closer, and if this did it, well then, this is what he had to do.

Reaching into the pocket of his hooded sweatshirt, he pulled from the black fabric what almost appeared to be a bag of icing sugar. Those who walked the street knew it was not though, knew what it true was. Nose candy, he had heard it called, and he figured it would serve for as good a reason as any to step from the light, to beckon the one hunting him by bluntly being alone, vulnerable, and not exactly caring to watch around himself. Of course he wasn’t going to inhale the stuff, but he’d heard many a time that those who drank blood liked such things, the effect it had on the blood they drank almost intoxicating. After all, a vampire could not do drugs, but those with a few in their system tasted all the sweeter.

Glancing around and is checking to see if he was being watched, the short youth ducked into an alleyway, apparently nervous that a human might see him doing so. Finding a crate, he set a card of plastic on it, and dumped the white substance onto the plastic, holding another chunk of plastic and slowly, jerkily separating it into lines. Having watching the action enough times to know how it worked, Num grasped a straw, holding it over a line with perfect precision. Pretending to inhale was easy enough, though he held his straw a bit too far from the line for it to do any good. Instead he blew out slightly, the puff of air causing the white substance to stire and move as if being sucked up.

In another world, Num would have been an excellent actor.

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
((Am I doing okay? :0 *is trying to keep up with you* XD I'm trying my best! lol!))

Zaphikel quietly watched as the blond fiddled around with things. How he looked around nervously as he took out a bag of what looked like sugar. But it was obvious to know what it really was, especially with all the drug addicts, alcoholics, and other lowlifes that walked the streets. When he saw the bag, for an instant, a little shiver of excitement went up his spine and he licked his lips, his tongue passing over the sharp pair of fangs and his eyes glimmering slightly. But as soon as he'd had it, it went away as he twitched slightly, displeased with himself.

It would seem that he disliked the stuff, and in a way, he did. And yet, he could not deny that the feeling afterwards of drinking someone's blood that had that sweet powder flowing through it...that it was just wondrous. He would never forget the first time he had drank blood from someone that had taken the powder, how it has such an effect on him. It had been an accident, but an accident he found to be quite good afterwards. Though, at the same time, he came to find the he very much disliked it. Though it may give anyone, vampire or human, a wonderful high, it also made them weak, and for vampires, that was not a good thing. For vampires, if they were to lose their concentration over such a thing, and walk into a very dangerous situation, it could mean life and death, or whatever concept of it applied to them.

And yet, when he saw the blond duck into an alley with the bag, he could not help but want to follow. After all, he reasoned in his mind, even if he were to slightly lose his concentration due to the drug in the blood, he is strong. He would still be able to dispose of anyone that dare try to confront him. After all, he didn't even really need concentration in order for his pets to protect him. And as if listening to his thoughts, the shadow of the building he was standing in shuddered slightly, moving as if it were alive. But as quickly as it had moved, it went still, not a sound having been made when it happened.

A slight smirk playing on his lips as he decided that he'd found his prey. He moved quietly through the shadows, headed towards the spot where the boy had went, within the dark alley. It would be a perfect spot, completely hidden within the darkness between two buildings. But it would be decidedly different than what usually happened. In this town, all the killings of humans by vampires seeking a meal, they were done by low-class, mindless ones. It was seldom, rare, that a member of the royal family would actually go out and get a human for themselves. No. Instead, they had their humans brought to them, in the very depths of their home, where they could do as they wish to the human before they drank from him. But Zaphikel did things differently. He went out for his victims, but of course he would not do it the way of any old vampire. He had a reputation, an elegance that he had to do things by.

Within seconds, he was soon hidden within the alley the blond had gone into, having come in from the opposite end that the boy had gone in. Completely hidden within the shadows, he decided he would toy with the boy a little first. Get him scared and riled up, that way the blood would run quicker in his veins and would just taste all the sweeter.

The shadows, sensing the will of their master, circled quietly around the alley, getting rid of what little light shone through and turning the surrounding into a black abyss. Of course, it would look like just any extremely dark, unforgiving alley to anyone that walked by. With all the humans weakened by the massive amounts of drugs and alcohol they take, they would be too slow and stupid to see anything. Their senses were too dull and their minds to numb to comprehend what could possibly be happening within the darkness.

Fully consumed, not a sign of light within the shadow-covered alley, Zaphikel smirked a little, knowing he would not be seen. The blond wouldn't even be able to see an inch in front of his face, let alone 10 feet away, where he was hiding. A glimmer shone in his red orbs as he licked his lips again, a shiver running through him at the anticipation of what was to come. Just thinking of the hot crimson liquid flowing into his mouth and down his throat made him want it all the more. No blood compared to that of a human. Sure, if he had to, he'd just as well drink the blood of a dog. But still, given a choice between a human and some animal, he'd chose the human any day.

For a moment, there was silence. But then, Zaphikel's brain went to work. His lips unmoving, he spoke into the blond's mind, his own delving in and connecting, their mind in tune. He could hear what the blond thought, as could the blond hear what he thought. That way, everything could remain silent within the dark alley. Of course, the chances of the blond screaming like an idiot from being on a high were entirely possible as well. If that be the case, he would simply silence any annoying words that happened to fall from his lips.

You know...that stuff is terribly addicting and dangerous...especially for such a weak-willed being...

His voice, spoken through the mind, transferred directly to the blond, sounding quiet and calm, more than likely sounding to the blond as if the voice was coming from all around him. And with that thought, Zaphikel merely watched, eyes narrowed through the darkness as he observed the reaction of the boy, anticipating he would more than likely become confused and frightened. Of course, that is indeed what he wanted...

[[You're doing great. If you want me to tone it down at any point, just say so. I knwo some people get annoyed by my length at times]]

His hands shook as he continued to separate lines and pretend to draw them into himself, his movements choppy, uneven. That, Num figured, wasn’t a huge deal, because a junkie tended to shake after they were doing their drugs anyhow. Or was it when they weren’t on drugs? He was unsure, having never had the toxic substance himself. Gripping the bits of plastic in his hands, he worked the last line as long as possible, trying to buy time for the vampire to decide to take him – or not.

It occurred to him then that it was taking too much time, for a low-class citizen would have simply attacked, guzzled, and been gone. A trickle of worry dancing down his spine and he firmed his senses, ready for what might happen next. If the one about to attack him was stronger, then it could pose a very real problem. But now was not the time for such things. No, he had to get the one behind him to attack him, and soon, before they drew attention to themselves. As the shadows drew closer around his feet, Num frowned. But the moon should have kept the alley lit…

Glancing around as if alarmed, he noticed the thickening and condensing of the darkness, and inwardly cursed. A shadow user was difficult to find, and locate until the attacked. He had hoped to draw out the vampire and simply speak to him, but with the shadows moving as if alive, he doubted that would do much good. After all, he’d have to see the person he was speaking with, and without a source of light, he’d be helpless against a shadow-used. Well, not entirely helpless, but not doing his best. In any case, this was not necessarily a bad thing. Humans, at least, were bound to wander right past the alleyway, giving them more time to talk, and room to fight in need be. His arms twitched. Oh, how he hoped it did not come down to bloodshed.

The connection on his mind came as the darkness drew and flared around him. His hands, idly dropped the bits of plastic, ignoring the drug in a way a true used would never do. They, after all, would give their very lives to protect their habit, doing anything to obtain a supply of whatever substance they were currently abusing. He was not the same, however, for to him this was just a game of cat and mouse, to be played out as if a chess game. Narrowing his eyes at the tap on his mind, he carefully constructed a wall, having had a jokester of a friend with the dark gift before. Tumbling over random things like a flower in the sidewalk and a girl with a firm derriere, his mind became jumbled.

Ah well, that was how a junkies mind probably was, at any rate. The voice surprised him, as he’d never been communicated with in such a way before. But then, he’d never know much of the dark gifts, having been too young to be taught much of his abilities when he was left in the human city. The words almost caused him to laugh aloud. Instead, he allowed a small and somewhat amused smile to grace his lips, his hand curling around the bracelet he wore as a concealment charm. Now? No, not yet. Shaking his muscles a little, as though frightened, he glanced around wildly at the dark, his eyes shining the way a rabbits would in headlights. As though he were caught.

Of course, this was just a trick. Instead, he was casting about to see if he could find the direction from which he could sense the other in the alleyway. It was difficult, for he was bathed in darkness, and even with his sharper senses, the darkness was nearly complete. But still. He could almost make out a spot – no, two – of red. Those, he presumed, would be the eyes of the one with whom he would now have to speak. Turning to face away from the one in the shadows, he struggled with the concept of what a human should do in such a situation. In a moment, it hit Num. Moving backwards, almost clumsily, he shifted his back against a wall, his head turning as if searching for the street.

He didn’t scream, mainly because he didn’t want to draw unnecessary attention to the alley. But then, perhaps that would draw the unknown attacker closer? Knowing full well that later on he would hate himself for seeming week, he let loose a shrill yell, loud enough o seem frantic, but hopefully not loud enough to draw attention. The word should have been help, he supposed, but it came out a garbled mix of help and please. Proud of himself for his acting, he shifted along the wall, his head turning this way and that as if frantic and frightened of the words that had resounded in his ears. In reality, he was still trying to pinpoint the location of the one casting the dark in the alley.

Nervous movements of his hands, he drew them up to rake through his hair, a whimper escaping his lips as he moved along the wall. He knew, in a way, he was playing right into the hands of his attacked, for with a wall at his back, he had only three directions to go, and were he a regular human, but the time the attack came, it would be too late. Turning his head wildly to look for a source of light, he proposed the final act of the mouse taunting the cat, exposing his neck once, twice, three times. Unhindered by clothing of jewelry, his tendons flashed as he kept his head turned a bit too long, kept himself shaking as though terrified, while his mind replayed scenes from horror movies in his head.

You know the ones. Long dark alleys with a monster chasing the victim, ending in gory disembowelment on the pavement. Of course, he only knew of a few, but only a few moments had truly passed, so it would seem enough, he hoped.

It was laughable, really, for were the positions reversed, he would believe himself a scared little mouse.

Trying to sound as frightened as possible, he spoke, his voice a pathetic version of itself.

“Whose there! Show yourself. I know there’s somebody there!”

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
((Good. >w< Glad I'm going well! lol! Oh, and sorry it takes me so long to post. :0 You know why. ^^ *sweatdrop*))

Zaphikel watched as the boy looked around, seeming to just observe what was happening in the dark and just barely a hint of fright visible within him. He saw the nearly invisible twitching of his arms. He seemed all to calm...or perhaps not? Perhaps he was one of those slow ones, one of the ones that couldn't think straight... Regardless, he watched as the boy dropped the bits of plastic he had been using to separate the sugary substance and tumbled backwards from his spot away from the drugs, which made him twitch slightly. Why would someone so addicted to drugs do that? As far as he'd seen, people there would do nearly anything to get their fix, and do anything to keep it. How could this one so easily just abandon that which he needed probably the most? Another piece of the puzzle that did not fit.

He watched as the boy looked around, seemingly scared as he stumbled slightly, and yet he did not yet make a move. He stood rooted to the same spot, his eyes catching every movement, glance, and his ears listening intently to the noise that was made. His mind still connected to the boys, he watched at there was seemingly a quick moment that he went silent and still. He then felt a slight sizzle in the connection. He was slightly surprised by this, but he stayed still, an eyebrow raising slightly. And then, a whole jumble of thoughts started being transferred into his mind from the boy, far too many and far to jumbled for him to make out. After a few moments of listening, he simply tuned the thoughts out, a slight smirk playing on his face. Each second that passed by, he started doubting more and more that what he had once though was a human, was in fact what he thought.

But then how could he be so easily deceived if it were some creature other than a human. His senses of things were unmatched. He had a better sense of smell than a hundred bloodhounds, hearing so well he could hear things for miles away, sight that could see through the darkest of places and for far distances. How was it, if this person were not a human, how is it he could not see? No. He was right...this pathetic creature had to be a human. Though he still had doubts.

Zaphikel watched was the boy got a smirk on his face, which made him frown slightly. But as quickly as the smirk had appeared, it disappeared as another look of fright came over the young boy's features. Smiling in the face of danger? That was definitely not something any human would do. Not he was highly doubtful that he had caught a human. But then what, instead, had he caught? And if this really was the case, then why was this creature seemingly playing along? Why was he putting on a ruse and not just attacking? Did he think this a game? The thought that he was merely being toyed with somewhat angered Zaphikel, his eyes narrowing on the little fly that had gotten caught in his web. Was he being made a fool? He wouldn't stand for that if it was indeed what was going on. But still, he did not want to move. He had to make sure his assumptions were indeed correct.

As he continued watching the boy, the shadows completed their moving, completely covering the alley and blocking out the light completely, immersing them both in a world of the darkest black one would ever see, or rather NOT see. But these were his shadows, his pets. He had been accustomed to them ever since he had learned to control them, his eyes learning to see in their pitch blackness. He could still see the boy easily as well as the surroundings. To him, it was simply as if he had put on a pair of sunglasses.

Suddenly, he saw the boy's eyes connect with his as he looked over in his direction. Startling green eyes met his red ones. And for an instant Zaphikel wondered if he had been spotted. It seemed that those green orbs lingered just a couple second too long before the blond turned his head away. In those few seconds, so much was told, so much revealed. Just a glimpse into the eyes of his prey allowed him to see into his mind, past the jumbled thoughts. To see straight through him. Now he was certain. This was no human he was dealing with. He smirked slightly, almost chuckling slightly at how he could be lead on so easily, but he remained silent. But then, if not a human, what? He was now very interested in finding out what being had enough courage, or perhaps stupidity, to lead him into such a charade.

He watched the unknown being stumble back into the wall, the shadows shifting under the weight of the stranger. For it wasn't the wall he had stumbled into, it was the shadows. They were the walls now, and the floor, the ceiling, everything. They surrounded them like a big dark box, a force field of some kind. For when they were under his command, the shadows weren't just dark spots you could easily pass through. No. They could turn into solid moving things. Dangerous things. Suddenly, there was a small cry from the green eyed boy. Not loud enough to draw attention, but perfectly loud enough for Zaphikel to hear. Even if someone outside did hear it, they wouldn't be able to get in the alley.

Zaphikel credited the boy on his acting. He really had been believing for a while that he had caught a poor defenseless human. But it was hopeless now. Besides, his movement was just too slow now that he really observed him. He lingered too long on things. Overall, he acted good, but in an incident of life and death, one only has so long to stop and think of what to do. These things that the boy did, the stumbling, the falling, the looking around, whimpering, they were too well planned out. When one is truly frightened, these things just happen naturally, having very little control over one's self. This whole thing took place in only a few moments. And to any normal person, even if they were very observant, it would seem completely believable and true. But he knew how to examine things within seconds to determine a situation. You had to be fast to survive, after all.

He watched at his 'victim' turned his head a few times, exposing his neck. Zaphikel could not help but let his eyes stray to the tendons and muscles in the stranger's neck. Granted, it wasn't a human, and he was not looking at the boy as food any longer, but he could not deny that the creature intrigued him now. Not only the way he acted, but the way he looked. He didn't pay attention before, after all, why would you care what your victim looks like, seeing as you'd be killing him. But now that he truly looked, he did find the boy to be quite good looking, despite the dirty, worn shred of cloth that would be referred to as clothing he was wearing.

He listened as the boy spoke, his voice filled with fright - just another ruse. For a minute, he did not respond, contemplating on whether he should continue and go along with this little game, or whether he should attempt to unmask this fraud that instant. He could be very patient when he wanted to be just as he could be equally impatient. But on the risk that he drag things on too long and lose the upper hand, seeing as he did not know who his opponent was, he decided to take care of things quickly as possible.

Abandoning the mind connection, he spoke normally, though he threw his voice so it still sounded as if his voice was all over the place in an echoing way. A little trick he had learned from his grandfather.

"Hm...I give you credit for your acting... You had me going for a second. But I'm afraid I don't enjoy games...so I'll have to cut this one short..." he said, his voice echoing all around in the darkness. As he spoke, the shadows shivered a little and stayed in place, for the most part, acting as a dome, but the shadow on the ground moved slightly. They seemed to crawl slowly, like a snake slithering through the grass toward it's prey, ready to strike at the opportune moment. They circled in on the stranger, silently, going unnoticed in the still blackness. They grew closer to the boy, moving to get ready to wrap around his legs and subdue him, if need be, yet they just hovered around his legs, waiting for a signal from their master.

"So how about you tell me who, and what you truly are, and what your reason for leading me on is, hm? And perhaps I will consider thinking of letting you live..." he said, his voice dark and low, yet a slight smirk playing across his lips.

The blond tilted his head, listening to the echoes of the voice as it spoke, disembodied in it’s sound. A frown marred his features. He could almost sense the shadows moving, though he knew it to be an impossible movement. Still, he refused to let his guard down, dropping the act of being frightened and instead, staring through the darkness to the red gaze that he had caught before. It was darker, now, or perhaps it was simply that the male had moved? Unsure, for a moment, the young man raised his hand, unsnapping the band from his wrist holding the green stone.

Immediately, a shimmer seemed to focus on him, his hair, this still unruly and tangled, grew at once clean and shiny, the illusion fading to reveal the true golden shade of his hair, the soft strands no longer dirty and clumped together. His eyes, though startling green when under concealment, now shimmered like jewels themselves, vivid as the emerald isles. His face faded to a paler shade, indeed, his entire pallor faded a few more shades. And he grinned, revealing fangs similar to the ones in the other males own mouth, though Num’s were small in comparison to most other vampire males. Something about his nature, his mama had once told him, how his gentle side took the predatory traits from his appearance.

Decided not to mull that over now, he felt the shimmer end, the feeling of magick receding into the stone he know held in his hand, black and dead when not in use. The final touch was his clothing, shimmering to become new, though the design was essentially the same as before. His pants, a dark blue, were of a thick jean-like material, obviously designed for a large amount of wear and tear. The knees had an extra amount of fabric overlayed upon them, common in the clothing of a close range fighter. His belt, once almost torn through before, appeared now as well-quality leather. His sweatshirt, though still the same black shade, grew new and closer fitting to his body, though still long enough to cover his hands.

Gloves shimmered into existence on his hands, and at his back his twin blades appeared, horizontal for an easy draw. The shimmer had lasted only a moment, and yet his appearance had changed entirely, simply by becoming clean and well kept. His grin grew, and he tilted his head. Dropping the object back into his pocket, he gripped the chain there, hiding it in his left hand for a moment, before wrapping it around his hand in a move that he had never used before. But still… Speaking softly, his voice was unlike the tone he’d used before. Calm, sure of himself and his purpose, he spoke.

“My death is not yours to depict.”

The words were bordering on rude, but yet true. His death would not be this day, no matter how strong his opponent seemed at first glance. A shiver of something unknown – joy perhaps – went down he spine, and he felt his customary good nature grin widening. It had been a long time since he’d been challenged, and the idea was almost fun, except he had no doubt that his opponent would be gunning for his head. Deciding that mulling such morbid thoughts should occur at a later, safer time, Num smiled, the look genuine on his young face.

“I am a vampire, and I apologize for tricking you in such a way.”

He frowned, finding the words to be true. Though he did enjoy the acting aspect of tricking another, he hated doing it. Acting was one thing, and something he had always enjoyed, but tricking others, that was more the style of a close friend of his. Ah, the trickster. A smile seemed ever-present and he ran a hand through his hair, pushing the mass of golden locks off his face, away from his startling green eyes.

“But honestly. The last four of you I’ve approached have laughed at me before I had a chance to tell them my message.”

My oh my, he was a talkative one tonight. Though he ought to cut to the chase, he could almost sense the hostility coming from the one before him. Idly toying with the hilt of his right hand sword, he ran his thumb almost lovingly along the hilt, refusing to draw it as of yet. After all, his speed was unmatched as yet, and he was sure that he could use it to his advantage. Of course, he probably should relay his message soon. That thought crossed his mind and with a frown, he dropped his hand, the chain pooling in his palm. For a moment, he just stared at it, before he tossed it in the general direction that he thought the vampire was in.

The chain clinked on the pavement, the sound grating to the ears of him, and likely the other before him. It settled, the words engraved on the chain unable to be seen, but he knew them by heart. His family had made him a similar chain in his youth, a chain they referred to as an identity chain. Due to the nature of vampires, if killed they often vanished into ashes, they’re clothing and personal effects alongside their burning corpses. But these chains had been designed in the long past to withstand such heat. Inscribed on them was the name of the bearer, their birthparents, and the area in which they lived.

This one was not his own. It bore the scuffed name Andromi, and the names of two he did not know – her parents. The region inscribed was Znasha, and he had recognized it immediately as the talisman of a vampire from the city below his own city. Glancing up from the ground where he knew the chain to be, his face was angry, murderous even. It looked out of place on his usually good natured face, but then, the one before him did not know that, did they?

“My name is unimportant…”

More like, he didn’t want his name known. The less know about him the better, for the more they knew about him, the more they could attack him in his own domain. And thus, he would not speak his name to a male he did not know and trust, and even if he did, he would refer to himself as Num, something untied to a longer name, unknown in the world below.

“I am a blood traitor.”

He paused, his voice quiet for a moment as he let the other mull that over. He was, after all, a protector of humans, driving off many a bloodsucker to protect the ones he called his friends, and to keep the streets that he considered his own safe. He wasn’t a killer, and though he had enjoyed human blood in the past, the kill had never been his to take, in his opinion. Of course now he tended to have to enjoy animal blood rather than that of the human, but still… He was a traitor to his own species, and he knew it. And was proud of it, truth be told. Continuing, his voice grew soft, almost sad.

“Her name was Andromi. A human hunted her down, and killed her in cold blood. She was one of your people – a drinker of human life. She was killed, just like at least twenty others have been killed. She was of low class, a vampire your King would not notice vanishing, just as the others would not have been noticed. Just as the deaths of blood traitors have gone unnoticed by the Kind.”

Another pause, and this time his face grew clouded, annoyed. The next words out of his mouth were spat out with almost an angry tone, as though it was this person whose fault it was that nobody had listened before. But of course, it wasn’t, and Num could only hope that this person would listen, would tell the King. Would relay the message.

“This is the fifth time I’ve told this to a vampire. I’m warning you – the hunters have returned, and they are powerful. If you do not learn to hide as we have, you will be slaughtered in you haven below the ground.”

He sighed, his message through. Stepping forwards, he tilted his head, his grin back.

“I assume you’ll do the right thing and tell the King. Am I free to go, or do you want to ask anything else?”

His hand landed upon the hilt of his one blade once more, angling for an easy draw. After all, if this being would not allow him to leave, he would have to fight, and if he had to fight, then… well, he’d need his blade. He really hated to do that, because then he would have to wound his opponent, and then have to escort the wounded back to the city below. And that, my friends, is not where Num wanted to go.

His gaze drifted to the left, at the thick darkness.

Perhaps the King would do something. As it was, Num was growing tired of watching the people he knew die off like animals in a fire. And while he was almost certain this lad would scoff at him and assume, as others had, that he’d killed the others, he still held on to the glimmer of hope that he would be believed. That his courtesy at warning the vampires wouldn’t be ignored. That more lives wouldn’t have to end for no good reason other than to continue a war that had all but wiped out their very species.

He sighed.

He hated not being able to see the people he was talking to. It was just awkward.

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
Zaphikel watched as the boy's stare turned hard, and he gained a look of calmness around him. Yet again, their eyes met, though he was sure that he was not seen in the complete darkness. He saw that the green eyes, once filled with fake fear were now hard as stone and resilient, stronger. He watched as he tore something from his wrist. And in and instant a shimmer surrounded the figure, briefly lighting up the darkness. It seemed as if the shadows hissed for an instant in irritation of the sudden bright light, but as soon as the light disappeared, the shadows settled down.

Seeing a new person in front of him, Zaphikel looked the stranger up and down. He noted how his clothes changed and became less filthy and more new and clean, as did the rest of his appearance. He was greeted by an even brighter glowing pair of green eyes. He remained still though, his red eyes flashing for an instant, probably going unnoticed in the darkness. He cleaned up well, and again had to give him credit, for this time being able to take on the appearance of any old drug-addicted human.

He listened to the first true words the person spoke, ones that were not just a play, and he twitched slightly. Did this boy really think that he could stop him? If he really wanted to, he could kill the boy in seconds. And hearing this, it pissed him off slightly. And as if sensing their master's anger, the shadows rustled slightly, agitated that this stranger was bringing their master such annoyance. But he did not make a move. He would hear the boy out completely before he killed him. Because with that comment, those few words that seemed to be like a challenge, like he was just asking to be killed, his fate was sealed.

He saw the grin on the boy widen. It was an unearthly thing, almost as if the boy was slightly mad. But then, it easily turned into a smile as he spoke again. At the comment that he was a vampire, Zaphikel shuffled slightly. One of his own kind. At that moment, his plans to dispose of the boy once he finished telling him what he needed to were instantly gone with the wind. As much as he still hated him at the moment for his attitude and such, he had his own rules to follow. He had standards that he himself followed, despite what other vampires may think. Most would not give a second thought to killing one of their own kind if angered enough. But he was different. He would not outright kill one of his own kind. It was like something horrible to him. No matter what the vampire had done, he would not kill them. That is, unless he was not angered to the point that something...bad...were to happen... At that time, he wouldn't be able to help himself.

Sensing the will of their master, the shadows that hovered around his legs, wanting just to grab him and strangle him, shivered and moved away, returning to their place on the floor. The black abyss still stayed there though. After all, Zaphikel could see this vampire meant business, and noticed the weapons he had with him. He would like to avoid a fight at all costs. So until everything was said an done, he would have to remain in the shadows.

He listened quietly, not moving an inch as the vampire said what he needed to, his crimson eyes still glued on the blond, making sure he made no move to attack. He glanced slightly at the bracelet that was thrown in his direction, landing but a couple feet from him. He knew what it was, though for the time being, he ignored it and just put his focus back on the vampire before him. Even when he said that he was a blood traitor, he didn't flinch. Honestly, he didn't care. He was one of the few vampires on his grandfather's side that was not disgusted by the so called traitors. He thought it was every vampire's own decision whether he drank the blood of a human or an animal. He himself preferred human, but he would not be against drink that of an animal if the situation called for it. And honestly, though he would never admit it, he though of his grandfather and great grandfather stupid. His great grandfather for starting a war over the smallest and most trivial of things and his grandfather for continuing it. He would play it differently if he were the king, which he will when the time comes.

He listened at the boy told of this female vampire being killed. At first, he did not know what it had to do with him or the other four he had said he's told this to. But for the sake of everything, he listened. He saw the boy seemingly become angry, his features hardening as he continued to speak. But when he mentioned Hunters, Zaphikel instantly froze. An equally angry look came over his face, his red eyes shimmering intensely in the darkness. Those despicable humans...humans! Of all creature to kill a vampire! It was normally the other way around! It angered him to think a group of common, lowly humans were killing vampires off one by one. Of course, he'd known this for some time now. Ever since long ago...when his father was destroyed by one of those filthy beings. Of course he'd heard the hunters had slacked off. But, by this boy's words, it seemed they were back, and with an even greater vengeance...

Sensing his anger, the shadows rumbled, almost as if it was an earthquake. They experienced the same emotion their master did, or at least some vague concept of the emotion. The shadows shook, moving around and aiming for the boy, figuring he was the reason that their master was so angry. But as soon as they attempted to lunge at him, Zaphikel instantly snapped them back, making them almost give off a hissing noise as they settled down.

As the boy finished talking, Zaphikel stood there, contemplating all he was just told. For a moment, nothing happened. Everything was silent, unmoving as the time ticked by, seemingly forever even though it was only a few seconds. Staring at the stranger, subduing his obvious rage within himself, as he was taught to do by his grandfather.

Making his decision, he called back the shadows, the dark alley being illuminated by a glimpse of moonlight as they receded on the command of their master. Within seconds, quick to do his bidding, the shadows shrank back into what they were before, just the shadows that were cast by the buildings on each side of the alley. One part of shadow though, as it was receding back into the wall, disentangled itself from the rest, twitching and moving around on the ground. It took the form of a raven, beady eyes forming where it's head was and the spots changing color slightly into a dull red color. It suddenly lifted itself off the ground, seemingly turning into an actual one, feathers, beak, talons, eyes and all. It gave a loud shrill caw, flapping it's wings and taking into the air, flying towards it's master. On the way, it swooped down and picked up the silver bracelet in it's beak. It flew up then in a rustle of feathers as it went in for a landing, landing with a rustle of feathers on Zaphikel's shoulder.

Zaphikel reached up and grabbed the bracelet as the raven dropped it into his hand, making another loud call as it ruffled it's feather, it's beady red eyes fixated on the blond boy. He looked at the bracelet for a second before glancing back at the boy. For a moment, he said nothing, but then, a slight smirk appeared on his lips. He tilted his head slightly to the side, his dark hair falling into his eyes slightly, and he gave a small laugh. He spoke, his voice less angry and mysterious and more calm, yet it held a hint of cockiness.

"...Hiding...? How much good do you think that will possibly do you...? No matter where you and the rest of your people hide, it's only a matter of time before a Hunter finds you... I hate to say it, but those humans...they've developed ways of searching vampires out... And these killing you tell me about...they won't stop..."

He paused for an instant, pocketing the bracelet as he slipped his hands into his pocket. Though the boy kept his hand on his sword, he wouldn't make a move to fight. He thought of what he said, telling the king, but he just scoffed, getting a slightly smart-a** look on his face as he continued speaking.

"And the King won't do anything to help...I know my grandfather better than anyone else. The last thing he would ever even contemplate doing is helping...those that oppose him... He'd much rather watch you all suffer and be picked off one by one while he and the rest of those lazy-a** idiots sit all cozy in their hideout..."

He didn't care about badmouthing the king or anyone else while he was alone. And he knew this person wouldn't even care. He looked at the boy, his hair covering part of his vision as her contemplated his next words. He always took care in the things he said, in the things he did, thinking things out carefully before he did them unlike those that just do things without giving a rat's a** on what the consequences would be.

"...tell me....why go out of your way to help those that you and the rest of those like you...despise...? After all, one would think that either side wouldn't care how the other ended up. Rather they'd more than likely be overjoyed that their so called enemies are being killed without them having to live a finger... Of course, your...effort and...kindness in doing this...is greatly appreciated, by me anyway, not so sure on grandfather..."

Zaphikel trailed off a bit, pausing in his word and seemingly going slightly distant in his own thoughts. What would happen when he took this message back to his grandfather? He would probably be laughed at and ridiculed. After all, his grandfather and the rest of those oblivious dogs would disagree that the Hunters were returning to power and killing again. His grandfather was a good thing, but sometimes, he could be a real idiot. The raven that still remained on his shoulder gave a loud caw, ruffling it's feathers again, snapping him out of his thoughts. He reached up and stroked it's feather's, giving a slight smile to his pet as it cooed happily and rubbed it's head against his hand. He looked back to the boy.

"...that's all I want to know and I'll let you go... I don't take pleasure in killing one of my own kind, despite which side they are on. Just tell me...why go out of your way to warn the King...that...and...in your own opinion I suppose, how strong have the Hunter's gotten...how long will it likely take, if nothing is done, for them to finish picking our kind off...?"

When he spoke, he did in an a refined, almost nice manner, his usual self coming back to him as his eyes became half lidded, calm, and shimmering, almost in a hypnotic way. His voice, one cocky and somewhat rude, calmed as well and turned softer, though still elegant and having a commanding tone. A slight breeze shifted down the now brightened alley, catching in his hair and blowing it in his face. He just reached up and ran his fingers through it.

What an event to take place, when he thought it would be a normal night, a normal meal...

But he didn't mind. He was in fact intrigued, glad he and the rest were being warned by the gracious vampire.

He was beginning to grow nervous in the dark. The last time he’d been in darkness this absolute, he had been on the verge of death, and the darkness had been behind his own eyes, as he had lacked the strength to open them. The fact that he could hear breathing and all the things that accompanied life did nothing to stop the fact that at this moment, he felt choked, as though the shadows were reaching around his body. The feeling would let up, then start again, and he was beginning to wonder if perhaps he was losing his mind, going insane or something of that sort. But not, he reasoned, he could feel something touching his leg, and that something was moving. Perhaps these shadows were pets of the one with the red eyes…?

As the shadows seemed to choke him once more, invading his personal space quite easily, he was certain. They were nearly alive, or something similar to a lively state, and definitely being controlled by something. Deciding to ponder that later, and how one fought with shadows as well, the blond felt his hand tighten on the hilt of his blade, his nerves running high.

As the one before him drew back his shadow-pets the blond let himself heave a small sigh of relief. After all, fighting in the dark had never been his specialty, and he had not been looking forward to a possible confrontation in the pitch black. No, the small amount of light from the moon and stars more than illuminated this small alleyway to his eyes, and that, in his mind, was a blessing he was quite thankful for. His relaxation caused his hand to grow lax upon his blade, far less likely to draw at the drop of a hat. That was probably a good thing, for he’d had to attack in mistake, after all. That would be both foolish and deadly. He would undoubtedly draw death upon himself at the very thought of such a thing.

Of course, not all the vampire families were the ones who would retaliate with one of the deaths of their sons. But still, perhaps it would be best to avoid conflict? Yes, he decided at last, avoiding conflict at all costs would be wise. But then, he knew that before he’d even begun his internal dialogue. Yet still he did not move his hand from the hilt of his blade, though it was quite a lax grip, more resting, as it were. After all, should he be the one to be attacked… well, Num had absolutely no qualms in retaliation. Though he was no the violent sort… protection of his own person was something quite different, he’d found. His eyes were drawn elsewhere, and his thoughts abruptly ended.

Watching the movement of the bird, Num stared, fascinated. It was on the tip of his tongue to ask how the trick was done, and how, if possible, he could learn something similar. He doubted it, however, for the shadows had never quite responded to him as they had to others and though he could seem to see into them a bit more easily than a few people he knew, he had issues when it came to manipulating. And by issues, we of course mean they didn’t respond to him, at all. Quite frustrating, but then, a lot of things were when it came to the dark gifts vampires were blessed with.

A small trail of pink dusted his cheeks as he caught himself staring, the words of the one before him jarring him from his musing. A frown flirted with his features, before it changed to a grin that none could suppress. His happy-go-lucky nature was back now that he could see the person he was talking to. And although his eyes remained serious, they lightened a bit, revealing his optimistic behavior to the person before him. Or at least, if the person before him chose to look, such a personality would be revealed.

Then again, he’d found that those with fiery inclination tended to be a bit less serious than those with other gifts. Perhaps the flame that they so enjoyed manipulating had an effect on their soul, or lack thereof? He’d no clue as to how such things worked, and frankly, it gave him a headache to think about. Instead he chose to answer the words posed, for thinking about things he had no right to explore would only cause him annoyance in the end. He’d come to that conclusion more than once in the past. Some things were meant to remain unexplained, after all.

His own tone was said with a smile, his words thought out instead of harsh and angry as before. After all, his message had been delivered and what they said now was the business between the two of them, and had no bearing on the vampire race at all, though if it did, it was still a personal conversation. Or at least, that’s how the blond viewed it. Running his fingers through his mess of hair, he spoke, the nervous habit helping to calm his tone.

“You’re correct in assuming hiding will do us little good. But with proper effort and fighting abilities, we can and have been able to protect ourselves so far… Those of us who have died, have taken opponents with them. It’s a price to pay…But how we protect ourselves shouldn’t matter to you. I’d think… you’d rather like the thought of us dying off without any effort on your part.”

And indeed, they had been dying off at an alarming rate. Though they had taken the hunters involved with them, a new name had been brought up for memorial every few days, of late, and their numbers, once equal to those of the blood sucking vampires, had now dwindled to what he understood was under a hundred – quite a bit under a hundred to be precise. At first, the deaths had been assumed to be cause by other vampires, and the anger had been unprecedented. But lately, as they’d started to go out more often than not in groups, the real truth had been discovered. The humans with their new arsenal of combining magick and weaponry… The very thought had begun to cause a nervous reaction in his body.

Turning his mind from such morbid thoughts took a moment, and in the moment taken, he heard the words that came next. Grandfather. His gaze shifted, lifting to meet the red ones before him in a kind of half wince, half grimace. This boy was the direct descendent of the King? His eyes closed momentarily, his shoulders slumping a moment. Had the deaths been so great that even royalty had to hunt for itself? No, he mused, eying the male. Something, perhaps, was a bit different about this one. It’s almost like he… didn’t agree with his grandfather. Tapping that thought down, Num berated himself. He’d thought as much a handful of times before, and been sorely disappointed each time. This time would be no different. Don’t get your hopes up, he sternly reprimanded himself, don’t you dare think for an instant that you’re sympathized with. Just let the idea go right now. And, with a sigh, he did.

“I despise nobody, it is a waste of effort and emotion, and we vampires live far too long for such a grudge to be anything more than pointless.”

He paused for a moment, pursing his lips into what resembled a pout. He had never understood the edict on the war, the reason he’d been moved to a place that was as dangerous to him as the sun. He never had, and no matter how long he survived, he doubted that he ever would. No, he didn’t hate the King or his followers. After all, those who chose to drink the blood of things other than humans were a new thing, a threat to their world. But hate them for moving the threat from their haven? No, Num was incapable of such things. It simply wasn’t in his personality to hate a being he’d never met.

The laugh came as somewhat of a shock to him, and Num couldn’t help but stare at the dark-haired individual before him. He seemed so far removed from the stories he’d heard of the aristocrats from below, the ones who thirsted to spill the blood of the vampires who were banned from the city. He’d heard stories of course…

Vampires who came in the night like predators, hunting after the outcasts, taking them down in groups rather than an honorable fight. Sneaking up from behind, using their gifts to displace the outcasts, to overpower them. Drinking first, to lend strength to the kill. Slaughtering, and leaving the dead to dissolve into the night air. Spitting, and worse, onto the now dead.

Yeah, Num had heard it all. But somehow, looking at this grandson of the King, he doubted that this red-eyed male had ever done such a thing. But then, one never knew what others were capable of. People had assumed Num was incapable of defending himself at the cost of another life and they had been wrong. Not that he didn’t regret such actions afterwards, but just because he was kindhearted did not mean that he was defenseless or a fool. Far from it, in fact.

He’d be let go? The green eyed youth scanned the eyes of the other vampire as though searching for the lie. Scarcely daring to believe such a thing, he dropped his hand from the hilt of his sword, choosing to trust this one for the time being. Brushing his blond hair from his eyes, he once more stuffed his hands deep within his pockets, an indifferent shrug upon his shoulders.

“Because it’s our kind, not one or the other. We are vampires. We are being hunted, regardless of what kind of blood we drink. Just because a few old men got in a fight five hundred years ago, doesn’t mean the youth of today should be wiped out for lack of ways to fight back.”

He sighed, glancing at his feet for a moment.

“I’m aware that the King likely will not believe me, nor allow me into the city to give him a warning myself, simply because my parents chose a side when the fight broke out. So I thought, perhaps if enough of the vampires from below were warned, they might chose to protect themselves. We, above ground are exposed in a way you are not. We will undoubtedly not survive another century, hunted as we are…”

A frown broke across his face at that. Did he doubt such a statement? No. He was sure that within a hundred years, no matter how strong he was, he’d be dead and gone, along with his friends and their families. It was a sad truth, and something that he hated to acknowledge, but a fact none the less. Within one hundred years, those banned by the war would be dead. And once gone, even the strongest of them, the hunters would set their sights on the vampires hiding below. He was no fool. He dealt with humans every day, and he knew how cunning and ingenious they could be at times. They would find the underground city. And they would find a way to wipe them all out – whether they drank human blood or not.

“I’ve no opinion on the matter of those below the city. I don’t know how many or how strong you are. I know how strong my friends are, and I know how many of them live in the city… not as many as there once were, I can assure you. We will fight those who come after us as we always have, though we are untrained and small in number. We will die with honor, and we will do so without telling the humans where you hide. You don’t need to worry about that, at least.”

He smiled then, holding his hands up in a peace gesture. His appealing blond looks were evident then, his friendly and open demeanor even more so. As his mother had often told him, he was far too much like his father, a man raise as a human. The bloodlust most vampires faced daily was nearly nonexistent in him, and though he counted it as a blessing, many would not. His smile told all.

“I just though you should know… up here, we’re doomed to fail. They’ll find us in the day, when we’re vulnerable. Perhaps, you can better protect yourselves… after all, we are all vampires, and I’d like to see our race live on.”

And that much, at least, was true. He didn’t want vampires to die out, though he had doubts about some of their methods of survival. Just because his fate was sealed, did not mean the fate of others, such as this red-eyed prince, should be the same. He would die fighting, after all.

Num wrinkled his nose at the morbid thought. He’d rather die dancing his fool head off.

"I'm sorry for tricking you, sir. You should probably get yourself a real human, un?"

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
Zaphikel watched the boy after he had spoken, waiting for answers. He observed the boy as he seemingly thought of the things he was going to say, a definite change from the ruse he had put on earlier. He watched, seeing the boy still gripping his sword, though his grasp loosening on the handle. The range of expressions that passed by the boy's face kept Zaphikel watching, wondering slightly what the blond was thinking, but deciding not to put up another connection. After all, he didn't want to start rocking the boat again after things had seemingly just settled down.

He saw the blond's green eyes move over to the raven that perched on his shoulder still, not yet having been dismissed by it's master, so deciding to stay for a while. He could tell that the boy was interested, seeing the wondrous look in his eyes. perhaps not at the raven itself, but rather the skill used to make it. Regardless, he was interested in something. And as if happy to be in the spot light, the raven gave a loud call. It hopped along his shoulder slightly, bobbing it's head and rubbing it's beak lightly against the collar of his shirt, seemingly putting on a great show.

He watched as a slight blush appeared across the blond's cheeks, embarrassed about something. But Zaphikel didn't take notice of what it was he was embarrassed about. He then saw him frown, and then the frown turned into a smile. He saw a complete change in the boy. Truly he was a good actor. Far from the rude and intense attitude he'd had before, it was easy to see that this boy was not all that intense. Rather, he seemed more of a happy, fun type of fellow. And he could not deny that the boy's attitude was infectious. He was just glad that there would be no fight. He didn't want to hurt the green eyed vampire after all.

He listened as the boy finally spoke after moving his hair a bit, the action seeming to calm his nerves a bit. As a matter of fact, he did the same thing sometimes when he had to calm down when he was in a rather bad mood. He remained quiet as the boy spoke, answering the things he wanted with amazing compliance. When he himself spoke, he started doing so with that elegance and somewhat cheerful attitude he normally used to speak to people that were not out to kill him. After all, he would be kind enough to someone that was not an enemy.

"On the contrary, my dear boy. I could honestly care less whether you and your friends drank the blood of humans or of some lowly animal. In my opinion...it's everyone's own choice what they prefer. It's rather stupid that a once great city had to be divided by such a trivial thing... But regardless who is on what side, it's horrible that our race is being taken down by the likes of humans..."

Zaphikel spoke his mind, not having anything to hide. Though he usually held in deep and complicated feelings, personal feelings that only he preferred to talk about, he had no problem telling his mind on different subjects. As long as it wasn't about himself, he didn't mind talking about anything really.

Thinking on these things, he started thinking of his own underground home and who had lived there, and the occurrences of deaths among the community. Unlike those that had been driven from Znasha, the vampires that were remaining there were more or less the best of the best. There hadn't been that many death to tell of. Rather, there were many vampires that came home wounded, sometimes from just minor wounds to sever, life threatening ones. Some were not able to recover and eventually passed on. Other's regained their strength and continued on. And though no one had come right out and said it, some knew what was causing these near fatal mishaps. Including himself, about one third of the people in Znasha figured it was Hunters. But this did not include his grandfather. He remained oblivious as always to what was going on.

But more than how many incidences had happened, he thought more about the number that remained for them. Granted, their own numbers were not as low as the other's, nor were they depleting as fast. The people in Znasha still had great skill, and had only been perfecting their skills and powers over the past 500 years. But still, their numbers were not much higher. No less than 200 but no more than 400. But those that remained knew how to take care of themselves. Putting up on a scale, more Hunters were being killed than vampires. And that was indeed a good thing. But Zaphikel knew that this would only last so long before the humans came up with new tricks to destroy them.

He listened as the boy spoke again, nodding in agreement after hearing what was said.

"Yes...I would have to agree with you there...I wish others saw it that way. I bear only one grudge, and that is against the Hunters. Of course that is understandable."

There were so many vampires he knew back in the underground city that held grudges, even for the smallest things. Those that had survived the great battle and were still alive today had turned unbelievably bitter and evil. And those that were not yet born for the war were bitter as well, the attitude of their parents being passed on to the children. Because of mistakes made long past, the children had to continue on in their father's footsteps, hating the same things they hated. He knew it was that way, because his grandfather showed him clearly.

Through the years that he had been trained and taught by his grandfather, seeing as his parents had left the world of the living, he'd always been expected to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. His grandfather was far to old now to bear children, so naturally, the position of king would fall to him when his grandfather passed away. And it had been stressed so much that he was to continue the war with the outcasts, it nearly drove him mad. For the sake of pleasing his grandfather, he had agreed to these things and followed instructions and lessons he was given. But inwardly, all these years, he knew he would never follow down that path. As soon as he was made king, the first thing he would do was end this meaningless fight. Hopefully, he would be able to reunite those that were left of the city of Znasha and convince them all to live in peace with each other. And, if they were not taken care of before then, the next thing he would do was take care of the Hunters.

His eyes narrowed slightly at the thought of Hunters and the things they did. But the thought that stuck out in his mind was something that had happened so long ago, yet the memory was still fresh in his mind. He'd been playing out in the courtyard with a few of the other's children that lived in the castle, still but a child. He'd been minding his own business when his mother had suddenly run to him and pulled him away from his friend. She didn't say anything to him, not explaining a word. She just held him and cried. When she finally was able to talk, he'd been told his father was dying. He didn't know whether he was allowed to see his father or not, but before his mother could even stop him, he'd run away to find his dad. He recalled running to the medical center, assuming that's where his father would be, and had arrived but a moment too late. The only thing he found was a pile of ash with his father's name bracelet in it...

The corner of Zaphikel's lip twitched slightly as his hand twitched in his pocket as the memory drifting in his mind. He didn't move, but a slight jingle around his wrist as his hand twitch reminded him. He didn't wear one name bracelet; he wore three. One his one and the other two having belonged to his parents. He kept them as a reminder, as a memory of them. He could not bear to part with them. Not only did they remind him of his parents, but they reminded him of the evils of the Hunters, far worse than that of any vampire. If it were not for Hunters, his parents would still be alive.

He stopped his depressing thoughts as he head a shuffle of clothing, glancing to see the boy release his weapon finally and stuff his hands into his pockets as he started speaking again. He sighed slightly, hating to agree with what he said, but agreeing none the less.

"Yes...if you were to try to get into the underground city by yourself, I think you would more than likely be killed on the spot. Many still bear grudges, few have forgotten the past and moved on. Those that were born after the battle were poisoned with their parents thoughts and feelings, adopting their hatred and discontent. The king being the very son of the one who started the war in the first place, it's no wonder that he follows in his father's footsteps. As for you warning us in hopes we defend ourselves... Well...not to seem...rude...but we would and have had an easier time of doing that than you and your friends. There have already been a few deaths, perhaps 20 or 30. But for the most part, those that encounter Hunters deal with them and come back with wounds, most being able to recover their health. And as you yourself said, we have a better chance of hiding..."

Zaphikel paused, contemplating the last statement the boy made on how long he and his people were to live. A century. That is all? That was not good. And considering he seemed like a very optimistic and happy person, he know that the blond was serious when he said this. They were vulnerable above ground, having nowhere to hide, unlike hand his people that lived in safety under the ground. The only times they really crossed danger was when they went op above ground to feed. And they had a good defense for keeping unwanted visitors out of Znasha. But how long could that last?

He listened as the blond finished speaking, thinking on everything that has been said. Regardless that they were outcasts, he could not allow any more vampires to be killed because of humans. He thought, pondering things and an emotionless look on his face as he sifted through his mind. One hundred years? That was far to little time. But then...his thoughts switched to his grandfather. He had seen much, and he was old. He had been alive with his father to battle in the fight that had put a wall between the people of Znasha. How much longer did he have? Even if he could not do anything about the Hunters now, when he died, which would indeed probably be in the next 50 to 100 years, Zaphikel could take over and do something about it. That was entirely possible...

The Raven on his shoulders snapped him from his thoughts, letting out a loud call and flapping it's wings slightly, accidentally hitting it's mater's head. He just held in a chuckle and waved the bird off his shoulder. It's feathers ruffled as it flew off his shoulder and, circling above his head a few times, it then dived into the shadow of a building, melding in with the darkness and just turning back into a mere shadow. The only thing that told the raven have actually been there was a feather on the ground that had fell from it. But soon, even that disappeared.

He looked back to the blond, finishing up his thoughts. For a minute, he said nor did a thing. But then, he smiled at the blond.

"No...no...I believe that can wait. I've rather lost my appetite. Besides, there are more pressing matters at hand, correct? I believe I have come to a decision. You said you thought that you would not be able to see the King on your own, yes? Well, what if I were to escort you to my dear grandfather? After all, I am his favorite relative. And seeing as I am to be king as soon as the old man dies, I am only second to him. I can assure you get through the city to him safely. Then you can deliver the message to him yourself. I'm sure he'd see you if I convinced him to."

He didn't know what could be done about the situation right now, but he would do everything in his power to help. And besides, even though he'd been tricked by this boy, he'd taken a bit of a shine to him. He was rather intrigued by the boy and how he acted and viewed things. He was also one of the few he'd met that greed with him on things like how the war was stupid and how both side shouldn't be separated because of their differences.

His eyes shimmered slightly as he looked at the blond, giving one of his dazzling smiles, the kind would make any girl that saw it swoon. When it came right down to it, he was kind of showy on things, but definitely not conceited or anything. He glanced up at the sky to see where the placement of the moon was. Looking at the brightly glowing orb in the sky, he figured there would probably be a few more hours till dawn. He glanced back to the blond.

"How about it? Znasha is around 2 hours away. You can come with me, stay the morning and get a little rest, then tomorrow night you can talk with the king. And based on what takes place, you can either leave back to where you came from, or stay. Your choice."

For a moment, he had believed their interaction over, and that the dark haired one would leave him to go catch a pretty little thang and drink her dry. Then the comment had come and he had felt himself biting his tongue hard enough o draw blood. Whose fault was it that they had been exiled, anyhow? Whose fault was it that they were forced to move constantly, to keep their faces hidden lest people realize they never changed? The King and his loyal followed, Num knew, yet still he felt no real biting anger. Just annoyance, for this red eyed one almost seemed to think himself stronger than the ones who walked the streets. And of course they would be – they very likely spent their free time training to be stronger rather than struggling to survive another week, month, year.

Funny, immortal or not, they still spent the time counting days, for they were so at risk for death. Inability to find a shelter before light, being caught while asleep and effectively vulnerable… Life above… he wondered idly if half the number of Znasha citizens would survive the first year. Frowning as his thoughts turned negative, Num decided to change his thoughts, when suddenly they just fell silent on their own accord, shocked by the words of the other vampire.

The blond stood still, the offer hanging in the air. For a long moment there was no movement in his face or limbs, his very thoughts screeching to an abrupt and sudden halt. The offer to go into the city with an escort – the escort being the prince of all things – had been so unexpected and sudden that he was in denial as yet that the offer had even been brought up. But no, then the strange male was speaking again, reiterating his offer with a smile so bright that Num couldn’t help but smile in return. He was too shocked to even notice how transformed the face of his would-be opponent, and instead, was remaining focused on the offer.

To go to the city of Znasha.

He’d never been into the legendary city, of course, though he’d certainly heard his mama rant about it enough. His father had been almost indifferent, having been created rather than born and thus only having been to the city a few times before the fight broke out. But his mother had ranted about the desecration during the war, the beauty of being safe, and way the sun never shone…. Having been born a second generation blood traitor, he’d been born into the world he now lived. Many had shaken their head at his parents, foolish for breeding during their exile. But he, like a few of his younger friends, found it a blessing in disguise. Despite what many may think, their exile had force them to learn to survive in different ways, and as a result, the second generation had become far more resilient than their parents. Their parents, the few that remained, would never admit such things of course. His own parents had tried to encourage him to surpass those around him in power, often saying things about how living in the real world gave them a chance to actually use their skills, rather than sit and wait. Of course, as a teen he’d never understood them. Even now, he found the concept of waiting a bit foreign.

His survival had always depended on staying on the move, staying in shape and healthy, eating but leaving no trace… such things that he had been talk before he could even answer questions with a yes sir. Would the children below be any different? A quick glance at the dark haired vampire caused his eyebrows to draw together as his thoughts ran wild. This vampire didn’t seem so different than his friends did. He approached prey with caution, ensured he had the upper hand before attacking, and kept himself hidden until he had no other choice – the same way his own friends had been encouraged to act around humans, when the need to contacts them arose. Then again, in that way he was slightly different.

The fair haired had always been a bit less pale than other vampires, and as a result, he was often designated to speak to humans on behalf of his friends, the few that remained. Not that it bothered him. Knowing full well that his father had once been one of the hot-blooded creatures, he was fascinated by their scent, and the way they dressed and acted and fell in love and aged so quickly. More than once he’d been reminded not to play with the humans, which protecting them meant staying away from them for much of the time. That to befriend one led only to pain, because by the time you remembered to talk to them, years had gone by and they’d grown week and senile. How they would notice the lack of change and alert someone and that would bring annoyance upon their heads. Yet still… he’d seen the human world. Would the vampire world be any different?

The books he’d read over his years would have him believe it would be a dark place from the gothic area, shrouded in darkness and filled with frightening artifacts from the years gone by, spend in their haven. But somehow… he doubted that it would be quite the same as the books portrayed it. Curiosity gleamed in his vivid eyes for a moment, and his fangs were revealed as his mouth spread into an easy-going grin. Alright, so he’d be the first of his generation to return to the city they’d never had the chance to leave. This was an opportunity, he thought, and with a firm nod of his head, he agreed.

“I will go with you.”

As the words escaped his mouth, the young vampire felt his stomach muscle clench, as nerves overtook him. He’d be going into an unknown place, with an unknown person. So long had he been wandering the streets at night that he thought of the city as his own personal playground, a land where he could never be lost. And though he’d been told how to get into the city at a young age, he’d never visited Znasha, and as a result, he’d be perfectly trapped should this person decide to kill him after all. Leveling a long look at his would-be protector, Num felt himself grow annoyed with none other than himself. This male was a prince, or so he said. If he was, indeed, the grandson of the current King, then in theory his word should be as good as his life. Or at least, his mama had once mentioned something about aristocrats and their honor. At any rate, if he was under protection, then while walking through the city, he ought to be safe, oughtn’t he?

But then, should he rest, he would be unprotected. He didn’t know these people, and alone in wherever he was expected to sleep, would he truly be safe. His hands clenched in his pockets, and he frowned, considering. Of course he would go, but he would not sleep. It wouldn’t be the first time he’d gone without his rest, nor would it be the last time. He’d be fine. Perhaps a bit sleepy by the time he got home, and in need of a good meal, but he’d be alright in the end. Yes, he determined, he would be alright. Glancing at the red eyed vampire, the green eyed one spoke, his voice soft.

“But I sincerely doubt I’ll rest. You do realize most of the people in Znasha want people like me to drop dead, so I’m sorry but as I doubt you’ll be standing guard wherever I’m expected to sleep…rest won’t come easy for me. And I don’t intend to sleep in a place where it’s doubtful I would awaken.”

He felt a bit rude pointing it out, but if anything he’d ever taught had been true, this would be it. He’d met enough of the so-called loyalists to know that they absolutely despised the traitors, and if given the chances, would murder one in cold blood. And though he was certain this red eyed devil was strong enough to uphold his promise, unless Num was being watched all the time, moments would come wherein he might be exposed. And if it came, his enemy would not be one or even ten, it would be dozens, and even he had no hope of winning in such odds. Perhaps he could run from them, his agility as good as it was, but even so, it would be daylight out and he had no hope of actually getting away. After all, one step into the sun and he’d start frying. And there was no way he’d manage to get to safety before he blew away as ashes in the wind. No, if there were to be an attack he’d wind up dead for sure, and so, he wouldn’t let his guard down to allow for an attack. Simple as that. No opening, no attack, no ash-ridden death.

Perhaps not as simple as he thought it, but then, he was the sort of over think certain things and under think others.

A sudden thought occurred to him, and he spoke before thinking it out, wondering his mind out loud. A terrible habit, but one he’d gotten into recently none the less.

“And after this discussion, would I be able to leave… alive, as it were?”

Alive. What a funny concept. His heart still made the dull thumping sound, though far slower than a humans. His body still bled when cut, sluggish and thick. But in his veins the blood was being digested, used, as was it occurring in other areas of his body. Not that he knew much about the so-called science behind vampire bodies. All he knew as that he functioned, his heart sped up when he drank blood, and the longer without it or closer to true death he became, the paler he grew, and the slower his heart beat. Just as his face grew ruddy after a meal.

Smiling slightly at his own mind, he stared at his feet, going over his mental check list to see if he was prepared to go into the unknown. He was a light packer, regardless, and usually carried the essentials with him. As a vampire, often he had to seek refuge in places not his lost, so keep his necessities with him was needed. Then again, it wasn’t as though not brushing his hair every day would really bother him. At any rate, he began the task of going over his list in his head. Clothing on his back? Passable. Not exactly what one would probably wear to meet the King, but then, he didn’t have a lot of variety to choose from. So it would have to do. Absently he wondered how cold it was under ground, and then began the wondering of heat and electricity. Stirring himself away from such thoughts, the blond returned to his checklist.

Clothing, yes. Bracelet identifying him as a fellow vampire? It jingled merrily on his belt, the sound reminding him of his heritage and immediately making him smile. Twin blades? Of course. He never went anywhere without them. He’d told his friends that he wouldn’t be back until he delivered his message, so they weren’t exactly expecting him back overnight, or at all, really. So that was taken care of. He had his wallet, with his forms of human ID and the like. All lies, of course, his name and ages obviously wrong. Hells, even his birth date was incorrect, but that was because he honestly didn’t know the date he’d been born. Funny, that was, in his mind. Finding his mind meandering again, he forced it back down the path it had been on. Okay. Weaponry was alright. What else would he need? He honestly did not know. Glancing at the vampire before him, he found himself blushing, blurting out the words before he could freak out and take them back:

“Is there anything I should take?”

He flushed. Embarrassing, perhaps, but his cheeks flooded with color, and letting out a sheepish smile, he tried to salvage his dignity. The fact that it was long gone was not exactly something he was considering at the moment, either, so his rush of words was probably a bit confusing to the poor red eyed youth.

“I mean, I’ve never met a King… or a Prince, really. I’ll probably be really disrespectful and my mama would shoot me if I was rude, only she’s gone so she can’t, but I should still be polite, and y’know how in stories you bring something when you visit? I thought maybe I should bring something only I really don’t have anything to bring and I don’t think that anything I have you guys would really want because I’m kind of poor and most of my stuff gets left behind since I move all the time and I just realized that I haven’t been respectful to you and that’s so wrong because you’re a prince and technically that makes you my prince so I should probably bow or something or maybe I should apologize? But I don’t know because I’m bad at stuff like this I get nervous and-“

He breathed in.

“I just keep talking and talking and it gets really fast and kind of slurs together and I really hope I don’t do that talking to the Ki-your grandfather because, I mean I didn’t do it before because I was acting all tough and Mr. Cool but that was just acting and if I’m watching my neck not that I don’t think you’ll make sure I won’t be attacked but I have to because if I don’t out here nobody else will and it’s a habit but down there I won’t be acting and what if I stutter or say something dumb or piss him off or what if he decides to up and get rid of me just right away without listening to my story like you did and-“

With a little eep as he had to force in a deep breath, the blond turned, if possible, a darker shade of red and mumbled a short sentence.

“I should shut up.”

Awake, and unafraid.
Asleep, or dead.
Zaphikel watched the blond after he offered to escort him to Znasha the first time. He couldn't help but smirk a little bit as he saw the green eyes widen slightly and his limbs and body going still. For a minute, it was like that, and he didn't move. He had contemplated snapping his fingers in the boy's face, but that would be far too rude. So instead he had asked again with a little more enthusiasm. And it seemed to work this time, judging by the smile he received in return.

Of course, if the boy were to agree, certain precautions and things would have to be taken. He would have to send word of the situation before they actually arrived. It would probably be best to send one of his shadow messengers. But then, again, that would give his grandfather a chance to perhaps stop them before they got there if he disagreed with having an outcast in the city. Even though he was old, and slightly senile, he still had enough to know of things and how to deal with them. No. Perhaps he wouldn't send a messenger. That way, they would at least have a chance to get into Znasha and have the boy speak to his grandfather, if indeed he did intend to cast him out, or worse.

Then he started thinking of what would happen if a situation like that did happen, though it was nigh impossible. After all, he was his grandfather's favorite grandchild. He was basically his son. But still, if a situation like that were to arise, what would happen? He could not possibly trust any other members of the royal family. Though he was second to the throne, the future king, most of them would act without thinking. Act out on their anger regardless of the consequences. Anyone lower in status that lived outside the castle, they were far more weak and fearful of the royal family and the punishment for breaking a rule. So he didn't have to worry about them. All in all, he would just have to keep an eye on the boy while he was there. And with his skills, he'd be able to keep watch of him without even being around him. A simple task for him.

More than likely, the actual business would not happen till tomorrow evening. Even though Znasha was underground, away from the light of the sun, everyone down there still went by the time of day. Regardless of whether they could see the sun or not, they slept when it was up and went out for the night, just as any vampire above ground would do. So the boy would still have to wait quite a while. Who knew if he'd actually sleep. After all, if he himself were to go and stay a day with the traitors, he didn't think he'd be able to sleep either, knowing there were people all around that hated him and were just itching to kill him. But then, that would just give them more time to talk.

He was rather curious about the blond-haired green-eyed stranger. He didn't even know his name yet. Though, nor did he know his. Of course there would be plenty of time to get to know each other a little bit. Even if the boy did leave after talking with his grandfather, it would be nice to at least know his name and a little bit about him. Who knows, perhaps they would meet again in the future or something.

Zaphikel momentarily got a thought on how people would look on him after he brought the blond to Znasha. Regardless of whether he was a prince or not, people's didn't have to like him, just listen to him. He knew his grandfather would not be all that mad at him. Maybe slightly disappointed, but he would get over it, as he did with any faults that he usually committed. But the rest of the royal family would not soon forget it. Knowing some of them, they would hate him just as much as they hated the outcasts. Of course they wouldn't do anything to him as long as the old man was alive. It was only a matter of playing the right cards at the right moment. He would be fine until his grandfather died, then he would more than likely be at risk. But by then, he should have gained a lot more strength and would be able to take down most, if not all, people that opposed him.

He snapped out of his thoughts as the green-eyed boy gave a grin, his eyes gleaming slightly, and then gave a nod of his head and spoke. He smiled when the boy agreed to go with him. He was glad that he didn't say no, not that he had doubted he would say yes. Who would say no to him? It may be conceited and vein of him, but no one could possibly say no to him when he really truly wanted something and would do anything to get it. Thus was the attitude of a child that was spoiled since birth by those around him.

"Wonderful! I'm sure it is a decision you'll not soon regret."

So he would have a companion to talk to for the next day and night. To him, that was something odd, but non the less welcome. Usually he didn't talk to many people. He was what one would call a loner. When he was younger he had friends but after certain...incidents...no one would come around him anymore. And though he didn't mind the solitude, he had to admit, it did get lonely sometimes. He could only remember night long ago that he spent along, and days bored out of his mind wandering all on his own. Occasionally he would find someone to keep him company, but that didn't last long. Other than his grandfather, few really cared about him.

It had been so long since he last had someone to keep him company that he welcome this opportunity to talk to someone other than his grandfather, even if it was for just a little while. Was it weird of him to be thinking like that? To welcome the company of a stranger who, not long ago, he viewed as nothing more than a meal or an enemy? Granted, it was a mistake that was now over and done with, but still. Any other person would be in an absolute rage after being fooled and spoken to in a rude manner as he had received. More than likely, they would refuse to talk to them, let alone go as far as to escort them into the underground city. But then, he wasn’t just ‘any other person’.

And people around him knew that as well. Even when he was younger and he had friends, they spoke quite a bit of how weird he was. Perhaps they were joking, perhaps not, but he’d heard enough in the past to know he was not like most vampires. You would think vampire that drank the blood of humans, that so mercilessly slaughtered them for a meal and fought with their own kind to the death over a petty thing would be a monster, cruel and heartless. But he was far from that. True, he did be a little mean and torture his victim to get their blood pumping and adrenaline rushing, but he did not brutally massacre them like most others to the point they were nearly unrecognizable. He took what he needed and left. Occasionally he even left a few victims alive. Sometimes he did not need all their blood. On these instances, he would merely make sure the bite marks were hidden from the owner’s view and from anyone else that looks to them, and they would just heal on there own, and no one would ever know what happened to them. And he made sure to erase their memory so they would not speak of the moment.

No, he was far from cruel and evil...for the most part anyway. After all, a monster lurks inside everyone. It’s just whether they are able to keep their monsters in check or let them run rampant that they are able to be told apart.

Zaphikel listened as the blond spoke again, listening to what he said, blinking his eyes slightly at his words. For a minute, he didn’t say anything but start at him blinking, but then he just smiled a little and nodded.

“Of course, it’s your choice. That would just give us more time to talk, yes? Discuss a few things before the night when you talk to the king.”

It was a bit rude what the blond had said, but he simply shrugged it off, being understanding of him. Though the fact that his word to watch over him while he was there seemingly meant nothing left him a little agitated. He always kept to his word. If he said he was going to kill someone, he would do it. If he gave his word to do something for another person, he would do it. It was this way with not just him, but any high-status royal. And it was nearly certain any other royal would be slightly mad at this and not just wave it away. After all, to just brush it away would mean for them to lose a bit of their dignity. But things like dignity and pride, though they were important to him, he would sometimes wave them away if it was for a good reason, as it was now.

Zaphikel listened as the boy spoke again, seemingly just saying without thinking. Zaphikel blinked a bit after he spoke and gave a nod, then spoke with a smile.

“Well...I would think so. Of course you’d be able to go after this conversation. If it would please you, I’ll escort you back out myself once everything is said and done.”

Then, before he could even think or say anything else, the boy asked another question. Seemingly a silly one again. The blond must have been nervous, because he wasn’t taking the time to think before he spoke, just saying whatever came to his mind. Zaphikel found it actually quite a musing, a slight smirk upon his lips at the flustered blond that had a light blush on his cheeks.

It truly amused him to no end. There were few things he liked with people, few things that people did that he found amusing and liked. He wasn’t to fond of company at times, because none of them were interesting. None of them did anything he found to be cute or funny. They were all alike. But he liked this. Blushing in embarrassment and stuttering. He found things like that to be cute. Everyone was so strung up and stern nowadays. So serious. So uptight. There were reasons to be, yes, but that didn’t mean everyone had to be like that. This was like a fresh new thing he’d found. He remembered the only other person that was like this was his mother.

Zaphikel got a light smile as he started reminiscing of his wonderful mother. She was so sweet and gentle. When his father was still around, it seemed like nothing could darken her spirit. She always looked on the brighter side of things and always found good reason and explanations for things. At the same time, she would sometimes be quite shy. She blushed and giggled more than any woman he’d ever seen. He was so fond of her. But then, with the death of his father, she changed for the worse...

Zaphikel snapped from his wandering mind when the blond in front of him started talking...and talking...and talking! He blinked a bit as the boy just spoke one thing after another, not even taking a chance to breath. Well, he did, but just once, and then he kept right on talking. He just blinked and stood there, listening, barely catching any of his words because he was talking so fast and all his sentences were so run together. Then, when the boy finally stopped, he watched as the blond turned even redder and mumbled what seemed would be an apology.

For a minute there was silence...

Then Zaphikel suddenly started laughing. He knew it was rude of him to laugh, but he couldn’t help it! It was just so funny. He laughed for a bit, not saying anything, of course he made sure to stay quiet enough that the humans walking the street outside the alley would not hear him. He settled down after a while with a little sigh.

“You don’t have to take anything with you...and there will be plenty of time to get to any questions or things you want to say on the way there. And do forgive me for laughing. I couldn’t help myself. Don’t take it that I am making fun of you or anything for what you just did there. I actually thought it was rather cute. But anyway, not that we’ve got things settled and we’re in agreement, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Zaphikel Arehandora. But you can just call me Z. Who, may I ask, am I talking to?”

He smiled at the blond.

This would prove to be fun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas