{Zen Gardens}
{Bass'ken Lake}
{Buccaneer Boardwalk}
{Gold Beach}
{Old Aqueduct}
{Otami Ruins}
{Shallow Sea}
{Reserved}

This thread is a place where the Speech script of all NPC's within zOMG will be placed.
Scripts will be divided by Quest arcs, and not necessarily by which area in which the NPC resides. If at some point new areas are added, I will probably condense the scripts as needed.

Will resume updating scripts after the Christmas event has ended.

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

General Information

This thread will be composed mostly of Scripts that I have myself copied directly from the game window, and saved to a word text document. While my findings will be precise, it may at times be incomplete due to the various speech paths that some NPCs have. If you are yourself capable of getting any script that I may be missing, and are willing to submit it here, I will add it to the proper location and credit you for such.

There may also be a large gap in my info, due to not getting this idea until I reached The Aqueduct, and thus moving anew from the beginning. This is somewhat temporary, as I plan to blur through the game as quick as I am able.

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Train Sequence and Barton Sewers

Stop the Train!

Frank: Oh! Hi there. Didn't expect to see anyone else aboard. You're a brave one, aren't you?
Gaian: Am I?
Frank: You must be. With the Animated running wild out there, most people are too scared to leave Barton.
Gaian: The Animated?
Frank: You mean you haven't heard? Inanimate objects coming to life and attacking people... I'd better get you caught up, or you won't stand a chance out there. I'm Frank, by the way.
Gaian: Nice to meet you. Yeah, this sounds like something I should know.
Frank: Well, it all started when-- whoa, hold on. Is it just me, or is the train speeding up? Come over here, let's see if we can sort this out.
Frank: That's far enough.
Frank: This isn't right at all. We're getting close to the end of the line, so we should be slowing down already. We'd better do something, and fast.
Gaian: Won't the conductor stop the train?
Frank: There is no conductor. G-Corp installed an automated system on all the trains a while back. They're usually reliable, but something's obviously messed up. C'mon, let's head to the next car.
Frank: Alright, don't panic. Let's try the emergency stop lever.
Gaian: Where's that?
Frank: Just walk over by the doors and pull that red handle. That ought to do it.
The emergency stop handle snaps off in your hand.
The train isn't slowing at all!
You rip the wiring out of the control console.
That should allow manual access to the brake. Check your PDA for what to do next!

Gaian: Ah ha! There's the engine compartment up ahead!
You engage the manual brake and the train begins to slowly grind to a halt!
The train's main doors open and you exit the train.

Peelungers

You found a new Mantis ring!
Gaian: Cool. That was easy!
Barry: Hey!
Gaian: Takin' out the trash!
Target Destroyed!
Dani: Good job, Gaian!
Dani: You're a natural at this. In fact... how do you feel about the concept of civic duty, Gaian?
Gaian: What are you getting at?
Dani: We need help. Since we're close to the sewers, well...some less-than-savory things have become Animated down there. Stuff that doesn't belong outside the bathroom.
Gaian: I don't like where this is going...
Dani: I wish somebody would get in there and wipe out that mess, so to speak. I have to hold my post at these stairs, but maybe some responsible citizen who's just been given a free ring could take care of it.
Gaian: Do I have a choice?
Dani: Of course! In our free society, all able citizens may choose to serve the greater good in times of crisis and avoid being branded as cowards for the rest of their lives.
Dani: I just need you to go in there and knock a few of those nasty things out before they cause any trouble. What do you say, Gaian? Ready to fulfill your societal responsibilities?
Gaian: I guess so.
Dani: Great. The sewers are right through that door, behind Barry. Come talk to me again when you're done.
Peelunger 2/2
Dani: How ya doing with those civic obligations, Gaian?
Gaian: If I wasn't serious about our shared responsibilities to society, I wouldn't be hanging out by a sewer with an eccentric train conductor.
Barry: Hey!
Gaian: Well, anyway, I'm all done.
Dani: Good work in there. Most people are too squeamish to take action when things get this messy. Let's get you set up with another ring, shall we?
Dani: Since you already have an attack ring, it might be wise to get something that can help repair any damage you suffer along the way. So, choose any of these healing rings and I'll tell you what it does.
Gaian: Tell me about... Bandage
Dani: The Bandage ring is great for healing when you aren't in a huge hurry. It heals more total damage than Diagnose, but it does it gradually over a short period of time.
Gaian: What were the other choices?
Gaian: Tell me about... Diagnose
Dani: The Diagnose ring heals not just you, but everyone around you. It isn't as potent as the Bandage ring in final effect, but it happens all at once, and affects more than just one target.
Gaian: Let me take another look at my choices.
Gaian: Tell me about... Meat
Dani: The Meat ring increases the maximum health of your target and restores that many health points at the same time. You can use it on yourself as well as others.
Gaian: Awesome. I like the sound of being tougher than normal.
Dani: Excellent. I hope it serves you well.
You found a new Meat ring!
Dani: Now, before you go out there again, I think you should learn a little about pacing yourself. You don't want to get exhausted in the middle of a fight.
Dani: Using your rings is tiring. Some rings are more tiring than others. If you keep using them constantly without resting, you'll really sap your Stamina, and when you're completely worn out, you can't focus to channel the energy of your ring.
Gaian: So what should I do?
Dani: You'll need to rest once in a while. Take a knee and relax for minute. Once you've caught your breath, you can get up and start fighting again.
Dani: Be careful, though: kneeling makes you easier to hit. I've seen plenty of rookies kneel down to catch their breath in the middle of a fight, only to get KO'd by the first baddie that came along.
Gaian: I'll keep that in mind.
Dani: Oh, and one more thing: as you fight, you might get a bit angry or stressed out. That's natural. One of the truly bizarre properties of these rings is how they store and release that emotional energy.
Gaian: You mean the rings can mess with my emotions?
Dani: No, just the opposite: your emotions affect the rings. Whenever you use your rings or get hit by enemies, your rings capture your combat stress. We guards call this 'Rage,' since it's usually built up in the heat of battle.
Dani: You can use this Rage energy to charge up your rings for an extra-powerful burst once in a while. You'll have to focus for an extra moment or two to channel your Rage, but these bursts won't exhaust you any more than usual.
Dani: If you start to get exhausted, it might be a good idea to use your Rage to smash an enemy with a charged-up hit. With any luck, you might finish off your foe and get a chance to rest.
Gaian: Gotcha!

Nibbling Gramsters

Dani: Now that you're a little wiser in the ways of combat, ready to tackle something a little tougher?
Gaian: I guess it's my civic duty.
Dani: Good answer! So, when you were out on your first errand, you may have seen some odd green hamsters crawling around. We're not exactly sure where they came from, but those 'Gramsters' seem very similar to Grunnies, and I'd like you to find out more about them.
Gaian: What are Grunnies?
Dani: Grunnies were nasty little bright-green bunnies developed as lab animals for G-Corp experiments. Like most G-Corp experiments, it all went horribly, terribly wrong. You can ask Cindy Donivihn about it when you get to Barton, if you'd like to know more.
Gaian: So you want me to go poke at a few and see how they react?
Dani: Right. Go find a group of the Gramsters and create some mayhem with your new rings. Come back when you've dispatched enough of them to get a feel for combat.
Gaian: I'm on it!
Gramster 5/5
Dani: So...? How did it go?
Gaian: Mission accomplished! Gramsters, zero, Gaian, lots!
Dani: That's the kind of score I like to hear. You're doing exemplary work out in the field. You have the potential to lead a crew someday. Maybe it's time to let you choose a ring that will help out your future allies.
Dani: You can take your pick from these rings:
Gaian: Knife Sharpen
Dani: Knife Sharpen can be used on any ally to steady their nerves and sharpen their eyesight so they can focus ring attacks more accurately.
Gaian: Maybe I'll try one of the others.
Gaian: Improbability Sphere
Dani: The Improbability Sphere can be used on any of your allies to create a little pocket universe around them where really unlikely things sometimes occur. In the case of this ring, the result is that attacks directed at your ally will sometimes rebound and bounce back at the attacker instead of hitting your ally! It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's very useful.
Gaian: Let me have a look at my other choices...
Gaian: Rock Armor
Dani: Rock Armor creates a shell of granite around any ally target. The rock is fairly thin, so some damage might get through, but it's really useful and it lasts several minutes before you'll need to renew it.
Gaian: What are the other options again?
Gaian: Knife Sharpen
Dani: Knife Sharpen can be used on any ally to steady their nerves and sharpen their eyesight so they can focus ring attacks more accurately.
Gaian: So my allies will hit more often if I use this? Sounds perfect.
Dani: I think you'll be very happy with that choice. Use it wisely!
You found a new Knife Sharpen ring!
Dani: Well, you've got the basics down, but you should probably talk to Barry about some of the stranger qualities of rings. He's been doing a little research of his own.
Gaian: Thanks for all your help, Dani.
Dani: Any time, Gaian. If what you've learned helps Barton stand strong against the Animated, then it was time well-spent. Good luck out there, citizen!

Do a lap!

Gaian: Hi, Barry. Dani said you've been doing some research on rings...
Barry: I wouldn't call it 'research,' but I've been playing around with them. These things are really interesting-- it seems like the longer you use them, the more 'attuned' they get to your body.
Gaian: How so?
Barry: I'm not sure how it works, but it's the oddest thing... after I took a few trips out into the sewers to hunt Gramsters with Dani, I started feeling healthier. Y'know: stronger, faster, more agile.
Barry: Either I'm crazy, or I'm getting special powers from these rings. Maybe both. Funny thing is, the powers seem to fade away when I'm away from other people for too long.
Gaian: So what does this mean?
Barry: Here's my theory: these rings have some kind of special life energy. We've been calling it 'G'hi.' Using your rings gives you special G'hi-based abilities, but you can only power up these abilities by being around other people.
Barry: If you wander off alone for too long, you might not be able to use your G'hi powers, but you won't lose them. You just need to go find some people -- join a crew, mingle in Barton, whatever -- and your G'hi energy will charge back up.
Barry: I suppose when you're around other people, you must be sharing some kind of life force.
Gaian: That makes sense.
Barry: About as much sense as anything makes these days. So, yeah, that's the basic idea: use your rings to get G'hi powers, charge your powers up by staying social. Pretty simple, really.
Gaian: I get it.
Gaian: Have you learned anything else about rings?
Barry: Maybe we should keep that between you and me. You know, for... security reasons. So, changing the subject entirely: Looks like Dani's taught you well. Mind if I ask a small favor?
Gaian: What sort of favor?
Barry: Could you do a quick lap around the sewers and give the shut-off valves a twist to make sure they're closed? If they're not sealed tight, things start overflowing and it makes an unholy mess down here.
Barry: The first valve is right inside the sewer entrance, and I'll program the quickest route on your PDA map. Just head to each valve in turn and crank it shut tightly. That's all there is to it!
Gaian: I think I can handle it.
Barry: Good luck! When you come back, I'll give you the manhole cover key so you can climb right up the ladders into Barton Town.
Barry: By the way-- don't be afraid to group up with other folks you see down in the sewers! If things get rough, there's always strength in numbers.
Gaian: I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
You twist the sewer pipe handle closed. The next checkpoint in the lap appears on your PDA.
Congrats! You closed all the sewer pipes and completed the lap! Now head back to Barry!

Barry: Well done, Gaian. Seems like you can really handle yourself out there -- pretty amazing how quick Dani whipped you into shape.
Barry: Here's the manhole key. I'm sure you noticed the ladders while you were doing your lap. Just climb up one of those, and you'll pop out right in the middle of Barton Town.
Barry: Dani and I got you a little going-away present, too: a stack of these Superchargers, which can heal you up a little when you get into a tight spot. If you're too exhausted to use a healing ring, they're your best bet.
Barry: If you run out, you can always buy more from Nicolae. He runs Back Alley Bargains in Barton Town, and he's got all sorts of useful stuff.
Gaian: Thanks a lot!
Barry: When you get out to Barton Town, look for a guard named Elizabeth. She's got more experience with rings than almost anyone, and she can tell you all about this weird place called the Null Chamber. You'll definitely need to know about that before you can take full advantage of your rings.
Barry: See you around, Gaian! Good luck out there.
Gaian: You too, Barry.
You found a new Power-up!
You climb up the long ladder and emerge into the sunshine.

Completed...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Barton Town

The Null Chamber

Elizabeth: Is there something I can do for you?
Gaian: Barry sent me to you. My name is Gaian. I understand you're one of the foremost authorities on rings and something called a 'Null Chamber'.
Elizabeth: I should have known. It seems like I'm answering those questions all the time now, just because I was the first person to stumble into it around here. What did you want to know?
Gaian: Well, I've heard that the rings somehow bond with us, allowing us to draw energy from our bodies through the rings somehow. Strange stuff like that.
Elizabeth: Yeah, well, that's not even the weird stuff yet.
Gaian: Really? There's more?
Elizabeth: Yup. When you transport to that...chamber, it seems that your...err...essence seems to get recorded or bonded there somehow.
Gaian: Uhhh, that doesn't sound so good.
Elizabeth: We're not really sure. But so far it seems to be working *for* us, not against us. Going to that chamber seems to make us...well...kind of immortal. Or at least something *like* immortal anyway. If you get knocked out in the field, it's like your awareness can somehow *release* itself and fly back to reform at the Null Chamber.
Gaian: You're kidding! That's like stuff out of a fantasy story!
Elizabeth: Yeah, I agree. It's nuts. But you've got those rings on your fingers now, so they're bound to you and you'll never get them off, unless you get inside the Null Chamber. And besides...there are a LOT of Animated out there...way more of them than there are of us...and our regular weapons don't do anything to them. How else are we supposed to defend ourselves?
Gaian: ...okay, I see your point. But still...
Elizabeth: I know, I know, but it's the only choice we have at the moment. If you find something better, I'd *love* to hear about it. I really hate using these things, since we know so little about them really, but what else can we do?
Gaian: It seems so...wrong. Like someone is forcing us to make these choices and setting us up for something really bad.
Elizabeth: Let's hope not.
Elizabeth: So are you ready to know more about your rings?
Gaian: You bet!
Elizabeth: Okay. The rings themselves get created within the strongest of the Animated out there, but even the little ones often create pockets of energy that free-float away from them after they're destroyed. If you're wearing a ring near one of those orbs, the orb gets sucked toward you, ultimately absorbing into you.
Gaian: Does absorbing the orbs make me more powerful?
Elizabeth: Nope. Not directly, anyway. But when you go to the Null Chamber, you can manipulate the energy within you by forcing it into one or more of your rings, strengthening them and making them able to control more energy.
Gaian: That's confusing. You mean that you become a kind of walking battery and you can spew that battery's energy into your rings, but only when inside the Null Chamber?
Elizabeth: Exactly.
Gaian: EXACTLY?!? I don't even know what I'm talking about!!
Elizabeth: If it helps, you're just like the rest of us in that regard. We just know that this stuff *works*. Not why, not how, nor whether it will KEEP working or not. But it works for now, and that's good enough.
Gaian: Okay, so you trash the Animateds to get orbs, and then use the orbs to charge up your rings so they're more powerful. Right. So what do you want me to do?
Elizabeth: I want to give you a few of the charge orbs right now. Then you can head to the Null Chamber and move those orbs into at least one of your rings. After you've done that, come back and we'll talk about a real mission.
Gaian: Great, but where's the Null Chamber?
Elizabeth: If you head to the town's South Gate and out into the Village Greens, it's only a short way directly south from the gate, just off the road to the east and I'll update your PDA so you can see the location easily once you get to the Village Greens.
Gaian: Cool, Elizabeth. Thanks!
Elizabeth: Okay. Good luck then. See you soon.
A powerful force moves you through space...
Trixie: Hi there and welcome to the Null Chamber! I'm Trixie. I've been posted here to make sure people don't get too overwhelmed the first time they come here.
Gaian: Ummm...thanks. My name is Gaian. Elizabeth sent me here to learn about upgrading my rings.
Trixie: Oh! That's easy, actually! Do you have any charge orbs yet?
Gaian: You bet. Elizabeth gave me a few to experiment with.
Trixie: Good, good. Well, it's pretty basic. The charge orbs are an extension of you now that you possess them, so you just have to *think* about moving them into a specific ring to make it happen. Kind of the same way that you tell your legs to move when you want to walk. It's almost unconscious.
Gaian: Hmmm...it doesn't *seem* unconscious.
Trixie: Okay...it can be tricky the first time. The funny thing is, you can only move the orbs here in the Null Chamber. But just keep at it! You'll get the hang of it!
Congratulations! You upgraded your ring!

Elizabeth: You look pleased with yourself. Something tells me you've got good news for me, Gaian!
Gaian: Indeed, I do! Mission accomplished!
Elizabeth: That's great!
Elizabeth: Since you've got rings and you know how to use them, you should be able to make your own path now. Unless you'd like me to give you more advice, of course.
Gaian: Sure. What can you tell me about?
Elizabeth: What are you interested in?
Gaian: Defending the town and struggling against the Animated.
Elizabeth: Well, if you're interested in defending the town, then you should head through the South Gate down to the Village Greens. Head south down the road and you'll eventually find Commander Leon standing near the road. Leon knows a lot about the area and he'll definitely have things you can do.
Gaian: Sounds perfect, Elizabeth. I'll head down south and look for Commander Leon.

Nelson's Quiz

Elizabeth: Since you've got rings and you know how to use them, you should be able to make your own path now. Unless you'd like me to give you more advice, of course.
Gaian: Sure. What can you tell me about?
Elizabeth: What are you interested in?
Gaian: A quick refresher test on the stuff that Dani and Barry taught me.
Elizabeth: Good choice. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Head on over to the West Gate and look for a guy named Nelson. He's kind of unofficial associate of the Regulars and he helps us debrief our trainees after they get the basics down.
Gaian: 'Associate, eh?' Okay, that sounds pretty simple. Thanks! See you later!
Elizabeth: See you later, Gaian. Be safe!
Gaian: Hi there. Are you Nelson?
Nelson: I sure am. What's up?
Gaian: Elizabeth sent me. She wanted me to touch base with you to see if I knew the ropes well enough to go out into the world.
Nelson: Well, all right. I can do that. I'll tell you what. I'll ask you questions, and keep asking you those questions until you can answer them all. If you eventually learn all the answers, I'll reward you with something cool.
Gaian: Hey, neat. Okay, then...lay those questions on me!
Nelson: All right. Here goes...
Nelson: Which of the following are valid ways to move around in the game?
Gaian: All of the above will work.
Nelson: Well done! There's lots of ways to move in this game! Now for the next question!
Nelson: If someone gave you a task to accomplish, but you've forgotten what you're supposed to do, how do you find out what you need to know?
Gaian: Click on the PDA button on my Action Bar and look in the Tasks area for details.
Nelson: Exactly! Your PDA is invaluable, and your task list also acts as a log of everything you've done over time. Okay...question number 3 now.
Nelson: You can only see the area immediately around you. Is there a way to become more aware of the area farther away from you?
Gaian: Open your PDA and look at the Map feature there so I can see where I'm located and what's around me.
Nelson: Yup, that PDA's a handy gadget. Okay, you're doing well. Let's keep going.
Nelson: What are the two easy ways you can select a target?
Gaian: Clicking on the target or using the tilda key to cycle targets
Nelson: Good answer. It's tough to defeat an enemy if you can't even pick a target. Next question!
Nelson: Let's imagine you've been fighting a while and you're starting to get beat up and exhausted. How could you deal with that?
Gaian: Use a Supercharger power-up!
Nelson: I was being a bit tricky that time. Taking a knee would work to recover stamina and health, but in combat, you'd get trashed by your foes if you knelt during a fight. I wasn't sure you'd know about the Superchargers yet, but if you want to know more, go talk to Nicolae at Back Alley Bargains. Okay, good job for now, let's move on.
Nelson: After you fight for a while and you build up enough Rage, how do you focus that Rage through your ring?
Gaian: Select your target and then hold down the mouse button or ring hotkey until the meter gets to the Rage Rank you want to use and release to attack with that power.
Nelson: Exactly! That's a great trick in combat. Very effective for managing your Stamina. All righty then...next!
Nelson: As you use your rings, your capacity to store G'hi energy will increase. But you need to be around people to restore that energy on occasion, but some ways of regaining G'hi energy are faster than others. What is the slowest way of regaining G'hi, and what is the fastest?
Gaian: Slowest is by being around soloers and the fastest is by hanging around in Barton Town.
Nelson: That's it! Hanging around soloers will slow down your G'hi loss, being in a Crew will slow it down further, or even gain you G'hi when in a large Crew, and being in Barton Town is the fastest of all. Well done. Next!
Nelson: So, you've got all these rings, and you've collected some Charge Orbs from the Animated, chests, or quests. How do you make your rings more powerful?
Gaian: Go to the Null Chamber where you can freely swap rings, upgrade them and salvage them.
Nelson: Of course. The Null Chamber is the *only* place you can move your rings around and upgrade them. Okay, only two more questions!
Nelson: So, what's a power-up?
Gaian: Power-ups are one-use items that you can buy from Back Alley Bargains that let you survive drastic combat situations by providing quick heals, stamina refreshes, or extra power to your rings.
Nelson: Good, good! Nicolae drives a hard bargain, but his goods are high-quality. Power-ups are optional equipment, but they can be downright useful.
Nelson: Okay! Last question! What are the Animated?
Gaian: I'm pretty sure G-Corp is behind it all. They're always behind *everything* aren't they?
Nelson: heh. That last question doesn't really have an answer. Not yet at least. We don't know what's behind the Animated...but we're all trying to find out. If you figure something out, then let the rest of us know too, okay?
Gaian: Will do. Does that mean I passed the test?
Nelson: You betcha. And because in a perfect world all tests would result in rewards, here's a recipe I've found along the way.
Gaian: A recipe? What for?
Nelson: Certain combinations of items you can find out there in the world can be combined to form useful or pleasing clothing and housing items. You need a recipe to figure out how to assemble everything together. So I'm giving you one of those blueprints now.
Gaian: Hey, cool. You mean I can *make* something with this?
Nelson: If you find all the parts you need, then yes. Try it out when you get time!
Gaian: Will do!
Nelson: That's it for now, Gaian. Good job! Stay safe!
You just found the Recipe: Bonsai Wings!

Ellie's Friends

Ellie: ...can't talk. Busy.
Gaian: Painting, eh?
Ellie: It's my passion. I was supposed to meet some friends for lunch, but the light is *just* right at the moment.
Gaian: That's...not good?
Ellie: It's very good! But this light only happens once a day!
Gaian: But what about your friends?
Ellie: Oh, drat, you're right. Would you mind doing me a favor?
Gaian: Sure. I'd be glad to help. What do you need?
Ellie: I was supposed to meet up with Maestro and Agatha for a chat. Maestro is at the Music Box and Agatha runs Barton Jewelers. Could you run over to each of their stores and let them know I'll be late?
Gaian: The Maestro at the Music Box, and Agatha at Barton Jewelers?
Ellie: That's right! Thanks for doing this. I hate to be rude, but I've got to get back to it before the light changes!
Gaian: No problem. See you soon, Ellie!
The Maestro: Hi there. Welcome to the Music Box! Do you know what Mozart is doing right now?
Gaian: Ummm, no...what?
The Maestro: He's de-composing! Ha!
Gaian: Ack! Puns! Ellie is actually a friend of yours?
The Maestro: Oh ho! So you know Ellie?
Gaian: Well, actually, I just met her, but she asked me to come tell you something.
The Maestro: What a coincidence. I'm supposed to be meeting her and Agatha in just a few minutes.
Gaian: Right. Except that's what I'm supposed to tell you...she's not coming. Something about the light being perfect right now...
The Maestro: Of course. I should have known. She's painting. Oh well, I'll stop by later and see how it comes out.
Gaian: All right then. See ya.
The Maestro: Hey, just a second! Have you stopped in to see Agatha yet?
Gaian: No, not yet. Why?
The Maestro: I wasn't sure if she was in her shop today, with all the craziness going on. I've been meaning to check up on her.
Gaian: Okay. I'll stop by and see her soon.
The Maestro: Thanks! And always remember, you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!
Gaian: ...argh. Stop. Now. Before you pun again.
The Maestro: Party pooper.
Agatha: Hello there, hun. What may I do for you?
Gaian: Ellie asked me to come by and see you.
Agatha: Hmmm, we haven't met before, so let me do a bit of guessing, you stopped to see Miss Ellie while she was painting and she asked you for a favor out of the blue.
Gaian: Well, yes. I suppose it was something like that.
Agatha: And I suppose she wants you to tell me she can't come along right now because her paint is wet or the light is just right or she just HAS to draw out a sudden inspiration. Yes?
Gaian: Yes! That's it exactly! About the lighting part anyway. How did you know?
Agatha: To Ellie, painting is more important than breathing. She has missed more appointments because of reasons like that than we can count. But we all love her. She's incredibly talented.
Gaian: Well, she's missing her date with you today, so she's lucky you think so highly of her.
Agatha: Hmmm. Yes, she is. Thank you for coming by and letting me know, dear.
Ellie: Oh, hi again, Gaian! Did you get a chance to talk to Agatha and The Maestro yet?
Gaian: I sure did! They know all about the situation with your painting and the light.
Ellie: Thank you so much! This piece I'm working on now is SO worth the effort. You've been a real help.
Gaian: Thanks! It was nothing. Good luck with your painting!

Interviewing NewBea, James, and Julian

Cindy Donovinh: Good evening and welcome to Channel Nine News, your source for the Zurg, the Animated, G-Corp, and everything else Gaia. This is Cindy Donovinh reporting.
Gaian: Reporting? Uhm, reporting what?
Cindy Donovinh: I'm here, live, with... I'm sorry, what did you say your name was?
Gaian: My name is Gaian.
Cindy Donovinh: I'm here, live, with Gaian - I have it on good authority that Gaian is very involved with the Animated? Tell us, Gaian, what do you know?
Gaian: You must have me confused with someone else. I don't know anything!!
Cindy Donovinh: CUT! Can we talk, off the record?
Gaian: Off the record? What are you...? Nevermind. Sure. Let's talk 'off the record.'
Cindy Donovinh: Channel 9 employs a number of roving reporters to bring Gaia the most comprehensive news programming on television. We're always looking for new talent, but if you don't have anything to say, I can't use you. Get out there and get me a story!
Gaian: A story? Where am I supposed to find a story?
Cindy Donovinh: Coming after the break, Gaian has a live interview with one of Barton Town's newest Gaians, NewBea, at the fountain in the center of town.
NewBea: HELLO GAIA!
Gaian: Hello, NewBea. This is Gaian, with Channel Nine News. I'd like to ask you a few questions.
NewBea: OK! Sounds like fun. HEHE!
Gaian: Okay, let's begin. How long have you been in Gaia?
NewBea: Oh! I just got here! Can I have some gold?
Gaian: Maybe later. What has your time in Gaia been like so far? Are people nice or mean?
NewBea: Some people have been really nice! They gave me gold! Others have been mean, and just yell at me when I ask for gold. Very mean. Don't they know I'm new and don't have any?
Gaian: What brings you to the fountain?
NewBea: I got lost trying to find the forums. I'm just here to chat! Hehehe!
Gaian: Thank you for your time, NewBea. For Channel Nine News this is Gaian. Now back to Cindy Donovinh in the studio.
NewBea: Can I have some gold? PLEEEEEZ?!?
Gaian: All right! Enough already!
Cindy Donovinh: And now, here is Gaian with a special report on a new citizen of Barton Town, NewBea.
Gaian: No, Cindy, I broadcast the interview 'live.' Didn't you watch it?
Cindy Donovinh: Of course I did! Another fine example of breaking news from Channel Nine. Are you ready for your second interview?
Gaian: Yes. Who am I interviewing next?
Cindy Donovinh: James has just been posted outside the Tavern, west of the Barton Town fountain. Channel Nine News will conduct an exclusive interview.
James: Hey, did you hear the one about the guard that thought she was a mime?
Gaian: I am here to interview you for Channel Nine News. Do you have time?
James: Are you sure you wouldn't rather interview Margaret? Regular chatter-box that one!
Gaian: Very funny. So tell me, James, how is your new post at the Guild Hall treating you?
James: Oh, it's great. Way better than my last post with Margaret. With the forums nearby there's always someone to talk to.
Gaian: Would you recommend the forums to new Gaians?
James: Definitely! They're the best place to meet people and sometimes they're just a riot. Don't tell Leon, but I usually spend most of my shift there!
Gaian: Your secret is safe with me. Well, that's all we have time for today. Back to Cindy Donovinh in the Channel Nine News studio.
Cindy Donovinh: Once again, that was Channel Nine's very own roving reporter, Gaian, with an interview of James. Thanks Gaian.
Gaian: Thank you Cindy. That James is quite a character!
Cindy Donovinh: Channel Nine News report, Gaian, recently interviewed Julian about the boy who fell down the northwest well.
Gaian: Thanks Cindy, I'll be bringing you that story after these messages.
Cindy Donovinh: We look forward to hearing from you, Gaian.
Julian: Watch out for the well!
Gaian: Hello Julian, I am Gaian, reporting for Channel Nine News. Speaking of the well, would you like to comment on the rumors suggesting that someone recently fell down it?
Julian: What?! Who told you that? Was it William? That blasted...
Gaian: So someone did fall down the well?
Julian: NO! Nobody has fallen down the well. That's just William trying to discredit me. As if it isn't bad enough that he acts like a penguin, now he's spreading lies and rumors about me!
Gaian: What about the strange sounds others have been reporting?
Julian: Dreams! Hallucinations! Imaginations run wild! NOBODY IS DOWN THAT WELL! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm very busy.
Gaian: Very well. Thank you, Julian...
Cindy Donovinh: Thank you, Gaian, for your interview of Julian. Very hard-hitting.
Gaian: Yes, Cindy. It seems Julian is a bit unhinged...
Cindy Donovinh: These times are tough on everyone, Gaian. And that's...the way it is. This is Cindy Donovinh...signing off! Good...day!
You just found the Recipe: Rolled-Up Newspaper!

Diary of a cat

Rufus: Welcome to Barton Boutique! My name is Rufus.
Gaian: Nice to meet you, Rufus. What's going on?
Rufus: Oh, I'm just waiting for a friend. He should have been here a while ago. I wonder where he is.
Gaian: I could look for him if you like.
Rufus: Hmmm, no, that's okay. I'm sure he'll be along soon.
Gaian: So, why are you wearing clothes? You do know you're just a cat, right?
Rufus: Just a cat?! How many cats do you know that can talk? Or own a store? Not very many, I'd wager.
Gaian: Sorry Rufus, tell me about Barton Boutique.
Rufus: At Barton Boutique you can buy all sorts of clothing, but we specialize in animal accessories. Ever wanted a tail? Paws? Wings? If so, you've come to the right place.
Gaian: I'll keep that in mind. So, what's going on with you?
Rufus: I can't find my diary! I'm so worried that someone will find it an read it, but I have no idea where it is and I can't leave the boutique to look for it.
Gaian: Where did you last see it? Just retrace your steps and I'm sure you'll remember where you left it.
Rufus: I was writing in it behind the well... it must be somewhere between here and there. Do you think you could look? I trust you not to read it.
Gaian: Sure, Rufus. I'll go look immediately.
Rufus: Thanks!
You have located Rufus the Cat's diary!
Rufus: My diary! I'm so relieved. Thank you, Gaian.
Gaian: I was happy to help.

Fernando's Secret

Fernando: Who'd have thought, when I was a child, that I would have become a guard? I was destined for so much more...before the accident.
Gaian: An accident? Were you injured?
Fernando: Suffice to say, I have not been on stage since it happened. My life in the spotlight ended that day.
Gaian: That's terrible! What happened?
Fernando: No. I do not talk about the specifics of that incident. It is far too painful to recall.
Gaian: Oh, come on. I have to know!
Fernando: I told you I'm not talking about it. Only an unemotional robot could talk about something so painful.
Anniedroid: Loading...Please wait... Ah, there you are. What may I do for you, Gaian?
Gaian: Hey Annie. I was just talking to Fernando about his accident but he won't tell me what happened. Do you have any idea?
Anniedroid: This information is contained in my data-bank. Shall I access filename Fernando_accident?
Gaian: Yes, please.
Anniedroid: One moment... Accessing...
Anniedroid: ...Accessing...
Anniedroid: ...Mounting Data...
Anniedroid: ...Executing Unrelated Functions...
Anniedroid: ...Beginning System Erasure, Cancel or Allow?
Gaian: Cancel.
Anniedroid: ...Cancelling System Erasure...
Gaian: Could this take any longer?
Anniedroid: ...Taking Longer...
Gaian: GAH! Display already!
Anniedroid: ...Displaying File... Fernando_accident...
Anniedroid: Fernando (A.K.A. Fabulously Flying Fernando), performed with zipper down. Refers to incident as 'the accident.' Last recorded instance of Fernando_dance. End of file.
Gaian: Were you waiting for me to say 'display' the whole time?
Anniedroid: Affirmative.
Gaian: Uhg. Your interface is worse than DOS.
Anniedroid: Error... Unknown Command... Exiting.
Gaian: What?! I wasn't even trying to give a command! Oh, nevermind. I need to go find Fernando some zipper-less pants, anyway.
Fernando: Please don't ask me about my accident.
Gaian: Accident? You mean when you forgot to pull your zipper up?
Fernando: What?! Who told you?!
Gaian: Anniedroid.
Fernando: I knew it! That little robot-wannabe is always gossiping about me! Oooh, I'm so mad I could pull her plug!
Gaian: Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. I'll even track down a pair of zipper-less pants for you to prove it.
Fernando: Good luck with that. I've been looking all over!
Gaian: Surely one of the shops in Barton Town will have something.

Fabulously Flying Fernando

Rufus: Hey, Gaian! I'm so glad to see you again!
Gaian: Hey, Rufus! What did you do with your pants, Rufus?
Rufus: I think I have them around here somewhere. I never wear them. They don't even have a zipper. Where would I put my tail?
Gaian: Do you think I could have them?
Rufus: Uhm, I suppose I owe you. What do you need them for?
Gaian: I'm giving them to Fernando so he'll dance again.
Fernando: What are these? OMG! No zipper! These are perfect. Where did you find them?
Gaian: Rufus gave them to me.
Fernando: Rufus? He never wears pants though...
Gaian: Exactly, that's why he was willing to part with him.

The Lucky Coin

Gaian: Hello there. You seem quite...penguin-ish...
William: Beep! beep beepity beep 'William'!
Gaian: What's that? Your name is Willy? And Timmy's in the well, you say? Do you need help?
William: ??? Beep beep!
Gaian: hehehe. Don't worry. I was just kidding. I getcha. Your name is William. But listen, I don't get the beepity beep stuff. What are you saying?
William: b-beep beep BEEP 'well' beepers.
Gaian: 'well'? Are you kidding me? There really *is* something going on in the well?
William: BEEP!
Gaian: The well across town? Over near the north gate?
William: BEEPITY!
Gaian: But what? You've got to help me out here, buddy!
William: *cough* Okay, listen and I'll make this quick. I loaned my lucky coin to another guard, Alma, yesterday. She says she forgot that it was mine and made a wish at either the town fountain or at the well. If you could find that coin and return it to me, I'd make it worth your while. Honest!
Gaian: Wow! The penguin talks! What else can you say?
William: Beep! BEEP! beep?
Gaian: Okay, okay. You're back to being a penguin and that's all I'm going to get. Gotcha. I'll go hunt around in the fountain and well and see what I can find. No guarantees, but I'll look for your coin, William
Gaian: Hmmm...no coin here. Must be the other spot.
Gaian: Woohoo! I found the lucky coin!
William: Beep Beep BEEEEEEP!
Gaian: You seem kind of happy. I'm guessing you saw the coin in my hand, eh?
William: Beepity beepity!
Gaian: You got it, William. Here you go! One lucky coin, as promised!
William: Thanks! And...Carpe Carp!
Gaian: What? You spoke human again! But...'Carpe Carp'? I've heard of 'Carpe Diem', or 'Seize the Day', but what the heck does 'Carpe Carp' mean?
William: beepity!
Gaian: Okay, okay. I'll figure it out myself. Well, I'm glad I could help with your coin, and I'll keep my eye out for a siezable carp.
William: buh-beep!
Gaian: buh-bye to you too.

Olivia's Cookies

Olivia: Have you come by to play with Leon?
Gaian: What? No. I...
Olivia: That boy and his guard friends have gone to 'save the entire town', as they put it. It's so cute when they get excited about something.
Gaian: I was just wondering if...
Olivia: Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. He puts on his big suit and goes trodding off under the sun every day, and then comes home and complains that it's too hot in there.
Gaian: Is there someone else I can talk to...?
Olivia: He's a good boy though. I told him 'Young man, if that suit is so hot, why don't you use it as a smoker and smoke me up some sausages?' and wouldn't you know it, he went and did it! Started bringing me big bags of smoked sausages every week. Though sometimes they would have strange cat hair all over them...
Gaian: HELLO?!?
Olivia: I'm sorry, sweetie. What do you need?
Gaian: Do I smell...cookies?
Olivia: Why yes you do! Have one! They're shaped like little swords. I was baking them mostly for Leon and the boys, because the guild hall smells like a locker room. I was hoping the smell of freshly baked cookies would overpower the musk.
Gaian: Did it work?
Olivia: ...No. Not really. But the cookies did come out nice and substantial. Would you like to help me take them to the guards?
Gaian: Sure. I'd be glad to help. Which guards do you want me to take cookies to?
Olivia: Well, I haven't finished enough for ALL the guards just yet, so perhaps you could just take these to John, Martha, and William for now?
Gaian: Whoa. These things are heavy! A few of these cookies are going to go a long way...
Olivia: That's a nice thought, dearie. Now hurry, while the cookies are still warm, they seem to get much heavier when cold. John is at North Gate, while Martha is at West Gate and William is down by the South Gate with Clara.
Gaian: Got it! John at North Gate, Martha at West, and William at the South Gate. See you later!
Gaian: Hi there! I've got a present for you!
John: Oh yeah? What've you got?
Gaian: I've got... A wonderful melt-in-your-mouth cookie extravaganza!
John: Oh, let me at them! *chew, groffle, scarp*
Gaian: You might try to at least chew once every third bite...
John: Mmrmrph. Thrztf rr orfalmph.
Gaian: What's that?
John: *spits* I said 'Those are awful!' Are you trying to kill me?
Gaian: Ummm, no. Not me, anyway. They're from Leon's Mom.
John: LEON'S MOM! Great googly moogly! Don't EVER bring me cookies from that woman again. She's the sweetest mother in the world to Leon, but she's a biological hazard in the kitchen. Holeee catz. I'm lucky to be alive.
Gaian: I...see. Well, I'll just mosey along then.
Gaian: Leon's mom sends her very best! Cookies for you!
Martha: Oh. Ummm, I've been working so hard to maintain my figure recently. I don't suppose I really should.
Gaian: Just try one! I'd hate to tell Olivia that you didn't even try *one*.
Martha: You would do that? You WOULD do that! Oh no. All right. Give me one. I'll eat it later.
Gaian: hehehe. Clever girl. I'd 'eat it later' too.
Martha: No really! Of course I'll eat it!
Gaian: Mmmm-hmmm...
Martha: Oh all right. You win. I'm not going to eat that thing and you know it. Olivia is such a well-meaning woman. It's a shame that she's such a terror when cooking.
Gaian: Well, don't worry. I'll never tell. Your secret is safe with Gaian.
Martha: Thanks, Gaian. I'd really hate to hurt her feelings.
Gaian: No problem. Remember to bury that cookie deeply where it won't leak out and poison anything.
Gaian: Hello there...ummm...Guard?
William: Beep.
Gaian: Beep, eh? I...see. So you're a penguin?
William: Beep!
Gaian: I'll take that as a yes. Aren't you a bit far from Antarctica?
William: ...beep.
Gaian: Oh sorry. Being that far from home must make you sad. Here, have a cookie.
William: Beep beep!
Gaian: Two for 'no', eh? Okay, are you sure? Leon's mom made them special for you!
William: BEEP! BEEP!
Gaian: Heh. Okay. I'll try to pawn them off on someone else then. You're pretty wise...for a penguin.
William: beep beep beepity beepity beep
Gaian: You're doing it again. You know I don't speak 'beep'.
William: Beep. Platebeep, beeper Olivia. Beep?
Gaian: Take the plate back to Olivia now that it's empty? I'm worried that I'm starting to understand you, but okay...gotcha, penguin boy.
Olivia: Oh good! You've delivered all the cookies! Thank you so much! Did the guards enjoy their cookies?
Gaian: Errr...yes. They seemed very impressed at the...solidity of them all.
Olivia: As well they should be. It's the trick of double-boiling the molasses until it has the consistency of a fine tar that really does the trick. That and adding those wonderfully flavorful chunks of pork lard. There's nothing that doesn't taste better once it has that hint of bacon in it.
Gaian: Oh...my. That sounds...filling. I'm sorry I didn't snag a few for myself.
Olivia: Well, we can solve that for you tomorrow, but not today. Come back sometime and I'll save a few out for you! Meanwhile, here's something for your trouble since you hauled those heavy cookies all over Town for me.
Gaian: Lucky me!

Leon's lunch pail

Olivia: You know, there is something else you could do for me, if you're interested...
Gaian: Sure! What do you need?
Olivia: Oh, thank you, dear! I packed Leon's lunch today, but with all the craziness going on, he headed down south without taking his lunch pail. Would you mind running it down to him?
Gaian: To Leon? Isn't he outside of Barton Town right now?
Olivia: Yes, that's right! He tends to wander around, so I recommend that you ask his second-in-command, Clara, about where he's patrolling. Clara should be over at the South Gate.
Gaian: Okay. I'll go talk to Clara then. Thanks!
Olivia: Thank you so much. You're a doll.
Lt. Clara: Hi there, Gaian!
Gaian: Hi there, Clara! Olivia sent me over to ask you about Leon.
Lt. Clara: Oh? What do you need to know about?
Gaian: Do you know where he is?
Lt. Clara: Leon tends to roam around, but he's probably near one of the entrances to the Village enclave to the south. Just follow the road down from Barton's South Gate and you should eventually bump into Leon.
Gaian: Okay. Sounds great. His mom asked me to take this lunchpail to him. He left it behind.
Lt. Clara: Lunchpail? From Olivia? Wow. Well, if you get in trouble out there, don't be tempted to open it up as a weapon. The smell alone would probably knock you out before you got a chance to use it against a foe.
Gaian: Oh, don't worry. I do NOT plan to open this thing. I remember the Cookies!
Lt. Clara: Good, good. Thanks...and be safe!
Commander leon: Hello there, citizen. What can I do for you?
Gaian: Your mom asked me to bring you some lunch.
Commander leon: Aha! I thought I detected the delicious low-tide bouquet of her famous pineapple oyster casserole.
Gaian: Bon appetit!
Commander leon: Thanks for bringing it all the way out here. This'll really hit the spot after a long day of fighting.
Gaian: You're welcome!
Commander leon: Say, would you mind taking the empty pail back to my mom next time you're in Barton?
Gaian: I'll do that right away.
Commander leon: There's no rush. Whenever you happen to be back that way, just drop it off. I'm sure she'll reward you for the effort. Thanks, Gaian!
Olivia: Oh! You're back already, Gaian! Did you find Leon?
Gaian: I sure did! He really enjoyed the...food...you sent him.
Olivia: I'm so glad! How is he doing?
Gaian: Your son is strong and able. It's dangerous out there, but he's doing a fantastic job of protecting us all against the Animated.
Olivia: Oh, I'm SO glad! Thank you, Gaian! I knew that you were the right kind of person to trust! Let me see here, I have something here for you...
Gaian: Thank you, Olivia! It was nothing! Enjoy your day, and I'll see you again soon!

Pink Flamingo Feathers

Rina: Hi there! Isn't it a GREAT day today?
Gaian: Ummm... It sure is!
Rina: That's great to hear! Gosh, I wish everyone was as happy as we are! Wheeeee! What do you want to talk about? My shop? Favorite colors? Best pets to have? What?
Gaian: Pets! Animals are great!
Rina: I like kittens and doggies and bunnies and hamsters and fish and birdies and gwees. Which do you like?
Gaian: I like everything!
Rina: Me too! Wheee! It's not everyday I find someone as happy as I am. Please come by and say hi again another time, my shiny new FRIEND!
Gaian: I will, Rina. Thanks!
Rina: Okay, Gaian. By-eee!
Candice: Hi there! Isn't it a simply fabulous day?
Gaian: It is! You seem really cheery. Is there something in the water around here?
Candice: No, silly. Barton Town's water is purified in the Reclamation Center toward Durem. It's tasty and sparkilicious!
Gaian: Sparkilicious, eh? You remind me a lot of Rina, the girl across the street.
Candice: ...
Gaian: Was it something I said?
Candice: That girl always imitates everything I do. I can't *stand* her!
Gaian: 'She' imitates 'you'?
Candice: Yes! And it drives me CRAZY! I was always the bubbliest and ditziest of us all, and now that red-haired squirrel-brain steals all my glory!
Gaian: Can't you try being even...ditzier? To sort of steal back your lost glory?
Candice: Ooooo! I never *thought* of that! Hee hee HEEE! I love it! You're such a wonderful smarty person! Thanks! I'll start right away!
Gaian: Okay. Lay it on me. Be ditzy!
Candice: Hi! I'm Candice! Err, no...Candy! No, wait! Candi! Or better yet...KANDI!
Gaian: It sounds like you're on the right track. Nice job, Kandi!
Candice: You're MY friend now, Gaian! Thanks so much for my new name!
Gaian: Okay. See ya for now!
Rina: Hello...Gaian...
Gaian: Hi there, Rina!
Rina: ...*glare*...
Gaian: What?!? What's wrong? Where's the bubbly Rina that I've always known?
Rina: Oh, you! How could you?
Gaian: How could I do what?!?
Rina: You...SPOKE...to that pink-haired vixen across the street! And I've heard that now she's even calling you her FRIEND!
Gaian: Wow. Word gets around fast in this Town. But...so? Why is that a problem?
Rina: Because she imitates *everything* I do and I'm tired of people confusing us in conversations!
Gaian: But, how could people get confused between you two?
Rina: I just don't know! I mean, I'm a sunny blonde and she has that cheap pink dye job!
Gaian: I don't want to be in your feud, Rina. If I can't be both of your friends, then I'm going to be friends with neither of you so I can stay out of the fight.
Rina: Is that so?
Gaian: Yeah. That's so.
Rina: Oh.
Gaian: I'm sorry. I just don't want to be the ping-pong ball in your little paddle battle with Candice.
Rina: ...was I being mean, Gaian?
Gaian: Yes, I suppose you could say that. I'm sure you didn't *mean* to be mean, but making me choose between you and Candice isn't nice.
Rina: I guess I can see that puts you in a hard place...but...
Gaian: No buts, Rina. It's just not nice.
Rina: Okay. Well, maybe, just maybe, you could be friends with me AND Candice at the same time?
Gaian: That would be *really* nice, Rina.
Rina: Maybe you could help me bury the hatchet with Candice? Maybe act as a kind of peace maker between us?
Gaian: That would be great, Rina! What can I do to help?
Rina: Well, Candice likes pink. A LOT. I've heard of pink flamingos running around down near the villages. Do you think you could collect up some pink flamingo feathers and bring them back to me so I can make a feather boa for Candice?
Gaian: I'd be happy to help out, Rina. I'll get those feathers and bring them back for you!
Pink Flamingo Feather 2/2
Rina: Hi again, Gaian! Did you get them? Did you?
Gaian: I sure did!
Rina: Yay! That's great!! The feathers are so soft. They'll be easy to weave together. In fact, just a sec...yeah, I think I can do this right now!
Gaian: Neat, Rina! You're great with weaving.
Rina: Thanks! It's going really fast. I get lots of practice arranging flowers all day. It makes my fingers nimble!
Gaian: I'll bet.
Rina: There! It's done!
Rina: Could you do me one last favor?
Gaian: Sure, Rina! Why would I stop now?
Rina: Fabutastic! I can't take this boa over to Candice myself. She'd take one look at me and start throwing things. Could you do it for me?
Gaian: Sure, Rina! One more trip across the street!
Rina: Ooh, I can't wait to hear if she likes it! Good luck, Gaian!
Candice: Hello, Gaian! How have you been?
Gaian: Great! Hey! A friend of mine asked me to bring you a present!
Candice: A present? For me?!?
Gaian: Yup. It's a handmade boa, woven from pink flamingo feathers!
Candice: Flamingo feathers! Pink! It's BEAUTIFUL!!
Gaian: My friend will be very happy that you like it. She wove it together herself just to make you happy.
Candice: She did? Who is she? Tell me!
Gaian: Okay, but brace yourself!
Candice: ...why?
Gaian: Because the person that made this for you, the person that wants to be your friend and make you happy, is...Rina.
Candice: ...
Gaian: Candice? Are you okay?
Candice: Yesss. I'm just really, really surprised. Rina? Really?!?
Gaian: Really. She thought better about your feud and asked me to bring this boa over to you as a peace present.
Candice: It's really, really nice. Oh. Rina's actually pretty nice, isn't she?
Gaian: Yeah. I think you two just didn't mix well at first because you're so much alike. In fact, I think you'd probably be best friends if you gave her a chance.
Candice: Oh, Gaian! This is the best present ever. A feather boa AND a new friend. Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!
Gaian: I'm glad to help bring you two together. I can just imagine the conversations you're going to have now.
Candice: Yes! They'll be splendifertastic!
Gaian: Hehehe. I'm sure they will be. Have fun, Candice!
Candice: I will! You too, Gaian!
Rina: Well? How did it go? Did Candice like the boa?!?
Gaian: She sure did, Rina. She LOVED it...and better yet, she wants to be friends with you now!
Rina: YAY! We did it, Gaian! This will be so cool! It'll be like having a sister!
Gaian: It's true. You're like reflections of the same person sometimes.
Rina: That'll be so much FUN! I have a present for you, Gaian. I want you to take it, even though it's a lot. You've done a lot for me and I think you deserve a nice reward, so here's a recipe you can use to make something special.
Gaian: Wow. Thanks, Rina!
Rina: You deserve that and more. Thanks again, Gaian, for giving me a sister to share with!
Gaian: Good luck to you, Rina. Stay happy!
Rina: Okay, Gaian! By-eee!
You just found the Recipe: Flamingo Feather Boa!

Completed for now...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Village Greens

An Advancing Enemy

Commander Leon: Hark! State your business in the Village Greens, citizen.
Gaian: Hark?
Commander Leon: Yeah, it means... well, I don't know, it just sounds commanding. Sorry. Anyway, what brings you here?
Gaian: Can I help you defend this area?
Commander Leon: Maybe you can. I see that you're already wearing some rings; those seem to be our best bet right now.
Gaian: Can you tell me anything about these rings?
Commander Leon: The Barton Regulars have been fighting the Animated for a while now, so we've discovered a lot of interesting things about the rings. What would you like to know?
Gaian: Where did they come from?
Commander Leon: Some G-Corp labtechs started handing them out to the Barton Regulars shortly after the Animated first appeared. Soon after that, they started giving them out to pretty much everyone.
Commander Leon: At first I was kind of wary about giving weapons to just anyone, but we quickly found that - for now, at least - citizens can't use rings to harm each other.
Commander Leon: Nobody knows where G-Corp got the rings. Rumor has it that Johnny Gambino has denied all knowledge of them.
Commander Leon: We know that rings can be found inside defeated Animated, but it seems like the Animated can only be defeated with rings, so it's kind of a chicken-or-the-egg situation.
Commander Leon: Anything else you'd like to know?
Gaian: Why rings? Why not use normal weapons against the Animated?
Commander Leon: Believe me, I'd love to use normal weapons, but they don't work. I've got a really cool collection of halberds. Mom always told me, 'Leon, get rid of those halberds, you're never going to use them.
Commander Leon: Well, I showed her, didn't I?
Gaian: No...
Commander Leon: Come to think of it, I guess I didn't... halberds just bounce off the Animated like grapes off a baby's head. Rings are the only things that seem to have any effect.
Gaian: You need to work on your analogies, Leon.
Gaian: Where can I find new rings?
Commander Leon: The easiest way to get rings is by defeating the Animated. Just root around inside them when you knock them out; they seem to grow rings inside them, like pearls inside an oyster.
Gaian: Eew!
Commander Leon: It's not as gross as it sounds. They don't have gooey insides like you and I, so you can just reach in and grab them. You don't even have to wash your hands!
Commander Leon: Unless you get them from those Animated plungers in the sewers... maybe you should wash your hands after that...
Commander Leon: I'm not sure why they grow inside the Animated. Barry says that maybe they condense and harden their life-force into some kind of physical manifestation.
Gaian: Why can't I take them off my fingers?
Commander Leon: That's one of the things we don't know yet. All I can tell you is what we've seen so far: when you put the rings on, they seem to bond with your body. It's like you can feel them mingling with your life energy. Feels weird, doesn't it?
Commander Leon: Once you put them on, they're stuck on you until you touch one of those attunement crystals.
Commander Leon: The first time I tried to take one of my rings off, I got a little freaked out when it wouldn't budge. I was pretty close to getting out the hacksaw when one of the guards leaned against that crystal outcropping by the South Gate and discovered the Null Chamber.
Gaian: That must have been quite a surprise.
Commander Leon: I'll say! You're probably used to the Null Chamber by now, but being the first to see it must have been a real trip.
Gaian: I think I'm all caught up, thanks.
Commander Leon: We could definitely use a hand battling these awful gnomes. Think you're up for the challenge?
Gaian: At your service, Leon.
Commander Leon: The Village Greens used to be such a nice place, Gaian. Johnny Gambino himself used to come down every week for a round of Goof...
Gaian: What happened?
Commander Leon: Can you believe our own lawn ornaments have turned against us? It puts a real damper on our tourism industry, and I have a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Gaian: How can it get any worse?
Commander Leon: Just a hunch, but I think the Animated around here are getting smarter. The gnomes used to mill around mindlessly, but now they seem to be gathering up in little camps, setting up fortifications... preparing for attack, you might say.
Commander Leon: I just need someone to scout the gnome camps and see what they're up to.
Gaian: Consider it done.
Commander Leon: The gnomish encampments are just south of the goof course. I suggest you travel to the southwest, taking care not to alert the gnomes to your presence as you approach the three outposts. When you have finished your surveillance, return to me and we will see what you have come to believe.
First Lawn Gnome Encampment scouted.
Second Lawn Gnome Encampment scouted.
Final Lawn Gnome Encampment scouted.

Commander Leon: So, what's the news from the gnome camps? Are they planning something?
Gaian: I don't know, but they definitely have little fortified camps set up.
Commander Leon: I'm worried that they might be organizing for some kind of attack on Barton Town. Obviously, we can't have that.

Gnomish Battle Plans

Commander Leon: Are you up for a bit of reconnaissance work, Gaian? I'd love to gather some intelligence on the gnomes - assuming they have any intelligence to gather.
Gaian: What do you have in mind?
Commander Leon: This might be a little tricky: I've seen a particularly sprightly little gnome scooting along the path between the gnome fortress and the Goof course. I think he may be some sort of courier.
Commander Leon: I'd like you to find him, rough him up, and intercept any documents he might be carrying.
Gaian: Got it.
Commander Leon: Great, let me know if that cute little menace has any information.
Lawn Gnome Courier 1/1
Commander Leon: Hey, you're back! Do you have the battle plans, then?
Gaian: Here you go. I can't make any sense of them.
Commander Leon: Well, let me see... that could be an 'a,' if you tilt your head right. Is that... a little picture of a windmill? Or maybe it's a cactus. And that could be a little campfire, or a sword...
Commander Leon: Sword plus windmill? I guess it could mean they are going to attack Barton Town. What do you think?
Gaian: I have no idea. For all I know, it could be a grocery list.
Commander Leon: Well, I guess we'd better be on the safe side. You should take these plans up to Clara, my second in command. She's been keeping a close eye on the Village Greens, so she'll have a valuable second opinion.
Gaian: I'll have them to her in no time.
Commander Leon: She's posted by the south gate in Barton Town. Let me know what she says.
You just found the Recipe: Lawn Gnome Hat!

A Call to arms

Lt. Clara: What is this? Leon, it is? No, one of his little friends! Can I help you?
Gaian: Leon sent me. We extracted these battle plans from a lawn gnome courier.
Lt. Clara: Battle plans? Let me have a look.
Lt. Clara: Exactly what leads you to believe these are anything but random doodles?
Gaian: Actually, they might be nothing more than that. We just wanted your opinion.
Lt. Clara: I've been watching the gnomes for a while now, and I think I can shed some light on what this really means.
Lt. Clara: When the gnomes first became Animated, they just kind of bumbled around aimlessly and attacked us when we got near. When they started to multiply, we set up some patrols to check up on them.
Lt. Clara: Then they set up patrols to check up on us. In response, we sent a few guards over to knock them around, so they sent some gnomes over to knock us around.
Lt. Clara: Seeing a pattern? I think the silly little guys are just trying to be people. I even saw one pretending to go to the bathroom on a tree! Goodness knows where he learned that.
Gaian: Great. You've been so helpful. *sigh*
Lt. Clara: They must have seen us send a courier down to Leon, so they started sending couriers of their own. They're just mindlessly aping us. It's as simple as that.
Gaian: Do you think they learned to be violent from us, too?
Lt. Clara: That would make a fun little philosophical point, but no. We thought they were hilarious at first, and all we wanted to do was hug them. Then came the ankle-biting.
Gaian: But, I suppose that doesn't mean they're planning to invade.
Lt. Clara: Not today. You can tell Leon to stop worrying his big old goofy head about it.
Gaian: Thanks, I'll do that.
Commander Leon: Well? What did Clara have to say about the battle plans?
Gaian: She doesn't think they're battle plans at all.
Commander Leon: What are they, then?
Gaian: She thinks the gnomes are mimicking what they see the guards doing, and the 'plans' are meaningless. She also thinks you should stop worrying.
Commander Leon: She may be right about the plans being meaningless, but she could also be wrong. The day we stop worrying is the day Barton is overrun and I can't shake the hunch that those little monsters are plotting something. They're just too well organized.

Balance of power

Gaian: What can we do?
Commander Leon: Actually, I thought of something. If they're really planning some kind of attack, they must have mid-level officers who relay orders from their central command to their outposts.
Gaian: That seems logical
Commander Leon: We've run across some tougher gnomes who wear different uniforms and lead the outposts. If you take out these majors, it may temporarily cripple their chain of command.
Gaian: Sounds like a plan.
Commander Leon: Excellent, get out there and take out the Major Catastrophe, Major Disaster, and Major Tragedy, Gaian. That ought to throw a wrench in their jaunty little military machine.
Gaian: LOL, are those names for real?!
Major Tragedy defeated.
Major Catastrophe defeated.
Major Disaster defeated.

Lawn Gnome: We will avenge the majors!
Lawn Gnome: You will pay, Gaian.
Commander Leon: With their majors gone, whatever organization the gnomes might have had in the north has fallen to ruin. Great work, Gaian.
Gaian: That was a rough one, Leon. Between the gnomes, their flamingo sentries, and those mushroom cannons I think I'm lucky to have survived.
Commander Leon: You've been a huge help, Gaian. We've beaten the gnomes back to a safe distance from Barton and there's not much more you and I can do alone. However, I have received word that Remo is laying a plan to storm the gnome fortress. Perhaps you can help him, though I would not suggest attempting to do so without a crew of able bodied Gaians.
Gaian: I think I'll get some friends together and go see Remo.
Commander Leon: He'll need all the help he can get. But, before you head off, I'd like to offer you a ring as reward for your help.
You just found the Recipe: Lawn Gnome Beard!
Commander Leon: I have a dozen rings for you to choose from, so I'll show you categories. That'll make it easier to pick what you want.
Gaian: Ring categories: Melee rings
Gaian: Melee Damage Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Show me the categories again, please.
Commander Leon: Okay, sure!
Commander Leon: I have a dozen rings for you to choose from, so I'll show you categories. That'll make it easier to pick what you want.
Gaian: Ring categories: Ranged rings
Gaian: Ranged Damage Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Shuriken
Commander Leon: Good choice. Are you sure?
Gaian: I sure am!
Commander Leon: In that case, here ya go!
You found a new Shuriken ring!

Flamingo Hunt

Remo: Hey there, citizen.
Gaian: Hey. How's it going over here?
Remo: Well...we're safe here by the gate for some reason, but it's wild out there.
Gaian: Yeah?
Remo: Yeah. It's bad enough that the Lawn Gnomes are all over the place, but they're also organizing outposts and headquarters out there in the Village Greens.
Gaian: I know. I was helping Leon earlier doing scouting patrols around the northern encampments.
Remo: Really? That's fantastic. Y'know...we could use some able-bodied folks down here, too.
Gaian: Things are not going smoothly down here?
Remo: You've got that right. The northern half of Village Greens is a cake walk compared to the lawn gnome outposts further south.
Gaian: There's more of them down there?
Remo: Yup. And they're tougher too. We need all the help we can get.
Gaian: What can I do for you, Remo?
Remo: As much as you possibly can, I think. heh. We Regulars are stretched so thin that we can't counterattack at all. If you're willing to help, I'll get you pointed in the right direction. What do you say?
Gaian: Tell me more about those missions.
Remo: Well, the road we're on now stretches west toward Bill's Ranch. The area south of this road is a lot more organized than the areas you've seen to the north. Coordinated, if you know what I mean.
Gaian: Coordinated? How so?
Remo: Hmmm...for instance...the pink flamingos you see down there seem to act like watchdogs. They run as soon as they see you and alert everything that moves in the area. They run pickets, patrols...it's scary how organized these 'lawn ornaments' seem now.
Gaian: So what do you want me to do?
Remo: Let's start small. The gnomes seem to keep their flamingos in small flocks at different locations in the area. Tackle a few of those flocks and cut down their numbers. The fewer of those flamingos that are around, the better.
Gaian: Okay...so go bash some of those flamingos and then come back to you?
Remo: Yup. That's about it.
Gaian: That sounds pretty basic. I'll be back in just a few.
Pink Flamingo 10/10
Remo: Do those pink feathers on your shoulders indicate a little mix-up with flamingos?
Gaian: You got it! I see what you mean about the flamingos coming to help each other. That can get tricky!
Remo: Too right about that! You need to stay aware at all times while you're out there, or you'll get blindsided for sure.

Shroom heads

Remo: Ready for a tougher challenge now?
You just found the Recipe: Flamingo Plushie!
Gaian: I hope you've got something tougher than that flamingo task. Bring it on!
Remo: Okay. You want tougher? You've got it. The lawn gnomes use those darn mushroom cannons to good effect and the cannons are tough, like they're armored!
Gaian: All right...so what do you need?
Remo: Take your time...do it safely...but take out a bunch of those cannons and gather a sampling of their mushroom tops. Bring them back and we'll talk about what to do next.
Gaian: You bet! I'm on it.
Mushroom Head 2/2
Remo: So...what's that big grin on your face for then?
Gaian: Mission accomplished!
Remo: Well done! Congratulations are most definitely in order. Leon likes us to reward citizens that help out in times of crisis, so here you go!
Gaian: Great! Thanks!
You just found the Recipe: Mushroom Hat!

Behind enemy lines

Remo: Okay, I admit it. I don't need those mushroom tops at all. You keep 'em. I was testing you to see if you had the guts to handle a really tough mission. In fact, I wouldn't suggest you try this without forming a Crew to help you out. Interested?
Gaian: An excuse to form a team for a mission? I'm there!
Remo: We know the lawn gnomes came in from the south. They've built a big fence down there and the bulk of their outposts defend the gateway through that fence. The command staff for their army operate out of a giant purple mushroom down there and they really end up causing trouble when we don't smack them down occasionally.
Gaian: So you need help taking out that command post?
Remo: Yeah...that's about the sense of it. This isn't a simple mission. Are you sure you're up for it?
Gaian: Yeah. I'm ready.
Remo: Okay then. Best of luck to you. Head down the road here until you can turn left. Once you start heading south, you'll be in enemy territory. Good luck, citizen!
Gaian: The name's Gaian.
Remo: Fine, fine. I guess you've showed your stuff enough that I should start remembering your name. Mine's Remo, by the way. Now get going.
Gaian: See ya.
Lawn Gnome Adjutant: You've had it now! You've woken up the General!
Lawn Gnome Adjutant: Make way! Make way! The General's awake!
Lawn Gnome General: I've na'had me coffee and I'm grumpy as hell. Who wants to die?
Lawn Gnome General: Faugh. Tis but a scratch. I've had worse from MacTaggert's weed wacker!
Lawn Gnome General: Y'pack a mean punch, but y've not beaten me yet! Have at ya!
Remo: Ah! Now *that's* an expression I know well. You've had some luck, have you, Gaian?
Gaian: Mission completed. The General put up a struggle, but he's knocked down again, for a while anyway.
Remo: Well done! I think it will be a long time before the gnomes can threaten Barton Town again.
Gaian: Oh... I guess you don't have anymore work for me then?
Remo: Perhaps not in the Village Greens, but we need your assistance elsewhere. In fact, Leon messaged me himself with a task specifically for you.
Gaian: Really? He mentioned me?
Remo: By name. He said, 'Things are getting out of control over in the ranch and Larry still hasn't got the subway running over there. Gaian seems very competent and should be able to iron things out over there.
Gaian: Wow! So I need to help this Larry guy?
Remo: Yes, and anyone else in need of help. Start with Larry, though.
Gaian: Will do. How do I find Larry?
Remo: Just follow the path west until you get to the ranch. There's a loop in the path there, and that's where you'll find Larry. Before you go, though, I've also got a bunch of bags of rings here and I'd like to give you one before you head off.
You just found the Recipe: Lawn Gnome Figure!
Gaian: Awesome!
Remo: Go ahead and rummage through the bags and take the ring you want.
Gaian: Choose the bag you want to open. Characteristic alterations
Gaian: Characteristic Alteration Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Coyote Spirit
Remo: Sterling choice! You sure about it?
Gaian: You bet!
Remo: Okay...here ya go!
You found a new Coyote Spirit ring!

Completed for now...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Bill's Ranch

Fluff rush

Larry: Well, hello. How'd you wind up here?
Gaian: Leon sent me because he heard you needed help keeping some fluffs out of the subway. I think he must be confused though... I can't imagine anything so cute and cuddly causing trouble.
Larry: Don't let those Fluffs fool you. They might look like cute, little balls of love but they're a menace! I'm here because the miserable things keep finding their way onto the subway tracks. We keep having to shut things down because of those pests!
Gaian: Okay, why don't you stop them then?
Larry: That's what I'm here for! I'm pretty sure they're getting underground through a hole hidden by that clump of mushrooms across the road... but unless someone helps or I find some rings I can't do anything to stop them!
Larry: They're Animated, you can't hurt them at all without rings! It's just one of the weird things about them...
Gaian: Ohh, I see what you're saying. Hey, I have a few rings, maybe I can help you.
Larry: That would be fantastic! They seem to come in waves. I'll keep an eye out for more and you off 'em as fast as you can, alright? I'll let you know when I don't see anymore coming.
Gaian: Alright... I'll go stand by the mushrooms to start...
You are now signed up for the Fluff Rush!
You will be notified when it is your turn.
When notified you will have 10 seconds to get in position to stop the fluffs.
Stay in sight or Larry will assume you left and ask another for help!

Larry: Quick, Gaian, get ready! Here comes the fluff rush!
Larry needs your help with the next group of fluffs!
You have 10 seconds to get into position.
Larry: Good work Gaian, but you're not done yet.
Larry: Great! You stopped that group... but there's another coming, Gaian.
Larry: Don't stop yet Gaian, that's not all the fluffs!
You stopped the fluff rush!
Larry: Aha! You stopped those Fluffs nicely. I really appreciate it. Could you do me a favor and let Bill know that I'm headed back to Barton Town soon? He's a bit of a xenophobe so I'm sure he's ready for me to be leaving...
Gaian: Sure... where can I find Bill?
Larry: Bill should be in front of his ranch directly to the west.
You just found the Recipe: Plain Fluff Plushie!

Mine Clocken

Klaus Klokenmeyer: Gut-mornink! Erm. It iz mornink, ya? I cannot be telling ze time since I losen mine clocken.
Gaian: No, it's daytime.
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Ach! Daytime? Well zen, gut-afternoon...k! I am being lost vithout ze clocken.
Gaian: What happened to your clock?
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Ach! Mine clocken! One minute it vas tick-tick-ticking avay ze next it vas running down ze road. Ze Animated has infected mine clocken!
Gaian: Can't you just track it down and grab it?
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Nein! I tried but ze skeeters, zer are too many. Zey are fine until I grab ze clock, but zen zey all attacks me! Maybe you can fight zem off?
Gaian: Okay. I'll try to get your clock back for you.
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Guten! You vill save mine clocken? I followed mine clocken all ze vay from Aekea to ze skeeter hive to the southvest. It seems all the Animated clocks are gathering there and zey are very protective of ze hive! Get mine clocken, but be careful. Ze skeeters vill attacken vhen you take it.
You have retreived Klaus Klokenmeyer's clocken. It was on the ground!
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Mine clocken! You saved it from ze skeeters!
Gaian: I sure did. Anything else I can help with?
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Since you offered, mine clocken iz schtill Animated! I have been noticing zat ze crystal near ze traktor reverses ze animation. Would you take mine clocken to the nearby field, northvest of here, and reverse ze animation?
Gaian: I can do that!
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Excellent! Just bring mine clocken near ze crystal and it should reverse ze animation.
You just found the Recipe: Chained Pocket Watch!
The effects of Animation no longer control Klaus' clocken.

Klaus Klokenmeyer: Mine clocken is no longer ze Animated! Oh zank gutness, I can tell ze time again!

Bill's shipment

Rancher Bill: Git offa my land!
Gaian: But, Bill, Larry sent me to tell you that the subway is running again and he's headed home to Barton Town.
Rancher Bill: Well'n... mebbe I done spoke too soon. If'n yer the one what got the subway a'runnin' mebbe I gots some work fer ya.
Gaian: I was the one. What kind of work do you have for me?
Rancher Bill: Well'n... the shipment in't quite ready. Muh boy Purvis were supposed ta git th' Cows ready but I 'aven't 'eard from 'im. An' fair Rubella were supposed ta git th' chickens ready. I needs someone ta tell 'em git the shipment ready ta go. Kin ya help?
Gaian: Sure, I can help out.
Rancher Bill: Great! Any questions ya lemme know.
Gaian: I think I'm all set... I'll go let Purvis and Rubella know you're ready for the shipment.
Rancher Bill: Tell 'em ta hurry. I wanna git them shipments together right fast. An' when yer done git back over here. I got more work fer ya.
Purvis: Dur, pa's ready fer the shipment? Garsh... I been so busy rightin' them silly mooers I can't find no time to milk 'em. Buh... d'ya think ya could 'elp me out?
Gaian: Mooers? Do you mean Cows? I guess I could milk them, but where are the Cows?
Purvis: Oh, they is all over the farm... most of 'em are in the field though. If'n ya find one whats been tipped ya can't milk it. Don't worry, I'll be rightin' any I see and then ya can milk 'em.
Cow: Mooo
You kneel and attempt to milk the Cow.
Take the milk back to Purvis.

Purvis: Them mooers is milked! Buh dur... thanks!
Rubella: Howdeee sweetheart... does Bill know yer here?
Gaian: Of course, he sent me over here to find out why you don't have the shipment ready. He needs to send it out soon and wants you to get it ready as soon as possible.
Rubella: Oh no, I don't have the shipment ready! I still need one more chicken! I've been tryin' to catch 'em but every time I get near one they run away too fast for me to catch 'em. Bill's gonna be soooo angry with me.
Gaian: Maybe I can help you, Rubella.
Rubella: Really? Thanks, sweetheart! I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. I think you'll find most of the chickens all along the western end of the farm, between the barn and here. Careful when you grabem or they'll run away..
The chicken clucks away as you try to pick it up
Rubella: Howdeee sweetheart!
Gaian: Hi there, Rubella
Rubella: The last chicken! Omigod thanks, sugar! I'll send these right over to Bill.
Rancher Bill: 'owdy! I been lookin' fer ya. Purvis an' Rubella sent their shipments over, wanted to thank ya. 'Ere, take this!

Purvis likes Rubella

Purvis: Buh, 'ey there, Gaian. Think ya could help me wit' somethin' else?
Gaian: That depends. What do you need help with, Purvis?
Purvis: Well... duh... garsh. Have ya... have ya met Rubella? She's so purty. Every time I try to talk to 'er I get so ner... nerv... I can't talk good. I wrote 'er a poem... but I'm too skeered to read it to 'er. Would ya read it to 'er fer me?
Gaian: Uhm... sure. Tell me the poem and I'll go tell it to her.
Purvis: Dur... okay. Roses is red, mooers go MOO! Puvis is a fella and he likes Rubella.
Gaian: That's... a nice poem. I'll go tell it to Rubella immediately.
Purvis: Garsh, thanks a lot, Gaian! I hopen she likes it.
Rubella: Hey again, sugar. What can I do for ya?
Gaian: Rubella, Purvis wrote a poem for you. Can I read it to you?
Rubella: Purvis? A poem? Uhg! That boy is a little slow on the uptake. I've tried subtly letting him know that I'm not interested but he just doesn't seem to get the message.
Gaian: Oh, come on, he's a nice guy. Can't you give him a chance?
Rubella: Well... he is nice. Okay, read me his poem.
Gaian: Roses is red, mooers go MOO! Purvis is a fella and he likes Rubella.
Rubella: You see what I mean? Tell Purvis I'm flattered, but no thanks!
Purvis: Dur... did ya talk to Rubella? Did she like my poems?
Gaian: No. She didn't care for it, Purvis.
Purvis: Dar! Noooooooooo! Rubella!
Gaian: I'm sorry Purvis. Maybe you should give up.
Purvis: But I love 'er!
Gaian: Well... what do you want to do?
Purvis: Dur... I dunno what to do. Buh duh... wait! Pa'll know! He always knows! Go ask pa what I should do!
Rancher Bill: 'owdy! I weren't 'spectin' ya back so soon.
Gaian: Bill... Purvis needs your advice with Rubella.
Rancher Bill: What? That dang boy. I tol' 'im to stop chasin' that girl like a lost puppy. My garlic done 'opped outta the groun' and took off. I got a vampire overlookin' my ranch and no garlic to fight 'im off! I don't got n'time fer girls and poems.

Plantin' garlic

Gaian: Did you say a vampire?
Rancer Bill: Why d'ya think I grow garlic? Because I like the smell? I'm a rancher, not a farmer. The garlic is fer protection!
Gaian: So now you have no protection?
Rancer Bill: Well, I did lock the gate to the graveyard... but that won't keep 'em out forever. Dangit! I wish I could git ma garlic back in the groun'.
Gaian: Maybe I could help?
Rancer Bill: Yee-aw! Ya could at that! Jus' grab a bunch, makem stop squirmin', and stick 'em back in the groun'. They's all aroun' the ranch, especially in the woods to the north.
Garlic Sprout 3/3
You have planted the garlic.

Rancer Bill: Did ya git ma garlic back in the groun'?
Gaian: You bet I did, Bill. Planted and everything.
Rancer Bill: Finally, some good news! Seems like it's nothin' but bad news lately. While ya were out we was takin' stock of the ranch. My prize cow, Stoocie, has gone missin'!
You just found the Recipe: Garlic Plushie!

The Stooce is loose

Gaian: Missing? Where could a cow go?
Rancher Bill: I sent Purvis after 'er. 'e followed 'er 'oof prints all the way down to the gate to the 'ouse and got skeered. I need ya to take this 'ere key, go there the gate, an' find muh Stoocie!
Gaian: You mean the vampire's house? Sounds like fun. Count me in!
Rancher Bill: Er... yeah! A 'ootin 'ollerin good time! Well, 'ere's the key. Ya can find the gate to the south. There's no reason ta go in the 'ouse, though. this seems more like the work of misch... mischiev... rascally underlings.
Look out below!
Stoocie: Moo!
Stoocie will now follow you back to Rancher Bill.
Rancher Bill: 'old it right there! This 'ere is private prop'rty...
Rancher Bill: ...wait it's you! Stoocie!!! Ya saved 'er!
Gaian: Yeah! She was so scared... but she's a good little cow and followed me home.
Rancher Bill: Stoocie's a good cow. She's a moo-moo. A moo-moo-goo-goo. Yes she is.
Gaian: A moo-moo-goo-goo-boo-boo?
Rancher Bill: A moo-moo-goo-goo-boo-boo-doo-doo.
Gaian: Do you need a private moment with your cow? I'll leave you two alone.
Rancher Bill: Oh! Before ya go, Rubella told me to tell ya that she's lookin' fer ya.
Gaian: Uhm... okay. Thanks Bill.
Rancher Bill: Stoocie, why don't ya 'ead out to pasture?
Stoocie: Moo!
You just found the Recipe: Clutch Rollerblades!

Machine Repair

Rancher Bill: Gaian, my friend, you're a lifesaver. We're finally starting to get on top of things 'ere on the ranch and it's all thanks to yer 'elp! If'n yer interested, I gots something else could use yer touch.
Gaian: Sure, what do you need help with?
Rancher Bill: I knew I could count on Gaian! Anyway, now that ya got my garlic back in the groun' we can see about clearin' up the mess they made. Rubella an' Purvis seem to 'ave the cows and chickens purty well in 'and, but I'm none to 'opeful when it comes to 'em fixin' the tractor and the windmills. Seems ta me that'll need someone with figurin' skills like yerself to remedy. We got two windmills, one west an' one northeast, and the tractor to the east. Fix'em up an' lemme know when yer done.
You have repaired the first windmill.
You have repaired the tractor
You have repaired the second windmill.

Rancher Bill: I can see them windmills a'turnin' and a plume of smoke comin' from the tractor. Good work, Gaian.
Gaian: Would you expect any less from me?
Rancher Bill: No, I've come to expect the utmost from ya. We ne'er woulda got the ranch back up and runnin' without ya. I can't thank ya enough. Listen, 'fore ya 'ead out I'd like to give ya a ring as muh thanks fer 'elpin'.
Rancher Bill: Go ahead and rummage through these sacks and take the machineEnd you want.
Gaian: Choose the sack you want to open. Defenses
Gaian: Defense Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Teflon Spray
Rancher Bill: Dang fine decision! You reckon that's the one ya want?
Gaian: Absolutely!
Rancher Bill: All righty then. Here's the one y'picked.
You found a new Teflon Spray ring!

Alarmskeeter's, Air Fluffs, and Garlics

Klaus Klokenmeyer: Ze skeeters, zey must pay for ze attacks zey are makings! You must make zem pay!
Gaian: Definitely! The pests just won't leave well enough alone. I'll take them out.
Klaus Klokenmeyer: Ach! I vouldn't dream of vasting the time of someone as schtrong as you.
Larry: Hello again, Gaian.
Gaian: Hey Larry, I thought you were going back to Barton Town. What gives?
Larry: What gives is that these freaking fluffs keep coming!
Gaian: That sucks.
Larry: Yeah, but I have a new plan! I'm gonna wipe them out before they get a chance to rush past me. Hey! Maybe you can help?
Gaian: Sure, Larry, I'd be glad to help.
Larry: Seems to me you're wasting your time with my petty problems. I'm sure your talents would be better put to use elsewhere, Gaian.
Purvis: Gawrsh, hey there Gaian. Guda see ya agin!
Gaian: Hey Purvis, how's it going?
Purvis: Urg, not so good. Y'see Rubella was complainin' 'bout the smell of them Garlics, so I tole 'er I'd get rid of 'em, but I can't!
Gaian: Why not? Just bang them over the head with a few rings and they'll drop easy enough.
Purvis: Buh duh... I don't got no rings. Not much a fighter anyway. I jus' wish someone'd take out the buh-durn Garlic so Rubella'd be 'appy.
Gaian: That's a noble cause. I'll take care of your Garlic problem, Purvis.
Purvis: Pa always tole me, 'Purvis don't be wastin' the time of those more importan' 'an ya.' Sorry, but I thinks yer too importan' fer this task.

Golashes, Purse, and OMFG

Albert: Hey, hey, hey!
Gaian: Did Mark tell you I was coming?
Albert: Sure did, Gaian. I thought you'd never make it.
Gaian: Yeesh, I got here as fast as I could!
Albert: It's alright. What matters is that you're here now and ready to help, right?
Gaian: You betcha.
Albert: Right, I have some fairly simple tasks. Some of the bigger baddies in Dead Man's Pass, the Laceback Galoshes, the Purse, and the OMFG, have been making trouble. I need them taken out.
Gaian: You can count on me, Albert.
Albert: Appreciate it.
Look out below!
OMG, what was that sound?!
Laceback Galoshes 1/1
Purse 1/1
OMFG 1/1

Albert: Hey, hey, hey! How goes it in Dead Man's Pass? Have you dealt with the big baddies?
Gaian: The Laceback Galoshes is no more... or is it are no more?
Albert: Good work. I'll let Mark know how helpful you were. Did you get any of the other baddies?
Gaian: The Purse won't be causing anymore trouble.
Albert: Great, I'll let Mark know you took care of the Purse. Did you happen to take care of anything else?
Gaian: I smashed that OMFG. It won't be acting up again.
Albert: Nice work, Gaian. Very nice work. I'll tell Mark about the OMFG.
You just found the Recipe: Barton Regular Gauntlets!

Completed for now...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Deadman's Pass

Denial of Service

Ian: Welcome to Barton Boutique, Gaian! Sure is good to be back.
Gaian: Back? Were you gone?
Ian: Yeah, I was out for quite a while. Sorry, I figured you'd heard - it was all over the news. Vampires, shootings, family drama... lots of bad memories. I guess you could read about it in the news archives if you really want to know.
Gaian: Maybe I'll do that. See you later, Ian.
Ian: Always a pleasure, Gaian.
Ian: Hi again. How's it going?
Gaian: Just fine, thanks. And you?
Ian: To be honest, I'm still a little worried about what's going on at that mansion. I need to find someone to deal with the Animated up there.
Gaian: Maybe I can help.
Ian: That would be great. That place used to be the home of a particularly nasty figure from my past, and I've heard rumors that something ugly has taken up roost there.
Ian: Some kind of giant, flying Animated creature has been terrorizing the area, and I'd prefer to see it destroyed. I don't want the owner of the mansion using that thing as his guard dog.
Gaian: Who lives in the mansion?
Ian: I don't know. Maybe nobody, anymore. But the guy who used to live there was bad, bad news. A vampire, I don't want him using the Animated to his advantage.
Gaian: I'll take care of it.
Ian: Really? That would certainly give me some peace of mind. Anything to keep the owner of that mansion from gaining any power. Let me know when you've taken care of it.
Look out below!
OMG, what was that sound?!

An alarm sounds as Gaian approaches the gate.
A booming voice screams, 'ATTACK!'
OMGWTF: Who dares approach this gate? Your insolence shall be punished!
OMGWTF 1/1
Ian: What's the word, Gaian? Taken care of that beast on the hill yet?
Gaian: It's done.
Ian: That's a huge relief. Anything to keep that area free of exploitable resources is a step in the right direction.
Gaian: That thing was a resource?
Ian: I don't know if you're familiar with vampires, but they've got a real knack for recruiting minions. If they found a way to take control of the Animated, we'd be in a hell of a lot more trouble than we are now.
Gaian: I'm glad I could help.
Ian: Me too. In fact, Rufus and I dug into our savings a little and came up with this reward. You definitely earned it.
Gaian: Thanks!
You just found the Recipe: Ian's Hat!

Completed for now...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Zen Gardens

Finding Katsumi

Rubella: Howdeee sweetheart! Say, did Bill mention I was lookin' for you? I really could use another favor, if'n you have time.
Gaian: Of course I'll help you, Rubella.
Rubella: Thanks again, sugar. I'd be lost without you. Anyway, with all the Animated running wild around here, and the men-folk running even wilder with panic, I haven't had a chance to check up on Katsumi! We write each all the time but I haven't heard hide nor hair from her since the Animated started showin' up. I sure am worried 'bout her. Please go track her down in Zen Gardens to the north... she's usually in the shrine.
Gaian: I'll go check up on Katsumi immediately.
Arnold: Greetings, citizen. Keep your head up out here. This area is dangerous.
Gaian: Dangerous? How so?
Arnold: The Animated, of course! They're all over out here. For some reason, they don't seem to approach the Gate very closely, but if you stick your neck out there, one of them is bound to try to take it off for you.
Gaian: Hmmm...sounds challenging. Thanks for the warning.
Arnold: No problem. Good luck to you!
Arnold: Hey wait! Would you do me a quick favor?
Gaian: Sure! What do you need?
Arnold: There's a little girl in a shrine to the south of the Gardens. We haven't heard anything from her since all this madness began. Could you check up on her, and if she needs help, would you keep her safe?
Gaian: You bet. I'm on it!
Arnold: Thanks!
Katsumi: Hello, stranger. My name is Katsumi.
Gaian: Hi! I'm glad to see you. A guard over by Barton Town asked me to check in on you and see if you're all right.
Katsumi: Oh? That must be Arnold. He's been a friend of my uncle's for years. Please thank him for his concern, but I'm fine right now.
Gaian: Hello there. Rubella asked me to swing by and check up on you. Is everything okay here?
Katsumi: Rubella? That was sweet of her! Please give her my best when you see her next!
Katsumi: You are welcome to hide here in the Meditation Shrine. It seems to be a safe haven against the Animated.
Gaian: It is? You mean the Animated don't come in here?
Katsumi: That's right. I don't know if it's because the Shrine protects us somehow, or if they simply can't see us when we're in here.
Gaian: Really? What's so special about this shrine?
Katsumi: I have no idea. It's definitely not just because we're inside a structure. People have been attacked in their homes all over Gaia.
Gaian: Do you have any clues at all?
Katsumi: Well...maybe. Uncle brought me the crystal that you see here in the Shrine. He said it was from an asteroid crater from elsewhere in the world.
Gaian: Is it becoming Animated?
Katsumi: No, no...but it's pulsing with some kind of inner light. And the *really* strange part is that it started glowing right around the same day that the Animated began to appear around here.
Gaian: Do you think the Animated are staying away from the shrine because of that crystal?
Katsumi: Yes. I do. It's keeping me safe...but the Animated are everywhere out there, and now I'm trapped here!
Gaian: Do you need help against the Animated?
Katsumi: Yes! Oh very much, yes. I had a Kokeshi Doll here in the shrine. It was beautiful and fragile. But then it Animated! It took off like a rabbit...probably because of that crystal...but after that, more of them began to appear out there.
Gaian: You think YOUR doll had something to do with all those Kokeshi out there?
Katsumi: I'm very much afraid that ALL of those dolls somehow came from MY doll. I need to know! Could you go out there and try to find my doll?
Gaian: Of course! But how would I know if it's your doll or not?
Katsumi: That doll was a present from my Father before he disappeared. He wrote my name on the bottom before he gave it to me. I saw that it ran off toward the southeast somewhere. You should try that direction first.
Gaian: Okay, Katsumi. Challenging, but I'll go look for your doll and tell you what I find!
Katsumi: Good luck to you, traveller. Be careful.
Gaian: The name's Gaian! And let the Animated be the careful ones!
Arnold: Hey, did you happen to find that girl in the shrine?
Gaian: I sure did.
Arnold: Was she okay?
Gaian: She is now.
Arnold: Good, good. Thanks, citizen.
Gaian: No problem.
Rubella: Hey sugar, did you get a chance to check up on Katsumi yet?
Gaian: I sure did. She seems to be doing just fine.
Rubella: That's a mighty relief! Did her uncle, Kin, come protect her? Must be nice havin' a ninja lookin' after her.
Gaian: No, actually there seems to be something about the shrine that just repells the Animated altogether. She's as safe as can be as long as she stays in the shrine.
Rubella: Imagine that! Here I am frettin' and fussin' over the girl and she's safe as safe can be. I shoulda guessed, that Katsumi is too resourceful to let herself fall into trouble. Well, thanks fer checkin' up on her just the same.

Kat's Kokeshi doll

Kat's Kokeshi Doll: You dare destroy MY children?!? The march of the Dolls cannot be slowed! Die!!!
Kat's Kokeshi Doll: Eat fan edge, Naturals!
Kat's Kokeshi Doll: I will not return to the swirling darkness alone! Die!!!
You get nothing from the chest but empty air.
Katsumi: Have you found my doll yet?
Gaian: I know that I found it...but I can't guarantee that I destroyed it. Not permanently anyway. These things just appear out of thin air!
Katsumi: I wondered how so many could come from just my one little doll. What did you see?
Gaian: I'm not sure. The dolls seem to be marching with great purpose, but just in a big circle, and they don't seem to be...*doing*...anything!
Katsumi: Hmmm...so even though they look smart, perhaps they're just playing some pattern over and over again?
Gaian: That's a good way to describe it!
Katsumi: Okay. That makes me feel better. Like perhaps they're less likely to suddenly change their minds about the shard and come charging in here.
Gaian: I think you're okay on that front, Katsumi. At least for now.
Katsumi: Thank you ever so much, Gaian. I am grateful to you for your help. Please accept this gift for your troubles.
You just found the Recipe: Kokeshi Doll!

Find Uncle Kin

Katsumi: There is one other thing I could ask you to help me with, if it's not too much trouble.
Gaian: Oh? What would that be?
Katsumi: Now that I feel much safer, I would like for my Uncle to know that I am safer also. He is older and he worries about me.
Gaian: I would be glad to help you further, Katsumi. Where is your Uncle?
Katsumi: My Uncle can be hard to find.
Gaian: Why? Was he driven out of his home by the Animated?
Katsumi: Well...no. He belongs to a secretive organization. He is a powerful man.
Gaian: Secretive, eh? So why is it that YOU know?
Katsumi: My family has been part of that organization for many generations. My Uncle's name is Kin. He is a ninja.
Gaian: Ninjas? Tell me more!
Katsumi: The ninja enclave lies in the forests west of the Zen Gardens. My Uncle is high in their order, but how high he does not tell even me. Since my father...passed, Uncle has been the only family that I have.
Gaian: So I have to go into the forest and find your Uncle?
Katsumi: No. Do not go into the forest. If the ninjas found you there without an invitation... well... just do not go there. Instead, you must take this glass rod and ring the iron bell you'll find along the forest's edge to the north.
Gaian: A glass rod? And an iron bell? That doesn't sound like it's going to work.
Katsumi: You must trust what you do not understand if you are to converse with the ninja.
Gaian: Oooooo...deep. Okay. I'll go ring the iron bell with the glass rod. And your Uncle will somehow just...know...that I did it?
Katsumi: Yes. Exactly. Good luck, Gaian.
Gaian: Riiiiight. Okay then. See ya after I ring the bell.
Kin: Kat...I don't have time for...
Kin: You...are NOT Katsumi. How did you come by that glass rod?
Gaian: Whoa! Katsumi sent me here! She asked me to find her Uncle Kin and tell him that she's all right!
Kin: You know Katsumi then?
Gaian: Yes! Little girl. Likes dolls. Her father gave her one that came alive just recently and I helped protect her against the hordes of other dolls it created!
Kin: You helped protect her against the Animated?
Gaian: Yes! She's safe! Honest!
Kin: That's good then. What is your name? I will remember those that have helped my family.
Gaian: I'm Gaian. It's not entirely necessary that you...err...remember me.
Kin: Nonsense. I now give you a choice. Choose carefully. I have two needs. One is that my niece may still need protection. The other is my clan is sorely pressed within the forest and we have need of those that do not fear danger to assist us. Which will you pursue: loyalty or adventure?
Gaian: I'll go back and help Katsumi
Kin: Good. I am glad that you prize loyalty over irrational adventure. Katsumi needs your help. Ask her what she needs. If she releases you from duty to her, then return to me and I will reward you for your loyalty. Be wary, Gaian. The world is not what it was.
Gaian: You've got that right. Thank you. I will return to Katsumi.
Katsumi: Have you found my Uncle yet?
Gaian: I certainly did. Your Uncle is happy to know you are safe.
Katsumi: Oh good! Since you're alone, I'm guessing that Uncle needed to stay at the enclave. That's okay...but why are you here now?
Gaian: I told your Uncle I would come back and see if you needed any other help.
Katsumi: Thank you, Gaian. I am indebted to you, but let me give you this small gift as a token of my appreciation.
Katsumi: You have done much for me already, Gaian. I am safer now and my loved ones know that I am well. There is really only one other thing that I would like to do and then I would be content.
You just found the Recipe: Ninja Boots!

The Wish Tree

Gaian: Well...that's what I'm here for, Katsumi. How can I help you?
Katsumi: This time it's not about helping me. This time, I would like to help everyone else.
Gaian: How will we do that?
Katsumi: I would like you to take this simple wish that I've put on this paper and take it north to The Wish Tree. Just tie the wish to a branch and then you can tell my Uncle that I am happy and safe.
Gaian: A wish?
Katsumi: Yes. Perhaps it's just a girlish fancy, but that tree has held my wishes for my entire life. Since everything else in the world is topsy-turvy now, who's to say that wishes won't be granted. It's just a simple wish for everyone I know and love to stay safe even amidst all the chaos.
Gaian: That's...nice, Katsumi. I'd be glad to help you with your wish. I'll find this Wish Tree you mention and tie your note in its branches.
The Wish Tree: Hi!
Gaian: Ummm...hi?
The Wish Tree: Hi! {Hello!} =Yo!= [yeah, yeah] (Greetings!)
Gaian: You...errr...said that already.
The Wish Tree: Oh. Hehehe.=ha!= {*giggle*} Sorry (Our apologies, really). We're new to this...talking =speaking= [BABBLING] (prevaricating)...thing.
Gaian: New to talking? We?
The Wish Tree: We! [US!] (The multitude!) The notes on the tree! We're alive! =All of us!= {Each and every!}
Gaian: Wait. You mean you're not the tree?
The Wish Tree: No, silly! [moron] (how do YOU know it's a moron?) We are the notes ON the tree. =Y'know...the big green thing with leaves?= {The pretty papers tied with string!} [ninny]
Gaian: So each of you individually is Animated?
The Wish Tree: YES =yeah= Yup! (That's right, dear!) Good guess!
Gaian: Wow. Okay! But...how come you can talk and the other Animated don't speak?
The Wish Tree: We don't know. [Yes...we do!] Okay, we're not SURE. =Yeah...but we definitely have an idea.= Well, of COURSE we have an idea...but...
Gaian: Wait, wait, wait. I didn't mean to start an argument. But you do have a *guess*?
The Wish Tree: From the stories {we *like* stories} that other people (like yourself) =yes...like yourself= have told us =some of the stories sure were boring...but= (hush!) [You hush!] we think it's because (We *think*!) {Yay!} we had writing on us before we =changed= (Came ALIVE!) {Woke up!} became Animated.
Gaian: So...if a book became Animated it might be able to talk also?
The Wish Tree: Sure! =maybe= [Definitely NOT] (What? Why not?) We seem to disagree. (Books can't meld thoughts) [Don't tell it that we can do that!] {But they can't!} =How do you know, you ditz...?= SHUTUP!
Gaian: Okay...so you're guessing a lot. Still, you're the only Animated that I've met that wasn't trying to kill me.
The Wish Tree: Kill you? [hahaHAhaha] {tee-hee} We're tied to these branches! =Couldn't hurt you if we tried.= (We might try though, so be careful.) [UNTIE US!] (hush!)
Gaian: Okaaaay...since you can't attack me, I'm just going to tie this little wish note to one of these branches.
The Wish Tree: Another note! =Always room for one mo-ore...= [More brains for US!] {tieitontieitontieiton!} =yesssssss...=
Gaian: Then I'll just step in here...and...tie the knot...done.
The Wish Tree: Thank you! =We feel it!= {A little girl wrote on it!} [HUNGRY] -|wha...?where?who?|- {It's waking!} [EAT IT NOW] (No! We need it! More mind for us!) -|I LIVE!|- =WE live, newb.=
Gaian: That's really quite...disturbing. But I've done what Katsumi asked me to do, so I'll just head back to her now.
The Wish Tree: Wait! (Don't go!) [STAY] We can tell you much. =We have more than enough thoughts...= {We love hearing your wishes.}
Gaian: Okay, I'll stay and chat with you for a bit.
The Wish Tree: Good! [NO...it's not!] =It is! more info for our brains!= What are your questions?
Gaian: Have you met any other Animated?
The Wish Tree: We're tied to this tree. =Bound like Prometheus= [VULNERABLE! DOOMED!] {We can't move *sob*} We don't meet anyone unless they come to us first. =And they *never* come.= [All alone with nothing but US.] {And the little notes THEY leave behind for us} (Yes, little one, them too!)
Gaian: Wow. I didn't think of that.
Gaian: Do you know how you became Animated?
The Wish Tree: We felt the wind [the LIFE] (*our* lives) {it's everywhere!} move through us all and then {we saw!} (we heard!) =we tasted!= we awoke =Alive, but bound= [HUNGRY] and we knew that we were US and not just paper any longer. [ALIVE]{ALIVE!}=ALIVE!=(ALIVE!)
Gaian: Yes...but do you know WHY you are alive?
The Wish Tree: An odd question (at least ill-conceived). Do YOU know why you're alive? =Maybe to ask silly questions?= [To EAT!!] {So we have someone to talk to so we know we exist?}
Gaian: Okay. Fair point. You got me there.
Gaian: How many of you are there?
The Wish Tree: We are like the leaves. {many!} [ALL OF US!] As people bring more wishes, we are more. {scores!} =hordes!!= [LEGION!!!]
Gaian: But all the notes that Animates are still here in the tree? What would happen if I took some of you to a place with more paper?
The Wish Tree: More...paper? [we could MULTIPLY!] =oh please oh please oh please...= [Take US!] (We could be ALL!)
Gaian: I see. Well...maybe later then. It might be scary to have a whole library talking to me all at the same time.
Katsumi: Did you get my note tied onto The Wish Tree, Gaian?
Gaian: That was the oddest...tree...I've ever seen, but yes, your wish is in its branches now.
Katsumi: You're a good friend, Gaian! I don't know many that would have stopped to help among all the troubles going on in the world. Thank you. My Uncle will surely like to speak further with you. Please give him my best.
You just found the Recipe: Knotted Rope!

The Drums! The Drums!

Trip: Halt!
Trip: Stand and be recognized!
Burton: Thanks for noticing me.
Trip: I'm sorry, friend. I can't let you pass this blockade right now.
Gaian: Why is that? How else can I get to Durem?
Trip: Well, to be honest, you can't right now. Durem is completely blocked off. There are some really bad things happening along the road past the Reclamation Facility and a number of people that have gone that direction haven't been seen since.
Gaian: They disappeared?
Trip: Well...we're pretty sure they were *taken* by the Animated. For what...we don't know. But until the road can be cleared, we're closing it to any other travelers.
Gaian: That makes sense. But, wow...
Trip: Yes, wow. We've got troubles here near Barton Town...but from what I've been told, it's nothing like the problems around Durem and Aekea.
Gaian: You seem to know a lot for someone posted so far from Town.
Trip: Leon keeps us up to speed...and a lot of people have been by here in the last couple of days. Since there's not a lot to do except listen to those dang walKing drums, we ask a lot of questions. Did you want to know about anything else?
Gaian: What can you tell me about the Animated?
Trip: Not a lot, frankly. We've seen a bunch of things coming to life, but oddly...it doesn't seem to be truly random. We see clusters of a certain Kind of thing coming to life, and once they are Animated, they seem to somehow be able to breed more of themselves.
Gaian: So you mean that not everything is coming to life?
Trip: Yeah...it's weird, but it's almost as if whatever is causing this is sort of random, but once it finds a type of thing to Animate, it tends to eddy there, creating more and more of that same Animated creature.
Gaian: That's really strange. Is there some way I can help you out?
Trip: Those Drums are driving us crazy around here. If you could thin a few of those out, we'd really appreciate it. We'd have to leave our post to do anything about them...and Leon would have our sTripes if we did that.
Gaian: Well...we need all the guards we can get right now. Sure! I can help you out.
Trip: Great! If you could take out ten or so of those dratted Drums, we'd be forever in your debt. Thanks!
Gaian: You bet. I'll come back after I'm done.
Taiko Drum 10/10
Trip: Fantastic! My name is Trip, by the way. What's your name, friend? I want to mention you to Leon when he comes through.
Gaian: I'm Gaian. It was no problem at all.
Trip: I'm in your debt...I can take these ear plugs out finally!

Kin's Trials

Kin: Greetings once again, Gaian. We shall begin with a series of tasks. Each of these simple tasks is vital to a much larger task at hand, a task that may be vital to our understanding of what is occurring here in the Gardens.
Gaian: With respect, why don't you just send ninjas to do these tasks?
Kin: My ninjas are busy within the woods, at the moment. We are hard-pressed and we have no resources to spare. We are forced to rely on our friends to accomplish other goals, including friends like yourself.
Gaian: Thanks. I'm glad to be considered a friend to your clan. What can I do for you?
Kin: Something is...odd...about the way the Animated in this area are acting. There's a strangeness about the way they are grouping and moving around, almost as if something is about to happen.
Gaian: What sort of thing?
Kin: Well...I don't know. That's what we need to find out. You've already encountered the Kokeshi when you helped Katsumi. Now I'd like you to take on the Taiko Drums that seem to have infested the nearby grassland areas north of the bridges. Find out what you can about them and come back to tell me more after you have struggled against them for a time.
Taiko Drum 10/10
Kin: Well done, Gaian. From what you tell me, the Drums are just wandering about, almost aimlessly, which is quite different than the Kokeshi that you spoke about near the Shrine.
Gaian: Like night and day, actually. The Kokeshi almost seemed to be an automated military, marching in circles. On the other hand, the Taiko were more like free-ranging carnivores, attacKing targets of opportunity as they come across them.
Kin: A good report. Please accept this small reward for the scouting you are doing for us.
You just found the Recipe: Ninja Pants!
Kin: Hmmm...well...there is a third force in this area. The last few nights, the lanterns themselves seem to be...well...they seem almost haunted.
Gaian: There are ghosts haunting the lantern racks?
Kin: No, not really. It's another of those strange Animated behaviors. It's like the lanterns come to life, but not really. The ghost lanterns come out of nowhere. The original lanterns still hang on their racks, but the ghost versions keep appearing each night, in greater and greater numbers.
Gaian: So you need me to see if the lanterns are different than the drums and dolls?
Kin: That's it exactly. Try to find out what you can about them. There must be some sort of pattern to all this madness. It would help us all to figure out what's going on.
Ghost Lantern 10/10
Kin: So...the dolls march, the drums wander, and the lanterns seem to be setting up a haunting of some sort around the lantern racks. That doesn't add up to much.
Gaian: The only thing that's common is that they seem to appear out of nowhere, as if they're being teleported in from another dimension or something.
Kin: Another dimension...?
Gaian: Errr...nevermind. I watch a lot of TV...
Kin: Right. I see. Well...I suppose that's about as far out of bounds as magic would be, and neither of those explanations seems as outlandish as it should right now.
Gaian: Yikes. You're seriously considering magic?
Kin: I have seen many mystical things in my life. At this point, I would not rule out any possible explanation. Thank you for scouting for my clan, the Chyaku Norisu. Let me reward you for your efforts.
You just found the Recipe: Ninja Gi!
Kin: What you have found so far is mysterious to you and I, but others may be able to make more sense of it. Would you continue to assist me by passing messages to some of my friends that may know more?
Gaian: Yes, of course! Who do you need me to go see?
Kin: To the north of the Gardens lies Bass'ken Lake. My old friend Logan has a fishing shack there. Logan and I used to be traveling companions a long time ago and he's surprisingly worldly. If you take what we know and compare it with his own experiences, we might find something that makes more sense.
Gaian: So head up to Bass'ken Lake and find Old Man Logan. Got it. I'll come back and let you know what I find out.
Kin: Logan may want you to check a few things out. I vouch for him personally. You can trust him...most of the time.
Gaian: heh. Most of the time, eh? That's a glowing recommendation.
Kin: Logan can be quite...ill-tempered at times, but he's at his best with a challenge, so he should be sharp right now. Good luck to you, Gaian.
Gaian: Thanks...I guess. See you later.
Logan: Hey there, bub. How are ya? Care to take in some fishing?
Gaian: Actually, a friend of yours sent me. Do you know Kin?
Logan: Tall intimidating type, way too serious, with a really strange mask?
Gaian: Yup. That describes him pretty well. He says he knows you.
Logan: Yeah. He and I travelled together a bit after I left...well...after I left a previous engagement.
Gaian: 'Previous engagement'? Travelled together? I smell stories!
Logan: Yeah...well, mebbee. But my past is valuable to me and you've got to earn the right to hear about it. What does Kin want?
Gaian: We've been learning as much as we can about the Animated, and he asked me to share what we know.
Logan: WE? You're a ninja then?
Gaian: Well...no. Not yet anyway.
Logan: I thought not. Okay...tell me what ya know and maybe I'll share a bit of my past with ya.
Gaian: Well, in a nutshell, different groups of Animated don't seem to share purposes with each other, but they do seem to evolve over time into bigger, stronger versions of themselves.
Logan: How the heck do they do that?
Gaian: The ninjas say it has to do with some sort of energy fluctuations that waver back and forth across the countryside, sometimes eddying together and combining to create something larger and tougher than normal.
Logan: Ha! In other words, Kin and his crew don't know either. They're just guessing and covering it with their usual mystic mumbo-jumbo.
Gaian: It could be...but they warned me about the energy buildups in time for me to intercept some of them from forming and taKing over the groups already in the Zen Gardens.
Logan: Heh. I still say it could be coincidence, but I guess that adds up to what I see here at the Lake, too. The wolves, saws, and fluffs don't seem to care too much about each other...and once in a while, something major shows up and romps the field for a bit before it disappears. Hmmmm...
Gaian: Still, it doesn't explain much, does it? Things appear alive for no particular reason and just start attacKing things? It's really strange...
Logan: You might have something there...it reminds me of the time that the Gambino mansion got overrun with zombies. That was a hell of a mess...and it all started because of...damn.
Gaian: Damn?
Logan: Yeah. Damn. If that situation connects with what's going on now, then Gambino's got to be mixed up in this thing somehow. And I'm sick to death of cleaning up his messes.
Gaian: Gambino? *Johnny* Gambino? The head of G-Corp?
Logan: That's the one, bub. Listen, I've got my hands full here at the Lake and I've got responsibilities I can't just abandon. But maybe you could do me a favor?
Gaian: Sure. What do you need?
Logan: I need to get in touch with my old friends that know Johnny really well so we can figure out what he's up to. Edmund is cut off over in Durem, with no way to get here right now, but Agatha might know how to reach him. Do you know Agatha?
Gaian: She runs the jewelry shop in Barton Town, right?
Logan: That's our girl! Go tell her what you just told me. She'll know whether this means anything and she'll get the word to Edmund...somehow.
Gaian: So just go talk to Agatha at the Barton Jeweler's?
Logan: That's the stuff! Good luck, kid!
Gaian: Thanks. And the name's Gaian.
Logan: hehehe. Sure it is, kid. Now get scootin'!
Agatha: Hello there, hon. How can I help you?
Gaian: Old Man Logan sent me to you, Agatha.
Agatha: Logan? Well bless his heart. What does that old scrapper want with me?
Gaian: Mostly, he wants to share information. We've been finding quite a lot out about the Animated and their rings and we wanted to pass it on.
Agatha: Oh, *I* see. Logan doesn't want to tell ME that information. He just can't get to Edmund and wants me to run and fetch for him, doesn't he?
Gaian: Ummm...errr, is there maybe a little history between you two?
Agatha: History. Yes, I suppose that's how you might describe Logan, Edmund, Johnny and I, but I prefer to think of us as still vibrant and alive!
Gaian: No! That's not what I meant...
Agatha: I know, dearie. It's just been a long day and I'm having a bit of fun with you. What is it that Logan wants to tell me?
Gaian: He thinks that the Animated might have some root cause that has something to do with Johnny Gambino.
Agatha: What? Why?!?
Gaian: Logan says that the way the Animated seem to pop out of nowhere, immediately starting to attack things around them, it reminds him a lot of when the zombies overran the Gambino mansion.
Agatha: That's...very interesting. But, as I recall, the zombie outbreak had very specific origins in the G-Virus experiments that were occurring back then. The outbreak spread through direct contact between a zombie and another dead thing. I don't see how that applies here since none of the Animated were ever really 'dead' since they'd never been 'alive' previously. Besides, we're not seeing Animated touch anything to bring it to life...they just seem to occur spontaneously!
Gaian: I guess Logan was just guessing about it all.
Agatha: hehehe. More than likely. Still, he might be right. Just because I can't see the connection, doesn't mean that there isn't one. Edmund's mind for analysis would be better suited to this issue. I'll contact him and let him know. But to me, this has about as much validity as the 'return of the Zurg' theories I keep hearing.
Gaian: I guess we need more information before we can really decide.
Agatha: Well, then what we need to do is contact an organization that CAN gather that info for us. How would you feel about heading across the Gardens to try contacting the Chyaku Norisu ninja clan?
Gaian: You must be kidding! I started this whole journey by talKing to those ninjas.
Agatha: Really?!? *You* spoke to a ninja? Who?
Gaian: His name is Kin.
Agatha: Their clan's second-in-command? That's amazing! Well, go back to him and tell him about Logan's ring theory. The ninja are masters of piecing together bits of information into pictures that others can't see.
Gaian: Is there anything else I should tell him?
Agatha: Yes. We're getting reports of things roaming the areas north of the Gardens that are definitely *not* Animated. But they're also not natural.
Gaian: What sorts of things?
Agatha: The reports are very hard to believe, but so is everything else that's happening now. I've heard rumors of a return of the Zurg, sea creatures roaming around on land, and some even crazier things. It's hard to tell what's truth and what's being exaggerated due to panic.
Gaian: The Animated show up, and then at the same time, other enemies start appearing at the same time? This is sounding less and less like a coincidence...
Agatha: Perhaps. It could also be something more fundamental, like an alteration in the physics of the universe for some reason, or even something as simple as that coincidence you mentioned.
Gaian: Hmmm...
Agatha: Yes, it does make you think, doesn't it? Well, do be a dear and go tell Kin what we've spoken about. I'll try to somehow get word of all this to Edmund and perhaps we will make sense of it soon.
Gaian: All right. I'll head back to Kin then and see what he says about getting more info for you.
Agatha: Thanks, hun. Good luck to you!
Kin: What did Logan have to say?
Gaian: I spoke to him...and Agatha...
Kin: Agatha, too? You've been traveling a lot then. What did you find?
Gaian: Well...Logan thinks the rings we're using come from within the Animated, and Agatha says there are more threats out there than just the Animated.
Kin: This may not be a situation we can easily resolve then. If this is as widespread as it sounds, then this may be a long-term change to our world. If that is true, then we may need to adopt a siege mentality toward this whole disaster, digging in and fighting back against the gathering hordes.
Gaian: Cheery outlook you have there, Kin.
Kin: ...
Gaian: See? Case in point. So what do we do next?
Kin: WE don't do anything. YOU do. But your journey to this point should be rewarded. Here. Take these small tokens of my esteem.
You just found the Recipe: Ninja Hood!

The Battle of Three Bridges

Kin No Mask-VQS: First, you have earned the reward of seeing to whom you are speaKing. I unmask myself in honor of your accomplishments for my clan.
Gaian: Oh, wow. Thank you, Master Kin!
Kin No Mask-VQS: Now we progress to the next step. For this, you must understand that the ninja are grounded not only in the arts martial, but also in the ways of mysticism.
Gaian: Yes?
Kin No Mask-VQS: We...see things that other people overlook or don't see at all. What we see now are 'ripples', for lack of a better word.
Gaian: Ripples? Ripples in what?
Kin No Mask-VQS: Ripples in reality. Not just ripples, but eddies as well.
Gaian: You mean like in a river?
Kin No Mask-VQS: Yes, exactly. It's as if the entire countryside is awash in a sea of energy, and where that energy eddies together, the Animated appear.
Gaian: So you can tell where the Animated are going to appear ahead of time?
Kin No Mask-VQS: That would be convenient. But no...not often, nor reliably. However, the normal eddies and ripples we've seen recently seem to be gathering power in an area centering around the bridges in the Garden's center.
Gaian: You mean we could be facing a major outpouring of Animated there soon?
Kin No Mask-VQS: It could be...but those of us with the keenest other sight think that what we're seeing is the force eddying into three major whirlpools of energy, possibly creating three stronger entities.
Gaian: You mean the Animated are getting more powerful leadership?
Kin No Mask-VQS: Yes. That is what we fear most.
Gaian: Do you know where these whirlpools of power are forming?
Kin No Mask-VQS: They seem to be centering on the bridges in the middle of the Gardens.
Gaian: I'd be happy to go watch the bridges for you. I've fought against the Taikos, the Lanterns, and the Dolls. If they're getting new leaders, I might have a useful edge in the encounter.
Kin No Mask-VQS: Very well. I would recommend that you travel back and forth across the bridges in the center of the Gardens. The power of your rings may tip the balance of energy in those whirlpools and make the new entities appear before they are ready. If that is the case, then you must destroy those entities before they become stronger.
Gaian: So wander around looKing for ambushes then?
Kin No Mask-VQS: It is a rare boon that is not purchased with either sweat or pain. You will most likely pay in both those currencies.
Gaian: ooooh! Deep. Okay...well...no time like the present. I hope to see you soon, Kin.
Kin No Mask-VQS: Good luck to you, Gaian. This is your final trial. Be strong.
Gaian: What's that feeling? As if I'm being pressed in from all sides...
Gaian: It's an ambush!
Kokeshi Collectible: Be a doll and stay right there, would you? I'm a big fan!
Gaian: They must have come from one of those 'ripples' Kin was talking about. I'd better keep patrolling.
Kokeshi Collectible 1/1
Gaian: There it is again...like walking through pudding...
Gaian: It's Taiko Drums this time!
Taiko Bass Drum: Prepare for a beat-ing!
Gaian: Hmmm...that was harder than last time. I hope this isn't a trend...
Taiko Bass Drum 1/1
Gaian: It's happening again...
Gaian: The Ghost Lanterns! I knew it!
Ghost Lamp: Your doom awaits! Look into the light!
Gaian: I was right. All three groups were represented. I'd better go tell Kin before this starts happening again.
Ghost Lamp 1/1
Uncle Kin: You have done it! All three of the entities defeated! You have exceeded my wildest expectations and are quite worthy of our honors and accolades!
Uncle Kin: The energy you released is almost certainly still building up, but now that you've discovered the pattern, I'm sure we can have others continue your work at keeping it disrupted.
Gaian: I'm glad to have helped you recognize the pattern.
Uncle Kin: There will come a day when the Chyaku Norisu clan will have great need of staunch allies. I hope that we can count you as friend when that time comes.
Gaian: Thank you, Kin. It would be my honor.
You just found the Recipe: Ninja Sword!
Uncle Kin: In the meantime, my ninjas have gathered a great number of rings that come from these Animated. I would be honored if you would accept one of them as a small reward for your assistance.
Gaian: I'd be honored to do so!
Uncle Kin: Choose carefully from the rings that we have gathered.
Gaian: Ring categories: Crowd Control
Gaian: Crowd Control Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Taunt
Uncle Kin: Well chosen. You are sure this is the one you want, Gaian?
Gaian: It sure is
Uncle Kin: Then so shall it be.
You found a new Taunt ring!

Wish Tree's Vision

Gaian: Is there anything that YOU all want to talk about?
The Wish Tree: The wind? The world? Our visions? (The visions of otherwheres?!?) [NO! DO NOT TELL!] {We're confused by them!} [TELL!]
Gaian: You have visions?
The Wish Tree: Yes we do. [NO WE DON'T!] {we do we do we do} =Who cares? We are BOUND!=
Gaian: Can you describe those places to me?
The Wish Tree: Some of them...[NO!]. We see a high place =we see for miles!= near old stone where water once ran {the fighting!} where now only pain flows. [the pain tastes like FOOD].
Gaian: Do you see anything else?
The Wish Tree: The wind {We love the wind} blows giant leaves around on a giant tree (not a tree) =must be a tree= not made by the world (ancient ancestor) {GAIA!}, but by those that live on it. [feeble frail things] {YOU!}
Gaian: Interesting. Is that all?
The Wish Tree: Yes! [many more...but DO NOT TELL!] We will tell one more. A lance of light {so bright!} stabs out over a grey pond with no shores =big, big, BIG= bellowing out at the darkness.
Gaian: Your visions sound odd, but maybe they're real places, after all. Would you like me to try and find those places?
The Wish Tree: Yes! Yes! =What if it finds something?= [The visions are OURS!] (Please find them! We must know!)
Gaian: Okay. I'll keep my eye out for places that match those descriptions. If I find them all, I'll come back and let you know. See ya...Tree.
The Wish Tree: Not Tree. Wishes! (Notes!) =Paper!= {[(=US!=)]}
Gaian: Wish Tree then. Either way...see ya.
Gaian: I found The Wish Tree vision area...the Windmill at Bass'ken Lake.
Gaian: I found The Wish Tree vision area...the Lighthouse at Gold Beach.
Gaian: I found The Wish Tree vision area...the Old Aqueduct ruins near the Jungle's edge.
The Wish Tree: You've been there! (Seen them!) {TOUCHED them!} [TELL US!]
Gaian: I guess you know I've found your places then.
The Wish Tree: Tell us! {nownownownownow...} [TELL US!!!]
Gaian: The stone where water ran was the old aqueduct that carried water to Barton Town before a new piping system was built. Two groups war over those stones now, one out of ignorance and one out of greed.
The Wish Tree: And the tree with giant leaves built by your kind? (the leaves!) {it's so BIG!}
Gaian: It's just an old abandoned grain mill by Bassken Lake. I don't know why you saw it, but the 'leaves' are just the windmill vanes.
The Wish Tree: The light lance! Tell us of the light lance! (...and the pond that never ends) =So grey, so cold...=
Gaian: I'm pretty sure that's the lighthouse near Gold Beach. It warns passing ships about the reefs and rocks off that point so they don't add to the scores of shipwrecks that have happened there over the years.
Gaian: I really don't know how that helps you all, but if that's what you wanted to know...well...there ya go.
The Wish Tree: Ahhhh...{so happy} =Now what? Do we tell it?= [NO! Tell nothing!] (Tell it *something*. It was nice to us.)
Gaian: Did you want to say something else to me?
The Wish Tree: We...see things. [NO! Not the futures!] =If we speak them, do we make them true?= (Tell it! We shouldn't be the only ones that know!)
Gaian: What?!? What are you saying?
The Wish Tree: Things of water (grey water...) {Blue water!} =MOVING water!= and things below {down below?} (yes, far below!) are the source that caused us (made us) =accidents! afterthoughts!= to come alive.
Gaian: That barely makes any sense at all? Water? Under? Underground below a river? In the ocean? Made you? Just you? Or all Animated in general?
The Wish Tree: We don't know. We FEEL (see) {smell} [but don't KNOW!] that these things are true (perhaps) =maybe= [ARE TRUE]. We sense (taste) that what was done is just the start [Animated EVERYWHERE!] unless the one that died is vanquished =beaten= (stopped) [EATEN] again.
Gaian: What else? It sounds like you know something else...
The Wish Tree: We don't *know* =yes we do= (we just guess) [we KNOW] what will happen, only what *might* happen [DOOMED! YOU ARE DOOMED!] but if we speak it we may make it true, so we will not =speak it!= (hush!)
Gaian: You must tell me! What do you see?
The Wish Tree: ...
Gaian: Please! I've gone to all these places to help you. Tell me what you know!
The Wish Tree: ...
Gaian: Fine! Sheesh. I can't believe it. That's a fine thank you!
The Wish Tree: We will not speak for fear {bad things from the dark} (Animated of *tremendous* strength), but you have been our friend {our first!} =perhaps our last?= and we would shake our branches to loosen the gifts placed there for you (Not notes, un-live things...).
The Wish Tree: We may say no more =to you= (at this time) [FOR NOW].
Gaian: Well...thanks for the gifts anyway.

Completed for now...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Bass'ken Lake

Mark's Ring

Mark: You there! Stand tall and be recognized! Wait, I don't know you, do I?
Gaian: No. My name is Gaian.
Mark: And I am Mark. Left alone to manage the daily tasks of the Barton Regulars in the absence of our commander, Leon.
Gaian: Who?
Mark: Leon, the Captain of the Barton Regulars. You've never heard of him? Nevermind, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I need help!
Gaian: Okay. Why don't you tell me what sort of tasks you need help with?
Mark: Oh all sorts. Repelling the Animated, gathering information, rescuing Bartonian citizens, and more! We have guards stationed all over the Gaia that are in need of another hand or two...even if they're a finger or two short.
Gaian: Alright, you have my attention. Let's get specific.
Mark: I have but one humble task myself, but you may also speak with Albert in the Ranch, Marcy in the Beach, and Jerry in the Ruins. They are all in need of help.
Gaian: I might as well start with you. What do you need done?
Mark: I'm embarrassed to admit my task is not explicitly a task of the Barton guard. I was on patrol near the Bass'ken Lake recently. When I returned to Barton Town I discovered that I had lost my ring!
Gaian: Let me guess, you want me to look for it?
Mark: You catch on quickly. I'm sure I must have lost it somewhere on the shore, but I'm not sure where exactly. Don't worry, though, if you're strong enough to manage the Animated there it won't take you long at all to find it.
Gaian: Okay, Mark. I'll help you out.
Mark: Great! I hope it doesn't take too long.
You see a ring as you approach the water and pick it up.
Gaian: I found a ring in the lake.
Mark: Let me see it!
Gaian: Okay, take a look.
Mark: Hmmm, this isn't my ring. It's far too heavy. This is terrible. *sigh*
Mark: Well, thanks Gaian. Who knows, maybe it'll turn up somewhere. Keep an eye out if you're passing through Bass'ken.
Gaian: Will do.
You just found the Recipe: Barton Regulars Helmet!
Mark: Anything I can do for you?
Gaian: Yeah, I want to ask you about another of the guard tasks.
Mark: Sure, what did you want to know about?
Gaian: I was heading out to the Ranch soon anyway. How can I find Albert?
Mark: In his last report, Albert said he was near the gate to Dead Man's Pass. I'll Mark the location in your PDA.
Gaian: Thanks. By the way, why do they call it Dead Man's Pass?
Mark: Because of the cemetery.
Gaian: Oh, phew. I thought maybe it was crawling with vampires, or zombies, or some other undead monster. Thanks, Mark.
Mark: Gaian, I wasn't expecting to see you until you had completed the tasks at hand. Do you require more information?
Gaian: Yes, I do.
Mark: Okay, what can I tell you about?
Gaian: Beach, eh? My tan needs some work. How can I find Marcy?
Mark: If you're looking to tan there are much safer places than Gold Beach. It would be unwise to head there unless you are ready for some serious baddies. Anyway, Marcy should be near the bonfire keeping the area safe for party-goers. I'll Mark the location in your PDA.
Mark: Gaian, I wasn't expecting to see you until you had completed the tasks at hand. Do you require more information?
Gaian: Yes, I do.
Mark: Okay, what can I tell you about?
Gaian: I love history! How can I find Jerry?
Mark: I think Otami Ruins may sour your opinion of history. History tells quite another story when it has come to life and is after your head. If you are strong enough, you can find Jerry near the edge of the forest bordering the ruins. I will Mark his location in your PDA.

Looking for Gustav

Ryan: Greetings, Citizen. Watch yourself out there. The Outlaw Wolves may *look* cuddly, but their bite is worse than their bark.
Gaian: hehehe. Funny! Do you need a hand with anything out here?
Ryan: Actually, I do! We haven't seen hide nor hair of Gustav, the old trapper and tree cutter that lives out in the woods near the Lake. You wanna see if you can find him and tell him to check in with us here at the Gate?
Gaian: I can take a look. Is there anyplace special he likes to hang out?
Ryan: Sometimes he's up by the old abandoned lumber mill, and sometimes he hangs out in the forest south of the Ole Fishing Hole. Most times, anyway.
Gaian: Hmmm...okay. I'll watch for him.
Ryan: Much appreciated. Good luck to you!
Gaian: Hello there. Are you Gustav?
Gustav: Who are you that wants to know?
Gaian: My name is Gaian. A Barton Regular by the name of Ryan asked me to watch out for you and let him know if you were all right.
Gustav: So...Gaian...you are friendly person zat helps much. Tell to Ryan that Gustav is bon. And since you are friendly, Gustav has a favor to ask for you.
Gaian: Gustav says that he's just fine but that he will 'stay and play with ze doggeez for a while'.
Ryan: lol. That sounds just like Gustav. I'm glad he's okay then. Great job on finding him!
Gaian: It wasn't too much trouble. Anytime.

Mon Cheri

Gaian: What sort of favor?
Gustav: Bon, mon ami. Ze dog-gies, they no bite, Gustav. Mebee it is because Gustav smells a bit like wet dog already, no? But mebee it is because Gustav no disturb the She Wolf in shes den.
Gaian: She Wolf?
Gustav: Oui. Ze pups seem to come from ze mother wolf, what Gustav calls ze She Wolf. She lives by ze river wit her packs of wolves. You no should go der unless you want holes in your clothes from chew marks.
Gaian: The river to the west from here?
Gustav: Oui. But Gustav is no playing wit you. She no easy fight. You take other friendly persons wit you or it be fast fight!
Gaian: Heck...how bad can it be? I'm going to go check this 'She Wolf' out!
Gustav: Is sad day, den. Gustav will miss you. But you know, Gaian, mebee we strike ze deal? Just in case you no die?
Gaian: Sure, Gustav! What sort of deal?
Gustav: I think mebee...but non. Gustav barely knows you.
Gaian: This is no time to be shy, Gustav.
Gustav: Gustav no like to ask for help...but mebee there is one thing Gaian could help with?
Gaian: Spit it out, Gustav! How can I help?
Gustav: Ze doggees...Gustav thinks mebee dey steal his axe. If you live, mebee you will look in She Wolf den to see if my axe is there?
Gaian: That's it? An axe? There's one there right in front of you!
Gustav: Phaugh! That no axe! Is hatchet only! Good for snapping twigs and hurling at trees. No good for real cutting. Gustav wants his Cheri back in his hand. Gustav no feels complete without ze smooth oak handle and heavy might of Cheri at ze end of his arm. Cheri...she is ze axe of ages...ze axe of champions...ze hatchet of...
Gaian: Ummm...okay. Gotcha. Your axe is a really good axe. Okay...I'll take a look for you...assuming I don't 'get eaten'.
Gustav: Is all Gustav can ask. Thank you, Gaian. Gustav will not see you again, but you are friendly person to see if you can find Cheri for Gustav.
Gaian: See ya soon, Gustav.
Gustav: Non. But it was nice meeting you before you turn into ze Doggee Chow. Au revoir!
She Wolf 1/1
You find Gustav's axe in the litter of the She Wolf's Den
Gustav: What is that? What is THAT YOU CARRY?!?
Gaian: Yup. It's your axe, Gustav!
Gustav: MON CHERI! You will give it to Gustav now?
Gaian: You bet! Here you go, Gustav!
Gustav: At last! Gustav's arm is complete again!
Gaian: Well...you wear it well, Gustav. Glad I could help.
Gustav: Non! You know not how happy Gustav is now. You are Gustav's bon ami now and Gustav will do good things for you now.
Gaian: Okay...I admit that taking on the She Wolf was challenging, but really, it's not necessary.
You just found the Recipe: Cheri's Twin!

Cheri's Sister

Gustav: Gustav teach you to make a real axe, like Cheri. Mebee if you make ze axe like this, then Gustav will show you to make other things too?
Gaian: You'll show me how to make an axe like this? You bet! Show me how!
Gustav: Hmmmm...
Gustav: So you want Gustav to show you new ways to make things, no?
Gaian: Yes!
Gustav: Bon. Gustav writes the way on this paper. Read ze directions and do what it says. Soon, Cheri will have a sister!
Gaian: So this is a big list of items. I should go gather these items and then follow directions to make the axe?
Gustav: Non! Gaian no make an 'axe'...<spits>...Gaian makes wickedness zat is art, beauty zat is deadly. Not a mere...'axe'.
Gaian: Right, right. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to insult your Cheri.
Gustav: Skah. No insult was heard. Only Gustav wants Gaian to appreciate ze tool.
Gaian: Gotcha
Gustav: Gaian do well wit Cheri sister and come back to Gustav. Gustav will show Gaian ways to make something else. Something...special.
Gaian: That sounds intriguing, Gustav. I'll see what I can do with the...with Cheri's sister, and get back as soon as I can.
Gustav: Bon, bon. Au revoir, Gaian! Keep in head zat ze journey is as good as ze goal. Gaian will like what Gustav will show later. Yes...very much, Gustav thinks.
Gaian: Okay. Bye for now!
Iron Ore 4/4
Bronze 2/2
Axe Head 2/2
Lacquered Wood 1/1

Gustav: Gaian! Gustav is glad to see you! And you have ze Sister already!
Gaian: Okay...I have to admit it. This is a mighty fine tool, Gustav. Thank you for showing me how to make it!
Gustav: Gustav very, VERY happy to hear zis, Gaian. It makes Gustav ready to show plans for making ze special item to go with ze Sister.
Gaian: What would go well with an axe? Errr...with the Sister?
Gustav: Gustav now shows you to make ze SHIELD! And Gustav knows what kind of thing would make a good shield now, no?
Gaian: Well...I'd have to guess that 'oui', Gustav *does* know.
Gustav: Gustav knows! Ze old lumber yard...ze Animated has taken it over.
Gaian: What sort of Animated?
Gustav: Ze old rusty buzz saw blades are now...'breeding' is ze word?
Gaian: I'm not sure about 'breeding'. Maybe we should just say 'multiplying' instead? At least until we know more about the Animated.
Gustav: Oui. More and more of zem. I call it 'breeding' because zer seems to be a mama and papa of ze buzz saws near ze pier there.
Gaian: A...mama saw and a papa saw? Does Gustav make ze little joke?
Gustav: Joke? No joke. Ze papa saw is different then ze others. Stronger. Sturdier. Gustav is thinking, it would make GOOD shield!
You just found the Recipe: Saw Shield!

Papa Sawn!

Gaian: So you're giving me directions on how to construct a buzz saw shield?
Gustav: Oui! Gustav has no made one before, but ze recipe...*should* work. Would you like ze instructions?
Gaian: Yes! Thank you, Gustav!
Gustav: Bon! Gaian comes back to show Gustav ze shield when it is done, non? Zat would make Gustav very pleased.
Gaian: Sure. I can do that. Thanks very much, Gustav!

Fluffs Ya Puff

Logan: Hey there, bub. Welcome to the Hole! I'm Logan. What can I do for you today?
Gaian: The Hole?
Logan: The Ole Fishing Hole, of course! We're world-famous!
Gaian: World famous?
Logan: Well...okay. Famous around Barton Town, anyway. But still...it's a pretty lake and it *used* to be a quiet neighborhood.
Gaian: Used to be?
Logan: What? Did you swallow a parrot or something? Look...just because I used to be popular in certain circles doesn't mean you need to be all tongue-tied around me.
Gaian: Tongue-ti...err...yeah. Or rather...no...I didn't swallow a parrot. I mean...do you run this store?
Logan: Yup. This little corner of the world is all mine. Technically, I own the old windmill and lumber yard too, but I pretty much don't have time for anything other'n the Hole nowadays. Business had been booming until the Animated started showing up.
Gaian: Yeah...they've been trouble everywhere.
Logan: Well...there's plenty to do around here nowadays, that's for sure, especially if you aren't afraid of a little rough and tumble. Whatcha lookin' for, kid?
Gaian: What's your store like?
Logan: The Hole is always open, night or day. If you're in need of a pole, a bit of bait, or you just want to sell some of the catch you've made in the Lake, then come on by and I'll take care of you. Just step right through that door!
Gaian: Thanks, Logan. I'll check it out sometime.
Gaian: Is it all right to fish in the lake?
Logan: Well, of course! It wouldn't be much of a fishing hole if you couldn't drop a line in the water, now would it? Just go out to the end of any of the piers on the Lake and you'll be able to cast out and start catching fish!
Gaian: Wow. No fishing licenses or anything?
Logan: Well...if the gaming warden comes around, you just send him over to me and we'll work things out. Go catch some fish!
Gaian: Awesome. Thanks, Logan!
Gaian: Aren't you afraid to be out here alone with all the Animated roaming around?
Logan: Ol' Logan, afraid? Whaddya think, bub, that I'm helpless? I saw more than my share of danger back in my G... before I retired.
Gaian: Retired? I just sort of assumed you always ran the Fishin' Hole... what'd you do before you retired?
Logan: Looking for a story, bub? How do I even know yer worth my time? Information's got a price around here, so before you get your motor spun up how's about tellin' me why I should tell ya a thing?
Gaian: Uhm... because I have a kind and generous soul.
Logan: And I bet you'll kindly and generously relay whatever information I give ya to whoever passes by. See, this is exactly what I'm talkin' about.
Gaian: I wouldn't do that, Logan. Just tell me how I can prove myself and I will.
Logan: Let me think. Hah! I've got the perfect task for a puff like you. The grass fluffs in the woods to the south are just about the weakest thing you'll find near the lake. If you can't take them out, you've got no business with me.
Gaian: I suppose I can do that. How many fluffs did you have in mind?
Logan: What?! Oh, I guess about ten should do.
Grass Fluff 10/10
Logan: Hoho! Took out some grass fluffs and now you think you're tough? Hah.
Gaian: Bah, I didn't do it to prove my toughness... I did it for information!
Logan: Ahh... so you remembered the bargain. Alright, pull up a chair, bub, I guess it's story time.
You just found the Recipe: Scar of the Warrior!
Logan: Let's see... what did you want to know?
Gaian: How about telling me who you worked for?
Logan: You really are new here aren't ya, bub? I thought everyone knew old Logan used to be a member of G-Team.
Gaian: You mean with...
Logan: That's right, bub. Edmund and Johnny K. Gambino.
Gaian: Whoa! Gambino! What is he like?
Logan: Hey, bub, you know the deal. You gotta earn your information. If you wanna do a little more work I'll tell you what you wanna know.
Gaian: Can I ask you something else?
Gaian: How about telling me who you worked for?
Logan: You really are new here aren't ya, bub? I thought everyone knew old Logan used to be a member of G-Team.
Gaian: G-Team? What's that?
Logan: You mean you've never heard of Edmund and Johnny?
Gaian: Hmm.. I guess not. Tell me about them.
Logan: Hey, bub, you know the deal. You gotta earn your information. If you wanna do a little more work I'll tell you what you wanna know.
Gaian: Could you tell me what you did?
Logan: I guess you could say I was a problem solver... I made G-Team's problems go away.
Gaian: Problems like the Animated?
Gaian: Could you tell me what you did?
Logan: I guess you could say I was a problem solver... I made G-Team's problems go away.
Gaian: So, why'd you leave?
Gaian: Oh fine, Logan. It better be worth it, though.
Logan: Depends on how much your curiosity is worth to you, doesn't it?
Gaian: Yeah. I guess you're right. So what do you want me to do?

The Boy

Logan: Okay, bub. One of my responsibilities here on the lake is to keep an eye on the Todd boy. His dad is an old friend and asked me to look after him while he's off galavanting on some dangerous adventure. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of trudging over to the water mill every day. Go check up on him, help him out if he needs anything, and then I'll tell you what you want to know.
Gaian: Right. Where can I find this boy?
Logan: Take the bridge across the river and head southwest to the water-wheel. You'll find him in the cabin there.
Gaian: Jesse? Are you in there, Jesse?
Jesse: Who are you? What are you doing here? Go away or I'll sic my dog on you!
Gaian: Woah! Calm down, Logan sent me. I'm friendly!
Jesse: How do I know Logan sent you?
Gaian: Hey, bub, just open'er up ya puff.
Jesse: LOL! That was a great impression of Logan! So why did Logan send you here?
Gaian: To find out how you are and if you need any help.
Jesse: I'd be doing a lot better if you got rid of these wolves.
Gaian: I can do that.
Jesse: How are you going to manage that?
Gaian: I'm sure Logan and I can come up with a plan.
Jesse: Okay, let me know when you and Logan have dealt with the wolves.
Logan: So, I take it you've been to see the Todd boy. How is he?
Gaian: Hold on there, Logan. First things first! You promised me some more information.
Logan: Ok. You got me, bub. Whaddya want to know?
Gaian: You were gonna tell me about Gambino.
Logan: What's to say about Gambino? He's the richest man in all Gaia... and probably the craziest as well.
Gaian: Really? Why do you say he's crazy?
Logan: The man is obsessed with his own power. Everything he does is for the glorification of his own, massive ego. Do you think a sane person would build a tower like that? And the way he uses his family...
Gaian: Tower?
Logan: I keep forgetting you're new. I guess you never saw the frickin' thing. Tall as a mountain, before it fell. Thought Gambino would be gone for good after that...
Gaian: How was he able to come back?
Logan: Your guess is as good as mine, bub. All I know is it wasn't natural.
Gaian: What do you mean 'wasn't natural?'
Logan: Sorry bub, but that's all I'm prepared to answer for now. Why don't ya let me know how Jesse is and then we'll talk about what you can do next?
Gaian: You were gonna tell me about Gambino.
Logan: What's to say about Gambino? He's the richest man in all Gaia... and probably the craziest as well.
Gaian: Really? Why do you say he's crazy?
Logan: The man is obsessed with his own power. Everything he does is for the glorification of his own, massive ego. Do you think a sane person would build a tower like that? And the way he uses his family...
Gaian: What about his family?
Logan: Sorry bub, but that's all I'm prepared to answer for now. Why don't ya let me know how Jesse is and then we'll talk about what you can do next?
Gaian: You were gonna tell me why you quit G-Team.
Logan: I guess I just got tired of taking care of all the mistakes Gambino was making because of his insanity. It's one thing to take care of a few small problems... it's quite another to babysit a madman.
Gaian: You mean Gambino is crazy? How so?
Gaian: What about his family?
Gaian: You were gonna tell me why you quit G-Team.
Logan: I guess I just got tired of taking care of all the mistakes Gambino was making because of his insanity. It's one thing to take care of a few small problems... it's quite another to babysit a madman.
Gaian: What kind of mistakes was Gambino making?
Gaian: You were gonna tell me what kind of problems you solved.
Logan: Really anything, or anyone, that got in Gambino's way. It started out with small, external problems... but eventually it seemed like all I was doing was cleaning up Gambino's messes.
Gaian: Why was that such a problem for you?
Gaian: What kind of mistakes was Gambino making?
Gaian: Right, Jesse.
Logan: How is he?
Gaian: He's afraid to come out of the cabin with all the ghost wolf pups around. He wanted me to see if you had any idea how to get rid of them.
Logan: What?! How am I supposed to do that? Fart?!
Gaian: I'm not sure. I think wolves are really sensitive to sound. Maybe we can find someone to scare them off with a loud noise?
Logan: Hey! That's not a bad idea. We could try using the windmill as an amplifier... that'd make it loud enough to scare them away.
Gaian: Yeah! Let's try it!

Blades of Wrath

Logan: Let's get busy, then. First things first, we're going to need some buzz saw parts. Head across the river and northwest to the old mill and fetch us a Saw Blade.
Saw Blade 1/1
Logan: Great! One step down. You know, you seem pretty useful, after all. I might have to keep you around.
Gaian: I might! I just love hearing your stories. I could stay around forever and listen.
Logan: Methinks you're hangin' on ol' Logan's words a little too much. Back off a bit, bub. Besides, we've got too much work to do.
Gaian: Work now, stories later? Let's get it over with, then. What's left to do?
Logan: Well, after looking at these blades... I think we're going to need to find something really sharp to scrape across them if we're to get enough sound.
Gaian: Where am I supposed to find something like that?
Logan: I thought it was your turn to come up with the plan. Bah! Leave it to ol' Logan, then.
Gaian: I know you're all over it, Logan.
Logan: Have no fear. I've got the plan all set, bub. Just do what I say and the boy will be fine.
Gaian: Okay. What do I do?

Needle Nose

Logan: Yeah! I have a great plan! A while back, Bill sent me a skeeter nose and asked if I could turn them into fish-hooks. Unfortunately, they were far too brittle to bend to shape, but they might work for this!
Logan: We have to find a bigger one. The needle-nose Bill sent me was too small for what we need. Maybe you should talk to Bill, he might know something.
Rancher Bill: Well 'owdy! What brings ya back to botherin' with ol' Bill?
Gaian: Actually, Bill, I was sent down this way by Loganl. I'm down here looking for something for him and he said you might be able to help.
Rancher Bill: Izatafact? What kinda help did ya think I might be offerin'?
Gaian: Loganl and I are trying to build a... let's just say a device. He thinks we need a needle nose like the one you sent him, only bigger. Any idea where I might find something like that?
Rancher Bill: Well, of course I can tell ya where to find something like that! Ya can find an aggressive skeeter all the way south of the ranch. I'm sure it'd have a nose of the sort ya lookin' fer. Durn thing got a nose the size of my arm.
Gaian: Cool. You don't mind me whacking it?
Rancher Bill: Mind? Shucks, ya gonna be doin' me a favor. Only reason the dang thing is still down there is on accounta my inability to git rid of it meself.
Gaian: Great. And, thanks.
That's the skeeter! That nose is huge!
You have recovered a giant skeeter nose!

Loganl: Hey, Gaian. You got the needle? Give me a minute... Alright, now we should be able to do something useful.

Logan's Wailing Windmill

Gaian: How exactly is this supposed to work?
Loganl: Uhm... I'm not exactly sure. I think you'll just need to hook it up to the windmill's gears and it should work on its own...
Gaian: You aren't filling me with a lot of confidence.
Loganl: Bah! Don't be such a pansy. This'll go off without a hitch.
Gaian: I'll trust you Loganl... but you better be right. So where is this windmill anyway?
Loganl: Can't you see it from here? It's just over there on the northeast shore of the lake.
Gaian: Of course I can't... all I can see is this scr... nevermind. You wouldn't get it.
You hook Logan's contraption into the windmill.
Logan: How'd it work, bub? Wait, don't tell me, perfectly.
Gaian: I suppose you could say it worked... as a giftbox beacon!
Logan: A what? What's that supposed to mean?
Gaian: I mean it didn't repell the wolf pups at all! All it did was summon a bunch of gift boxes!
Logan: Hah! Well, how do you like that? Are you sure you hooked everything up right?
Gaian: Pretty sure!
Logan: Hrm. I guess we'd better try again.
Gaian: It's not even worth it. Let's just finish up with your G-Team stories so I can move on.
Logan: Bah. If that's your attitude, bub.
You just found the Recipe: Logan's Vest!
Logan: What did you want to know?
Gaian: What mistakes was Gambino making that made you leave G-Team?
Logan: Mistakes?! Gambino was out of his mind with power! Taking chances left and right hoping to finish the experiments.
Gaian: Did anything bad ever happen?
Logan: Oh, all the time. Some fool or another darn near destroys the lab or releases a horde of monsters on a daily basis.
Gaian: Monsters? Like the Animated?
Logan: I don't know anything about that, bub. I left long before the Animated started showing up. If ya ask me it probably has more to do with that flashy lightshow in the north a while back.
Logan: What did you want to know?
Gaian: What did Gambino do to his family?
Logan: The experiments... I don't know what reasons Gambino had for experimenting on his own family. A quest for immortality? Perfection? Utter madness, probably.
Gaian: So I guess he didn't care much for his family?
Logan: I don't know if Gambino cares for anyone except himself. Not even his family. Even his concern for Gino, I think, is more about his own legacy than Gino.
Gaian: It must have been a pain working with someone like that.
Logan: Uhg. I was always cleaning up after Gambino in one way or another. I can't even name all the crazy creatures he had running around that lab half destroying the place!
Gaian: Creatures? Are you saying Gambino had something to do with the Animated?
Logan: I don't know anything about that, bub. I left long before the Animated started showing up. If ya ask me it probably has more to do with that flashy lightshow in the north a while back.
Gaian: I don't need to know anything else, Logan.
Logan: Okay, before you head on your merry way I have something for you, bub.
Gaian: Really? What? A present?
Logan: Hey, bub. What ring do you want?
Gaian: I dunno. Whatcha got?
Logan: Hordes of rings. I've got pockets full of the things. Tell me what you want and I'll fish it out for ya.
Gaian: Ring categories: Defenses
Gaian: Defense Rings (See GAME HELP, category: 'Rings' for details) Turtle
Logan: Gotcha, bub. That'll work. You sure this is your choice?
Gaian: Yup! I'm sure!
You found a new Turtle ring!

More to be added...

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Buccaneer Boardwalk

Non-Quest Chatter

Bob and Ted

Bob: Hello der.
Gaian: Hello yourself.
Bob: And why would I want t'do dat den?
Gaian: Do what?
Bob: Say hello to myself.
Gaian: No. Not *to* yourself. I was just saying hi back.
Bob: Is dat a local greeting den?
Gaian: What?!?
Bob: Dis 'hi back' yer sayin'.
Gaian: Oh, I see...no! I was just saying hello to you because you said it first to me!
Bob: Oh, right den! But...when did I say it first to you?
Gaian: Just a minute ago! When you said 'Hello der!'
Bob: Right, right. I thought you was sayin' dat I said 'hi back' first. But what yer sayin' is I shoulda said 'hi back' instead of 'hello der', eh?
Gaian: No, that's not it at all! You *never* say 'hi back'.
Bob: Oh, really. Well if I don't learn the local talk how am I gonna fit in den?
Gaian: IT'S NOT LOCAL TALK! Just don't say 'hi back'
Bob: Sure, sure. But it don't seem very sociable, y'know. What if someone says 'hi' to me first?
Gaian: Gah. Are you kidding me?!?
Bob: Oh no. I never kid. I'm not a goat, don't y'know.
Gaian: Oh we are SO done talking now.
Bob: Okay den. Lo back!
Gaian: ...all right...I have to ask. 'Lo back'?
Bob: Well, I figured that if 'hi back' was a greeting, then 'lo back' must be a way to say 'see ya!'
Gaian: ...yes. Yes that's it exactly. 'lo back' DOES mean goodbye. You should use it ALL the time.
Bob: Sounds good den. Y'know...if you don't mind me sayin' so, you locals seem to be a tiny bit high-strung. Maybe you should relax a bit once in a while, eh? Take in a sauna or something?
Gaian: *twitch* Yeah. I'll do that.
Bob: Good for you. Lo back den!
Ted: Hey, friend. My name is Ted. Got a sec?
Gaian: Sure thing! What do you need?
Ted: Well...I'll tell ya. I think I'm lost. A friend of mine told me to head up here to meet him at his house, but I'll be darned if I can find his house or any of the town guards to ask about it.
Gaian: Ummmm...unless your friend lives in a bungalow on the beach, I think you might be more than a *little* lost.
Ted: Oh, drat. Where do you think I went wrong?
Gaian: Did your friend say anything about Barton's *south* gate?
Ted: Well...yes.
Gaian: And did you know that you're very far NORTH of Barton Town now?
Ted: ...I have to admit that the beach had me a tad concerned. I didn't remember that on the brochure...
Gaian: No. I can see why. You should probably head back down past Bass'ken Lake to get back to Town.
Ted: Oh, I don't know. Now that I'm up here, I might as well wait for the 'pirate' cruise.
Gaian: PIRATE Cruise?
Ted: Yes...that nice fellow by the boardwalk offered to take me onto his ship sometime soon for a long cruise in his 'pirate ship'. It sounds fantastic! I can't wait!
Gaian: Nice fellow? Long 'pirate' cruise? Where did you say you met this fellow?
Ted: Up by where the boardwalk sticks out into the water. The rightmost of the two boardwalks as you face the ocean. Nice fellow. The man by the boardwalk, I mean. Lots of bright costuming for the tourists, but VERY authentic. I'm impressed!
Gaian: Ooookay. Well...good luck on your cruise there, Ted. That cruise might be longer than you think it's going to be.
Ted: Do you think so? Really? Fan-tastic!!

Butterfingers Bart

Butterfingers Bart: Ahoy, matey! The name's Butterfingers Bart. Wot kin I do for ye?
Gaian: Are you a real pirate?
Butterfingers Bart: A real pirate, y'say? A REAL pirate?!? Har! Of course I am! Swashbuckler! Cuthroat! Privateer! A true Pirate of the Shallow Sea and proud of it!
Gaian: Wow. So what are you doing standing in front of the boardwalk?
Butterfingers Bart: well...err...ummm...YAR! Thar's secret happenin's on the boardwalk and ye'll not be getting in to see them. YAR! That be the truth! As long as Bart stands here, ye'll never get by to see wot's inside.
Gaian: Do I *want* to see inside?
Butterfingers Bart: Of course y'do! But y'can't! Upon fear for your life, ye'll not advance e'en a step onto these planks. So says Bart!
Gaian: Ummm...okay, Bart. I'll keep off the planks.
Butterfingers Bart: Yar. That ye will. So says...
Gaian: ...Bart. Yeah, yeah. I get it. What else can you tell me?
Butterfingers Bart: Wot would y'know?
Gaian: Do you know where the Animated are coming from?
Butterfingers Bart: Har... well, I gots nothin' substantial but to me mind thar was narry an Animated b'fore that big explosion. So says Bart.
Gaian: What?! Explosion?! What explosion?
Butterfingers Bart: Ya mean ya ne'er heard tales o' the explosion? B'Gaia, have ye been livin' under a rock?
Gaian: Bah! I guess I just don't read enough. So what about this explosion?
Butterfingers Bart: Well, perhaps ol' Bart be not the one to ask. The explosion took place just off the north o'here. Were it me, I'd be speakin' with folks on the beach. Maybe one of 'em was watchin' closely enough to shed some more light.
Gaian: Hmm... I'll keep that in mind. I wanted to ask you about something else, though.
Butterfingers Bart: Wot kin I do for ye?
Gaian: What's going on with the boardwalk?
Butterfingers Bart: Wouldn't y'like to know?
Gaian: Well...yes. I would like to know.
Butterfingers Bart: Well...the Cap'n, she's been readin' a lot and it's given her some mighty strange idears.
Gaian: What sort of 'idears'?
Butterfingers Bart: She's larned the idear of cleanin' our money so we can give it away easier.
Gaian: 'Cleaning' money? Do you mean 'laundering'?
Butterfingers Bart: Yar! That's wot the Cap'n calls it too. We launder the booty by sinkin' it into a big park and openin' it t'all you landlubbers out there, makin' e'en more gold from ye when y'spend it foolishly here.
Gaian: Park? What sort of park?
Butterfingers Bart: A 'musement park.
Gaian: An amusement park? You mean with ferris wheels and boardwalk games? That sort of amusement park?
Butterfingers Bart: YAR! She's a beauty too. The swabbies we've got buildin' things are still workin', so the park is closed for now...but we'll open it soon enuff and then we'll start fleecin' the customers.
Gaian: Wait a minute. I know you pirates make a lot of cash, but how can you afford something this big? This seems stupendous.
Butterfingers Bart: Well...that's whar some of us be disagreein' with th' Cap'n. Mind you...wot she says goes, but we don't much like the idea of being beholden to that thar Gambino fella.
Gaian: Gambino? As in the Gambinos of G-Corp?
Butterfingers Bart: Yar, that's the ones. Cap'n Marina has had...some dealin's...with G-Corp in the past. We're told that the Gambinos wonted to expand beyond the confines of their gamblin' island to set up shop here on the mainland too.
Gaian: So...G-Corp is backing your band of pirates to set up an amusement park? What kind of sense does that make?
Butterfingers Bart: Th' gold kind, ya lubber! We pirates git the money cleanin' place we wont, and the Gambinos get a share of the gold we garner in trade for helpin' us build th' place.
Gaian: That...makes sense, I suppose.
Butterfingers Bart: Yar...that it do. What else do you need helpin' with?
Gaian: Are you hiring crew now?
Butterfingers Bart: So y'wont to be a pirate, do ye?
Gaian: Yes!!!
Butterfingers Bart: Enthusiastic little fish, ain't ya? Well...we're not hirin' right now. We've got a full boat. If ye'd like to be a carnie, we'll have work for ye when the buildin' is done, but nuthin' now.
Gaian: Well..it was worth asking about.
Butterfingers Bart: Now...what else be ye needin' to know?
Gaian: No thanks. I'm good for now.
Butterfingers Bart: Well, until later then, if ye be luffin', then be laffin'. Thar ain't n'uther way.
Gaian: Ummm...yeah. You too?
Butterfingers Bart: YAR!

Completed

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Gold Beach

Duneslam

Jacques: Yar, who ye be?
Gaian: I be Gaian. Who be ye?
Jacques: There are those who call me... Jacques?
Gaian: Is Jacques your name or do people just call you that?
Jacques: Me name actually be Jacques Emmanuel Renault-Kincaid. Jacques be fer short.
Gaian: I can see why. Your full name is a block and a half long!
Jacques: Har! Yes, I guess it is a wee bit long... but it has character! So what can ole Jacques do ye for?
Gaian: Blaze sent me. I'm looking for Marshall.
Jacques: The life o' the light'ouse keeper is more excitin' than ye'd think. All sort o' tings be 'appenin' 'ere an' dere. Lately I been watchin' somethin' that's got me a might concerned. Jus' o'er yonder I been seein' one of them sand castle things agrowin' and agrowin'. Methink someone should knock it down fore it gets too big.
Gaian: That sounds like a request.
Jacques: Aye, if ye think yer up to it. This golem's not likely to be a pushover.
Gaian: I'm up to it! Where can I find this beast?
Jacques: Ye don't look aroun' much do ye? Ye walked right past it on yer way up 'ere! Just 'ead south and 'e's off to the left.

What a Drag

Brodie: Sup! What's goin' down?
Gaian: Just working on my tan. You?
Brodie: Tan?! Isn't it faster to customize? Anyway, I'm pretty terrible atm. Nobody but me even cares about the dang anchor bugs walking around!
Gaian: Did you say anchors... walking... around? The Animated get stranger and stranger.
Brodie: Yeah, giant anchors that crawl around and shoot themselves at people. Anchor bugs are serious business.
Gaian: Sounds like it... what can we do?
Brodie: I dunno... maybe you could just kill them? You look pretty badass to me.
Gaian: Hmm... maybe I could. I'll give it a shot.
Brodie: Go getem, Gaian! You can find them to the north... and the further north the more you will find.
Anchor Bug 10/10
Brodie: Well, that oughta keep the bugs under control for now. Good work, Gaian!
Gaian: Yeah, they learned their place! I need to beat a few more things up.
Brodie: Hmm... I've got nothing for you to do, but you might try talking to the other surfers.
Gaian: Okay, I'll ask around. Thanks.
You just found the Recipe: Anchor!

Dug in Drug out

Brodie: Dang bugs! They just won't leave! It's like they're dug in or something.
Gaian: I suppose that *is* what anchors do.
Brodie: I hadn't thought of that, but you make a really good point. Meet stubborn with stubborn, I say. If they won't budge, we'll keep pushing until they do. Ready to go konk some more bugs?
Gaian: You betcha, I'm not giving up yet!
Brodie: Too cool, Gaian. You know what to do, konk 'em out and let me know when you've dropped 10 of them!
Anchor Bug 10/10
Brodie: Jeez those bugs are stubborn! I think you're starting to get through, though. Great work, Gaian!
Gaian: Are you sure? It feels like I'm not making any headway.
Brodie: Pretty sure. There's just a ton of those things so it seems like you aren't. You just need to konk some more. Up for it?
Gaian: Yeah, I guess. I'm a little tired but I'm not gonna let some bugs beat me.
Brodie: I knew you'd be down. Get at them!

A New Board

Benny: Duuuuuuude.
Gaian: That's all you have to say? Dude?
Benny: I'm just saying hi, what gives?
Gaian: Alright, fair enough. What's going on Benny?
Benny: Aww dude, not much. I'm just trying to put a new board together... I almost have everything I need too.
Gaian: Almost? What are you missing?
Benny: Synthetic Fiber! I need about ten of them but ever since the fluffs started defending themselves they've been hard to come by.
Gaian: Haha, you can't handle a few fluffs? Man, I own fluffs on the daily. I'll take care of that for you.
Benny: Dude that'd be awesome! I only need about ten of them.
Synthetic Fiber 10/10
Benny: Is that some Synthetic Fiber in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Gaian: Uh... it's Synthetic Fiber.
Benny: Sweet! Now I can finish my board!
Benny: Hey, you know now that I've got everything for my board I really don't need this pattern anymore. Why don't you take it?
Gaian: Cool! Thanks, Benny.
You just found the Recipe: Red Hibiscus Surfboard!

Castles made of sand

Ceejay: OMG Hi! I'm Ceejay, I love the beach!!
Gaian: Hi Ceejay. I like the beach too.
Ceejay: It's great, isn't it. But those sand thingies need to go.
Gaian: Sand thingies?
Ceejay: There're like... giant living sand castles and they're mean! The other day I was out on the beach and one almost came up through the sand right underneath me! I wish someone would do something about them.
Gaian: I could give that a try.
Ceejay: Could you? Please please please! They're scattered all over the beach, but mostly to the north.
Gaian: I'll get started immediately.
Ceejay: Great! Go getem!
Sand Castle Golem 20/20
Ceejay: Yaaaaaay! My herooooo!
Gaian: Relax. It was nothing.
Ceejay: Not to me it wasn't. Thanks! *huggles*

Swirlies suck

Ike: Hey bro, how's it goin'?
Gaian: Pretty good Ike. How about you?
Ike: Not bad. Just chillin' next to the fire until the Water Spouts leave.
Gaian: Cool. Mind if I join you?
Ike: Not at all, bro. Pull up a seat.
Gaian: Thanks. So tell me... what the heck is a Water Spout?
Ike: They're a total bummer, bro. They're lIke little tornadoes in the water. It's impossible to surf with them out there. Luckily they seem to only come out at night and most of us know to get out of the water.
Gaian: Why doesn't somebody do something about them?
Ike: Surfers are peaceful, bro. We just lIke to chill, not fight.
Gaian: Well, I could probably do something about the Water Spouts... at least provide a little safety for any surfers that don't know better.
Ike: Cool, they're all along the shore north of here... can't miss them.
Water Spout 15/15
Ike: Whoa! You totally did it. Thanks bro, we won't have to worry about swirlie nightmares for a while.
Gaian: Just glad I could help.
You just found the Recipe: Green Dragon Surfboard!

Memento Detector

Marcy: Gaian! Mark said you'd be coming along to help me.
Gaian: Yep... he didn't say what you needed help with, though.
Marcy: Actually it should be pretty fun. Jacques, the aged lighthouse keeper, has lost some mementos in the sand. Fortunately, they're all metallic so finding them should only require walking around the beach with a metal detector. I'd do it myself but I already have enough sand in my armor!
Gaian: Sounds like fun, I'll do it. How do I get started?
Marcy: It's easy! Just walk around the beach and listen for beeps. The faster the beeps come the closer you are to one of Jacques mementos. Find all five of them and bring them back to me.
Gaian: That does seem easy.
Marcy: Do be careful, though. The Animated in this area are very vicious and I'd hate to see you injured.
After a few moments of digging, you find something!
You've now found 5 out of 5 pieces of metal.

Marcy: Gaian you found them! Oh what a relief. It wasn't too sandy was it?
Gaian: It wasn't bad at all.
Marcy: Good to hear. Jacques will be so pleased. Thank you again for your help, Gaian.
You just found the Recipe: Barton Regulars Boots!

Non-Quest Chatter

Dylan

Dylan: Hey there. I'm Dylan. Enjoying the party?
Gaian: Nice bonfire. You guys do this a lot?
Dylan: Pretty much every night. We used to do some night surfing when the moon was full, but ever since those water spout things started showing up...well...the bonfire's looking pretty good at night now.
Gaian: The water spouts don't like you out there?
Dylan: Well, to be honest, we don't push them too hard. A wave might take you out while you're surfing, but not usually on purpose, y'know what I mean?
Gaian: heh. Right. Absence is the better part of valor, eh?
Dylan: Exactly. Meanwhile, the fire's warm and the company's cool, so we're aces anyway.
Gaian: Gotcha. So what's going on around here?
Dylan: Mostly, we're just hanging out. This little section of beach seems to be pretty normal. That's why we do the bonfire here. Further west is pretty crazy though. It seems like the closer you get to the old aqueduct or the Otami ruins, the crazier things get.
Gaian: Oh yeah? What sorts of things?
Dylan: Which area are you asking about?
Gaian: The Otami Ruins
Dylan: The ruins? Man...all that statue stuff from the old ruins has come to life. It's nuts out there. And that crazy girl from school...you know the one with the machete?...is running all over the place there, asking questions about her missing Dad and looking for things to whack.
Gaian: Whoa. Have you been out there?
Dylan: Me? No way. Even without the statues, I'm not much into jungles. Too many bugs and too little insect repellant. Besides, even before the Animated started showing up, that place was weird for all sorts of reasons.
Gaian: How was it weird?
Dylan: Oh, you know. The stories about the old race that lived in the ruins still being around, or the explorers that go on about being 'touched' by old gods and stuff.
Gaian: Wow.
Dylan: I didn't used to believe any of it...but nowadays, who's to say what's possible and what's not, y'know?
Gaian: No doubt. What else can you tell me?
Dylan: About the ruins? Not much...like I said, I haven't been there myself. Those are just stories I've heard.
Gaian: Maybe you can tell me about one of those other areas then?
Gaian: The Old Aqueduct
Dylan: That's a warzone, man. The Star Portal is still active there from when the Zurg invaded a couple years ago. You remember that, right?
Gaian: Yeah...I remember that.
Dylan: Well, to tell the truth, I don't know much about the Zurg. But they put the Star Portal down over by the old aqueduct to the south of here, and the GIB have watched it carefully ever since.
Gaian: GIB? Who's that? And what's a Star Portal?
Dylan: Man...you ask a lot of questions. The GIB are the government dudes that keep track of the aliens. Everyone always calls them the 'Gaians in Black' because of the suits they always wear. Anyway, there's always at least one stationed over there. If you wanna know more about that stuff, go ask the dude on duty.
Gaian: Okay, okay. Gotcha. Maybe I could ask you just a bit more before I go?
Dylan: Yeah, yeah...
Gaian: Here at Gold Beach
Dylan: Man...it's a total bummer. The Beach used to be a great place to hang, but now that dang landshark patrols the sand trying to eat everything that moves and everything that *shouldn't* move is crawling around like it's really alive. I hate these Animated. They are RUINING my party vibe.
Gaian: Does anyone around here know more about what's going on?
Dylan: Nah. The others here are younger than me and they just don't care much. Maybe that old crazy lighthouse keeper might know more, but you'd have to go ask him. His name is Jack, or Jacques, or something like that, I think.
Gaian: Okay, Dylan. Thanks. Maybe I'll check him out.
Dylan: If you do, don't blame me if he's too weird for you. He creeps most of us out. Even the roughest of us don't mess with the Keeper or his mutt.
Gaian: Right. Well thanks, Dylan. Maybe I could ask just a couple more questions?
Gaian: Maybe I don't need to know after all. Thanks anyway.
Dylan: Later.
Gaian: See ya.

More to be added...

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Old Aqueduct

A New Species

Concerned Citizen: What can I do for you today, citizen?
Gaian: What's going on around here?
Concerned Citizen: It appears that the Star Portal has been used by an unknown species to invade this area.
Gaian: Star Portal? What's that?
Concerned Citizen: The Star Portal was left here by the Zurg when they invaded our planet briefly a couple years ago. It's been inactive since that time, but recently began discharging energy at around the same time that the Animated began appearing in the area.
Gaian: So the Star Portal is responsible for what's going on?
Concerned Citizen: That's probably a negative. Rather, we think that the portal was partially re-activated by whatever caused the Animated to start appearing.
Gaian: 'We'? What 'we'?
Concerned Citizen: A group of Concerned Citizens, that's all.
Gaian: Mm-hmmm...and does that group have a name?
Concerned Citizen: No, it does not.
Gaian: Of course not. Can you tell me more about that 'unknown species' in the area?
Concerned Citizen: I can tell you what I'm guessing, but there are few facts available. The aliens seem to have come through the Star Portal by accident and they can't seem to use it to get back.
Gaian: Oh? How can you tell that?
Concerned Citizen: We had an agen...err...fellow Concerned Citizen here watching the portal when the ETs first came through. They seemed quite disorganized and flustered initially, only settling down to dig their burrow bunkers after they gave up on getting out through the Star Portal.
Gaian: I've seen a few of them. They seem to be packing a lot of equipment.
Concerned Citizen: That's true. And I know some people that would give a lot to get that kind of equipment to a lab for analysis.
Gaian: Is that something you need help with?
Concerned Citizen: Normally, no. But our...group of citizens...is spread pretty thin right now. Would you be willing to test yourself against these ETs and bring me back some of their equipment?
Gaian: Sure! I'd be glad to help!
Concerned Citizen: All right then. I'm fairly certain that the rings you're wearing will still be effective against these ETs, even though they're not Animated. See if you can knock some of them out and then come back and tell me what sorts of things you find on them.
Gaian: You got it. Be back in a jif!
Predator Prairie Pup 10/10
Concerned Citizen: So...what did you find out?
Gaian: Well...not as much as you might hope. The little guys tend to blow themselves up when they're put out of commission, but I found scraps of circuit boards that seemed to grow out of flesh, funny-feeling plastic bits, and other stuff that's clearly 'not from around here'.
Concerned Citizen: Well done! You might have the stuff to join our little...society of well-meaning citizens...if you keep that up.
Gaian: Cool. But this stuff is just junk. Is it really going to tell you anything?
Concerned Citizen: Well, not me specifically. But our labs will be able to analyze these things down to the molecular level and that should tell us a thing or two.
Gaian: Labs?
Concerned Citizen: Uh, right. Okay, we're a *well-funded* group of Concerned Citizens. Keep bringing me info on these aliens and I'll let you in on what our scientists find out about these components you've shown me.
Gaian: That's downright generous of you!
Concerned Citizen: Don't get all smarmy, junior. If we had more men available right now, we'd already have shipped you off somewhere as a security risk. But for now, we're appreciative of your assistance.
Gaian: Ummmm...thanks?
Concerned Citizen: There's still a lot to be discovered about these ETs.
Gaian: Okay, but...do we have to keep calling them ETs?
Concerned Citizen: A code name is a good idea, operative. Perhaps 'Species 3-XA'?
Gaian: Okay...I'll admit that's catchy...but maybe something a bit easier to say?
Concerned Citizen: What would you suggest?
Gaian: I don't know. They're kinda small like prairie dogs. Maybe 'space dogs' or something?
Concerned Citizen: That's a negative. That is the single stupidest name I have ever heard. These things are predators. They hunt and kill systematically in an organized fashion. They are lethal in the extreme and a threat to our entire societal structure.
Gaian: Okay then, let's compromise...how about 'Predator Pups', or even 'Predator Prairie Pups'?
Concerned Citizen: ...will that end this conversation topic once and for all?
Gaian: Sure!
Concerned Citizen: In that case, we'll designate them as 'P3' for short and call it official.
Gaian: Oh...all right.

Scanning the Burrows

Concerned Citizen: Now that we're done with that, would you like to get back to work?
Gaian: You bet. What's next on your 'Concerned Citizen' list?
Concerned Citizen: The P3s are engaged in a sporadic battle to the west of their main encampment with Animated units coming down from the jungle. I believe this may distract them enough for you to be able to scout their burrow positions.
Gaian: You want me to go into the middle of all that?
Concerned Citizen: Don't get your panties in a bunch, junior. It's not like I'm asking you to camp there overnight or anything. Just get near to each of the burrows and this scanner I'm giving you will read out all sorts of info from their burrow and transmit it back to the labs.
Gaian: So you think the Pups will just let me in, even though they've shot at me everytime I got close to them?
Concerned Citizen: Of course not. I expect your natural cunning and talent to preserve you in the face of danger.
Gaian: Oh. Okay then. That sounds good.
Concerned Citizen: Good. By my count, there are eight P3 burrows out there. You need to get close to at least five of them before we'll have gathered enough data to learn more about their race.
Gaian: Gotcha. Five burrows. Right up next to them. Okay...well...wish me luck.
Concerned Citizen: Luck is for those that do not have skill, junior. Don't rely on it.
Gaian: Okay, Mr. Sunshine. Hey...wait a minute! What *is* your name, anyway?
Concerned Citizen: Do your job and come back. We'll talk about my name then, if you're still alive.
Gaian: Great. What a reward. See ya.
You successfully scan the burrow. You have scanned 5 out of 5 burrows.
Concerned Citizen: Well done, junior! The lab is ecstatic about the data you transmitted from the burrows!
Gaian: Oh. So you know already then?
Concerned Citizen: Of course we do. That scanner transmitted everything you found and the white coats have been analyzing it in real-time.
Gaian: Ah...of course. So what did they find?
Concerned Citizen: A number of things. First, it looks like the P3 aren't here to invade, after all. Instead, they seem to have come through the Star Portal and then ended up trapped here, unable to return for some reason.
Gaian: So, I've been fighting *accident victims*?
Concerned Citizen: Hardly. Apparently, those burrows of theirs go pretty deep, and they seem to breeding a whole army of aliens down there. It's like a giant hotel full of P3s, going down deep into the ground.
Gaian: But...they just got here, you said!
Concerned Citizen: Hmmm...well...they must be frisky little aliens then. Regardless, they seem to be really high-tech, and if we don't find a way for them to leave our planet, they might not need to invade. They can just crowd us out eventually, at the rate they're multiplying.
Gaian: So, they *are* a danger, after all?
Concerned Citizen: You're darn tootin'. But one of them, the one that seems to be their Commander...or whatever they call their leader...has a transponder of some sort that we think activates the Star Portal.
Gaian: You mean they *could* leave after all? But you said they were trapped here!
Concerned Citizen: You seem to be getting a bit frustrated. I'll tell you what...I'll give you some information, in exchange for the work you've done for us recently. If you like what you see, then maybe we can keep working together to solve what's going on here.
Gaian: Sounds good. What kind of info are you talking about?
Concerned Citizen: You've noticed by now that the P3 have very advanced gauntlets they wear with communication devices inside them. Here are the plans that the lab has deciphered. With these plans, you should be able to make your own set of the same gauntlets.
Gaian: Wow! Fantastic!
Gaian: Hey, by the way! What's your name?
Concerned Citizen: All right. I said I'd tell you. It's Caruthers.
You just found the Recipe: Preda-Gauntlets!
Gaian: Caruthers? Is that your first name or last name?
Concerned Citizen: It's Agent Caruthers.
Gaian: So now it's 'agent' instead of 'Concerned Citizen'?
Concerned Citizen: Don't push me, citizen. Now, if you liked that gauntlet formula, there's more where that came from. If you keep being successful for us, there's no reason we can't keep setting you up with more gizmos of your own.
Gaian: That sounds great. I'm in! What do you need done next?

Get the Transponder Portal!

Concerned Citizen: I admire your eagerness, scrub. Here's what we need to do. Those scans you made revealed that only one of the P3s is holding the transponder used to activate the Star Portal.
Gaian: I have to find a single Pup in all that mess? How am I going to do that?
Concerned Citizen: Our cumulative scans have revealed that the leader of their collective takes patrols out on his own, ranging far around the burrow perimeters on a regular basis. But he always heads home to the main bunker near the trees to the south. You can wait for him there or try to catch him and his honor guard out on patrol. It's up to you.
Gaian: And then what?
Concerned Citizen: That's where that natural cunning and skill comes into play again. I know you'll think of something.
Gaian: Great. So...find the leader, whack him somehow, and bring the transponder back to you?
Concerned Citizen: That'll do, junior. That'll do.
Gaian: I was afraid you might say that. Okay. I'm on it.
Predator Commander 1/1
Concerned Citizen: Well?
Gaian: I got it! It was hard to find him, and that was a tough fight, but I got it!
Concerned Citizen: Well done! And as per our deal, here's the blueprints to the helmets that the P3s are wearing. Use the knowledge wisely.
Gaian: Fantastic!
You just found the Recipe: Preda-Helmet!
Gaian: Hey...wait a minute. You're being suspiciously civil in your tone. What's up?
Concerned Citizen: Me? I don't see how I'm behaving any differently than normal. What do you mean?
Gaian: You've gone more than two sentences without insulting me or putting me down. What's wrong?
Concerned Citizen: Maybe I've just learned to respect you for your accomplishments...Gaian.
Gaian: What? You called me by NAME? Do I have a terminal disease or something? I'm gonna die, aren't I?
Concerned Citizen: Not immediately...no.
Gaian: WHAT?!?
Concerned Citizen: Well...who knows what will happen to you when you go through the Portal? I mean...anything could happen, couldn't it?
Gaian: THROUGH the portal? Hmmm...come to think of it...I've always wanted to 'get away from it all'. Tell me more.
Concerned Citizen: That's what a good operative should say! I knew I could count on you, junior!
Gaian: Thanks, senior.
Concerned Citizen: Is that supposed to be good-natured ribbing?
Gaian: ummm...yes? I mean...now that I know you actually *know* my name, it just seems fair, y'know?

Through the Star Portal!

Concerned Citizen: Right. Well, look junior, we need you to take that transponder you got from their leader and use it to open the Star Portal...
Gaian: Okay. Opening it doesn't sound so bad. I thought you wanted me to go THROUGH it.
Concerned Citizen: ...and then go through to the other side to see what the P3 home world looks like, and why they aren't headed back themselves.
Gaian: Oh. Doh. So...something's stopping the P3s from going home...stopping those high-tech aliens with all the super-powered lasers and explosives...and somehow little ol' me and my rings are supposed to jump through and figure out what's stopping THEM?
Concerned Citizen: That's about it! Good luck, Operative Gaian!
Gaian: Wait...you said you didn't believe in luck.
Concerned Citizen: I don't. But something tells me you're going to need every bit of help you can get on this one.
Gaian: Man...you're just the king of uplifting speeches, aren't you?
Concerned Citizen: I've always thought so, yes.
A strange force pulls you across the cosmos...
You hear skittering coming from the tunnels...
The sounds are getting closer...
Oh no...they're almost here...
Look out!
The Hive overwhelms you, ending your cosmic wrong turn. Your only escape now is release to the void...

Concerned Citizen: Gaian! You made it back! What happened? Your scanner cut off as soon as you went through the Portal.
Gaian: Bugs. Lots and lots and LOTS of bugs. Hundreds of 'em. MILLIONS!
Concerned Citizen: You mean the P3 world was invaded by insectoids?
Gaian: No. Yes. I don't know...maybe. But the walls of the area I was in looked like they'd been secreted by the bugs and *grown*. They didn't look natural at all. Heck...they *pulsed* all the time I was there!
Concerned Citizen: Hmmm...so either the P3 world has been overrun by bugs, or the portal isn't connecting to their home world any longer. Either way, it's clear why they're not trying to leave through the portal.
Gaian: As far as I'm concerned, those pups are smarter than we are. Dang...I'm telling you...there were bugs *everywhere*. I'm really lucky that whereever I was, it wasn't too far away from the Null Chamber for me to reform there after I got beat down!
Concerned Citizen: Well...good job. I'm not sure how we're going to contain the spread of the pups now, but at least our course is clear. I suppose this means that war is inevitable between our races unless we can find a way to communicate. Time will tell, I suppose.
Gaian: Well...good luck with that. I'm done for now.
Concerned Citizen: That's all right, Gaian. We at the GIB don't have a clear direction to proceed at this time anyway.
Gaian: Ah HA! You said it! You *are* the Gaians in Black. I *knew* it!
Concerned Citizen: And we knew you knew it, so don't get too full of yourself, Sherlock. Just be happy that I finally said it out loud to you.
Gaian: Happy? Why is that?
Concerned Citizen: Because that means we trust you enough not going to erase your mind and replace it with our standard accountant template.
Gaian: Oh good god. You would *do* that to me? An ACCOUNTANT? That's just inhuman!
Concerned Citizen: Welcome to the GIB, Gaian. Whether you like it or not.
Gaian: Oh. Good then, I guess. See ya later.
Concerned Citizen: Good day, citizen. And here's the reward we promised you for your service.
You just found the Recipe: Preda-Armor!
Concerned Citizen: If you'd like to do something else for us, while we consider the P3 issue further, then go find out more about those tiny masked creatures that are warring with the P3s out of the jungle to the northwest of here. It'd be good to know more about them, even if they're just more of the Animated.
Gaian: Okay, Caruthers. I'll think about it. Thanks.
Concerned Citizen: You did good here today, kid. Keep it up!

More to be added...

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Otami Ruins

To be added...

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Shallow Sea

To be added...

~MK

Ruthless Genius

29,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Links
Inbound and Outbound

Pie's Guide to Sets and Builds - Use the sets to your advantage and play the kind of character you want to play.
Bria's Guide to your zOMG Adventures: Quests, Animated &More - Information on quests, Animated and the Badges you collect.
[Makata]'s Guide to your Rings/Sets/Stats/G'hi/Rage - Guide about all the various Rings, Sets, G'hi Powers, Rage Effects and Character Stats.
[LIVING AMONGST THE OUTLAW PUPS] - A guide to zOMG etiquette.

zOMG based comics

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

More on their way...

~MK

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items