View Results

ryokomayuka

Familiar Member

10,400 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 am
I have a question. After Jesus was born did Mary really remain a virgin? Because I got to thinking since Jesus had at least one brother, James. What do you think?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 am
ryokomayuka
I have a question. After Jesus was born did Mary really remain a virgin? Because I got to thinking since Jesus had at least one brother, James. What do you think?

Roman Catholicism professes that Mary, the mother of Jesus was a virgin all her life and for some reason they strongly hold to this which was never written in Scripture. Jesus having brothers and sisters is based on Scriptural truth.

Matthew 12:46-50 (ESV)
While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. But he replied to the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Metanoeo

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:46 pm
of course not! lol its not possible to be married and rmain a virgin.i think its ironic really the way catholics believe mary remained a petulant virgin but are encouraged to have big families.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:47 pm
Reformed Baptist
ryokomayuka

Roman Catholicism professes that Mary, the mother of Jesus was a virgin all her life and for some reason they strongly hold to this which was never written in Scripture. Jesus having brothers and sisters is based on Scriptural truth.

Matthew 12:46-50 (ESV)
While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. But he replied to the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

he meant spirtually,hence the expression 'brethren'.he was giving an example for the people.  

PoppyDadswell

Sarcastic_Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:02 pm
I seriously doubt so. She was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, but then I believe she would most definitely have gone on to have sexual relations with her husbands. she was really young, and I just can't see how she could have gone her entire life without having sex.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm
Well...

"While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. But he replied to the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

That explains it.

And if you dont believe in the bible.
In the time Christ lived, a women who got married couldnt remain a virgin for 6 months. If so the bride would be:
1. Forced by the father to practice sexaul things with groom.
2. Would be divorced.

Very Occuastional the bride would be raped...

But times have changed...

I hope this helps my brother!  

dirtdevilgrunt13

Shiroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:05 pm
In Jesus's time, marriage wasn't real until it was consummated. Besides, why WOULD Mary remain a virgin? God told her and Joseph to remain celibate until the baby was born.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:07 am
ADirtyRottenPedophile
In Jesus's time, marriage wasn't real until it was consummated. Besides, why WOULD Mary remain a virgin? God told her and Joseph to remain celibate until the baby was born.
I am sorry.. But the same reason you cant stay away from little kids!
Lol

Ok, read my post!
Its the way of there life  

dirtdevilgrunt13

Shiroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:27 am
dirtdevilgrunt13
ADirtyRottenPedophile
I am sorry.. But the same reason you cant stay away from little kids!
Lol

Ok, read my post!

That made no sense whatsoever. I've never touched a kid. I try not to think about them. Please stop being illogical and start debating rationally.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:32 am
Jesus had a brother named James. Of course Mary went on to be a mother to other children. Why else would God care if Joseph married her or not? But she's called the Virgin because when she did the thing she's most famous for, having Jesus, she was one.  

Faith Fairy

Crew

Blessed Fairy

9,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Shiroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:37 am
Faith Fairy
Jesus had a brother named James. Of course Mary went on to be a mother to other children. Why else would God care if Joseph married her or not? But she's called the Virgin because when she did the thing she's most famous for, having Jesus, she was one.

Exactly. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:17 pm
ADirtyRottenPedophile
ADirtyRottenPedophile
Ok, read my post!

[edited to stay on topic by Faith Fairy]  

dirtdevilgrunt13

nat.wwjd.09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:45 pm
Mary lost her virginity to her husband after Jesus was born. None of her other children were concieved by the Holy Spirit.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:26 pm
In Aramaic, the word brother could be used to mean cousin, nieces, nephews or a slew of other close relatives. When the word was used in the NT writings to describe Jesus' brothers, they translated it as adelphos in Greek, which literally does mean blood brother. So the opportunity to proclaim Mary a virgin still remains, but the likelihood that it's true? .000003%  

IcarusDream

GO-YAFFA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 am
I highly doubt that she remained a virgin since a womans self worth at the time depended on how many children she had, specifically boys, and also since they were viewed more as property than people.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff