Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So, which choice? (Read below)
  A
  B
  C
  Other (post, cuz i think I was pretty thorough.)
View Results

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:22 pm
Well, here's my situation:
Fact 1: Making conlangs for books.

Fact2: Already have some character names that I really like in these langs.

Fact 3: I'd like to derive most words in my base langs from words in Earth languages. (books not set on Earth though)

Problem: The names I have don't seem to derive from any words I've found so far, and don't feel like using really obscure languages.

Should I A) derive all the words from Earth langs and reconstruct new name, B) keep the names as is, and reconstruct around them, or C) Keep the names and just make something completely a priori?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:03 pm
vampyre_smiles
Well, here's my situation:
Fact 1: Making conlangs for books.

Fact2: Already have some character names that I really like in these langs.

Fact 3: I'd like to derive most words in my base langs from words in Earth languages. (books not set on Earth though)

Problem: The names I have don't seem to derive from any words I've found so far, and don't feel like using really obscure languages.

Should I A) derive all the words from Earth langs and reconstruct new name, B) keep the names as is, and reconstruct around them, or C) Keep the names and just make something completely a priori?

What are the names? ^_^ (Sorry, I'm curious. x3)  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:40 pm
Homurakitsune

I'll give a few in no particular order:

Arith, Maringa, Solaith (three syllables), Daneth, Alix, Karuun, Nurrha (trilled r), Bethlemair, Takato, Anbyou (I could change this one), Leilom (three syllables).  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 am
vampyre_smiles
Homurakitsune

Arith, Maringa, Solaith (three syllables), Daneth, Alix, Karuun, Nurrha (trilled r), Bethlemair, Takato, Anbyou (I could change this one), Leilom (three syllables).

Well, it looks like you pronounce diphthongs by just pronouncing the vowels separately, so that's a start when it comes to phonetics, and I assume either "rr" or "rrh" makes the trilled "r" sound, right?  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:42 am
Homurakitsune
vampyre_smiles
Homurakitsune

Well, it looks like you pronounce diphthongs by just pronouncing the vowels separately, so that's a start when it comes to phonetics, and I assume either "rr" or "rrh" makes the trilled "r" sound, right?

The two names with diphthongs are from the same language, along with "Maringa".

"rr" is rolled r. So pronounced /nur:ha/ or about that.

Arith and Bethlemair are from the same language, which is related to the one that Daneth and Karuun come from. All the others are from seperate languages.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:06 pm
It's ok for your a posteri (sp?) language to diverge farther from your base language(s). So having names that seem odd wouldn't be such a bad thing... besides, names tend to derive from older names, from older languages (I mean, I certainly don't speak Greek, but my name comes straight from it!)  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:36 pm
Well, here's a basic break down of what I was originally planning to do with this:

- Take random words from langs I like, then regularize pronounciation. ="base" lang
- create two langs from the base, one for the Etre (gods) and one for Vrendhalk (demons).
- derive more languages from those, including borrowings, etc between langs.
- derive meanings for the names I already have.

But I might have to tweak the names to fit this, or tweak this to fit the names. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:34 pm
vampyre_smiles
Well, here's a basic break down of what I was originally planning to do with this:

- Take random words from langs I like, then regularize pronounciation. ="base" lang
- create two langs from the base, one for the Etre (gods) and one for Vrendhalk (demons).

But I might have to tweak the names to fit this, or tweak this to fit the names. lol

"Etre" = "to be" in French, was that planned? x3  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm
Homurakitsune
vampyre_smiles

"Etre" = "to be" in French, was that planned? x3

Not consciously, but I'd like to keep it really. It sort of "fits" for gods. You're the second to independantly point that out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 pm
I thought it was... wait, I'm the sencond to independently point it out? Did you have to tell everyone that besides me or something? confused  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

vampyre_smiles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm
Homurakitsune
I thought it was... wait, I'm the sencond to independently point it out? Did you have to tell everyone that besides me or something? confused

No, you and one other person pointed it out, then other people saw the connection.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:09 am
vampyre_smiles
Homurakitsune

No, you and one other person pointed it out, then other people saw the connection.

Oh! Ok. I do think you should keep it, though, I mush admit, it is fitting for "God". Is the pronounciation the same?  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:35 am
Not all words in a posteriori languages are based on existing languages...especially not names. Depending on how you make the language, I don't see why those couldn't fit in just fine.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:16 am
Homurakitsune

Oh! Ok. I do think you should keep it, though, I mush admit, it is fitting for "God". Is the pronounciation the same?

Yeah, I like having the /R/ in there. biggrin

Eccentric Iconoclast
Not all words in a posteriori languages are based on existing languages...especially not names. Depending on how you make the language, I don't see why those couldn't fit in just fine.

That's the thing. I don't know how I'm going to make the languages. sweatdrop I just know that those names fit the "feel" I want for each of those languages. I guess some names could just be sounds their owners or the person that named them like. Others would have meanings within their langs. The former works best with the Etre and Vrendhalk, the latter more for mortal races.  

vampyre_smiles

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:37 pm
vampyre_smiles
Homurakitsune

Yeah, I like having the /R/ in there. biggrin

Cool. (Although I don't really like the French "r". I prefer the German one.)  
Help!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff