Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Excuse me, but this is only depressing me more.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you get it?
  Yes
View Results

Kouture

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:40 pm
Okay, so I'm really sad on a rainy cloudy day.
So I pick up my bible and flip to Ecclesiates because it is supposed to be teaching about why life has meaning and happiness. But this is what I found instead:

Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!”

3 What do people get for all their hard work under the sun? 4 Generations come and generations go, but the earth never changes. 5 The sun rises and the sun sets, then hurries around to rise again. 6 The wind blows south, and then turns north. Around and around it goes, blowing in circles. 7 Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows out again to the sea. 8 Everything is wearisome beyond description......

It says

-The wise and foolish are the same because both will end up dead.
-Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. (Chapter 7)
-Sorrow is better than laughter. (Chapter 7 again)

And it continues on about how pointless life is....
It was actually quite depressive. XD.
Didn't help at all.
Could someone explain the meaning behind this if you know Ecclesiates.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:15 pm
What version are you using??? I'm totally lost. I looked through Ch. 7 of the KJV, and basically, it says that you shouldn't revel in the riches of the world. That sorrow is better than vain happiness because all things do come to an end. But if you spend all that time messing around like a fool rather than praising God like a wise man, you're just wasting your time. I hope that helped a bit. If you need anything else, just ask.  

vampy dave

Don Pepperoni

Angelic Ally

12,275 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:48 pm
thats depressing. but ive never red that in the bible  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm
Well, it all depends on the interpetation and the author.
I mean you read it as depressing, but someone else might take it and the cold-hard truth.
And we all go though mood swings, I think God inspired the author to show that we all go through those wink .  

SUPERSQUIRRELX

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:35 pm
Ecclesiastes isn't a depressing book. It talks about how life on this earth is, in the end, futile. We live, we do some stuff, and then we die. It's an infinitely short time compared to the eternity we will spend in the afterlife. Read it closer, and you'll see it's all really about how important the afterlife is, and not this life.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games