Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:58 am
^^;;;  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:50 am
I vote for finnish vowels mixed with another vowels and long/nasal distinction ^^  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Karaiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:24 pm
This conlang will be impossible to speak with you people on the job. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:07 pm
What do you mean by "other vowels" though?  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 am
Eccentric Iconoclast
What do you mean by "other vowels" though?

Something like /a e E i o O u y/ and their long and/or nasalized versions.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:12 pm
What, no /2/? sad

I think that often the distinctions between /e/ and /E/ and /o/ and /O/ are too slight and probably wouldn't work with nasalisation, which tends to cause a fair bit of allophony.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Hawk_McKrakken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:21 pm
Sano Parmandil
I don't agree too much with that. First, flavour can be decided with sounds. Second, phonetical representations are very easier than non-phonetical ones. Third, if others collaborative conlangs do that, so it's because it is better than another things. A little brazilian proverb say: Two heads think better than one. If very very much people decide do a phonetical conlang, it's better than a non-phonetical one. (I know my last answer wasn't a very much understandable one, but... sweatdrop )

1-Easy? Are we a bunch of middle-schoolers? We want a bit of a challenge. Otherwise, what kind of conlangers are we?

2-It's just a suggestion, I wasn't forcing anything upon anyone. Isn't that what we're supposed to do when collaborating? Make suggestions?

3-And if all of us stuck to the same ideal, every time, all the time, conlangs would begin to get monotonous and repetitive after a while. Phonetics are no exception.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:10 pm
1-Some of the people here aren't very much graduated nor some of them know so much linguistics as us. I was just thinking om them.

2-I've also only made a suggestion, it still is the guild as a whole who will decide.

3-You have a point there, but I think we shouldn't get the things very much difficult, because this is meant to be this guild conlang, and, as I said before, there aren't too much people with much knowledge.

Well, if Phonetics don't turn in anything chaotic... I think it's ok 3nodding (but I still think we should do the phonemes a bit more difficult than allophones mrgreen ).  

Sano Parmandil
Crew

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:37 pm
I kind of like the no-syllable-stress and funky diphthong suggestions, but I don't think we should have SO MANY VOWELS. gonk

The usual minimal 5 Spanish vowels thing seems too few of course, but it looks like you guys are making vowel-dominant conlang here. Like Sano Parmandil said, there are a lot of people here who aren't that well educated in conlangs (or rather, few with so much knowledge, to not mince words).

If you're REALLY making this conlang to be a guild-wide USABLE conlang, I'd really suggest making it something as easy as possible without taking away the uniqueness of the language. That way, even new members who may not know anything at all about conlanging and linguistics can catch on quickly.

I suggest a simple vowel system with simple predefined diphthongs. Maybe 6 to 10 basic vowel sounds, and then from those vowels there could be maybe 10 or so diphthongs, such as "eu" sounds like "oy" as in German (that's not too hard to remember, right?). Maybe there could be situations where a vowel changes its sound when the spelling is done a certain way, to spice it up.

I would also strongly advise against using any umlauted, accented, graved, acuted or other marked vowels (and consonants for that matter) because a lot of people won't know how to make them, and in general they are a pain to type on a standard keyboard. If you have to, you could do it kinda like Esperanto and older German text, where a vowel with an umlaut can be written "vowel + e" or something.

Sorry if any of this sounds aggressive, commanding or condescending. I'm not in the best of moods at the moment. surprised

EDIT: Yes, I know there are vowel and diphthong threads. I figured this was a general enough post to not be restricted to either thread.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:15 pm
I'm all in favor of a simple vowel system. See Finnish for details. mad D

How about this? biggrin

/a e i o u { 2 y a: e: i: o: u: {: 2: y:/, written as...

?  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
I'm all in favor of a simple vowel system. See Finnish for details. mad D

How about this? biggrin

/a e i o u { 2 y a: e: i: o: u: {: 2: y:/, written as...

?

Can we get some sort of phonetically spelled examples for clarification? I currently have no clue what any of that means or how they should sound. eek

EDIT: I looked up the Finnish vowels, and I like how they do it.

"ah" "eh" "ih" "oh" "oo" "oouh" "ae" and "eoh" is how I see them.... Does Finnish not have an "ee" sound?

Also, vowel harmony sounds like a good idea. I think it will help the language keep a more consistent look, spelling, and sound.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:32 am
It does in all of the Finnish that I've heard. o.O

And not an "ih" sound to my knowledge either. The name of the language is pronounced "suomee," not "suomih."  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:37 pm
So... Once we have all the sounds have been figured out and such, we'll have one big thread with everything summarized and organized, right?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 am
Yes. ^^;  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:46 am
Good~

This is all a whole veritable lot of confusing muck right now, and it's only Vowels, Diphthongs, and Consonants. o_o

Also, I'll volunteer now to do some sample/example audio recordings once we're far enough along. XD  
Collaborative Conlang

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff