Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Harry Potter Book Mistakes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spastic waffles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:13 pm
Ok, I know I've already said something about the thesterals, but I haven't ever seen anyone mention this.

Shouldn't Harry have first seen them at the end of book four, not the beginning of book five? He saw Cedric die, and we know that caused him to be able to see the thesterals. But, at the end of book four, they were still reffered to as "horseless carriages."

Oh, and in case anyone wonders about him not being able to see them all along, mugglenet.com has Jo's reasoning: you have to realize you've seen someone die. As Harry was only one, he didn't realize what was going on when his parents were killed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:35 am
Amba Smith
In The Philosopher's Stone Pg 205 during the chess match, it said that Ron was the knight in the giant chess set. However, it later said that he had to 'move ahead one' so the Queen could take him, opening the path for Harry to checkmate the king. If he was a knight, then he wouldn't be able to only move forward 1 square.
Ahh, good one, little sister!

I don't notice mistakes. I'm not a complete fanatic. I mean, I like the series enough, but not enough to read inside out and back to front.

However, these are very interesting.  

jackandthemysticpineapple

Snollygoster

Tipsy Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:41 pm
Ahh, there are TONS of mistakes listed on mugglenet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:19 am
I've got one...on the laws of physics actually! lol. In the Chamber od Secrets when Harry and Ron land in the Whomping Willow, one of the branches hits Harry's side of the car and he falls into Ron's lap. That really doesn't make sence becuse if a force hits you when theres a space between you and the force, you go towards the force! Oh well, I didn't really mind that much, but my b/f is a physics wiz and pointed that right out! lol  

miti_mouse

[Dreams.of.Sweets]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:03 pm
~Randomnality~
J.K. can't always be perfect. Post the mistakes that you know about and or found out.

Here's a couple:

Every year, students board the Hogwarts Express on September 1, and the next day when their classes start, it's always a Monday. How can September 2 be a Monday EVERY year?

In book one, it says that Percy had a silver prefects' badge. In book five, it says that the prefects' badges are scarlet and gold.

Do you have any?

I don't really mind those type of mistakes. She does have a few typos though but less than you'd expect from one with kids and alot of things to do. What bothers me is the differences between the books and movies like how harry's scar moves and his eyes go from green to blue, and his hair from black to brown. Other than that though, everything is all peachy with me. ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:21 am
In the second book Percy who is a prefect docks five house points off of Ron and Harry cause he catches them outside Myrtle's bathroom, but in Fifth book when Umbrige has her Inquisitors Squad and Malfoy takes points off of everyone Hermione complains that it isn't fair because Prefects can't dock house points.
Does J.K.R just kinda change the rules as she goes along or something?  

DoktorJackal

Lonely Phantom

11,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100

unopend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 am
JackalGod
In the second book Percy who is a prefect docks five house points off of Ron and Harry cause he catches them outside Myrtle's bathroom, but in Fifth book when Umbrige has her Inquisitors Squad and Malfoy takes points off of everyone Hermione complains that it isn't fair because Prefects can't dock house points.
Does J.K.R just kinda change the rules as she goes along or something?

no, she said prefects can't take points from other prefects.  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:29 pm
I have one. In the sixth book, Dumbledor says that they couldn't keep a DADA teacher for more then a year since he refused to give the spot to Lord Voldemort. But in the first book, (pgs 70-71) Hagrid was talking about Professor Quirrell and he said, "...He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then HE TOOK A YEAR OFF ter get some first-hand experience... (I added the caps) How could he take a year off if he only worked there for one year?  

[~Ranma Chan~]

unopend

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:15 pm
Kajinra
I have one. In the sixth book, Dumbledor says that they couldn't keep a DADA teacher for more then a year since he refused to give the spot to Lord Voldemort. But in the first book, (pgs 70-71) Hagrid was talking about Professor Quirrell and he said, "...He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then HE TOOK A YEAR OFF ter get some first-hand experience... (I added the caps) How could he take a year off if he only worked there for one year?

i noticed that too! i think about it all the time ... because thats important to the plot too.
but then again, Quirrel was a voldemort servent...so mabye he didn't count...because it was voldemort who cursed the job..
*ponders*  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:40 pm
Spastic waffles
Book five: Harry saw his parents die. So therefore, he should have been able to see the Thestrals all along, not just after he saw Cedric die.

She explained that: he was so young and the memory was so suppressed that it didn't allow him to see thestrals.  

GleeptheDragon

GleeptheDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:44 pm
~I Love Mr Walrus~
In The Philosopher's Stone Pg 205 during the chess match, it said that Ron was the knight in the giant chess set. However, it later said that he had to 'move ahead one' so the Queen could take him, opening the path for Harry to checkmate the king. If he was a knight, then he wouldn't be able to only move forward 1 square.

It means one move. who would say "move ahead 3 and right 1." it's a waste of breath. especially an 11-year-old who isn't too concerned with grammar in the first place and is playing for his life at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 pm
Spastic waffles
Ok, I know I've already said something about the thesterals, but I haven't ever seen anyone mention this.

Shouldn't Harry have first seen them at the end of book four, not the beginning of book five? He saw Cedric die, and we know that caused him to be able to see the thesterals. But, at the end of book four, they were still reffered to as "horseless carriages."

Oh, and in case anyone wonders about him not being able to see them all along, mugglenet.com has Jo's reasoning: you have to realize you've seen someone die. As Harry was only one, he didn't realize what was going on when his parents were killed.

she also explained that: a) it hadn't totally sunk in yet. b) she couldn't really open a can of worms like that at the very end with all that other stuff for us to think about, could she?  

GleeptheDragon

-o- Trinity -o-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:01 pm
GleeptheDragon
Spastic waffles

she also explained that: a) it hadn't totally sunk in yet. b) she couldn't really open a can of worms like that at the very end with all that other stuff for us to think about, could she?

... damn i really need to reread the books again...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:28 am
Spastic waffles
Book five: Harry saw his parents die. So therefore, he should have been able to see the Thestrals all along, not just after he saw Cedric die.

ninja He may not have ACTUALLY seen them die. Plus JK said it wasn't just the death of someone - It needs to sink in properly. ninja

Poor_huni

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

miniunfortunado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:36 pm
Diana_Faye
This is huge one! Fred and George were in their sixth year (which was their last year as well) and before they went to Hogwarts they came of age (17) and had started apparating, which means they were 12 not 11 when they first entered Hogwarts. (It says when they are leaving something along the lines of, "We don't need to come back for another year.")

Another one I found was in OotP. It says harry is going to start his Charms essay and then he's reading all these ingredients, afterwards it also mentions Snape. (This happens in the UK version right before Dobby comes in to tell Harry about the Room of Requirement)

yeah, but they're birthday's are late, their b-day is april fools day.....  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff