Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 4: The Three R's, (Lit) RP, Reviews, & Reports (Debate/Essays/Creative Writing)
Moral Debate (kind of, I'll explain inside.)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What makes us human?
  Biology; science says, therefore it is true.
  We are just animals; everything is dog eat dog.
  Right and wrong, knowing the difference and acting on it.
  Humans can only be such if they have humanity and you can only have this when you respect life in all forms.
View Results

Ryore the Wronged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 pm
I'd like to start with, Sara-ane, I'm sorry if this is not properly titled or if I'm wrong for posting it all; I just wasn't sure what to do and I really want to know everyones opinion.

Okay, Now for the real reason I'm here. At lunch today some friends and I were having a morality discussion (it originally started in art class, but I wont drag you back that far). The base of our discussion was, what makes humans human. One kid at the table said it was sceince, by simply being scientifically labeled human we are. Another said that humans are just like animals, we fight to survive and it is the only thing that matters; the stronger you are the longer you personally will survive. My teacher thought that we were only human if we could truely respect all life no matter how big or small. That if you had no respect for anothers life than you couldn't call yourself human, that wanting to kill someone for any reason murders your own humanity. I said that morality made us human becuase you can look at any other animal race and they have order and survival, but a lioness doesn't think 'oh it was probably wrong of me to kill that antelope for dinner,' (not that I'm aware off anyway). We define right and wrong in our minds (even though everyone has a different view of it) and this sets up our moral standards for what we will and will not do.

I want to know what you guys think; are humans simply based on biology, are we just animals, or is there more to us than meets the eye?

(I must say 'm sorry if this is a little incoherent, it's late her and I've just spent all day ranting.)  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm
Do you know of any other animal that can go through the moral reasoning process that you and your friends went through? I personally do not know of any. Neither did the professor of my moral reasoning class. And that was his answer. The fact that we are capable of this level of reasoning is what sets apart from animals.  

The Puckette

Aged Shapeshifter

7,500 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

dark.not_evil

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:32 pm
I suppose that when you say 'humanity' you mean 'compassion'?

Personally, I believe the reason we are human is because of our compassion for people we don't even know and even our enemies at times, along with several other factors like how to invent complex machines.

Course, I could be fallable about this, so I wouldn't take me too seriously just yet.

Oh, and having opposable thumbs helps. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:11 pm
human is only a title such as canine or equine but we are defined by all of them our ability to decide what is wrong or right and by science if there were a creature with features of a dog and a man what would he be? we would consider him an animal if he thought like a dog but would we call him a human if he thought like us? no we most likely would not, there isn't a reall answer to this question kinda like what is the meaning of life it all depends on who or what you are  

skimfox

Naushina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:54 pm
You have asked for more than you may want, but here is my opinion.

1. Nariae Roquin many animals go through the same reasoning everyday
just to live. Sound a little human.

2. dark.not_evil compassion, animals show compassion in not killing just
to kill, they only kill for food and let the rest live. That is also called
compassion. And monkeys have 4 opposable thumbs.

3. skimfox loved your answer, you are wise.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:25 pm
It depends on the question you're asking. Are you talking in a physical sense or in a metaphoric sense?

If you have something that looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and acts like a dog- then you have a dog. Physical description is how we categorize things in science. It doesn't matter if that dog thinks it's morally wrong to judge, it's still a dog. The same goes for humans. Just because a man commits a crime, doesn't mean he is some other being.

I don't much like that description so I prefer to think in terms of humanity instead of being human. Displaying humanity means to possess the ability to rationalize. It is what separates us most from other animals. Thinking takes us to a higher plane, above that of the physical world. We can think inwardly, and it is from ourselves that morality comes from.

Also, you can't separate human beings from animals. We are animals. Just because we have cognizance doesn't make us any better. In some cases it makes us worse. You can only commit a sin, if you know what sins are. Animals are innocent, we are not (unless you're a child).  

justamat

AshIynn

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 pm
I'd say we're human because we were born as such, its just a label. So matter what one thinks or looks like or does they are still simply a human being. Humans are just more capable than most animals and thats what sets us apart. I'd say we had a greater capacity for compassion but other animals are similar to us in a sense. Crows for example (I think) live in family groups and go visit each other and chatter to one another.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:23 am
Our ability to learn and to associate what we've learned in an advanced dynamic manner with the situation at hand. In other words, the ability to 'learn' without being 'taught'. Creativity (inferencing, estimation, the other things in their class), and therefore (not vice versa) the ability to reason on a far deeper level than any other creature alive today (to our knowledge)

Our prejudices (morals, manners, common sense, etc.) define for the quite large part who we are, but who are is an entirely different thing from being human.

skimfox: Another very logical way to answer this question; 'what make us human is only what each person thinks makes us human'. But, do other animals have the capability to ponder this question?

The other people who said it's just a label, yes, everything is only as we can define it, but I don't think that is the question you were asking.  

Taylor_169

Bishielurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12 pm
I agree with a previous poster...it really depends on how you define "human" and if you mean physically or morally or what. It's kind of a personal thing.

To me, humans are humans for the same reason a dog is a dog. Someone decided, "Hey, if you meet these requirments, you're a human!" There are people who incapable of reasoning right from wrong, incapable of compassion, but they are still human. And, I just like to point out because everyone seems to forget this and it irks me...humans are animals.

I always kind of liked this quote; "Why are humans at the top of the food chain? Not because we are physically gifted or really even smarter than every other animal...it's because we're so damn good at killing every other animal." I don't really know if it's related, but I like it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:40 pm
I believe that most of the debate of what makes one Human is that some people incorrectly believe that Human = Humane.
Humans are most certainly not simply animals either. In my experience, anyone I've ever met who believes that is rationalizing any number of actions that have conflicted with their own morals, Usually the sex-addicted in my experience.

Simply put, the one thing that sets Humans apart is self-awareness. Animals do not think internally, they are governed entirely by instinct. They don't consciously think, "I'm hungry", "I'm sad", or anything comparable to that. They're just capable of recognizing that they are, and acting on that.
It's really kind of difficult to imagine actually. The closest thing I could compare it to is if there was no language. You'd have no terms with which to define anything.

Sadly, the only requirement to being Human is that self-awareness, which is why those people that think, "Human = Humane", annoys me so much. Most often they also fall under the category of white-knight wannabe hyperidealists, who I despise oh-so very much.

EDIT:
Your poll has put into words my point exactly, specifically the third option.
All Humans are capable of recognizing right and wrong. And in my experience, the only people who disagree with this are the idiots who think that people are forced to follow their moral compass. People do what they think is right, but far more often do they do what they think is wrong. Even people with severe mental illnesses know when they've done wrong, as indicated when they try to hide their wrongs.

Arguably, compassion could also be our defining quality, but I'd say not. Sure, Humans are the only ones to demonstrate it, but not all Humans. All Humans demonstrate a recognition of right and wrong however.

Animals are incapable of knowing right from wrong. They may know that a certain consequence will follow an action through experience, and they may wish to avoid that consequence, but that is the extent of their abilities.  

Elektro7

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Zero-The-Hunter 500

Magnetic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 pm
To me, the sence of being human is merely a Title or label, although its one that must be granted upon you, not that you self-bestow. It is something that merely means you are a rational-like being(So to speak) When your "Human" You pretty much know what is what, let me give you an example, say you meet up with someone that discontents you to no end, you think what you do in your mind but in the end, only 5 results possibly unfold:
A) you hold your breath and you (Possibly) Speak of it to someone to prevent further anger.

B) you Politely attempt to speak your mind, while using tact to attempt to make the person understand

C) Same as B, only without the politeness, most likely in a rude tone.

D) You get up to the persons face and Yell your Whiny Arse off until you leave the place and (likely) Hit a thing or two.

E) Think " Screw this" And Beat the ******** out of the person until he is screaming for mercy(Or at least try, That one seems common to me.)

Based on these five results, we are not all the same, nor is the definition of Humanism. It is not one Meaning, more as a thousand of them. The fact that we have Sentience means no different. We maybe sentient, but to be human that is an entirely different matter, May you believe in compasion going the long way, or try and be Lawful, or Let your Rage out in an Innanimate object, to prevent such grave actions on others. It is only up to the person or the wielder of such but Humanism does not come without restrictions, We try to rationalize everything, but answer me. If you have a Dying Parent and you steal a bank to obtain the money to (Give her treatment, Grant his/ her final wish, Pay for the Funeral) It maybe worth it now, but is it worth it later? If you see someone, Injured on the floor, regardless if you know him/ her or not, will you help the person up, or just walk by, like there was nothing there?

Those Answers, are in your mind. But it dosen't mean it'll be all right, some think based on the community, some think by themselves, some think based on the consequences to their loved ones, some think of the Balance of the Law, and some merely think for the heck out of it, or cause Turmoil, whatever you are, is what you determine is human, for again, Humanism, it maybe one word, yet it wields a thousand more.  
4: The Three R's, (Lit) RP, Reviews, & Reports (Debate/Essays/Creative Writing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games