Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:29 pm
Taste The Saline Rolling Down Your Cheekbone, Feel Your Heart It Breaks Within Your Chest Now...

Word of the Day for Monday, May 5, 2008

fustian FUHS-chuhn, noun:

1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.
3. Made of fustian.
4. Pompous; ridiculously inflated; bombastic.

Don't squander the court's patience puffing your cheeks up on stately bombast and lofty fustian. Speak plainly!
-- Richard Dooling, Brain Storm

His stated motive is to meet "the flood of cant, fustian and emotional nonsense which pollutes the intellectual atmosphere."
-- Walter H. Waggoner, "Joseph W. Bishop Jr., Law Professor and Author", New York Times, May 21, 1985

It would take a stout heart to read through all the loyal effusions and fustian birthday odes of the 18th-century laureates -- Nahum Tate, Colley Cibber and the rest.
-- John Gross, "In Search of a Laureate: Making Book on Britain's Next Official Poet", New York Times, July 15, 1984

Fustian derives from Old French fustaigne, from Medieval Latin fustaneum, but its precise roots beyond that point are uncertain.

...I Hear Sound Echo In The Emptiness, All Around, But You Can't Change This Loneliness. Look At What You Found. I Am Falling Down

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 pm
Taste The Saline Rolling Down Your Cheekbone, Feel Your Heart It Breaks Within Your Chest Now...

Word of the Day for Sunday, May 4, 2008

disparate DIS-puh-rit; dis-PAIR-it, adjective:

1. Fundamentally different or distinct in quality or kind.
2. Composed of or including markedly dissimilar elements.

Science at its best isolates a common element underlying many seemingly disparate phenomena.
-- John Horgan, The Undiscovered Mind

A Region Not Home," though it encompasses topics as seemingly disparate as Shakespeare, football, suicide, racism and Disneyland, actually has considerable thematic coherence.
-- Phillip Lopate, "Dreaming of Elsewhere", New York Times, February 27, 2000

When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary.
-- T.S. Eliot, "The Metaphysical Poets"

Disparate comes from the past participle of Latin disparare, "to separate," from dis-, "apart" + parare, "to prepare."

...I Hear Sound Echo In The Emptiness, All Around, But You Can't Change This Loneliness. Look At What You Found. I Am Falling Down

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Word of the Day for Saturday, May 3, 2008

sub rosa suhb-ROH-zuh, adverb:

1. Secretly; privately; confidentially.
2. Designed to be secret or confidential; secretive; private.

Unlike progressive educators of the past, who openly proclaimed their goals, today's multiculturalists are generally unwilling to engage the wider public in open debate about their methods, preferring to promote their agenda sub rosa.
-- Sol Stern, "Losing Our Language", Commentary, May 1999

Second, Abramson argues that since a certain amount of jury nullification goes on anyway, sub rosa, it should be brought out into the open.
-- Richard A. Posner, "Juries on trial", Commentary, March 1, 1995

The investigators said that a major purpose of the sub-rosa activities was to create so much confusion, suspicion and dissension that the Democrats would be incapable of uniting after choosing a presidential nominee.
-- Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, "FBI Finds Nixon Aides Sabotaged Democrats", Washington Post, October 10, 1972

The atmosphere of gloom and dislocation only thickened, though, and Marty found himself in over his head in a world of shadowy fixers, sub-rosa deputies of the C.I.A. and the mob.
-- Stephen Metcalf, "Fraud S&M and St. Francis: A Riotous Bull-Market Fable", New York Observer, March 25, 2002

Sub rosa comes from the Latin, literally "under the rose," from the ancient association of the rose with confidentiality, the origin of which traces to a famous story in which Cupid gave Harpocrates, the god of silence, a rose to bribe him not to betray the confidence of Venus. Hence the ceilings of Roman banquet-rooms were decorated with roses to remind guests that what was spoken sub vino (under the influence of wine) was also sub rosa.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Word of the Day for Friday, May 2, 2008

halcyon HAL-see-uhn, noun:

1. A kingfisher.
2. A mythical bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was fabled to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice and to calm the waves during incubation.
3. Calm; quiet; peaceful; undisturbed; happy; as, "deep, halcyon repose."
4. Marked by peace and prosperity; as, "halcyon years."

It seems to be that my boyhood days in the Edwardian era were halcyon days.
-- Mel Gussow, "At Home With John Gielgud: His Own Brideshead, His Fifth 'Lear'", New York Times, October 28, 1993

It is a common lament that children today grow up too fast, that society is conspiring to deprive them of the halcyon childhood they deserve.
-- Keith Bradsher, "Fear of Crime Trumps the Fear of Lost Youth", New York Times, November 21, 1999

It was a halcyon life, cocktails and bridge at sunset, white jackets and long gowns at dinner, good gin and Gershwin under the stars.
-- Elizabeth M. Norman, We Band of Angels

Halcyon derives from Latin (h)alcyon, from Greek halkuon, a mythical bird, kingfisher. This bird was fabled by the Greeks to nest at sea, about the time of the winter solstice, and, during incubation, to calm the waves.

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Word of the Day for Thursday, May 1, 2008

cloy KLOY, transitive verb:

1. To weary by excess, especially of sweetness, richness, pleasure, etc.
2. To become distasteful through an excess usually of something originally pleasing.

The opulence, the music, the gouty food -- all start to cloy my senses.
-- Jeffrey Tayler, "The Moscow Rave part two: I Have Payments to Make on My Mink", Atlantic, December 31, 1997

I use orange and lemon zest in the recipe and a drizzle of soured cream at the table to take away its tendency to cloy.
-- Nigel Slater, "Cream tease", The Observer, December 14, 2003

The soft Orvieto Abboccato has just enough sweetness to please but not to cloy, a friendly character that tempts one to linger over a second glass.
-- George Pandi, "Orvieto's pleasures deserve to be savored like its wine", Boston Herald, July 18, 2004

Cloy is short for obsolete accloy, "to clog," alteration of Middle English acloien, "to lame," from Middle French encloer, "to drive a nail into," from Medieval Latin inclavare, from Latin in, "in" + clavus, "nail."

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Word of the Day for Wednesday, April 30, 2008

lenity LEN-uh-tee, noun:

The state or quality of being lenient; mildness; gentleness of treatment; leniency.

The criminal suspect is pressured by remorse or hope of lenity or sheer despair to fess up.
-- Richard A. Posner, "Let Them Talk", The New Republic, August 21, 2000

In this context, severity is justice, lenity injustice.
-- Dr Anthony Daniels, "It's no way to treat a lunatic", Sunday Telegraph, December 13, 1998

. . .an excessive lenity toward criminals, which encourages crime.
-- Richard A. Posner, "The Moral Minority", New York Times, December 19, 1999

And what makes robbers bold but too much lenity?
-- William Shakespeare, Henry VI, part III

Lenity comes from Latin lenitas, from lenis, "soft, mild."

Dictionary.com Entry and Pronunciation for lenity

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Mullaha

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am
apple  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:16 am
User Image

O:
Cocoa Puffs are so good.

MrsFail

Gotham Girlz

Dangerous Genius

4,500 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:36 pm
The Word of the Day for November 02, 2008 is:

gauche • GOHSH • adjective

1 : lacking social experience or grace; also : not tactful : crude

2 : crudely made or done

Example Sentence:

"I can't believe she'd be so gauche as to ask you how much money you earn," Courtney huffed.

Did you know?

"Gauche" is one of several words that come from old suspicions or negative associations surrounding the left side and use of the left hand. In French, "gauche" literally means "left," and it has the extended meanings "awkward" and "clumsy."

Presumably these meanings came about because left-handed people could appear awkward trying to manage in a right-handed world -- or perhaps because right-handed people appear awkward when they try to use their left hand.

In fact, "awkward" itself comes from the Middle English "awke," meaning "turned the wrong way" or "left-handed."

On the other hand, "adroit" and "dexterity" have their roots in words meaning "right" or "on the right side."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 pm
Rainbow-Power Kool-Aid
My least favorite part of my subforum, since I support good grammar (and at least attempting to be literate). I don't criticize others, since we all make mistakes somewhere. Post whatever you'd like here EXCEPT advertisements of all kinds.

I would like to advertise Kool-Aid, particlularly new Rainbow Powered Kool-Aid, with a taste that says YUM!  

Vicious Lemon

Vicious Hunter

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
19: ~*This Could Be Coco Puffs!!! (POLLS WELCOME!!)*~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers